• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dress codes for open carry...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This subject comes up periodically.

Yes, it would reflect better on the group if everybody dressed neat and clean, had their hair combed just so, and flossed their teeth daily.

However, even slovenly people with half their teeth gone deserve to defend themselves.

I'll take a shabby pack with guts and guns over a pack of nicely dressed effetes any day.

I think it unwise to cater to the tastes of others. Let them discover that even slovenly people deserve self-defense.

Dress appropriately for the restaurant if you can and know how. Otherwise, stay until the host tells you to leave because of a dress code violation.

richarcm

imported post

The problem I have is that when I dress "nice" people think I'm a cop. Politically, that is not what I want people to think. I want people to know that I am NOT a cop, but a regular ol' person who is just carrying a gun. That way I have to answer fewer questions about whether or not I am law enforcement and it does the job of desensitization better. So sometimes I might wear khakis and a polo or something but more often I will wear shorts, flip flops and a tshirt....typically a tshirt that shows that I am a decent guy but certainly probably not a cop.

And then there is the fact that if we truly believe that carrying a gun is our right that SHALL not be infringed.....we should be allowed to wear whatever the heck we want that we could wear without a gun. There should be no significant need to cater to someone's warped need to be comforted. If I wear X clothing without a gun and nobody has a problem then simply adding a gun....or a cell phone, or a ball cap or WHATEVER should not be anything but an addition to what I'm wearing.

At SOME point we will have to break this desire of feeling like there are rules that must be followed in how you must present yourself that are different than if you were not carrying. I feel like we make guns more extreme than they should be when we excessively treat them with such special care. Just go out, wear what you normally would and strap the gun to your side.

Its just a gun. Right?

nova

imported post

I realize I might be confused by some as LEO by the way I dress, however I like to dress in a practical and professional way that is at the same time comfortable (probably the same reason LEOs do). That just happens to be cargo pants and polos for me.

wheelerXD

imported post

If I'm wearing a Polo shirt I usually get asked if I'm a LEO and if I wear t shirt with my jeans I get asked if I'm a "bounty hunter" or if I'm under covered. I normally dress in a decent pair of jeans and a polo or occasionally a t shirt.

Semper Fi

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Setting a dress code is the kind of thing that sets us back, for at least 2 reasons. One it says that it is ok for police harassment if you don't look like a certain standard and two, a liberty minded crowd like this is unlikely to comply.

Dress codes come up from time to time but I find it funny is that rarely does anyone ever suggest that the OC crowd lose weight, because we are one big group. It is something that we are judged by. I'm 50 pounds overweight myself so I'll point the finger at me first. That said, obesity is going to kill a lot of us before a bad guy does.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I'm more than 50 lbs overweight, but my kids say that I look like I'm still an LEO. Maybe that's why I don't get challenged very often. I guess my faded DHS baseball hat doesn't hurt. When asked if I am an LEO, I only offer than I am retired from DHS.

We don't need a "dress code" per se, but we should carry ourselves in a confident manner and not act like some posters to this site that have become famous (or infamous) and discredit the rest of us by their illegal actions (drug dealing while OCing). Some OCers (fortunately very few)just plain "don't get it" and act like ill-mannered cowboys. I think a common theme through this thread has been "OC Etiquette" and the need to be professional and confidentat all times.

If you exude confidence, you are less likely to be confronted by either a BG or an over-bearing LEO drunk with authority he doesn't really have. So many people don't understand this can be established with eye contact,a friendly wave and/ora friendly greeting accompanied by a smile. Its important to do these things as part of your own Situational Awareness (SA) and establishing your place in the "Food Chain" (Sheep or Sheepdog).

I can't even begin to count how many times I may have changed the mind of someone with less than honorable intentions. If you always think tactically wherever you go, it becomes second nature. It does require training and experience. I went to Taco Bell yesterday (the same one where a few months ago a couplehoodlums changed their minds about robbery when they saw me eating tacos with the Kimber keeping me company). I sat down at a tableneara pair of older teenagers in need of fashion upgrade. They needed someone to re-attach their trousers to their hips as I could easily see his paisley boxers above his waistband and below his t-shirt. Their conversation had been animated but unintelligible while I was in line for food. The conversation died to rarely spoken whispers after I sat down. I kept them in my peripheral vision while I finished my meal. They didn't look at me agressively, but neither would make eye contact with me for the entire 15 minutes I was there. Definitely not a good sign. I glanced at them several times before leaving and not once could I establish eye contact.

Would they have acted the same way if Pagan had been with me? He probably wouldn't be seen in Taco Bell, so thatprobably wouldn't happen. I'd like to pick his brain about his life experiences. His guidance and wisdom are an untapped gold mine of information.

Would they have acted differently if Danladi Moore had been with me? I'd like to spend time with him and talk to him about his OC experiences.

We strive for normalcy. Our goal is to normalize the "movement" until it isn't a movement anymore... It will be normal behavior to carry a sidearm rather than pull out a cell-phone-camera to record a crime taking place.

Its impossible to quantify how many crimes have been thwarted by the readers and contributors of these pages. How many times have we walked into a place and certain people seem to dissappear? How often do we walk down the street minding our own business and someone gets :shock:and changes their mind about that day's planned activities?

As long as we carry ourselves in a professional manner, our manner of dress shouldn't matter. if you choose to dress and smell like a bum, expect to be treated like a bum with a gun. You are more likely to be treated respectfully if you don't have holes in your knees. One of mydaughtersfeels strongly about self expression. I don't think her choices are the most wise, but I support her rights and have taken her to get several piercings.

I've spent enough time on the soap box for now... Sorry to bore you all with my silly rant.

msc

jayarmbar

imported post

I am sorry for getting off topic and excuse my ignorance please. I am curious as to what kind of holster the "Plumber" is wearing. It looks like it has some sort of retention switch on it. Can anyone enlighten me? Thank you in advance.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I use the very similar (nylon instead of leather) Bianchi Evader, has held up fine with more that 2 years of near daily carry of my Glock 23

PT111

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
We don't need a "dress code" per se, but we should carry ourselves in a confident manner and not act like some posters to this site that have become famous (or infamous) and discredit the rest of us by their illegal actions (drug dealing while OCing). Some OCers (fortunately very few)just plain "don't get it" and act like ill-mannered cowboys. I think a common theme through this thread has been "OC Etiquette" and the need to be professional and confidentat all times.
We strive for normalcy. Our goal is to normalize the "movement" until it isn't a movement anymore... It will be normal behavior to carry a sidearm rather than pull out a cell-phone-camera to record a crime taking place.

msc
Good points. Act like ya been there before and its a normal thing. Don't make a big deal out of it. When you walk by someone don't turn to make sure they see your gun. If you want to be treated like OC is something normal then act like it.

XD40coyote

imported post

I hope you all know that ALL shirts should be tucked in, otherwise you just did an OC FAIL. 5 o'clock shadows are also not allowed. No flipflops! Are your fingernails trimmed and is there dirt under them?

BTW, it IS ok to wear death metal band t-shirts, shirts that say " I don't call 911" and have an icon of a gun barrel pointing at the veiwer, shirts that say " guns don't kill people, I do", and t-shirts with serial killer mug shots on them, so long as the shirt is 1) tucked in, and 2) not pink.

Don Barnett

imported post

I like the advice from PT111: just act like the gun is not there; that it is just a normal accessory, like a wrist watch. If someone asks about it, say something quick, then change the subject to something else.

If someone wants to see it, NEVER TAKE IT OUT OF IT'S HOLSTER!!! Tell the person that it never comes out unless it is really needed.

After meeting a new couple at a very formal function on a Saturaday, I saw the wife in the grocery store the next Monday. The conversation went like this:

She: "Oh, Hi. Good to see you again. I didn't realize you were in law enforcement when I met you on Saturaday."

Me: "I'm not. I just carry a gun most of the time. It just doesn't go well with tuxedos. How are you doing?"

She: "OK, that's cool. We're doing fine."

Then the conversation went on about other things.

Be polite, courteous, and friendly to everyone.

jayarmbar

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Our normal uniform:shock:

overallline.jpg

ODA 226

imported post

I've never been challenged while OC'ing. I've been told by many on this board that I've never been challenged because I "look like a cop". Maybe that's because I was in a past life.

The only "trouble" (LOL) I've had was when my wife and I showed up at an OC dinner wearing matching MultiCam pants and some OCDO members told me that I shouldn't wear camo pants while OCing.

I'll wear what I want to wear when I want to wear it. Thank you! :p

MSC 45ACP

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
I've never been challenged while OC'ing. I've been told by many on this board that I've never been challenged because I "look like a cop". Maybe that's because I was in a past life.

The only "trouble" (LOL) I've had was when my wife and I showed up at an OC dinner wearing matching MultiCam pants and some OCDO members told me that I shouldn't wear camo pants while OCing.

I'll wear what I want to wear when I want to wear it. Thank you! :p

+1 Craig!

Why can't we wear BDU or other "camo" pants while OCing? I honestly wear whatever is comfortable and sturdy enough to hold my holstered pistol. Of course a belt is required because of my body shape... I have a substantial mid-section that has grown ( :cry:) since my retirement.

In the words ofone former boss... "Mike? How the@#%$@#%^ does your gun belt stay up? Your @$$ isn'tbig enough to hold it up!"

This was in the days when we still carried 1911's, leather "Sam Browne" belts and D-cell flashlights instead of ASP batons and small tactical flashlights as bright as the sun.

Anyone still remember "3 from the Ring"? Craig... I KNOW you probably do... ;)