• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Encounter

kito109654

imported post

Charges can be filed 7 months later?! WHAAAAT?!

I wish you the best in this, I hope you filed a complain with the department back when it happened. I would also contact the NRA/ILA asap to see if you can get some assistance.

heresolong

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Get a public defender, they are not ideal most times but if you can prove you are broke they have provide you an attorney. Better than going alone.
Gonna disagree with you here. Public defenders, regardless of the theory, work for the state. They are paid by the state and work out of state offices. My wife got screwed twice by having a public defender whose only advice was to "plead guilty". PD didn't show up in court when needed, didn't tell us she was taking a leave of absence and wouldn't be our PD anymore, etc. It was a joke and my wife spend six months in jail on a DUI charge when others were getting off with a slap on the wrist by hiring a lawyer.

Call olypendrew and ask him some questions.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

heresolong wrote:
sudden valley gunner wrote:
Get a public defender, they are not ideal most times but if you can prove you are broke they have provide you an attorney. Better than going alone.
Gonna disagree with you here. Public defenders, regardless of the theory, work for the state. They are paid by the state and work out of state offices. My wife got screwed twice by having a public defender whose only advice was to "plead guilty". PD didn't show up in court when needed, didn't tell us she was taking a leave of absence and wouldn't be our PD anymore, etc. It was a joke and my wife spend six months in jail on a DUI charge when others were getting off with a slap on the wrist by hiring a lawyer.

Call olypendrew and ask him some questions.
The highlighted is the best. I had a public defender and agree with you heresolong for the most part they do if you let them. I had one though that loved ticking off the prosecutor and winnning against him.

But sad to say I do agree with you, I was just thinking it could be better than nothing.

joeroket

imported post

At least have a consultation with the PD before you hire a private one. There is a chance that you might get a PD that is looking to make a name for himself instead of trying to cram as many cases as he can in 1 month. Afterall they do get paid on a per case basis.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

This is what the prosecution will have to prove, as provided in the jury instructions.
If you use a Public Defender, do your research and provide all the legal information you can to him or her and do not settle for less then protecting you.

11A WAPRAC WPIC 133.40
WPIC 133.40 Unlawful Display of a Weapon—Definition

11A Wash. Prac., Pattern Jury Instr. Crim. WPIC 133.40 (3d Ed)

Washington Practice Series TM Current through the Third Edition Washington Pattern Jury Instructions--Criminal 2008 Edition Prepared by the Washington Supreme Court Committee On Jury Instructions, Hon. Sharon S. Armstrong, Co-Chair, Hon. William L. Downing, Co-Chair Part XIII.

Miscellaneous Crimes WPIC CHAPTER 133. Weapon Offenses WPIC 133.40

Unlawful Display of a Weapon—Definition A person commits the crime of unlawfully displaying a weapon when he or she carries, exhibits, displays or draws a [firearm][dagger][sword][knife][or][cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm], in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place [that manifests an intent to intimidate another][or][that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons].

NOTE ON USE Use this instruction if it will help the jury understand the charged offense or if it is necessary to define this particular offense for the jury. See the

Comment to WPIC 4.24, Definition of the Crime—Form. Use bracketed material as applicable. Use WPIC 10.01, Intent—Intentionally—Definition, with this instruction if the defendant is charged with carrying, exhibiting, displaying or drawing a weapon with intent to intimidate another.

COMMENT RCW 9.41.270. See the Comment to WPIC 133.41, Unlawful Display of a Weapon—Elements.

11A WAPRAC WPIC 133.41 WPIC 133.41 Unlawful Display of a Weapon—Elements

11A Wash. Prac., Pattern Jury Instr. Crim. WPIC 133.41 (3d Ed)

Washington Practice Series TM Current through the Third Edition Washington Pattern Jury Instructions--Criminal 2008 Edition Prepared by the Washington Supreme Court Committee On Jury Instructions, Hon. Sharon S. Armstrong, Co-Chair, Hon. William L. Downing, Co-Chair

Part XIII. Miscellaneous Crimes WPIC CHAPTER 133.

Weapon Offenses WPIC 133.41 Unlawful Display of a Weapon—Elements To convict the defendant of the crime of unlawfully displaying a weapon, each of the following elements of the crime must be proved beyond a reasonable doubt:

(1) That on or about __________, the defendant [carried][exhibited][displayed][or][drew] a [firearm][dagger][sword][knife][cutting or stabbing instrument][club][or] [any [other] weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm];

(2) That the defendant [carried][exhibited][displayed][or][drew] the weapon in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that [manifested an intent to intimidate another][or][warranted alarm for the safety of other persons]; and (3) That this act occurred in the [State of Washington][City of ][County of ].

If you find from the evidence that each of these elements has been proved beyond a reasonable doubt, then it will be your duty to return a verdict of guilty. On the other hand, if, after weighing all the evidence, you have a reasonable doubt as to any one of these elements, then it will be your duty to return a verdict of not guilty.

NOTE ON USE Use bracketed material as applicable. Use WPIC 10.01, Intent—Intentionally—Definition, as applicable, with this instruction. In element (3), choose from among the bracketed phrases depending on whether the case is in superior, municipal, or district court. See the Introduction to WPIC 4.20. For a discussion of the phrase “this act” in element (3), see the Introduction to WPIC 4.20 and the Note on Use to WPIC 4.21, Elements of the Crime—Form.

COMMENT RCW 9.41.270. Unlawful display of a weapon is a lesser included offense of second degree assault with a deadly weapon. State v. Baggett, 103 Wn.App. 564, 13 P.3d 659 (2000). See also State v. Fernandez-Medina, 141 Wn.2d 448, 6 P.3d 1150 (2000); State v. Ward, 125 Wn.App. 243, 104 P.3d 670 (2004). Similarly, unlawful display of a weapon may be a lesser included offense of attempted first degree robbery under some circumstances. State v. Workman, 90 Wn.2d 443, 584 P.2d 382 (1978); see also State v. Dowell, 26 Wn.App. 629, 613 P.2d 197 (1980) (first degree robbery). The statute sets forth a number of exceptions. The statute does not apply to: (a) Any act committed by a person while in his place of abode or fixed place of business; (b) Any person who by virtue of his office or public employment is vested by law with a duty to preserve public safety, maintain public order, or to make arrests for offenses, while in the performance of such duty; (c) Any person acting for the purpose of protecting himself against the use of presently threatened unlawful force by another, or for the purpose of protecting another against the use of such unlawful force by a third person; (d) Any person making or assisting in making a lawful arrest for the commission of a felony; or (e) Any person engaged in military activities sponsored by the federal or state governments. It is not clear whether these exceptions constitute separate elements of this offense that the State must prove the absence of beyond a reasonable doubt or whether these are affirmative defenses that the defendant has the burden of proving. If it is determined that the State has the burden of proof, additional elements will need to be included in this instruction setting forth these exceptions. If it is determined that the defendant has the burden of proving these exceptions separate instructions should be drafted for each applicable exception. For a detailed discussion of burden of proof issues relating to defenses see the Introduction to Part IV, Defenses. Although RCW 9.41.270 allows the display of a weapon in one's home, it does not permit display accompanied by the manifestation of assaultive intent. State v. Hupe, 50 Wn.App. 277, 748 P.2d 263 (1988) (defendant not denied due process of law by being charged with second degree assault rather than display of a weapon), disapproved of on other grounds in State v. Smith, 159 Wn.2d 778, 154 P.3d 873 (2007). For discussions relating to the weapons listed in RCW 9.41.270, see the Comments to WPIC 2.07, Deadly Weapon—Definition for Sentence Enhancement—Special Verdict—General, and the related instructions WPIC 2.07.01 and WPIC 2.07.02.

The statute only requires that the circumstances warrant alarm for the safety of others. The circumstances do not need to actively cause such alarm. State v. Workman, supra. The statute was upheld against various constitutional challenges, including the right to bear arms, vagueness, and overbreadth. State v. Spencer, 75 Wn.App. 118, 876 P.2d 939 (1994). [Current as of July 2008.] Westlaw. © 2009 Thomson Reuters. No Claim to Orig. U.S. Govt. Works. 11A WAPRAC WPIC 133.41

END OF DOCUMENT

jarhead1911A

imported post

All lawyers court appointed or not by law as a officer of the court have todo what is in the best intest of there client. Most PD's dont care and are so overworked as it is that they cant defend everyone to the best of there ability. Sadly this is the justice system we have and it sucks......

colt45ws

imported post

Anyone have a pdf of State v. Workman? I cant find it anywhere. It seems to be referenced just about everywhere, which seems to be the problem since Im finding references and not the actual ruling.

colt45ws

imported post

Thanks, Tawnos.

I just got a nice piece of mail informing me they have denied my FOIA because the case has been sent to the prosecutors office, I have to request it from them.

colt45ws

imported post

Morons. The RCW they cite expired in 2006. The new law does not have the section they cite. Does any one have a reference for what RCW 42.17.310(1)(d) was? I sent her an email.

According to my reading, RCW 42.17.310 expired July 1, 2006. It was recodified as RCW 42.56.210, effective July 1, 2006. There is no (1)(d) in the new law, what are you referencing?

RCW 42.56.210 Certain personal and other records exempt.
(1) Except for information described in RCW 42.56.230(3)(a) and confidential income data exempted from public inspection pursuant to RCW 84.40.020, the exemptions of this chapter are inapplicable to the extent that information, the disclosure of which would violate personal privacy or vital governmental interests, can be deleted from the specific records sought. No exemption may be construed to permit the nondisclosure of statistical information not descriptive of any readily identifiable person or persons.

(2) Inspection or copying of any specific records exempt under the provisions of this chapter may be permitted if the superior court in the county in which the record is maintained finds, after a hearing with notice thereof to every person in interest and the agency, that the exemption of such records is clearly unnecessary to protect any individual's right of privacy or any vital governmental function.

(3) Agency responses refusing, in whole or in part, inspection of any public record shall include a statement of the specific exemption authorizing the withholding of the record (or part) and a brief explanation of how the exemption applies to the record withheld.
[2005 c 274 § 402. Prior: (2006 c 302 § 11 expired July 1, 2006); (2006 c 75 § 2 expired July 1, 2006); (2006 c 8 § 111 expired July 1, 2006); (2003 1st sp.s. c 26 § 926 expired June 30, 2005); 2003 c 277 § 3; 2003 c 124 § 1; prior: 2002 c 335 § 1; 2002 c 224 § 2; 2002 c 205 § 4; 2002 c 172 § 1; prior: 2001 c 278 § 1; 2001 c 98 § 2; 2001 c 70 § 1; prior: 2000 c 134 § 3; 2000 c 56 § 1; 2000 c 6 § 5; prior: 1999 c 326 § 3; 1999 c 290 § 1; 1999 c 215 § 1; 1998 c 69 § 1; prior: 1997 c 310 § 2; 1997 c 274 § 8; 1997 c 250 § 7; 1997 c 239 § 4; 1997 c 220 § 120 (Referendum Bill No. 48, approved June 17, 1997); 1997 c 58 § 900; prior: 1996 c 305 § 2; 1996 c 253 § 302; 1996 c 191 § 88; 1996 c 80 § 1; 1995 c 267 § 6; prior: 1994 c 233 § 2; 1994 c 182 § 1; prior: 1993 c 360 § 2; 1993 c 320 § 9; 1993 c 280 § 35; prior: 1992 c 139 § 5; 1992 c 71 § 12; 1991 c 301 § 13; 1991 c 87 § 13; 1991 c 23 § 10; 1991 c 1 § 1; 1990 2nd ex.s. c 1 § 1103; 1990 c 256 § 1; prior: 1989 1st ex.s. c 9 § 407; 1989 c 352 § 7; 1989 c 279 § 23; 1989 c 238 § 1; 1989 c 205 § 20; 1989 c 189 § 3; 1989 c 11 § 12; prior: 1987 c 411 § 10; 1987 c 404 § 1; 1987 c 370 § 16; 1987 c 337 § 1; 1987 c 107 § 2; prior: 1986 c 299 § 25; 1986 c 276 § 7; 1985 c 414 § 8; 1984 c 143 § 21; 1983 c 133 § 10; 1982 c 64 § 1; 1977 ex.s. c 314 § 13; 1975-'76 2nd ex.s. c 82 § 5; 1975 1st ex.s. c 294 § 17; 1973 c 1 § 31 (Initiative Measure No. 276, approved November 7, 1972). Formerly RCW 42.17.310.]

DaemonForce

imported post

To me it doesn't look like you're being charged with anything.

I hate presentations like that. If I were presented with a situation like that it's like either plea is a lie. In this case the charge is. Take 'em down! :uhoh:

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Looks like to me they are butt hurt and looking to make an example of you, I have full faith that you will be making an example out of the them.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

colt45ws wrote:
I cant find any info on he Deputy Prosecuting Attorney. Other than his WSBA# is 40533 (I pulled that out of memory.) The county site is next to useless.
colt while this is a nerve wracking time the only thing that is going to happen in court is you will be read the charges and asked you what your plea is, be it guilty or not guilty, if you would want a trial by Judge or Jury, if punishable by imprisonment you will be provided a court appointed attorney if you cannot afford one and if bail is to be set or released upon your own recognizance.
This is normal and not the place to plea your standing as to the law as it will not be dismissed in this hearing.

Contacting the DA yourself at this point will do you no good, they have already made up there distorted minds to move ahead with this or some sort of plea deal, wait until you have an attorney and let them deal with them.

Continue gathering information to support your position as to laws and court decisions directly relating to your case so you can educate your lawyer, remember you are the victim here.

Go into court confident respectful and self assured, the formalities will be over in no time.

Note that this is often what many go through after an incident and is a trying time for some, stay calm and try to relax, find support from family and friends and you may find out not all will support your position (normal) but rest assure place value in your position.

Oh and for SVG the cite would be "BigDave Said So" :shock::lol::celebrate

colt45ws

imported post

BigDave wrote:
colt45ws wrote:
I cant find any info on he Deputy Prosecuting Attorney. Other than his WSBA# is 40533 (I pulled that out of memory.) The county site is next to useless.
colt while this is a nerve wracking time the only thing that is going to happen in court is you will be read the charges and asked you what your plea is, be it guilty or not guilty, if you would want a trial by Judge or Jury, if punishable by imprisonment you will be provided a court appointed attorney if you cannot afford one and if bail is to be set or released upon your own recognizance.
This is normal and not the place to plea your standing as to the law as it will not be dismissed in this hearing.

Contacting the DA yourself at this point will do you no good, they have already made up there distorted minds to move ahead with this or some sort of plea deal, wait until you have an attorney and let them deal with them.

Continue gathering information to support your position as to laws and court decisions directly relating to your case so you can educate your lawyer, remember you are the victim here.

Go into court confident respectful and self assured, the formalities will be over in no time.

Note that this is often what many go through after an incident and is a trying time for some, stay calm and try to relax, find support from family and friends and you may find out not all will support your position (normal) but rest assure place value in your position.

I would prefer not to inform my friends and family about this.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

colt45ws wrote:
BigDave wrote:
colt45ws wrote:

I dont care to contact the DA, I would just like to know more on the person.
Judge or Jury? I have a say in the matter? I had no idea. I would hope I can get released OR. Im going to push for that. I have a clean record, and it isnt a felony.
I would prefer not to inform my friends and family about this.
As to Judge or Jury, an attorney would recommend you keep all your options intact, request a jury trial and yes it is your right to be judge by your peers.

I am sure as well there is no issue on being release on OR as you pose no threat to society and have good standing in the community as being a law abiding citizen.

Note the prosecutor has a tough road to haul in making this case, he will more then likely offer a plea bargain which I would not accept.

Remember their standing is weak to say the least.

(2) That the defendant [carried][exhibited][displayed][or][drew] the weapon in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that [manifested an intent to intimidate another][or][warranted alarm for the safety of other persons]; and (3) That this act occurred in the [State of Washington][City of][County of].
Note "manifested an intent to intimidate another" this is where they will have a difficult time, as showing your demeanor or actions showing to intimidate others while legally carrying your firearm in your holster and conducting normal business.

Just because others do not know the law that open carry is legal, does not constitute alarm, no excuse for ignorance of the law works both ways.

You have an anti gun prosecutor as you probably already know, it would be interesting to find out what groups he is affiliated with!