• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Confrontation With a Dog

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

If you have this happen, DONT MAKE ANY STATEMENTS TO THE POLICE!

Read what happened to MR Fish in Arizona:

Read the police interview, how the police interviewed him (saying he would not be charged, etc.) He gave them permission to search his car, they told him it seemed like self defense, and led Mr Fish to believe everything would work out. Later, this same officer was most adamant in trying to get the DA to go after Mr. Fish... nice (sarcasm)

Remember THEY ARE NOT THERE TO BE YOUR FRIEND, THEY ARE THERE TO CONVICT SOMEONE...MOST LIKELY YOU!!

Read it here:http://www.haroldfishdefense.org/ds_04.htm

tygereye

imported post

Another possible way to deter an aggressive dog MIGHT be the use of an air horn.... Dogs have very sensitive hearing, most will abhor loud noise. It is a very effective training device as well. Just a thought...

I hope I am never in a situation to find out if it works... good luck!

conservative85

imported post

A couple weeks ago I was chased up onto my trucks hood in my yard to avoid a boxer that lives just down the road. It has shown signs of aggression as we have walked by it on the way to a local store. I pulled my Ruger 22 pistol and pointed it at the dog and tried yelling at it. I refuse to shoot because the back drop was blacktop drive and close to neighbors house. It finally left.
If the conditions were right it would have been a dead dog. I know most loose animals are the result of a negligent owner, and always try to remember that it's not the animals fault. That said I will never again put my life or my families lives before an animal again. Regardless of the DNR, Animal control, Police and/or Peta, In the end it is just an animal. That's all I got to say bout that! F.G.

hopnpop

imported post

That's something to keep in mind that I hadn't taken much into the factor - location, location, location!! I imagine most people are walking their dogs...or just walking period, in residential places, often the city. That could mean EXTREMELY limited safe-shoot directions and in highly populated places especially, considering generally closer quarters between homes, blacktop, concrete, traffic... Lots of surfaces to glance off of. I know I'm probably just overstating the obvious but I'm in a quite rural setting and didn't put much thought to cities and burbs.

taxwhat

imported post

Sometimes I forget some people are young . That being said ,have raised,trained ,used canine and bitten and or attacked by same. Pepper spray on rott,pit ,German shepherd aphrodisiac .With out proper shot placement oh well . So demand LE due their Job ,MAKE complaint keep distance understand pack law of canine stay alive .Or stay home and hide !

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

LEXINGTON, Ga.— Sherry Schweder worried about the group of mixed-breed dogs she saw wandering near her home that authorities say mauled her and her husband to death along a rural stretch of road in northeast Georgia.[/b]
The 65-year-old animal lover was taking an evening stroll when she was attacked by the pack of wild dogs, authorities believe. Her husband, Lothar Schweder, a retired professor, had gone out in search of her.

A shredded piece of shirt, some strands of hair and bloodstained dirt were all that remained Tuesday where the couple was killed. Paramedics who came to the grisly scene Saturday morning found the suspected attackers standing guard. While it's unclear exactly what happened because there were no witnesses, officials have rounded up 16 dogs they believe were involved.

Schweder had told one of her sons that no one seemed to be caring for the dogs, said Jim Fullington, special agent for the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

Experts say the attack is extremely rare — so rare "you are more likely to be killed by a bolt of lightning than by a dog," said Adam Goldfarb, a spokesman for the Humane Society of the United States.

The feral dogs didn't belong to anyone, but a man who owns a house at the end of the road had been feeding them, said Oglethorpe County sheriff's Capt. Shalon Huff. The man told authorities the dogs never behaved aggressively toward him, and he did not believe the dogs had killed the couple.

"Sometimes the pack mentality can play a role. One dog gets aroused and that revs up his buddies," Goldfarb said.
The dogs were aggressive toward authorities who rounded them up using traps and tranquilizers, Huff said. At one point, a group of them cornered two people against a vehicle. There were no signs the dogs were rabid, Huff said.

Authorities believe Sherry Schweder went for an evening walk near her home on Friday, perhaps looking for one of her own dogs that had been missing for about a month.

At some point, Schweder was attacked. Preliminary autopsy results showed she died from animal bites.

Authorities believe Lothar Schweder, 77, later went looking for her in his car and came across his wife's body. There were signs of a scuffle, several shoe prints and what appeared to be paw prints in the mud, authorities said.

He may have tried to pull out his cell phone before he succumbed to the attack, Madison County Coroner James Mathews said. Autopsy results show Lothar Schweder also died of injuries from multiple animal bites.

A group of Jehovah's Witnesses walking in the same area discovered the bodies Saturday morning and called police. Four days later, a faint unpleasant smell still hung in the air.

There have been at least 20 deadly dog attacks in the U.S. this year, 22 in 2008 and 33 in 2007, said the Humane Society's Goldfarb, compared with about 75 million owned dogs. The National Weather Service says there were 27 lightning deaths so far this year, 28 in 2008 and 45 in 2007.

Dogs that attack also typically are not spayed or neutered, which can contribute to aggression, Goldfarb said. The dogs in the attack are not believed to have been sterilized.

With a voice that wavered at times, one of the couple's sons, Mark Schweder, described his parents as "kind people who lived a simple life out here."

He said his parents had divorced and his father moved to Kansas, where the elder Schweder ran the library and worked in public relations for a state penitentiary.

But after retiring in 2001, Lothar Schweder moved back to Athens to woo his ex-wife back.

"They always loved each other. My dad pursued, pursued and finally scored again," his son said with a smile.

His mother worked as a bibliographer at the University of Georgia's library. In the early 1970s, his father was a German and philosophy professor at the school, the son said.

Mark Schweder, who lives in Aiken, S.C., said his parents, especially his mother, were animal lovers. He also said he did not want charges to be brought against the man who fed the dogs.

"It's just a horrible accident," Mark Schweder said.

By Tuesday evening, 11 dogs and 5 puppies had been taken to the Madison-Oglethorpe animal shelter, where the staff was beginning court-ordered euthanizations.

Authorities were still trying to catch two other dogs seen in the area. Meanwhile, the shelter has been asked to look for homes for the Schweders' 20 cats and seven dogs.

malignity

imported post

there were 16 dogs in total? Geez. I'd have to carry like 4 spare magazines.

Or, in the famous words of Samuel L. Jackson... "AK-47. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherfu*ker in the room, accept no substitutes."

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

malignity wrote:

Or, in the famous words of Samuel L. Jackson... "AK-47. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherfu*ker in the room, accept no substitutes."
That's what I was thinking, my 5 shot airweight with one reload strip wouldn't have been enough. But after I killed the first dog I would have ripped it's hind leg off and beat the others to death with it.:D

booyah

imported post

Venator wrote:
malignity wrote:

That's what I was thinking, my 5 shot airweight with one reload strip wouldn't have been enough. But after I killed the first dog I would have ripped it's hind leg off and beat the others to death with it.:D
That is one thing I really like about my 24/7.
45 ACP but still 12 rounds to a mag. Still, 16 dogs, yeah even with great marksmanship still talking a reload ;)

malignity

imported post

I've read reports as well, where pitbulls and other large dogs have taken 4+ shots from a .40 caliber Glock (which is what I carry) to go down. Scary to think about.

taxwhat

imported post

taxwhat wrote:
Sometimes I forget some people are young . That being said ,have raised,trained ,used canine and bitten and or attacked by same. Pepper spray on rott,pit ,German shepherd aphrodisiac .With out proper shot placement oh well . So demand LE due their Job ,MAKE complaint keep distance understand pack law of canine stay alive .Or stay home and hide !

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/local/Mother_And_Son_Attacked_By_Pitbulls

rj3663

imported post

Not long after a pack of dogs attacked and killed two people here in Fowlerville a couple of years ago a guy in the downriver area shot and killed a dog that came at him. It was all over the news with the dog owners blubbering that he'd murdered their poor pet. The news reported that the man was questioned and released with no charges being brought. This happened in a subdivision and the dog was running unrestrained. The man was an older guy and I felt he was well within his rights. Not long after that my own dog, a one hundred pound plus german shepard attacked a jogger running past my home. He charged through the invisible fence and knocked her down leaving a wound that required thirteen stitches. She didn't have a firearm but I would have understood is she'd shot the dog. The next day, my wifes birthday, I dropped the dog off at the vet's office where he was put down and his head was removed to be sent to Lansing to be tested for rabies. I did love that dog but I believe that I'm as responsable as a pet owner as I am a gun owner. Hard lesson.

taxwhat

imported post

rj3663 wrote:
Not long after a pack of dogs attacked and killed two people here in Fowlerville a couple of years ago a guy in the downriver area shot and killed a dog that came at him. It was all over the news with the dog owners blubbering that he'd murdered their poor pet. The news reported that the man was questioned and released with no charges being brought. This happened in a subdivision and the dog was running unrestrained. The man was an older guy and I felt he was well within his rights. Not long after that my own dog, a one hundred pound plus german shepard attacked a jogger running past my home. He charged through the invisible fence and knocked her down leaving a wound that required thirteen stitches. She didn't have a firearm but I would have understood is she'd shot the dog. The next day, my wifes birthday, I dropped the dog off at the vet's office where he was put down and his head was removed to be sent to Lansing to be tested for rabies. I did love that dog but I believe that I'm as responsable as a pet owner as I am a gun owner. Hard lesson.
Words of wisdom !

rj3663

imported post

Springfield Smitty wrote:
Normally they don't stitch dog bites for fear of increased infection. Was the wound from falling or did they actually stitch the bite wounds?

Normally any wound will be cleaned and assessed before a decision to suture or not is made. The old tale that a dog bite will not be stitched is not a rule.

The wound was stitched. It was from the dog bite. The point of my post is not that the girl had to have stitches or not, it was making a point about my feelings on protecting ones self from a dog attack, even if it was my dog. There was a police report and there were no charges brought against me. The womans husband came to my house and we spoke and I provided them with a copy of the order and receipt from the vets office. Weeks later my wife and his wife held each other and they both wept ofer the event.

taxwhat

imported post

Flat Rock man bitten by pit bull

[align=justify]

FLAT ROCK — A 68-year­old Flat Rock man was bit­ten several times by a neigh­bor’s pit bull after the dog attacked his poodle Sunday night in his front yard in the Pebble Brook Subdivision.

The man suffered a cou­ple of punctures and bite marks on his thumbs after he tried to separate the two dogs, Flat Rock Police Lt. Jeffrey Metz said. The pit bull, which has three legs, ran through an open gate in a fence to reach the poodle. The poodle had to be eutha­nized due to the severity of its injuries, Lt. Metz said.

The incident happened in the 23000 block of Croft St. Police have turned the investigation over to the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office for review of any charges to be filed.

[/align]

none.gif