• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FL Open Carry Bill in Committee needs YOUR HELP NOW!

quartell

I watched the begining of the sb 234, it was the very last bill of the day, LEO is who wanted the certian restrictions on it.

Couldnt finish it had class :(

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
http://congress.org/congressorg/bio/id/136838

USMC, Previous Sheriff of Citrus County; handed the Meth biz off to Dawsey and he ran with it...

My Step Dad is USMC too, and actually served in a REAL war. He's felt the wrath of Citrus just because he's related to me. These people are not afraid to threaten or kill your family members to gain compliance.

You are not dealing with the politicians you are used to dealing with. This guy has connections, and WILL kill again to get his way.

Last edited:

77zach

I've emailed all the co sponsors of the House bill, telling them it's up to them and the rest of the senate to get this bill to governor scott (who pledged to sign it) as it was originally written. The Chair of that committee, Mr. Baxley is for OC and is very strongly for campus carry.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I understand there are the committee members email address in the first post of this thread, but can we get a list of the people who will see this bill next? I guess they are who we should focus on now. amirite?

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
These requirements are outrageous!

Wearing your open carry badge! Displaying your personal info on your license like some sort of open carry badge is a violation of your privacy! This requirement and will lead to people thinking that an open carrier is some sort of official.

Retention training requirements for civilians! Police regularly get in scuffles with criminals that they are trying to take to jail, they need enhanced retention training, not average citizens!

Having only one type of approved holster! Just taking off your jacket would make you a criminal unless you were using a holster that is not made for concealment. There is also no statutory definition of a level 2 holster.

Sign up for email alerts here: http://www.floridacarry.org/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=28

We will be putting out instructions for a coordinated response to this shortly.

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I hear people saying they won't open carry with the current way the bill is sitting due to the fact that they'd be a Florida "subject."

Don't we already fit that description if we have a CCW license? By carrying with a CCW license you have surrendered the 2nd Amendment as a right and have now practiced it as a privilage. So what's the big deal?

Am I the only one that might be tempted to still open carry here? No I don't agree with it one bit, however, it's hot as balls in Florida and I want to OC. I might just wear the stupid "badge" for now and turn the inside toward my belt. It didn't say which side has to be visable.

And does this say you need retention holster training to recieve the CCW? Because I already have the CCW license, do I need to reaccomplish anything and mail it in? I am confused on this. From my understanding the CCW license will require retention holster training proof for anyone trying to obtain one from here on out.

--------------------------

To be clear I'm not "giving in" to the new law. I'm just saying, FOR NOW until we get it our way, am I a big douche bag to OC with the stupid ID showing?

Last edited:

Kingfish

And does this say you need retention holster training to recieve the CCW? Because I already have the CCW license, do I need to reaccomplish anything and mail it in? I am confused on this. From my understanding the CCW license will require retention holster training proof for anyone trying to obtain one from here on out.
The way I read it is that as long as the training course covers retention then you are good to go. My TN permit course did cover retention (though briefly) so in my opinion, if I applied for a FL permit, I could use that training and be fine.

To be clear I'm not "giving in" to the new law. I'm just saying, FOR NOW until we get it our way, am I a big douche bag to OC with the stupid ID showing?
I am right there with you. When we visit FL, I rarely carry on-body due to the heat and I struggle to conceal anyway. I would just use one of THESE on my belt in front of the holster.

77zach

I hear people saying they won't open carry with the current way the bill is sitting due to the fact that they'd be a Florida "subject."

Don't we already fit that description if we have a CCW license? By carrying with a CCW license you have surrendered the 2nd Amendment as a right and have now practiced it as a privilage. So what's the big deal?

Am I the only one that might be tempted to still open carry here? No I don't agree with it one bit, however, it's hot as balls in Florida and I want to OC. I might just wear the stupid "badge" for now and turn the inside toward my belt. It didn't say which side has to be visable.

--------------------------

You're not a douche, it's just that the requirements are stupid and demeaning. As I said elsewhere, having your picture on your holster is stupid, dorky, and somewhat like a jewish star pre world war 2. It's a violation of privacy, and what happens if the permit slips out somehow? I'm also not going to be limited to a L2 holster.

Even if we can't get school carry back (which my rep still thinks is doable, btw) the OC part is easily fixable.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
The way I read it is that as long as the training course covers retention then you are good to go. My TN permit course did cover retention (though briefly) so in my opinion, if I applied for a FL permit, I could use that training and be fine.

I am right there with you. When we visit FL, I rarely carry on-body due to the heat and I struggle to conceal anyway. I would just use one of THESE on my belt in front of the holster.

maybe we can wear them like this with our CWL?

Attachments

• 0803k7_861_detail.jpg
    0803k7_861_detail.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

maps761

Level 2 Holster

I found a good example of a Level 2 holster. If only we could look as good as this dude.

--Moderator Edited--

Please do not misdirect threads.
Post only appropriate material to the subject.