• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dickson City Police Chief Stadnitski works to encourage businesses to ban gun carry!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Steve in PA wrote:
I don't know where apjonas is getting his ideas or information from, but they are all wrong.
Well, I would not go that far - the text of para (b) does indicate that a summary offense lies by merely unlawfully entering. But it is not clear at at all from the statute that a no gun sign serves notice such that entry wearing a gun is unlawful.

Further, the enactment of (b.1.), notably surmized by Apajonas as occuring later in the life of the statute, limits summary offenses, grounded on, inter alia, the "last in time rule," to unlawful entry for evil purposes. (b.1.) should be read in my opion to thus limit (b)'s summary offense applicability to that conduct explicitly laid out in (b.1.). It can be said that (b.1.) explains the summary offense noted in (b).

As no cases have been set forth from any state's cases construing a no gun sign, or no gum chewing sign to bootstrap a criminal tresspass statute to enforce private rules of establishments otherwise holding themselves out to unregulated public entry, I think it fair to say that the law of tresspass is not welcoming to the idea of bootstrapping criminal tresspass statutes to enforce any and all private rules of conduct. Hence, time in time again it has been said that in a public place, one must be ordered to leave, or at least ordered never to enter in the first, e.g., Crosby, before criminal trespass attaches.

Now as for this baiting folks to enter the Old Country Bufett in Dickson City, and maybe tear off the alleged no gun sign on the way in, of course nobody is going to do that - why support an anti-gun establishment or cause trouble with the management such that the police are called? Come on.

But in my past I have "heard of" no gun rules in some malls, and sometimes have seen vague rules against weapons on mall "totum poles" after entering the mall (you know, those funny things sprouting up from time to time in some obscure mall corder announcing rules of conduct), yet I still carried there without really worrying about it, usually concealed, but not always (e.g., restaurants in VA where open carry is required). I was never asked to leave, nor would I object if asked to do so by an agent of the owner.

But I do kind of see a clear "no guns" notice on a discreet store or business (e.g., the AMC movie theaters' no gun signs on their doors) as like a picket line - and ya know, only scabs cross picket lines. I'd rather join the picketers and protest that establishment, or at least torture them with negative publicity until they take the sign down.

ne1

imported post

In every one of the cases which I cited it was determined that a business open to the public cannot violate the rights of its patrons. Trespass charges did not stand despite verbalrequests and/or signage.

apjonas

imported post

ne1 wrote:
In every one of the cases which I cited it was determined that a business open to the public cannot violate the rights of its patrons. Trespass charges did not stand despite verbalrequests and/or signage.
Before you break your arm patting yourself on the back, you may want to find out what happened subsequently to Marsh v. Alabama (1946) andAFEU v. Logan Valley Plaza (1968). Those are the most recent cases you cite. Perhaps next you will rely on Plessy v. Ferguson or Dred Scott? Such is the hazard of relying on cases so old they have whiskers. To be frank, even if they were brand new decisions, our hypothetical case can easily be distinguished from them. A word of advice - even the most thorough internet search is not legal research. There is a reason that lawyers go to school full-time for 3 years and companies like Westlaw make money.

apjonas

imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:

1) You were shown the error of your thinking, in black and white text of the law.
2) you refuse to admit your wrong
3) Someone did OC last weekend in the OCB in DC last weekend. That's a tale for another time. (I was saving it)
4) Cheif putting mein bracelets? LOL. I would WELCOME the DCPD arresting me AGAIN for lawful OC.

Are you through yet?

1) I haven't been "shown" (as with clear and convincing evidence) anything of the sort. I cite case law, statutes and rules of statutory construction to support my position. Other than Mike, everyone else is on an ipse dixit trip.

2) I think you mean "admit you're wrong," but in any case, once someone provides such evidence, I will gladly do just that.

3) Why wait? Let's hear it.

4) Were you actually arrested? Anyway, this time it would be for "defiant trespass."

Not by a long shot. I am done with sparring with the kiddies. If Mike or someone who is not totally incapable of rational thought wants to discuss, I will be happy to do so as time permits.

apjonas

imported post

Mike wrote:
Steve in PA wrote:
I don't know where apjonas is getting his ideas or information from, but they are all wrong.
Well, I would not go that far - the text of para (b) does indicate that a summary offense lies by merely unlawfully entering. But it is not clear at at all from the statute that a no gun sign serves notice such that entry wearing a gun is unlawful.
Ok, some progress here. If the owner of a business wanted to prohibit firearms, what sort of notice (otherthan having to stand at the entrance himselfgiving oral notice) would suffice?
Further, the enactment of (b.1.), notably surmized by Apajonas as occuring later in the life of the statute, limits summary offenses, grounded on, inter alia, the "last in time rule," to unlawful entry for evil purposes. (b.1.) should be read in my opion to thus limit (b)'s summary offense applicability to that conduct explicitly laid out in (b.1.). It can be said that (b.1.) explains the summary offense noted in (b).
Sorry, (b.1) is not germane. Here is a headnote from Crosby. Notice that 3503(b.1) is not mentioned. Note also that because he complied with the order to leave, the defendant could only be convicted of a summary offense - but he still was convicted.
Trial court erred in sentencing defendant for misdemeanor defiant trespass[/b], as under 18 Pa. Cons. Stat. Ann. § 3503(b)(2), defendant was guilty of only a summary offense[/b], as he complied[/b] with the victim's mother's order to leave[/b] the victim's mother's home. Commonwealth v. Crosby, 2002 PA Super 10, 791 A.2d 366, 2002 Pa. Super. LEXIS 9 (Pa. Super. Ct. 2002).

The current version of b.1 came from SB 223 in 1995 - and was a brand new subsection

The current version of b.2 came from HB 413 in 1997 - and was a brand new subsection

The current version of (b) came from HB 582 in 2001 and was an amendment to the existing subsection (b)

b, b.1, b.2 are peer levels of the statute and INDEPENDENT of each other

The rest will have to wait.

ne1

imported post

apjonas wrote:
ne1 wrote:
...you may want to find out what happened subsequently to Marsh v. Alabama (1946) andAFEU v. Logan Valley Plaza (1968).

Why don't you tell us about more recent cases since you obviously have them at your fingertips? It is very conspicuous that you haven't cited anything to reverse these earlier decisions but choose instead to talk about hypotheticals. Since you are so fond of Latin you should look up the phrase stare decisis.

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Just wanted to let everyone know that I received a packet from the Dickson City PD yesterday. It contained a cover letter from the Chief, a hand-written list of 95 businesses (most with a notation of their policy), and 18 letters or faxes from business stating their policies.

I'm publishing all the info online, over at PAFOA (see this thread). It will take some time to get all the info I have online, since I'm typing out the handwritten list so it is searchable. I also intend to follow up with the Chief and collect any further info until his little project is complete.

apjonas

imported post

ne1 wrote:
apjonas wrote:
ne1 wrote:
...you may want to find out what happened subsequently to Marsh v. Alabama (1946) andAFEU v. Logan Valley Plaza (1968).

Why don't you tell us about more recent cases since you obviously have them at your fingertips? It is very conspicuous that you haven't cited anything to reverse these earlier decisions but choose instead to talk about hypotheticals. Since you are so fond of Latin you should look up the phrase stare decisis.
It is not my job to do your research. I provide backup for my claims, you just claim. It is not a matter of outright reversal but rather modifications and limitations that make your cases of little value. I talk about the hypothetical because...well that was the original question. I have cited cases and the statutes themselves to support my position. What have you done to support your contention? Essentially, repeat it over and over. Find a case, just one, that interprets PA law as requiring refusal to obey a personal order to leave before a person may be charged with trespass. Note that I did not say "before an enhanced level of trespass may be charged." In case you are not clear - here is my position:

Carrying a gun into a business generally open to the public is "defiant trespass" under Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes, Title 18 (Crimes and Offenses), section 3503(b)(1), if the carrierdisregards a "NoGuns" sign that he saw or that was reasonably likely to come to his intention and he is not otherwise licensed or privileged to enter.

No actual notice or personal order to depart is required (although if given serves the same purpose as the sign). Once on the premises, defying a personal order to depart by the owner/authorized agent increases the severity of the offense.

Here is a summary of the possible outcomes:

1. no notice->asked to leave->you leave->no offense

2. no notice->asked to leave->refuse to leave->3rd degree misdemeanor

3. notice->asked to leave->you leave->summary offense

4. notice->asked to leave->refuse to leave->3rd degree misdemeanor

As I mentioned before, a property owner may just want to get rid of you as simply as possible, therefore situation3 might look like situation 1. Situations 2 &4 would definitely involve a LEO so that is why people keep thinking "no trespass unless I refuse to leave when asked." In some cases, it might be better to encounter a LEO before the owner. Let's say you blow off the posting at the entrance. A LEO who knows of the posting could cite you for DT (summary level) at that point. Now change the situation to where you encounter the owner first. He asks you to leave and you intend to do so. But first you want to let him know what you think of his policy. The LEO observes this and now you are charged with DT (misdemeanor level).

apjonas

imported post

gnbrotz wrote:
Just wanted to let everyone know that I received a packet from the Dickson City PD yesterday. It contained a cover letter from the Chief, a hand-written list of 95 businesses (most with a notation of their policy), and 18 letters or faxes from business stating their policies.

I'm publishing all the info online, over at PAFOA (see this thread). It will take some time to get all the info I have online, since I'm typing out the handwritten list so it is searchable. I also intend to follow up with the Chief and collect any further info until his little project is complete.
Hey, no problem, signs and policies don't matter. OC away and leave if asked. It's all good.:celebrate

ne1

imported post

apjonas wrote:
Posted: Fri May 30th, 2008 06:57 pm
I won't continue this debate
Posted: Sat May 31st, 2008 04:39 pm
I cite case law, statutes and rules of statutory construction to support my position.????
I am done with sparring with the kiddies.

Posted: Sun Jun 1st, 2008 02:28 pm

I provide backup for my claims, you just claim.
Didwe miss the case cites and other backups, or are you just claiming? Give it up already.

apjonas

imported post

ne1 wrote:

I provide backup for my claims, you just claim.

Didwe miss the case cites and other backups, or are you just claiming? Give it up already.

You certainly did. Over at PFOA, a poster "gunlawyer" has also put the kibosh on the "signsdon'tmatteryoumustbepersonallytold" theory of OC. It also looks like nobody is going to test any of the businesses that sign. How convenient. Imagine if scientists worked this way:

Dr. ne1: "I have captured space aliens!!"

Dr. Jonas: "Really? - let me see one of them!

Dr. ne1: "What are you - a troll? An anti-science bigot? I just told you it was true, why are you challenging me? All my friends on the space_aliens_do_exist.org bulletin board say I am right. In every episode of "The Outer Limits" I quoted there are space aliens.
It's common knowledge. Where's your proof that space aliens don't exist?

apjonas

imported post

Yet another thread where the crickets do reign. I can only hope that is because everybody took Mike's lead and thought through this concept rationally instead of emotionally. Perhaps some are so distraught at a challenge to their world view that they have decided to stick their fingers in their ears and shout LA-LA-LA-LA..... That's okay - as I have said your refusal to accept reality doesn't impact me. But please remember that the property owner and prosecutor (it will happen sometime) won't care at all about your opinion, just the law. You don't have to tell me I'm right - but follow my suggestion for your own sake. And avoid proclaiming the "signs don't matter" slogan in public. It will only encourage a ambitious state's attorney to prove you wrong.

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

apjonas wrote:
Yet another thread where the crickets do reign. I can only hope that is because everybody took Mike's lead and thought through this concept rationally instead of emotionally. Perhaps some are so distraught at a challenge to their world view that they have decided to stick their fingers in their ears and shout LA-LA-LA-LA..... That's okay - as I have said your refusal to accept reality doesn't impact me. But please remember that the property owner and prosecutor (it will happen sometime) won't care at all about your opinion, just the law. You don't have to tell me I'm right - but follow my suggestion for your own sake. And avoid proclaiming the "signs don't matter" slogan in public. It will only encourage a ambitious state's attorney to prove you wrong.
Not at all. The only reason I can't report back on such a thing is because in my part of PA, prohibitive signs simply don't exist.

Further, some of us are spending our time working behind the scenes to address the very issue this thread is supposed to be about.

Oh...and lastly, in PA, signs don't matter. I'm not suggesting they should be explicitly ignored, but until there is case law from anywhere showing this to be a valid legal concern, I'm not going to be up nights worrying that I may miss one while entering an establishment.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

apjonas wrote:

You certainly did. Over at PFOA, a poster "gunlawyer" has also put the kibosh on the "signsdon'tmatteryoumustbepersonallytold" theory of OC. It also looks like nobody is going to test any of the businesses that sign. How convenient. Imagine if scientists worked this way:

Actually, he confirmed that the way they are posted means squat.

I see you still have failed to cite this mythical proof you boast of.

apjonas

imported post

Has Gunlawyer Changed His Mind Since This Post?

Limerick Township Violates Preemption!?

Gentlemen: This is my first posting on this site. I'm an attorney, I'm pro-gun, but I have to tell you that property owners have more rights on their property than members of the general public have on that property, even where the property owner is the government.

A private property owner can set almost any conditions for use of the property, as long as he doesn't trample on a protected class, and even then a truly private property owner can decline to invite blacks, women, the handicapped, whoever into his home.

Once you start renting it out or inviting the general public in, then you can't discriminate against one of the recognized protected classes. Gun owners are not in a protected class, at least not the way minorites, women, and the handicapped are protected.

For private property that's open to the public, there's case law that defines what can and can't be restricted. There's case law on quasi-public property like shopping malls; some courts have held that they are the modern "town squares", and must accomodate some free speech; there's also case law that holds that it's still private property, and the Bill of Rights doesn't apply. I'm unaware of any case law that holds that "quasi public" property can't prohibit gun possession as a condition of use, at least not in any State without a specific "right to carry on private property" statute.

Government entities that are acting in a private capacity have their own set of rules. If your local town collects your trash for a fee, or sells you electricity, they are acting as just another vendor. As property owners, even PUBLIC property owners, they are entitled to establish rules for the use of that property by the public. They can ban open fires, even where open fires are generally lawful. They can ban dogs, even where dogs are generally lawful. They can limit groups to 100 or 500 or whatever, they can require permits for large public assemblies.

Opening land for public use doesn't mean they must just open the gates and let you do whatever you wish. 200+ years of case law and statutes are clear on this.

PA pre-emption prevents your town from banning assault rifles everywhere within town limits, but it doesn't prevent them from imposing restrictions on how the public uses property that's open to the public, any more than pre-emption prevents you from sticking a sign on your home or business door that says "no guns allowed". Property owners have rights, and in fact are required to exercise control over what happens on their land.

Here's the way the law works: if Costco bans guns on their premises (which they do), but they don't post signs at the door, then all they can do is ask you to leave once they see that you have a gun. If you refuse to leave, then it's defiant trespass, a criminal offense. If they post a clearly-visible "no guns" sign at the door and you come in with a gun, then you are trespassing even before they confront you.

That's the law, it's the way it really works. Property owners have rights, and they sometimes trump your rights as a guest on their property.

The ONLY possibility for this Limerick issue is this: Governments can't step on your civil rights, even when acting in a private capacity. This isn't a pre-emption issue, it's a civil rights question. The PA Constitution protects your right to keep & bear arms, but there's not much case law on it, partly because they re-did the State Constitution back in the 1960's. If the courts hold that you have a recognized, individual civil right to carry a firearm everywhere, then the Limerick statute might be vulnerable. However, both State and Federal laws already limit where you can carry, by excluding courthouses & schools.

Limerick could just post "no guns" signs at the park entrance, but criminalizing it through a formally enacted statute is more clearly government action that might infringe State law; but since it only applies on park property, my bet would be that it would be upheld anyway.

No purpose is achieved by repeating my references and analysis. You are so invested in your urban legend that I cannot convince you no matter what. An easy way to find out who is correct is for you to OC at a business that has a no guns" sign - after you ask the Chief of Police to meet you there.

Pa. Patriot wrote:
apjonas wrote:

ne1

imported post

apjonas wrote:
LA-LA-LA-LA.....

What you offer as "proof" is mere opinion, and you do not even have proof that the person offering the opinion isin facta 'lawyer'. Assuming he/she is a lawyer no doubt he/she would be willing to accept money to argue the exact opposite- that is what lawyers do. Much like there is no law (other than state and federal constitutions) permitting open carry, your star witness observes that there is no case law which permits or prohibits open carry in the modern "town squares", -big deal! Last time I checked, building open fires and walking dogs were not mentioned in our constitutions; the right to keep and bear arms is.

mystery_man

imported post

Hey guys! I went out to dinner with the family for Father's Day on Sunday. We decided to go to Don Pablo's... in Dickson city. Although the sevice was a little slow, the food was pretty good. Well, on our way out, the manager politely informed me that company policy forbids weapons on the premises, including firearms, open-carry as well as concealed, regardless of what the law states. I thanked him for bringing this to my attention as we would no longer be dining there and would bring our business to a restaurant that supports lawful carry.

A.J.

steveforopen

imported post

Okay...

So if McDonalds puts signs on their door to the effect of, "No Jerseys. No Plain White T-Shirts. No Sagging Jeans."

If someone wearing those clothes entered, they would be immediately guilty of trespass?

Unlikely.

steveforopen

imported post

apjonas wrote:
Has Gunlawyer Changed His Mind Since This Post?

Limerick Township Violates Preemption!?

Gentlemen: This is my first posting on this site. I'm an attorney, I'm pro-gun, but I have to tell you that property owners have more rights on their property than members of the general public have on that property, even where the property owner is the government.

A private property owner can set almost any conditions for use of the property, as long as he doesn't trample on a protected class, and even then a truly private property owner can decline to invite blacks, women, the handicapped, whoever into his home.

Once you start renting it out or inviting the general public in, then you can't discriminate against one of the recognized protected classes. Gun owners are not in a protected class, at least not the way minorites, women, and the handicapped are protected.

For private property that's open to the public, there's case law that defines what can and can't be restricted. There's case law on quasi-public property like shopping malls; some courts have held that they are the modern "town squares", and must accomodate some free speech; there's also case law that holds that it's still private property, and the Bill of Rights doesn't apply. I'm unaware of any case law that holds that "quasi public" property can't prohibit gun possession as a condition of use, at least not in any State without a specific "right to carry on private property" statute.

Government entities that are acting in a private capacity have their own set of rules. If your local town collects your trash for a fee, or sells you electricity, they are acting as just another vendor. As property owners, even PUBLIC property owners, they are entitled to establish rules for the use of that property by the public. They can ban open fires, even where open fires are generally lawful. They can ban dogs, even where dogs are generally lawful. They can limit groups to 100 or 500 or whatever, they can require permits for large public assemblies.

Opening land for public use doesn't mean they must just open the gates and let you do whatever you wish. 200+ years of case law and statutes are clear on this.

PA pre-emption prevents your town from banning assault rifles everywhere within town limits, but it doesn't prevent them from imposing restrictions on how the public uses property that's open to the public, any more than pre-emption prevents you from sticking a sign on your home or business door that says "no guns allowed". Property owners have rights, and in fact are required to exercise control over what happens on their land.

Here's the way the law works: if Costco bans guns on their premises (which they do), but they don't post signs at the door, then all they can do is ask you to leave once they see that you have a gun. If you refuse to leave, then it's defiant trespass, a criminal offense. If they post a clearly-visible "no guns" sign at the door and you come in with a gun, then you are trespassing even before they confront you.

That's the law, it's the way it really works. Property owners have rights, and they sometimes trump your rights as a guest on their property.

The ONLY possibility for this Limerick issue is this: Governments can't step on your civil rights, even when acting in a private capacity. This isn't a pre-emption issue, it's a civil rights question. The PA Constitution protects your right to keep & bear arms, but there's not much case law on it, partly because they re-did the State Constitution back in the 1960's. If the courts hold that you have a recognized, individual civil right to carry a firearm everywhere, then the Limerick statute might be vulnerable. However, both State and Federal laws already limit where you can carry, by excluding courthouses & schools.

Limerick could just post "no guns" signs at the park entrance, but criminalizing it through a formally enacted statute is more clearly government action that might infringe State law; but since it only applies on park property, my bet would be that it would be upheld anyway.

No purpose is achieved by repeating my references and analysis. You are so invested in your urban legend that I cannot convince you no matter what. An easy way to find out who is correct is for you to OC at a business that has a no guns" sign - after you ask the Chief of Police to meet you there.

Pa. Patriot wrote:
apjonas wrote:

What troubles me most in this post is the failure to delineate public vs. private property.

What the OP is arguing is that property the city owns can be considered private, trumping preemption.

The preemption clause is specific about the carriage of firearms.

I think the OP is dead wrong. Any publicly held land falls under preemption unless otherwise exempt from it due to explicit prohibtions ie. national parks, courthouses, federal buildings, schools, etc etc

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

My borough owns various plots of land. One contains the Borough Building, one is a ballfield, one is a park, another (it turns out) is also a park, and yet another is a cemetery- all open to the public, except when they're closed. For these properties, there's no way can we restrict or otherwise regulate the bearing of arms in defense of oneself or the Commonwealth.

We do own some other land, which is not open to the public. This we can post "No Trespassing" just like any other property owner. Believe it or not, the borough does have to pay property tax on this real estate since it's not for public use. But we still can't stick up a "No Guns" sign.

Municipalities cannot, in any manner, regulate the bearing of arms. Seems cut and dried to me.