• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Former Marine killed in botched SWAT raid

eye95

Something about the audio portion of that video has been bothering me, and the lightbulb just popped on.

The siren sounds extremely loud and clear, while everything else is muffled. If the officers were actually shouting, they weren't shouting as loud as the four knocks on the door (which can barely be heard over the music, which seems to be playing very softly). The gunfire is distinct, but also isn't as loud as the siren.

So... either that siren noise was added after the fact, or it was actually only played inside the vehicle, where the helmet cam was located.

And of course, where is the footage from the other helmet cams? The only camera was worn by someone who didn't go on the raid? I doubt that.

Or was very loud.

==============

That is a straw. Feel free to grasp at it.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Something about the audio portion of that video has been bothering me, and the lightbulb just popped on.

The siren sounds extremely loud and clear, while everything else is muffled. If the officers were actually shouting, they weren't shouting as loud as the four knocks on the door (which can barely be heard over the music, which seems to be playing very softly). The gunfire is distinct, but also isn't as loud as the siren.

As far as the gunfire goes, the "popcorn" sound is common when recording gunfire such that the loudest portion (first few milliseconds) doesn't clip. With a helmet cam, the sound levels are certainly adjusted using auto level control, so each gunshot is going to be recorded such that the loudest portion doesn't exceed 0 dB. Thus the loudness is the same as everything else, and you get little to no decay, resulting in "popcorn". Else, it would clip and all you'd hear is distortion. No mic on a helmet cam is going to be capable of accurately recording the dynamic range present in a scene with people talking and gunshots, without adjusting the levels.

Recording gunshots isn't simple. You can read about it if you're interested:

http://designingsound.org/2010/06/charles-maynes-special-gun-recording-thoughts-for-2010/

http://designingsound.org/2010/04/chuck-russom-special-gun-recording-guide/

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

Family files $20M lawsuit after fatal SWAT raid

Posted: Aug 12, 2011 11:00 PM Updated: Aug 12, 2011 11:46 PM
By Sonu Wasu

TUCSON, AZ (KOLD) - The family of a former-marine killed during a SWAT raid at his home, filed a $20 million dollar lawsuit against several agencies this week....

New video released by the sheriff's department on Friday shows Vanessa Guerena being dragged out of her home. It shows Vanessa Guerena and her 4-year old child crying outside, while SWAT team officials raided their home.

http://www.kold.com/story/15260898/family-files-20-million-dollar-lawsuit-after-swat-raid

frommycolddeadhands

So the story changes yet again, as now the SWAT team is saying he had a rifle in his hands which is why they opened fire.

And it turns out that 71+ shots were fired, and only 22 of them hit the Marine. (sounds a lot more likely than the 60+ hits that was originally reported)

I hope the lady gets every cent of the 20 million that shes suing for. I hope they disband that SWAT unit --they don't look that well trained anyway, especially the one in the video that hears the shots, hesitates for 2 seconds, and then goes dashing forward with his pistol drawn ( completely forgetting about the rifle on his back) and fires what looks like random shots through the doorway before he has a chance to even see WTF he's shooting at. The rest of the team doesn't exactly look like they know WTF is going on either. Most of them are just standing on the lawn looking important in their helmet and vest.

Also, the guy who tells the wife "Come forward so we can help you" after they just murdered her husband in the doorway (She had to step over his body to get outside) should be summarily kicked in the groin. Then the lot of them should be prosecuted IMO.

frommycolddeadhands

another thought

I just went back and re-watched the video of the SWAT team making the breach. They played a siren for about ten seconds, then it looks like the team used a battering ram to break the door in. One member of the SWAT team can clearly be seen standing openly in the doorway for about three seconds- then all the shooting starts and the other team members come running to the doorway and open fire.

The sound quality on the vid is kinda rough because the guy wearing the helmet cam is inside the van with music playing, but a few things I noticed:

I never heard anyone yell "Police Officers, we have a warrant!" or any other such thing before or after the door was breached.
I never heard anyone yell "Drop the weapon!"

Also, in the news reports they noted that the Marine had been shot in the hands. That's sorta hard to do if he was holding an AR-15 in a firing position. That sounds more like he put his hands up to shield himself and the bullets just kept coming.

This incident was tragic enough, but the smear campagne the police and DA ran against this guy afterward was dispicable. They said he had a likeness of the patron saint of drug dealers under his bed, that he had 'components of a police uniform' etc, etc. Trying to do a character assassination AFTER filling his body full of lead.

Why hasn't this case been on the national news? If an Army Pvt puts underwear on a suspected terrorists head over in Cuba it stays up on the television for months and we run them through trial for mistreatment of prisoners and torture. A SWAT team shoots an innocent man in his own home 20+ times in front of his wife and child, then deny him medical care for over an hour, and the only blip on the media screen we get is local news and youtube?

The whole world has gone nuts.