• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dress codes for open carry...

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

I will agree that underwear should be mandatory. In fact, some of you may want to "double up" :)

0316-open-carry-gun-law_full_600.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

happybucklan
I think a 15% tip should be required, personally. Many of my fellow church goers have a bad reputation for being loud, messy and lousy tippers. I think we need to have a reputation of being well-behaved and good tippers.
Do not like automatic add-on tips - will voice my objection every time.

Tip is supposed to be a thanks for the level of service received.

That said, the typical tip left at OC dinners and breakfasts is from 20-50%.
Multiply that times 10,15 0r 20 patrons.
We do know how to show our appreciation and it reflects in how we get treated next time to.:D

Yata hey

Eeyore

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
All the extra (unneeded) recommendations for OC.:banghead:
Don't do it with a long gun even if legal, dress to impress, use a retention holster, only properly holstered handgunsand don't use acocked and locked SA.

Heaven forbid people feel uncomfortable.
Guess what people feel uncomfortable about all sorts of things, they'll get over it.

Gee, what's next only OC if you have a 4+yr college degree, or on even # days or when you have your kids/family in tow, or if you're a Caucasian male, or make >$80,000 annually or >45 but <70yrs old, and only OC if you grew up in a two parent house hold.

Maybe we should wear a tux and top hat/a beauty queen sash/tiara.

Maybe we should all wear strobe lights and a audible voice that lets the scared know you have a CHP/or you're a good guy and that you are an OC certified.

Op, your view is no different than those that believe we shouldn't carry, it is anti freedom
:exclaim:

I agree to the extent that we always have the freedom to choose our attire, but if one of our goals is to promote OC, then we should use that freedom to choose to look professional. If you don't care about advancing gun rights, or just like to irritate people--fine, wear whatever you want.

We have the freedom to attend weddings, church, and other "special occasions" wearing whatever we want, but as a sign of respect for others and/or the event most people choose to dress nicely.

The sad fact is that people always have and always will make snap judgments about a person based on their appearance. We do it too--how many times have people on this forum sarcastically commented about encounters with "upstanding citizens with oversized, baggy clothes"? Everybody knows what's being implied--it's code for "gangstas", and all the sterotypes that go with it.

The media has portrayed all gun owners as overweight, slovenly, middle-aged white guys or too-tightly-wound survivalist/militia types. Whether you choose to ignore that sterotype, revel in it, or try to disprove it is up to you. But you're being either naive or disengenuous if you deny that your choice has impact on the OC movement in general.

From a convenience standpoint, I think there's enough anecdotal evidence on this forum to say that dressing better tends to reduce the number of negative confrontations an OCer will experience.

And when all else fails, there's just plain self-respect.

Marco

imported post

Eeyore wrote:
I think there's enough anecdotal evidence on this forum to say that dressing better tends to reduce the number of negative confrontations an OCer will experience.
BS!!!!
I haven't dressed in a professional manner but once since2005 and I have yet to log one negative incident, I OC 99.99% of the time.

Shorts and sandal are my daily attire and no one has called the kings tax collectors or gone running.

The image we should be trying to push is I'm a gun owner and a normal person.
Judging someone based on attire falls shortbut attitude/actions tell you the whole story.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
I think there's enough anecdotal evidence on this forum to say that dressing better tends to reduce the number of negative confrontations an OCer will experience.
BS!!!!
I haven't dressed in a professional manner but once since2005 and I have yet to log one negative incident, I OC 99.99% of the time.

Shorts and sandal are my daily attire and no one has called the kings tax collectors or gone running.

The image we should be trying to push is I'm a gun owner and a normal person.
Judging someone based on attire falls shortbut attitude/actions tell you the whole story.
While I understand that there will be those that reach certain programed conclusions based on the other person's dress style, that doesn't make it right or smart does it?

It is far, far better to read the other person by their demeanor, their attitude, their actions than by the fit of their clothing or hair cut. It is there that we, by our actions and our diversity daily educate those that cannot think for themselves.

The more of us there are from all walks of life, the closer we come to being boringly (yawn) common place.

Yata hey

conhntr

imported post

Hate to bring soouthpark into this BUT; cArtman wants to impress his friend into thinking he is nice so he puts on a nice sweater and combs his hair. They tell him "there is a difference between dressing nice and being nice"

Formal occasions aside I dress in the most comfortable climate appropriate clothing that has a reasonable price tag. If someone wants To judge me because i don't want to choke myself with a tie or collered shirt that's up to them

My personal preference would be for open carriers to ACT nice not DRESS nice. I.E smile don't be Agressive in anyway etc

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

conhntr wrote:
Hate to bring soouthpark into this BUT; cArtman wants to impress his friend into thinking he is nice so he puts on a nice sweater and combs his hair. They tell him "there is a difference between dressing nice and being nice"

Formal occasions aside I dress in the most comfortable climate appropriate clothing that has a reasonable price tag. If someone wants To judge me because i don't want to choke myself with a tie or collered shirt that's up to them

My personal preference would be for open carriers to ACT nice not DRESS nice. I.E smile don't be Agressive in anyway etc
You got the memo, I see. :)

Yata hey

XDUser

imported post

I wear jeans because I have several animals and I do not wish to carry a sticky brush around with me to remove the fur from dress slacks.

I also do not care what others around me think because since I started lurking on these forums and carrying my side-arm just about no one has even noticed it.

Comfort > Looking good to please you

nova

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
@ nova:

Curiously, all of the children holding the signs saying "No Guns [at Starbucks]" shouldn't even be drinking coffee. It stunts the growth.
Yeah funny that. When the antis came to all the starbucks to protest the gun owners, none of them bought anything, while the gun owners did. Wonder which group of people a business is going to support? People who buy stuff, or those who just make noise and whine and don't buy anything?

W.E.G.

imported post

I'm looking forward to the fall fashions appearing in the stores.

I'm gonna buy a new black leather jacket to compliment my black cross-draw holster for the nickel-plated Ruger Single-Six .32 Magnum.

I like to wear that holster kind of front center.
Still OC that way, without having to remove the jacket.
Provides concealment in case my fly is non-spec.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
I likes to keeps 'em guessin'. :lol:
Too late. You longago"opened [your] mouth and removed all doubt." :D:p
Been meaning to ask you for your autograph - full signature for my collection.

Please bring plain white bond paper with your signature on the bottom right in black or dark blue ink. No note or anything - just your signature will do me fine.

The appreciation will be great. :D

Yata hey

PS - 2 originals with wet signatures if you please.

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I agree with the OP to a certain extent. It is good for the cause to look professional. You can do this in jeans and a t-shirt no problem, however. Just don't look like a bum and its all good. I also think its great for people with alternative lifestyles to OC too, as I think it only furthers our cause, and makes us(collectively) more "normal" even if they're not.

;)

Dreamer

imported post

I'm totally with ProShooter on this one.

I spent about 20 years dressing to meet some corporate authority-monkey's abritrary "standards of professionalism". I'm a graphic designer and a computer geek forchrissake. What the heck did I need a tie for? Half the time it was thrown over my shoulder ir tucked 1950's military-style into my shirt so it wouldn't get caught in a waxer, or accidentally snipped in a paper cutter, or pulled into an automatic film developing machine. Yeah, that's a REAL "professional" look... :banghead:

I'll be damned if I'm going to bow down to some sort of "dress to impress" standard so we don't "scare the locals". I'm 44 years old. I'm in good shape. I'm a designer and an artist--I can dress myself thank you very much.

I rarely wear jeans (unless I'm working in the yard or in my workshop). I own a whole closet full of DKNY, Bill Blass, Jos.A.Banks, Hathaway, and Ralph Lauren button-up shirts. I own 2 custom-tailored suits, and have more designer-brand silk ties than there are states in the union. In fact, my wife AND my daughters (one of which is attending college studying for a BA in Fashion and Textile Design) often ask ME for fashion advice.

Yeah, I've got some obnoxious t-shirts. Sure I've got some REALLY aggressive political ones that are spouting 1A and 2A screeds. I've got some "shooting team" shirts too with GREAT BIG logos on the back AND the front. But I know not to wear them when I go to a meetup at a nice eatery. I might wear them to a "range day" or to someone's house for a private BBQ, but I think most of us can probably dress ourselves pretty well when we go to events...

From my experience (OC Dinners in VA and NC), folks tend to "clean up pretty nice" for these events, but it depends on where we're meeting. At a Fuddruckers in Richmond, VA where there were over 40 people, several VCDL "dignitaries", and a few local media folk, I thought people were dressed pretty nicely--mostly what would be considered "business casual". Dockers, button-down shirts, and polo/golf shirts.

On the other hand, we had an OC Dinner at a little local (but well known in the area) "burger and dog shop" in Jacksonville NC and people "dressed for the room". Several folks wore jeans (nice ones--not ratty or dirty), and I think a few wore baseball caps. But we would have looked silly at such a venue if we'd been "dressed up". All in all, I think most of the events I've been to have had a "grooming standard" that was appropriate for the venue. And THAT is what we're striving for--to look like NORMAL people doing NORMAL things. Because that's what we are... (well, most of us anyway...)

And what would you consider "appropriate" for OC dinner events? Could I wear a kilt in the summer? I have several custom-made in various tartans from my heritage. Would it be OK to wear a brown belt and shoes? What about wearing white after labor day?

Please...

FretlessMayhem

imported post

I truly respect everyone's right to do what they want. What someone else chooses to wear has no bearing on me, and vice versa.

When I carry openly, I do so in the clothes I'd already be wearing. Usually consisting of jeans, and a death metal shirt (Slayer, Cannibal Corpse, etc). I have no problem with this. I also have long hair. I get stared at regularly, but it doesn't really bother me. That's their problem, not mine.

I don't judge people based on their attire. Appearances are deceiving. Subsequently, I know people will judge me based on how I look. I'm in a band, trying to make it in the music business. Image is important. I need to look like a guy that plays in a band. If they look down their noses at me, that just proves they're horrible people.

This isn't directed at anyone. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and no one's is more right or wrong than anyone else's.

virginiatuck

imported post

FretlessMayhem wrote:
I truly respect everyone's right to do what they want. What someone else chooses to wear has no bearing on me, and vice versa.

When I carry openly, I do so in the clothes I'd already be wearing. Usually consisting of jeans, and a death metal shirt (Slayer, Cannibal Corpse, etc). I have no problem with this. I also have long hair. I get stared at regularly, but it doesn't really bother me. That's their problem, not mine.

I don't judge people based on their attire. Appearances are deceiving. Subsequently, I know people will judge me based on how I look. I'm in a band, trying to make it in the music business. Image is important. I need to look like a guy that plays in a band. If they look down their noses at me, that just proves their horrible people.

This isn't directed at anyone. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and no one's is more right or wrong than anyone else's.
I'm not judging... just a slightly amusing observation: A guy wearing a gun and a shirt that says "Slayer." :uhoh: Don't you have any Kreator shirts? :D

kennys

imported post

I can understand what the OP is trying to communicate, but it all belongs in a personal category with personal choice and preference. To many, carrying a gun openly even though they are gun owners is appalling to them, maybe as someone’s dress or appearance is to the OP.

To me limiting ones choice to what they ware would only be like limiting carry to conceal only.

We have choices, this is America, and we should. Some may say someone’s dress or appearance is ill advised, personally to me it does not matter as long as they are carrying safely and doing so legally.

People adapt to what they see, if every one openly carried in a suit all the time than people grow accustomed to it and any thing other may raise concern.

Look I don’t even where a suit and tie to church, even on Christmas, if my church expected it or gave me a hard time over it, simple enough I would find another church that wasn’t as demanding or not go at all.