• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Celebrating by firing your gun in the air, really?!?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
There are Oakley stores and Oakley Vault Outlet stores - that and Peter is required by his keeper to frequent our colonial capital on a regular basis.

That and maybe he just wants to "look" at the newest camera gadgets near there :cool:

The Williamsburg one is very pro gun. I was greeted with "What are you carrying today?".

After hearing how I damaged my Oakley's and the great injury I suffered by using my ramrod as a harpoon to save Boy Scouts from a Great White Shark in the Meherrin river, they agreed to remold the broken piece on my glasses, plus I got a 50% discount on a new pair.:uhoh:

Last edited:

Repeater

Marsh confirms he will introduce a bill

Senator eyes tougher penalties for celebratory gunfire
Senator Henry Marsh attended the funeral of little Brendon Mackey. He says it was right then that he decided he wanted to take action.

"Celebratory gunfire is a universal problem," Marsh said.

Though four months have passed since someone shot and killed Brendon during Fourth of July festivities in Brandermill, a new effort to try to prevent this from happening again is just getting started.

"On holidays, people shoot up in the air regularly, and it's more chance of someone getting hurt, injured, or killed when those bullets come down," Senator Marsh added.

So he is preparing new legislation - increasing penalties for celebratory gunfire that injures or kills a person - even if the shooter is shooting from their private property.

"We're studying all ranges of punishments," he said.

Marsh says right now in Virginia, investigators must prove someone who hurt another person with celebratory gunfire intended to do so. What he's calling "Brendon's Law" would remove that requirement. He's expecting huge support from lawmakers, because he says this is an issue that extends beyond the politics.

"I think this is something that we should get Democrats and Republicans, because the bullet doesn't have any party affiliation. It could hurt anyone. This is a human problem," Marsh said.

This is a human problem.

This is a personal responsibility problem.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Really really need more laws....that'll solve the problem.

Pass a law and irresponsible people will automatically become responsible.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
We are going to be buried in every type of anti gun bill imaginable Grape.

I guess that means we won't be bored for a while.

Problem is all of that upsets my agenda, which did not include double shot loads for my punts :p

nuc65

Activist Member
Bigger Issue

I think the bigger issue is looming and it includes gun rights and all our other rights. I see the beginnings of articles where pundits, professors, legal advisers and other assorted vermin are publishing articles that say that our Constitution and Bill of Rights are obsolete and should not be used. They use various arguments, such as no other government has ever adopted a constitution like ours, or how our Constitution is no longer relevant due to age, longevity or some such other. I could spend way too much time arguing about how our Constitution was written by common men in an uncommon time and that is why no government has ever adopted a similar one is because it is the power mongers and the tyrants that make a constitution to their view of the world. Ours was written to limit government, and indeed has succeeded where others have failed, although I submit that our government has begun to destroy and ignore our constitution. I think today our Constitution and Bill of Rights is even more relevant as government seeks to make it less relevant. This is the real fight, restoring the Constitution as the law of the land including limited government which has become unlimited as it seeks to take all I have worked for its own coffers and those of its allies. The Second Amendment was there as a tool to aid where the First Amendment fails, such as now where the propaganda machine of the liberal media has taken over and the truth is hidden under so many lies that the common man can no longer make an informed decision at the polls. It is time for a new Continental Congress, no politicians, no lawyers, no one but God fearing common men to add to the bill of rights and reappoint a new electorate with some rules about the senate and the congress and remove the mistakes the Supreme Court has made in its new interpretations of the Constitution.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Am I wrong, or is it already illegal to fire your gun, injuring or killing someone, without a lawful justification?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

You're wrong!
In Virginia they must prove intent or gross recklessness. Firing your gun certainly isn't illegal and accidents aren't either.

JustaShooter

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I was going off of peter nap's post, so that very well could be. So, to rephrase, wouldn't firing a gun into the air in a populated area be considered "reckless handling of firearms"?

As indicated before 18.2-56.1 seems to define that it is:

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to handle recklessly any firearm so as to endanger the life, limb or property of any person.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I was going off of peter nap's post, so that very well could be. So, to rephrase, wouldn't firing a gun into the air in a populated area be considered "reckless handling of firearms"?

That was my phrase, not a legal term. Yes I suppose it could be considered reckless handling but it rarely is,
Firing a gun in the air is common and accepted, generally a shotgun but still not defined.

So yeah...the answer is could be but isn't often. I know of one instance.