• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Forum Moderation & Feedback

How Much Moderation is good for OCDO?

• Needs More Moderation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's Just Right

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Do we not already have a courtesy caution somewhere in the rules about posting large pictures?

I really don't care to see large pictures that then get "quoted" for us to see again. I don't have dial-up, but scrolling through can be tedious.

IanB

imported post

The problem with "courtesy cautions" for large pics is the orig poster writes the title during the first post and may not include pics. Subsequent postings can include large pics, and the post title would not reflect that and cannot be changed by the orig poster.

IanB

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Not just dial-up but 5 miles of POTS wire (no DSL). After a microwave link across Death's Door at ~45N, so satellites are hidden by trees if you're lucky (they can be cut down) or the Niagra Escarpment - 1200 feet of it is my backyard bluff and it can't be just 'cut' down.

I'm hoping for a satellite dish atop my 75 foot antenna mast atop the bluff but it is probably not stable enough. A tiny fraction of a degree of shake at the end of a 23,700+ mile beam is a lot of miss.

I am considered fortunate with my typical 33K connections. Some can't beat 20K.
Dang Doug, that sucks! I stand corrected. :uhoh:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

They're not really too far off-topic. This'll swing around any minute into a suggestion that a Moderator update and enforce the rules on large files.

TrueBrit

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
BobCav wrote:
Thanks, Tomahawk. Yeah an awful lot on immigration, I've seen that. That's more of a political issue, as it doesn't affect our liberty or freedom (See rule 1). You could argue that almost ANYTHING is related to one of those, but I'm going to put a lid on that stuff. We don't want to get into politics except how it relates to gun rights.

Once I get a good response to this, we'll lay out some memberguidelines.

Bob,

As one of those who does participate in a lot of off topic discussions, I can certain try not to do that in the future. But I think to keep any forum alive and growing, you really do want a variety of topics available for discussion even if the connection to OC/CC and firearms is remote. It would soon become very boring if all that was available was threads full of open carry reports. While that is valuable information to "the cause", there is more to discuss to move the ball down field.

As long as the posts on immigration and similar kinds of issues are confined to the politics areas, I am not certain I see the harm. Someone here suggested an area for open topic discussion (think Rush open line Friday here) might be a good answer for that sort of thing. I would agree with that, rather than a prior restraint approach. If people think the topic is out of place, they usually "vote it off the island" by not participating in the thread and allowing it to "sink".

The only suggestion I might make is to remember that people focused in a debate on an issue might not realize the extent this bothers (inhibits) others. Kind of like target fixation. You guys might want to consider stepping in gently on those occasions just to break the tension and apply a note of objectivity. You know a gentle reminder that "take no prisoners" is not the order of the day.

On the whole I think you guys do good job.

Regards
Good post, Hawk! Other than that, the forum aint broke, don't fix it! Let us just remember that we are indeed Mr. Pierce's guests, and behave accordingly.TrueBrit.

kparker

imported post

One thing to remember, and emphasize again and again for those who like to go off on tangents (and I'm certainly not immune from the temptation):
anyone can start a new thread
any time they want to
So when the discussion starts to veer of, and you're helping push it that way--stop for a moment and see if you can't use your digression as the starting point for a whole new thread with a whole new title.

[ edited to insert a missing word--preview is, apparently, just a waste of time! :-( ]

Tomahawk

imported post

TrueBrit wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
BobCav wrote:
Thanks, Tomahawk. Yeah an awful lot on immigration, I've seen that. That's more of a political issue, as it doesn't affect our liberty or freedom (See rule 1). You could argue that almost ANYTHING is related to one of those, but I'm going to put a lid on that stuff. We don't want to get into politics except how it relates to gun rights.

Once I get a good response to this, we'll lay out some memberguidelines.

Bob,

As one of those who does participate in a lot of off topic discussions, I can certain try not to do that in the future. But I think to keep any forum alive and growing, you really do want a variety of topics available for discussion even if the connection to OC/CC and firearms is remote. It would soon become very boring if all that was available was threads full of open carry reports. While that is valuable information to "the cause", there is more to discuss to move the ball down field.

As long as the posts on immigration and similar kinds of issues are confined to the politics areas, I am not certain I see the harm. Someone here suggested an area for open topic discussion (think Rush open line Friday here) might be a good answer for that sort of thing. I would agree with that, rather than a prior restraint approach. If people think the topic is out of place, they usually "vote it off the island" by not participating in the thread and allowing it to "sink".

The only suggestion I might make is to remember that people focused in a debate on an issue might not realize the extent this bothers (inhibits) others. Kind of like target fixation. You guys might want to consider stepping in gently on those occasions just to break the tension and apply a note of objectivity. You know a gentle reminder that "take no prisoners" is not the order of the day.

On the whole I think you guys do good job.

Regards
Good post, Hawk! Other than that, the forum aint broke, don't fix it! Let us just remember that we are indeed Mr. Pierce's guests, and behave accordingly.TrueBrit.
I guess an "off-topic" section would be a good idea.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

That is certainly something this forum could use an off topic section. I feel that we have a little too much mission creep in News and Political alerts. There are a lot of threads that are pretty far from gun related. Personally I think we would be better served if we kept away from topics like abortion, immigration, welfare and the like.

vrwmiller

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
I guess an "off-topic" section would be a good idea.

+1

Been seeing a fair amount of off-topic posts lately. Would be nice if there was a dumping ground for them on the board. Some of those off-topic posts are on issues I am interested in. So, that dumping ground should be a forum called "Off-Topic" or somesuch.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

longwatch wrote:
That is certainly something this forum could use an off topic section. I feel that we have a little too much mission creep in News and Political alerts. There are a lot of threads that are pretty far from gun related. Personally I think we would be better served if we kept away from topics like abortion, immigration, welfare and the like.

I agree. They're important topics, but they're political and not gun or necessarily freedom/liberty related.

I'll mention it to John.

Collier4385

imported post

Freedom and liberty are terms used subjectively and loosely. We have heard BobCav speak his dissent, but the supermoderators John and Mike have not made complaint or locked any threads concerning this issue. Is this really an issue or just a complaint by a minority?

An OT section could be used for any personal or other than gun related politics.

I am noticing a trend in many forums to kill politics, and I feel that if I share a common belief with you in one area, why not find more common ground to stand together on? The free exchange of ideas has been working well on this forum, and I guess I do not see an issue. Put the issue to vote to see how the community feels, unless Mr. Pierce feels otherwise. It is his forum. A true representation of how the community feels should be presented to him along with any personal views.

IanB

imported post

It all comes down to this...

This is "opencarry.org" not "openborders.org".

I want to come here to learn about guns, not Mexicans or corrupt legislators. There are other sites for that nonsense.

Collier4385

imported post

It may be viewed as nonsense to some, and some may view it as being important. The question at hand is whether or not OCDO should remain static or should there be some flexibility on off topic issues from border jumping to who produces the best beer.

We can go back and forth on this issue all day long without reaching a resolution. We can make inflammatory statements and make this very contentious. The best recourse of action is waiting for John Pierce to make his decision as proprietor of OCDO.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Kelly has kept his immigration stuff to a relative minimum. He hasn't turned this forum into a Minuteman board by any means.

I'm willing to chalkup the immigration threads tothe subject of collective self-defense--and that is not particularly a stretch. Besides the invasion itself, and the legalized robbery that will happen when the invaders aquire socialized benefits, at some point this current immigration issue is going to come to a boil. Riots are a possibility.

If you think about it, there is little difference between the thread "Who needs a gun in a ______________?" and "Here come 10,000 more potential felons mixed in with the other illegals."

VAopencarry

imported post

Kelly has kept his immigration stuff to a relative minimum.

Surely you jest. There are 6 Immigration threads by Kelly on the first page alone. Borderline spam in my opinion. Looks like about 1 immigration post every 1.5 days. I believe immigration is a topic for debate but not in N&P. I vote for an Off Topic area, 'The Dumping Ground' :D

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
Surely you jest. There are 6 Immigration threads by Kelly on the first page alone. Borderline spam in my opinion. Looks like about 1 immigration post every 1.5 days. I believe immigration is a topic for debate but not in N&P. I vote for an Off Topic area, 'The Dumping Ground' :D

We must have different "first pages". I see one.

Kelly J

imported post

This is directed to the Open Carry Members, there has been several remarks in regard to my post in the political front and rightly so, I did get carried away and to all I appoligize and assureyou that I will not post any political content in the future that does not directly relate to the topic of Open Carry. Or at least Guns.

I do appreciate the exchanges with several members as it was a pleasure to communicate with your agreeable as well as your disagreement's on different subjects, and also if my posting had anything to do with this discussion of Forum rules, then I am even more sorry as that was never my intent to cause a rift in what I feel is an exellent, forum and People on same.

Please accept my appoligy for my error's and as I stated they will not be repeated.

Respectfully Yours Kelly J

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well, thank you very much Kelly. :) Sheesh, just trying to respectmy elders. :)

Oh, well. I guess I can always go to aMinuteman website to keep up on the latest.