• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

False Arrest by the LAPD

1245A Defender

imported post

hi mike, you might remember, im the guy that got you to change your name on nov.23 from a hawk to hunt,, yah i watched sea hunt too :cool:

ive followed your ordeal, and the protest rally in your behalf, with you in it! :p

im VERY proud of the way you handled your "consencuell encounter with the guys in blue. ;) your sweetheart did a very good job for you as well, good training, bravery stamina, guts, HEART!:celebrate

i think the battle is won, you have nothing to do over, you beat them before the fight began :lol:

sorry you have to wait to get you property back :? i hope she isnt abused while shes away

now is the time we dance :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate

keep us posted, but dont tell too much :dude:

Mike Hawk

imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
hi mike, you might remember, im the guy that got you to change your name on nov.23 from a hawk to hunt,, yah i watched sea hunt too :cool:

ive followed your ordeal, and the protest rally in your behalf, with you in it! :p

im VERY proud of the way you handled your "consencuell encounter with the guys in blue. ;) your sweetheart did a very good job for you as well, good training, bravery stamina, guts, HEART!:celebrate

i think the battle is won, you have nothing to do over, you beat them before the fight began :lol:

sorry you have to wait to get you property back :? i hope she isnt abused while shes away

Thanks man, appreciate the kind words. +1 on the sweetheart thing you mentioned. Wife, videographer, bail procurer......is there anything she can't do?:)

Yeah, I'll admit it's a bit of a line to walk, figuring out what I should say on here now that I'm allowed to by counsel. And also I think there's some merit to what that greg36 guy said earlier. Gotta keep it a little more constructive, and dare I say educational.

Mike Hawk

imported post

And you know, one just can't stay angry when looking at a row of goofy dancing bananas!

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

1245A Defender

imported post

4armed Architect your post is beautifull :banghead::banghead::banghead: can not be said, or explained any better :cool:
mike hunt was raped under "color of law"

do i smell usc 18, 1983??? ( did i spell that right?)

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Theseus wrote:
If I ever get arrested on an open carry related charge I will simply not make bail and make them charge me. . . Take it to court on their dime.

There are enough brains here that we can help even the most inexperienced PD (public defender).

Keep your head up and give 'em hell.
From now on me too.

Pace

imported post

You couldn't pay me enough money to sit in a California detention cell.

Also, not posting bail doesn't make a difference. You'll just sit longer in a cell, and have the same court time. You might sit months, not sure you want to do that.

That being said, you'd probably get a ROR, and not have to post bail.

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Theseus wrote:
If I ever get arrested on an open carry related charge I will simply not make bail and make them charge me. . . Take it to court on their dime.

There are enough brains here that we can help even the most inexperienced PD (public defender).

Keep your head up and give 'em hell.
From now on me too.

greg36ff

imported post

Mike Hunt wrote:
1245A Defender wrote:

Thanks man, appreciate the kind words. +1 on the sweetheart thing you mentioned. Wife, videographer, bail procurer......is there anything she can't do?:)

Yeah, I'll admit it's a bit of a line to walk, figuring out what I should say on here now that I'm allowed to by counsel. And also I think there's some merit to what that greg36 guy said earlier. Gotta keep it a little more constructive, and dare I say educational.

Mike, thank you for taking my words in the spirit in which they were intended. I in no way was trying to be critical, I just wanted to point out that what we say matters as much as how we say it.

In my opinion, you have done a great job with this so far,,,,,,,

cato

imported post

Ca Patriot wrote:
I like the board and I support the 2A and open carry rights. I have been thinking about doing it in Redondo Beach, Torrance, Hermosa Beach or Palos Verdes Estates. I had some ideas and plans.

Everyone should think long and hard about UOC. Do your research. Be prepared with 50,000 for a defense fund and if you can't follow up with a civil case (another 50,000 - 100,000) why put personal $$$$ and liberty at risk when the civil cases by Gura/CGF or Peruta WILL lead to changes in CA.

MH got lucky. He was also prepared in the coffee shop. What would have happened if he was stopped on his bike? Ped stops happen quickly and I doubt he would have been able to turn on his recorder.Reaching for his belt or pocket at that time would not have been wise. A false arrest under those circumstances would pit three officer's sworn testimony vs him in court. Would we be celebrating then???

Do yoursoul searching and if you still UOC plan well and effectively. Be aware that we are also now engaged in a hearts and minds fight for the public. Think about how your actions reported in the media will be viewed by neutral individuals who are being exposed to these ideas for the first time and adjust our messages for the greatest benefit to the case.

coolusername2007

imported post

cato wrote:
Guys in their defense (which is very hard to do)...This could have been me when I started out. Glad it wasn't but this is a HUGE training issue the dept should have handled a long time ago. The department hasfailed them and hung themand LACs out to dry by fostering an unfounded fear of lawful gun carry. If there was justice I could see prison time for the offenders.

Yes they broke the law but I don't relish a victory here when this was avoidable with proper training and attitude by that dept. But since it happened let the chips fall if they will.

Cato, I hear what you're saying and do not disagree...to a point. Just wanted to add that, as you know,LEO's are giving a lot of latitude for what they are tasked with, the amount of discretion they are granted is really something to consider. And with that discretion comes responsibility, and as we all know with responsibility comes accountability.

So, yes while training is key, ina lot ofways it comes down to their personal decisions based upon theiropinions, view points, biases, judgements, etc. Clearly we agree that these guys chose to willfully break the law and violate Mike's protected liberties, so here's to breaking through their qualified immunity and holding them personally accountable for the decisions and choices they made. Time to make some long over dueexamples out of them.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
cato wrote:
Guys in their defense (which is very hard to do)...This could have been me when I started out. Glad it wasn't but this is a HUGE training issue the dept should have handled a long time ago. The department hasfailed them and hung themand LACs out to dry by fostering an unfounded fear of lawful gun carry. If there was justice I could see prison time for the offenders.

Yes they broke the law but I don't relish a victory here when this was avoidable with proper training and attitude by that dept. But since it happened let the chips fall if they will.

Cato, I hear what you're saying and do not disagree...to a point. Just wanted to add that, as you know,LEO's are giving a lot of latitude for what they are tasked with, the amount of discretion they are granted is really something to consider. And with that discretion comes responsibility, and as we all know with responsibility comes accountability.

So, yes while training is key, ina lot ofways it comes down to their personal decisions based upon theiropinions, view points, biases, judgements, etc. Clearly we agree that these guys chose to willfully break the law and violate Mike's protected liberties, so here's to breaking through their qualified immunity and holding them personally accountable for the decisions and choices they made. Time to make some long over dueexamples out of them.
Yep, committing perjury and the subornation thereof isn't covered by QI.

leoffensive

imported post

Mike Hunt wrote:
leoffensive wrote:
Wow. Interesting reading about what happened there. Damn lapd. Well i was glad to hear your update in passadena. Id gladly go out and support ya a million times.

When you get your pistol back we should go out for a shoot
Thanks LEO. And yeah you're on for the shoot. Just gotta get the ol girl checked out first once I get her back. Wanna make sure she hasn't been molested, as I've heard the horror stories about what canhappen to a gun in an evidence room.:what:

ya perhaps we could do another meet and shoot at that place in palm springs we shot at in december.

i really did like that little area. maybe we get a decent turn out of people too.

ryanburbridge

imported post

Everyone should think long and hard about UOC.  Do your research.  Be prepared with 50,000 for a defense fund and if you can't follow up with a civil case (another 50,000 - 100,000) why put personal $$$$ and liberty at risk when the civil cases by Gura/CGF or Peruta WILL lead to changes in CA.

Freedom for sale. If you have money you to may exercise your rights. If you do not have money to bad. How much for free speach now days?

Good to meet some of you guys at the 6 th meet up in pasadena. Let's do long beach.

cato

imported post

ryanburbridge wrote:
Everyone should think long and hard about UOC. Do your research. Be prepared with 50,000 for a defense fund and if you can't follow up with a civil case (another 50,000 - 100,000) why put personal $$$$ and liberty at risk when the civil cases by Gura/CGF or Peruta WILL lead to changes in CA.
Freedom for sale. If you have money you to may exercise your rights. If you do not have money to bad. How much for free speech now days?

Good to meet some of you guys at the 6 th meet up in Pasadena. Let's do long beach.

I just want people to make informed and wise decisions. Know the risks. Several of our members who talked big prior to going through the legal ringer now have that 1000 yard stare. I dothank them for their efforts and sacrifices. Some have become casualties and others have escaped clean like Mike. Be careful out there. Carry On!

More from Oleg Volk!!:

Mike Hawk

imported post

Yeah well not exactly a clean escape if you count all the $$ and hassle. Yes, fortunately for me my arse is covered this time, but like was mentioned earlier, just imagine if I hadn't had it covered so many ways. Or some equipmentjust simply failed? It's a damn shame thatany one of us should have to go to such ridiculous lengths just to do something that is legal and Constitutionally "protected", but that's the climate we're in right now. The way I see it, a potential UOCer has several choices........

1 Stop UOCing until a friendlier legislative and/or judicial climate is established here in CA.

2 UOC willy-nilly just 'cause you've got the dough for anything they could possibly throw at you, true or not.

3 Carry so many surveillance gadgets that the NSA would be envious, and also pray that an unscrupulous officer doesn't break or disable them. (You know, for 'officer safety'!)

4 Carry only in groups, LARGE groups.

I'm sure this list could go on quite a bit. You get the idea. BTW I don't recommend #2. But the point is, we've gotta fight smart you guys. I know that the members on here who are not on board with the stand-down feel that way for good reasons. No one can honestlyargue thatthey are "wrong" either. But again, we've gotta fight smart and keep our arses covered twelve ways to Sunday. One thing I am coming to realize is that if I allow them to bog me down by giving them the opportunity to lie or litigate against me, it ties up resources that could be used for this cause. If we allow ourselves to be jammed up by any ol' street cop with a bad attitude and improper training, we'll never make it to higher levels. We'll be perpetually dickering around at lower levels.

Another thing we need to work on (myself included) is keeping a positive attitude in the face of ignorance, fear, FUD, tyranny, lies, injustice, anger, apathy, Bradys......:uhoh: It's very easy to get angry in this fight because it's a daunting task, and we have many adversaries. Some uninformed, many misinformed, and some just downright evil and dishonest. I'm not saying don't get angry, that'd be retarded. Anger is a normal response to these things, and it's a valid human emotion that must be felt and expressed. But we can't let them use it against us. When they pass stupid unconstitutional laws, when horrible things are done to good people, when freedom is written off as a quaint ideological notion, we get angry. Then the same people who perpetrate and facilitate these things turn right around and say "See?! Look at those angry nutballs over there! Someone should haul them off to the puzzle factory! Freakin' lunatics!" Well yes we're angry. And with good reason. But we've gotta keep our collective cool. It's not time to "vote from the rooftops" yet, know what I mean?

DEFENSOR

imported post

Hey Mike,

Right on, Up past my bed time. date night tonight, eyes getting puffy screen blurry. Had to check things out before turning in. Confidence is still high, I say let it ride and cover our tails. OK I'm out C'Ya.

Defensor

Mike Hawk

imported post

DEFENSOR wrote:
Hey Mike,

Right on, Up past my bed time. date night tonight, eyes getting puffy screen blurry. Had to check things out before turning in. Confidence is still high, I say let it ride and cover our tails. OK I'm out C'Ya.

Defensor

We did Soup Plantation and our taxes, 'cause we're CRAZY LIKE THAT!:celebrate

G'nite!

yelohamr

imported post

I think I'll have NSA crank up a sattelite to video me when I leave the house. If I get stopped by police I'll tell them to look up and smile.

oc4ever

imported post

Mike H,

What I might have missed if you finally give your name to them when you were booked? I know it is illegal to give a false name, but not sure if you can refuse to identify (without being held for a long time legally) upon booking.

I respect the actions you took, and your preparedness. I think at the point that they were telling you they were going to arrest you, I would have given up my name, right or wrong. You already have the video/audio evidence of the unconstitional violation, so whats the point of visiting the "gray bar hotel"? Stretching a UOC rope without hanging yourself with a financial and time consuming burden just seems the path of least resistance.

At this point, once the criminal matter dies down, you need to file a claim of compensation with the City of Los Angeles before too much time passes. Your case is very clear-cut, unless they come up with those mystery 12025 witnesses. At your arrangement, did you get copies of all the police reports? You are entitled to those for your defense at no cost. You can even request them now, so make sure you do.

12025 is a misdemenor, so the mystery party that saw you supposedly in violation would have to make a citizen's arrest upon you. The LAPD can not, since they did not see the violation. Something is way off here. All the mystery witnesses and their statements will be identified in the arrest report,that is why it is so important to go ask for the arrest documents before any civil action is taken. If the witnesses provided false statements, or LAPD embellished their statements(much more likely) the officers involved can join the civil lawsuit party with the City also if they lied.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

oc4ever wrote:
I respect the actions you took, and your preparedness. I think at the point that they were telling you they were going to arrest you, I would have given up my name, right or wrong.
I wouldn't. I would have done exactly what Mike did. The threat of arrest doesn't mean anything legally (as far as I know). Arrest means something. And while it's true that it sucks that Mike had to get taken to the police station and processed and sat around for hours, that is a far better choice to make than to give up your rights when the threat of arrest is mentioned.

Quite simply, police can threaten me all they like, it will be as threatening to me as if they were trying to sell me a newspaper. It is meaningless. Make them call their bluff and place themselves in hot water. Don't help turn California into a stop and identify state just because the cops choose to violate our rights.

Mike Hawk

imported post

OC4ever, when I was finally booked, my name was already on the paperwork. So refusal wouldn't/couldn't have been an issue by that time.