• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cheapest Ammunition is at Walmart!?

amlevin

I reload, but honestly I can't beat the price of RBS Ammunition in Burlington or Freedom Munitions. Couple that with the sales they sometimes have and it's a steal! Yes, they are factory reloads, but I have shot thousands of RBS 9mm and never had one issue. I have not personally tried Freedom yet, but have a lot of friends who do and will be buying from them later this month.

If you can't beat these prices by reloading then you're not buying your components right. At the least, my reloads are half the price of RBS and the Freedom Munitions is almost three times the price of my reloads. A "dime a round" for a jacketed hollow point 124gr 9mm round is all it costs me to reload.

Just sweep up all the empty brass from those that don't reload and your brass is free. Bullets by the case from Montana Gold and powder and primers from powder valley make it easy to beat "Store Prices" by a long margin, even on 9mm. Other calibers are even greater savings. Rifle? Factory ammo, even "Remanufactured" doesn't even come close to the cost of reloads.

massivedesign

I factor in my time as one of the components.. Raw materials, you are correct. But I look at the time it takes me to process, sort and pull the handle as part of my overall equation.

amlevin

I factor in my time as one of the components.. Raw materials, you are correct. But I look at the time it takes me to process, sort and pull the handle as part of my overall equation.

You just need a faster press. 600+ rounds per hour (including coffee/bathroom breaks) on a Dillon XL-650. Press paid for itself in time and money during the first year.

massivedesign

To each their own. I have small children and value my time with them above cranking the handle. Not saying I do not do it (Dillon 550B), but since I do not do it often, I am glad I have found a source of reliable ammo. The funny thing is, RBS uses my load, almost down to the 10th of a grain... Same bullet, powder, OAL.. This was by coincidence, but still, pretty cool.

WalkingWolf

To each their own. I have small children and value my time with them above cranking the handle. Not saying I do not do it (Dillon 550B), but since I do not do it often, I am glad I have found a source of reliable ammo. The funny thing is, RBS uses my load, almost down to the 10th of a grain... Same bullet, powder, OAL.. This was by coincidence, but still, pretty cool.

I commend you on spending time with your children. But when I had small children bed time was 8pm or earlier, we did not go to bed until later. I spent about 1/2 hour reloading back then. One night cleaning, and sorting, next night sizing, next night priming. You get the idea. IMO it was safer to concentrate on one task at a time, and without the children awake. I never have been a TV fan, so reloading was relaxing.

massivedesign

Yhea, I hear ya. The main downside is that I have a buddy (no kids), who is a neighbor. We took his spare room and made it the MAN room. Custom reloading bench, 2 large safes, all our gear etc. So, for me to reload, it means going over there.... I usually load more in the winter, since it gets darker earlier and there is less 'honey-do's' for me to finish.

Grim_Night

Spent about $50 today at walmart on 150 rounds of federal FMJs for the range. Guy tried to offer me a 250 round box... just couldn't see myself spending that much lol...

Munkey Butt

I've noticed at Cabelas in Lacey, there PMC 9mm 50 box was 9.99 and now they are 11.99, in about 2 months time. Strange, very strange.....:shocker:

amlevin

I've noticed at Cabelas in Lacey, there PMC 9mm 50 box was 9.99 and now they are 11.99, in about 2 months time. Strange, very strange.....:shocker:

It just means that they sold out of the earlier stock and the replacement stock cost them more. Someone like Cabela's buy's ammo by the truckload and every load probably has a different price depending on availability and "specials" from manufacturer. No different than groceries or lawn fertilizer.