• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cheapest Ammunition is at Walmart!?

Trigger Dr

The difference in the case head does not affect loading, and does not affect cambering. Let us also remember, which I thought as a 45 year reloader were aware we are talking fired cases. Which means the negligible case dimensions has been changed by firing. After cutting, annealing, trimming the case is RESIZED to correct size. The .223 case has to endure double the pressure that the 9mm does, if any case is going to rupture it would be the lighter made 9mm case, which they have. In fact that is the reason people who build high pressure loads exceeding max pressures turn to rifle cases. Just as using a 308 case for 45 high pressure. It has been a common practice for as long as I have been alive, with legends like Cooper advocating the use of rifle cases for wildcat pistol rounds. For such a expert you know little of the RD that has made large inroads to current cartridges. I again call BS!

Let us not forget and I would hope as a expert you would know that hot loaded cases are marked or stamped for a reason. A plus P load in light gun could be devastating to the gun as well as the shooter. Yea that would be so responsible to put HOT loads in a standard case so someone else might blow their hands off.

Let us not forget that the 9x23 was developed, not as a "regular" 9mm, but as a cartridge to be used competetivly against rounds like the 38 super, which has case dimentions more closely resembling the .223 than does the 9mm. That being said, the 38 super still has different dimensions than the .223.
Your argument has some merit, but still reflects a true lack of safe reloading practices.

Last edited:

Trigger Dr

I have never heard that... and I think doing that would be tremendously stupid and unsafe. All the extra time to prep the .223 into 9mm too!

Anybody who wants to do this, PM me. I will gladly trade you 9mm brass for your .223 brass.. one for one.

Dan, I have a batch of .223 that I will give you. Some of it is commercial, and some reloaded once.

WalkingWolf

Let us not forget that the 9x23 was developed, not as a "regular" 9mm, but as a cartridge to be used competetivly against rounds like the 38 super, which has case dimentions more closely resembling the .223 than does the 9mm. That being said, the 38 super still has different dimensions than the .223.
Your argument has some merit, but still reflects a true lack of safe reloading practices.

There is nothing more unsafe than reloading HOT rounds in a unmarked case and used in non approved gun. It is just stoooopid!

Trimming .223, and .308 is an accepted practice, and has been. The minimal difference in size is not there on a fired case, actually the case has exceeded the original dimensions after being fired. Yet as an expert you are unaware of this.

Trigger Dr

Jim, appreciate the offer! Am actually trying to get a few tables for the Oct WAC, you going to have a table?

No more tables for me or my partner. After the debacle with the show turning into an off site FFL dealer venue, I will let my membership lapse and never return. This after being a member for 35 years.
I will bring the brass to your table though.

Last edited:

aa1911

ammoseek.com is a good place to shop everywhere at once.

Fiocchi JHP pistol ammo is about the same price as cheapo practice ammo so I've been buying that lately, only about $21/box of 50 for SD ammo!

I primarily reload though, I don't shoot very much factory ammo other than AK and rimfire stuff. But for SD I use commercial rounds. the Fiocchi's seem to be the best deal lately, Wholesale Sports in Lacey, WA has a ton in .40 and .45

DeltaOps

Just to ty to get this thread back on topic. SPORTCO has some good deals every once in a while. I just picked up a box of 50 .45 acp for 15 plus my 5% discount for bing a member. I know its not pistol but bought a box of 20 308 for 15 plus 5% discount as well. Online like some others have mentioned is good as well, but I usually try not to buy online anymore. I want to be home when it is delivered and sometimes it is just not that practical, so I will hit the local stores and see whats on sell.

TechnoWeenie

Any experience with their AR parts? They have some decent prices on that as well.

My entire build is with their parts, with the exception of the handguard, which is Troy...(AFG, Hogue,etc)

SAA Upper/Lower, SAA barrel, etc..

AR.jpg

twoskinsonemanns

My entire build is with their parts, with the exception of the handguard, which is Troy...(AFG, Hogue,etc)

SAA Upper/Lower, SAA barrel, etc..

Yup great company. Got my stripped upper, BCG, CH, Fwd Ass, Ejection door, GB, and flash hider from them.

ETA: Love that handguard, looks a lot like the floating one I got from Midwest Industries.

1.jpg

Last edited:

mwaterous

Wal mart does price matching. went to try it out with some 22 ammo. wal mart price was $8 bucks a box, I walked out paying $2.69 a box.

And you're of course going to inform us of who they price matched? I was under the impression that they wouldn't match wholesale, "big box", or online prices... or did you employ the fact that they're not supposed to ask for proof? :D

waterfowl woody

And you're of course going to inform us of who they price matched? I was under the impression that they wouldn't match wholesale, "big box", or online prices... or did you employ the fact that they're not supposed to ask for proof? :D

They did not ask at all, just matched it. bing bang boom out the door. I guess I could of made my own price, dang. I don't expect this to last long as I could see them making you prove it if it gets out of control. do it while you can!

Cabela's also does price matching but have not used them yet and don't know there policy on this.

oh, a local gun shop gave me the price.

Last edited:

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
They did not ask at all, just matched it. bing bang boom out the door. I guess I could of made my own price, dang. I don't expect this to last long as I could see them making you prove it if it gets out of control. do it while you can!

Cabela's also does price matching but have not used them yet and don't know there policy on this.

oh, a local gun shop gave me the price.

So rather than giving the small local shop your business you have Walmart price match it instead? :confused:

tombrewster421

Please avoid derailing the thread with asking questions that are against the rules.

(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC:

Not all ARs are long guns. Techno had a pistol. I have an AK pistol and now so does he. Kinda hard to find a holster for an AR or AK pistol though.;)

Last edited: