• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Confrontation With a Dog

wally1120

imported post

I also had an encounter where I though I was going to have to shoot a Dog, Luckly I didn`t tho. I startled the dog, Which sounded meaner then $HIT. I didn`t like hearing that sound at 11:30 at night, I did draw my gun, Night Sights are great. I can tell you when you get all pumped like that you dont see a whole lot, But I did see the Dog, With a fuzzy green dot, And a line.

I also feel if someone shot a Dog in SD, That would be considered Justifiable. I know if one of my Dogs injured someone, And that person didn`t have a gun to shoot one of my Dogs, I would shoot the Dog myself.

Bailenforcer

imported post

wally1120 wrote:
I also had an encounter where I though I was going to have to shoot a Dog, Luckly I didn`t tho. I startled the dog, Which sounded meaner then $HIT. I didn`t like hearing that sound at 11:30 at night, I did draw my gun, Night Sights are great. I can tell you when you get all pumped like that you dont see a whole lot, But I did see the Dog, With a fuzzy green dot, And a line.

I also feel if someone shot a Dog in SD, That would be considered Justifiable. I know if one of my Dogs injured someone, And that person didn`t have a gun to shoot one of my Dogs, I would shoot the Dog myself.
Well with the media frenzy and distortions of dog attacks unless you did something dumb, most everyone would be on your side, except maybe the irresponsible dog owner.

Haman J.T.

imported post

booyah wrote:
khicks wrote:
the other dogs did not want you, they wanted your dog,

you my have been able to shoot the other dogs to protect your self,not your dog.

the owner of the dogs that came at you and your dog was lucky his dogs did not harm you or your dog do to the fact that he would have been liable for all damages to you and your dog, because his was lose.
In this situation, I was between the hostile dogs and my dog. I intentionally placed myself there as I feel I am better able to defend myself and my dog than my dog is. She walks in a Halti collar effectively acting as a muzzle when it pulls against the leash.

So in this case since the other dogs would have had to go through me to get to her, I was defending myself.

I understand the dogs owner would be held liable, but liability does little for prevention, and less for protection. This is not the first run in with these dogs, and these are not the only dogs that are aggressive and not properly restrained in my neighborhood.

I forgot to mention that in this case, the dogs crossed the road to get to me and my dog. I had seen them further up the block and crossed over to the far side well in advance of getting near them to help prevent territorial issues.
Exactly! If you put yourself between your dog and the strays and they attack you,shoot!

Recoil88

imported post

Its funny this thread popped up because a friend of mine had to shoot his neighbors dog the other week. The dog got out and bit someone then tried to bite my other friends dad, then the dog proceeded to try and bite my friend as he went into his home. My friend has his cpl and he was carrying as usual his trusty 1911 so he pulled and shot this german sheperd mix right in the head at close range. Somehow the dog survived the bullet went in one side of his skull and out of the other. The police came he did not get charged with anything but they took his pistol for a couple days i guess to run the numbers and make sure it was legal and all. He got his pistol back and the neighbor got a ticket for having a dog off of his leash and running around.

flinch

imported post

easy wrote:
this is what i carry when im out walking my dog.

http://www.postalproducts.com/product/S1001152.htm
I realize I am late to this thread (and it appears it is an old thread that was dug up), but did anyone seethe owner's responsein this article?

"The owner told police the dogs had not been violent in the past and that he hopes to get the animals back."

That is just crazy. How could someone be in that much denial? He is liable for possibly 10's of thousands of dollars in medical expenses and the man that was attacked could have permanent damage.

This is the scary part about having to shoot someone's dog. The owner could be and probably is irrational and possibly even mentally impaired. How else could you explain how someone could just let a dog loose in the first place. Who knows what that person is capable of. It's no different than parents who don't know how to raise a kid andthen are in denial when the kid does something bad. "Well Timmy was always a good kid. I don't know what made him deal drugs and shoot that boy".

flinch

imported post

Here's another one where a gun would have been handy. Of course someone would need to be willing touse it unlike those in this story.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/23800972/detail.html

OAK PARK, Mich. -- An 11-year-old girl is in the hospital after a pit bull attack that police describe as brutal.

According to police, Shamia Griffin and her mom were walking down the 2300 block on Condon Street in Oak Park when the pit bull came charging toward them.

“The dog ran off the porch and he attacked her backpack first,” said Shawana McLawyer, who witnessed the attack. “My mom tried to take off the backpack, and once she got the backpack off, the dog went for her leg.”

Shamia Griffin, a fifth grade Key Elementary student, suffered a severe wound to her calf muscle in the attack, witnesses said.

People were standing on the porch, but they didn’t want to come and help,” said McLawyer.

The dog was eventually restrained and residents told Local 4 the dog lives at a home nearby.

Oak Park Police said they are investigating but have not determined who owns the dog. The animal is now in police custody.

The victim is recovering but police said they are concerned she may be at risk of infection.