• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

False Arrest by the LAPD

Gundude

imported post

greg36f wrote:
yelohamr wrote:
greg36f wrote:
yelohamr wrote:
greg36f wrote:
he has a right to call them anything he wants to,,,,BUT, is doing so to his advantage in the long run..........? I assume that this is not over.....

If anything happens because of what he posted, will be a violation ofhis 1st Amend. rights and will be viewed as retaliation for posting his side of the story on a public forum.
This is a public forum. Anything said here is fair game to be used against you.......
...unless your name is Tuason.

Not sure where you are going with that. You seem to see that case proving your point, and I see it as proving my point. The guy has been crucified about that post and is probably facing penalties at his work. We have no idea how that is going to turn out yet. He posted something and felt the backlash, same can go for anyone else on this or any other post.
Anyone with as much power as the LEO's have should be held to a higher standard. The same goes for politicians, and Pro athletes that kids look up to.

Ca Patriot

imported post

Hi, I just joined this board because of this specific thread. I live in Torrance and frequent the San Pedro area. I am curious how your case ended up or is it still ongoing ?

SmokeaCigShootaSig

imported post

Wow Mike!.!.:what:

Please keep me posted on what transpires, I've solo-carried twice with my cheap-o $20 recorder from Best Buy... Clearance Rack! =)

Anyhow, this really makes me want to STOP solo-carrying:uhoh: . . . anyone in the Mission Viejo, Lake Forest Area??? If not OC’ then go hit the pistol range “On Target” off of Avery (Not sure what city it is, though I’ve been going there for nearly a decade)

DEFENSOR

imported post

Hey Patriot,

Welcome to OCDO, what do you think so far? there are a few of us locals here in the South Bay. We are glad to have you on board.

Defensor

yelohamr

imported post

greg36f wrote:
Not sure where you are going with that. You seem to see that case proving your point, and I see it as proving my point. The guy has been crucified about that post and is probably facing penalties at his work. We have no idea how that is going to turn out yet. He posted something and felt the backlash, same can go for anyone else on this or any other post.

True, Tuason has been outed as a dipsh*t. His department has intimated that the screen grab of the Facebook page was Photoshoped. Nothing will probably happen to him. He'll hold up the carpet while the department sweeps.

What I was getting at was, referring to someone in a discriptive way and not by name is no big deal and not illegal. Their pettiness has already been shown. If they want to flaunt it more, because of a post in a public forum, they're squirrelier than I give them credit for.

I seriously doubt that the L.A. D.A. will do anything but dismiss.

Ca Patriot

imported post

I like the board and I support the 2A and open carry rights. I have been thinking about doing it in Redondo Beach, Torrance, Hermosa Beach or Palos Verdes Estates. I had some ideas and plans.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Greg is right guys. I think we need to rise above namecalling to get the desired results.

I sympathize with the OP tho having been there a few times myself.

I simply was pointing out that LEO use emotions and words that cause emotional responses in court rooms and the seemingly unfairness of this.

Although it is unfair it is how it is so we must do our best to minimize this on our part and not give ammo to the "system" or antis against us.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If I ever get arrested on an open carry related charge I will simply not make bail and make them charge me. . . Take it to court on their dime.

There are enough brains here that we can help even the most inexperienced PD (public defender).

Keep your head up and give 'em hell.

Ca Patriot

imported post

So does anyone know how this orginal story ended up ? Was he charged ? Was he aquited or convicted ?

1245A Defender

imported post

Ca Patriot wrote:
Hi, I just joined this board because of this specific thread. I live in Torrance and frequent the San Pedro area. I am curious how your case ended up or is it still ongoing ?
i didnt say it before,, but ill say it now!

READ THE WHOLE THREAD! :cuss: :banghead:

M

McX

imported post

california, i'll never understand why you guys choose to live out there, and i thought my state, and their cops were bad! you can't even carry with a loaded mag. in the gun? unbelievable. i read the story, and saw the cops change bits 2 and 3 times, and you've got them stone cold on audio. i'm amazed your recorder didn't 'disappear'. then they find a few sucks to go with a concealed charge. what? they beggin' to get fired? nail their butts to the wall. oc event their rear ends off, we just finished one here in wisconsin, you can read of it in our threads. 55 strong marched on a state police headquarters, to protest their actions. you can see the bits they (the cops) played change over and over in our thread(s). go get 'em, and tell them some dude from wisconsin with a dog's nose for an avatar sent ya.

irish

imported post

So glad I moved from HB, although I do miss the beach :) LV Metro just went through OC training a couple of months ago due to similar incidents.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

greg36f wrote:
yelohamr wrote:
greg36f wrote:
yelohamr wrote:
greg36f wrote:
he has a right to call them anything he wants to,,,,BUT, is doing so to his advantage in the long run..........? I assume that this is not over.....

If anything happens because of what he posted, will be a violation ofhis 1st Amend. rights and will be viewed as retaliation for posting his side of the story on a public forum.
This is a public forum. Anything said here is fair game to be used against you.......
...unless your name is Tuason.

Bull caca. First, the higher-ups declared it was his 1st Amendment right to make terrorist threats, then they defamed a member of the CA bar by claiming that he Photoshopped Tuason's terrorist threats. After deter, deny, delay, he is probably going to get a promotion for keeping with the department's pattern or practice of violating civil rights (what LAPD got under a consent decree for). EPAPD has so far shown they are rotten to the core.

Mike Hawk

imported post

DEFENSOR wrote:
Mike,

Glad to here from you again. Tis an intriguing tale you tell. I hope all else is going well.

Best wishes

Defensor + Mrs."D"
You too, both of you. And BTW watch out for air-raids LOL.

Mike Hawk

imported post

leoffensive wrote:
Wow. Interesting reading about what happened there. Damn lapd. Well i was glad to hear your update in passadena. Id gladly go out and support ya a million times.

When you get your pistol back we should go out for a shoot
Thanks LEO. And yeah you're on for the shoot. Just gotta get the ol girl checked out first once I get her back. Wanna make sure she hasn't been molested, as I've heard the horror stories about what canhappen to a gun in an evidence room.:what:

Mike Hawk

imported post

No charges have been filed as of yet. My arraignment date was an uneventful and boring wait in line to get a paper stamped to prove I'd shown up. The DA and City Atty's office to the best of my knowledge consider this case closed. They are aware of the video evidence, although they have not seen it. Obviously they are now aware of the audio evidence as well. So I'm fairly confident that they KNOW this case was bogus from the beginning.

That being said, I hope some good can come from this. I know everyonehere on OCDOwill learn something from this, but it'll take some work to see that the LAPD does as well. I'm not 100% sure on how to get this done yet, but they need to learn that good guys carry guns too.

4armed Architect

imported post

This commentary is directed at the officers involved in this incident.

Every officer involved in this arrest should do several things:

1. Really take some time to learn about the laws you are expected to enforce. Pay
special attention to the case law (U.S. Supreme Court, etc.) related to the 4th and
5th amendments of the U.S. Constitutions and California's stop & identify laws (or
lack thereof).

You are woefully under-educated and under-trained. This lack of proper
understanding of the laws you are sworn to uphold and enforce is putting you at
serious risk of having your lifestyle substantially diminished. I really can't
understand why someone would expose themselves to such legal risks.
Someone is not looking out for your best interests.

Please try to find the Local/California/Federal law(or case law) where it says it is
illegal for a citizen, on foot, to refuse to provide I.D. or refuse to answer a single
question of yours. "Obstruction" isn't going to fly. The 5th Amendment is not a
crime. Refusal to answer your questions is not a crime and arrest is not a
legitimate option for you for such refusal. It seems that you participated in an
unlawful arrest and may have been the only ones on the scene actually
committing crimes.

It may be too late for you to learn the proper actions in a situation such as this,
but for yours and your family's sake, if you plan to stay in Law Enforcement,
please take the time to learn about the laws you will be enforcing. Anything less
is completely inexcusable. If your Department has trained you to act in the
manner you displayed in this incident, they have done you a great disservice (not
to mention their gross disregard for citizens' rights).

2. Seriously consider resignation from your job. The level of incompetence you have
shown in this situation is staggering. You have grown too comfortable with your
power. You clearly have not kept up with case law (for decades) and other legal
restrictions on what you are allowed to do with regard to questioning, detentions,
searches, seizures and arrests. In short, you are truly CLUELESS! That is simply
unacceptable in your position. You have forgotten your oaths and whom you
really are supposed to serve.

The only things you were allowed (arguable on the Constitutionality of the
e-check) to do in this situation was: a.) Politely ask questions (you are not
entitled to any answers, but you can ask), b.) Observe if there was any evidence
of a crime about to be or having been committed, and c.) do an "e" check(check
for loaded) that would take about a minute or two, return the firearm and be on
your way.