• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dickson City Police Chief Stadnitski works to encourage businesses to ban gun carry!

CowboyKen

imported post

Big Gay Al wrote:
vermonter wrote:
Ok, Mr. Jnod...... So lets say I go to PA with my LTCF and there is now a sign at Joes Diner banning carry b/c of Chief Asswipes letters to business owners. So now I have to leave my lawful LICENSED firearm in the car b/c the business has the right to ban me by way of asking me to leave. Now lets say 90% of the business post such signs under threat of trespass. So my choice is 1) leave my firearm in the car (which was never the case before) , 2) Go inside armed and tell the shop owner to go screw himself and get arrested for failing to leave thus loosing my LCTF, or 3) Not go shopping, to the restaurant, or most businesses since all have posted said sign. Now that someone made an issue they had BETTER be prepared to go all the way to the supreme court so MY RIGHT will not be infringed by a sign that was never present in PA before. Sound like PA is heading for TEXAS where every store has a sign, and gues who's helping to spread the word that signs ar a lawful way of keeping law abiding citizens out. Don't EVEN think of telling me how "gun friendly" shop owners are. Just look at Texas and other states where signs are EVERYWHERE..... No I am not a transplant.....
You forgot option 4, carry concealed and don't say a word to anyone. You're not in trouble then, unless they catch you, and even then, they have to ask you to leave, and you have to refuse before you are in real trouble.

Guys,

vermonteris clearly a TROLL. Why are you feeding this TROLL?

Ken

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

"vermonter" from points unknown stated:
So lets say I go to PA with my LTCF and there is now a sign at Joes Diner banning carry b/c of Chief Asswipes letters to business owners. So now I have to leave my lawful LICENSED firearm in the car b/c the business has the right to ban me by way of asking me to leave.

1. Big deal, there's a sign. It means nothing, nada, nil, zip.

2. You don't have a lawful LICENSED firearm in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Individuals are licensed, not things.

3. You are not required to leave your firearm in your car; you can carry it with you as always. Yes, if noticed, you might be asked to leave, in which case you would, then again, you might not be asked to leave, especially the case if you're carrying it concealed.

4. Should the police suddenly appear without you having been asked to leave, hopefully you'll have enough backbone and remember enough law (as already posted on this site) to stand up for your rights. If you're not willing to stand up for your rights, then you don't deserve them.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Statkowski wrote:
3. You are not required to leave your firearm in your car; you can carry it with you as always. Yes, if noticed, you might be asked to leave, in which case you would, then again, you might not be asked to leave, especially the case if you're carrying it concealed.

Statkowski speaks the truth. You'll be much wiser for having taken his comments seriously, Vermonter.

As a side note, I'll add that the chances of being asked to leave are small, in my personal expeeriences. Actually, so far they are 0% for me. I have OC'd regularly all over PA for a couple years now and I have yet to be asked to leave even one single place. Inlcuding places people said I was crazy for attempting, that I would "definately" be asked to leave, such as Chuck-E-Cheese, some places in Philadelphia, among others.

Even during my single only negative encounter -- the infamous Dickson City incident -- for which this thread is spawned, at which I was ILLEGALLY arrested, the establishment said we were welcome to come back in after the police were through violating our rights!

Just thought it interesting in relation to Statkowski's comments :)

Statkowski

imported post

I thought the police chief said he could pick it up at any time.
Yes, but what the police chief failed to say was that Rich would have to provide proof of ownership. Rich refuses to do so.

A firearm has been stolen by the Dickson City Police Department from a Federal Firearms Licensee, a felony.

We will be advised of how that plays out when the doo-doo hits the fan.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Statkowski wrote:
I thought the police chief said he could pick it up at any time.
Yes, but what the police chief failed to say was that Rich would have to provide proof of ownership. Rich refuses to do so.

A firearm has been stolen by the Dickson City Police Department from a Federal Firearms Licensee, a felony.

We will be advised of how that plays out when the doo-doo hits the fan.
Ah, thank you for the clarification. I appreciate it.

apjonas

imported post

What is the basis for saying oral notice is required for a trespass charge in Pennsylvania and that signs mean nothing? I read 18 P.C.S. 3503as indicating a increased severity for "defiant trespass" (that is, refusing to leave after being told to do so) but that implies that the individual has already trespassed (having been given notice, e.g. by signage). Although classified as a summary offense, "non-defiant" trespass can still land you in jail for 90 days.

Statkowski

imported post

Trespass occurs when you're somewhere that you have no right to be (i.e., someone else's property). In the case of businesses open to the public, you are there as an invitee for those areas so designated, thus, you are not trespassing. Back rooms, behind the counters, etc., would not be so designated and your presence there would constitutetrespassing.

Entering onto land posted "No Trespassing" is covered by the law.

If you are asked to leave the public invitee areas of a business, and refuse to do so, then, and only then, are you committing defiant trespass. Note, the law does state that you have to be asked, or told, to leave. The law is silent on "No Guns" signs, thus, they have no standing in a court of law.

You can go into a business and start screaming up a storm. You may be cited for disorderly conduct, but unless asked to leave, you can't be cited for trespass. You might be but it wouldn't stand.

ne1

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

ne1 wrote:
Even if you are asked to leave, there is a question whether a business open to the public can deny an individual's rights as a citizen:

See http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/conlaw/marshvala.html

and http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/conlaw/logan.html

for Supreme Court opinions on the subject regarding first amendment rights.The second amendment, as usual, has not yet benefited by being part of the family.
See also Shelley v. Kraemer (blocking courts fromenforcing racial property covenants). Applying Shelley to the Second Amendment, courts should not enforce private rules abridging gun carry rights.

apjonas

imported post

Statkowski wrote:
Trespass occurs when you're somewhere that you have no right to be (i.e., someone else's property). In the case of businesses open to the public, you are there as an invitee for those areas so designated, thus, you are not trespassing. Back rooms, behind the counters, etc., would not be so designated and your presence there would constitutetrespassing.

Entering onto land posted "No Trespassing" is covered by the law.

If you are asked to leave the public invitee areas of a business, and refuse to do so, then, and only then, are you committing defiant trespass. Note, the law does state that you have to be asked, or told, to leave. The law is silent on "No Guns" signs, thus, they have no standing in a court of law.

You can go into a business and start screaming up a storm. You may be cited for disorderly conduct, but unless asked to leave, you can't be cited for trespass. You might be but it wouldn't stand.

I appreciate the primer on trespass but where in Pennsylvania law does it state that you must be asked to leave before any form of trespass has occurred? I understand that failure to depart when asked elevates the trespass (summary offense) to defiant trespass (misdemeanor) and the statute indicates that posting would suffice (that is the invitation to the general public does not extend to those who are armed). I am looking for something authoritative like a statute or court decision. This is the only thing I could find:

18 P.C.S. § 3503. Criminal trespass

...(b) DEFIANT TRESPASSER.-- (1) A person commits an offense if, knowing that he is not licensed orprivileged to do so, he enters or remains in any place as to whichnotice against trespass is given by:

(i) actual communication to the actor;

(ii) posting in a manner prescribed by law or reasonably likely tocome to the attention of intruders;[a "No Guns" sign?]

(iii) fencing or other ....

(2) Except as provided in paragraph (1)(v), an offense under thissubsection constitutes a misdemeanor of the third degree if theoffender defies an order to leave personally communicated to him by theowner of the premises or other authorized person.

An offense underparagraph (1)(v) constitutes a misdemeanor of the first degree.

Otherwise it is a summary offense.

Statkowski

imported post

I believe you're looking for a negative. Section 3503 talks about an intruder. It also mentions "posting in a manner prescribed by law." As a "invitee" to a public business, you are not an intruder. Also, "no guns" signs are not prescribed by law, whereas "Posted - No Trespassing" signs are.

Actual communication (i.e., Person A talking to Person B) is required per Section 3503(1)(b)(i).

apjonas

imported post

Statkowski wrote:
I believe you're looking for a negative. Section 3503 talks about an intruder. It also mentions "posting in a manner prescribed by law." As a "invitee" to a public business, you are not an intruder. Also, "no guns" signs are not prescribed by law, whereas "Posted - No Trespassing" signs are.

Actual communication (i.e., Person A talking to Person B) is required per Section 3503(1)(b)(i).

I don't think so. An "intruder" is a "non-licensee," that is somebody without a legal basis for being in the place in question. If there is a sign that says "No Guns" (or "No Barefeet" or "No Shorts"), a person who would otherwise be a licensee but is wearing a gun/has barefeet/or shorts on is an "intruder." The statute says

"(ii) posting in a manner prescribed by law or reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders"

Actual communication is one of the ways to notify - (i) actual communication to the actor; (ii) posting in a manner prescribed by law or reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders; (iii) fencing or other enclosure manifestly designed to exclude intruders; these items are connected by "or" not "and" - one one will suffice. Having entered, the person is a trespasser (summary offense level). If at that point he is asked to leave and refuses to do so- he becomes a defiant trespasser (misdemeanor level). See Commonwealth v. Crosby, 2002 PA Super 10, 791 A.2d 366 (2002) for an application of the distinction.

ne1

imported post

apjonas wrote:
Discrimination in private facilites based upon race is illegal. I know of no law that says discrimination on thebasis of being armed is unlawful. Do you see the difference?

No, I do not see the difference. The right to bear arms uninfringed is just as much a part of our entitlement to equal protection- infact the right to keep and bear arms predates the 14th amendment.There would be no need for the second amendment if the people were expected to disarm upon leaving their homes to go to work, go shopping, go to church, mail a letter, etc.- presumably wewould not need constitutional protections to keep and bear arms on our own property.

**BTW, the cases cited above were decided before enactment of the 1964 civil rights act, thus it is even more interesting to read the logic behind the judges' opinions.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

CowboyKen wrote:
Big Gay Al wrote:
You forgot option 4, carry concealed and don't say a word to anyone. You're not in trouble then, unless they catch you, and even then, they have to ask you to leave, and you have to refuse before you are in real trouble.

Guys,

vermonteris clearly a TROLL. Why are you feeding this TROLL?

Ken
I don't see it. He asked a question, posing a certain possible scenario, and some of us responded.

Statkowski

imported post

I don't think so. An "intruder" is a "non-licensee," that is somebody without a legal basis for being in the place in question. If there is a sign that says "No Guns" (or "No Barefeet" or "No Shorts"), a person who would otherwise be a licensee but is wearing a gun/has barefeet/or shorts on is an "intruder."
It's a pizza shop. You're there to purchase a pizza (or rent one, if possible). There's a sign that says "Shirts and Shoes Required." You have neither.

You are there legally. You are inappropriately attired, at which point the proprietor, or representative thereof, tells you to leave.Or doesn't. Even with the sign they have a choice - they can take your money, or they can turn you away. You haven't done anything illegally (unless they've created a state law concerning pizza, or shirts, or shoes), thus you are not an intruder.

There may be something in the Health Code concerning shirts and shoes, but there's nothing in the UFA concerning handguns and business establishments. "No Guns" signs have no lawful standing, period.