• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Forum Moderation & Feedback

How Much Moderation is good for OCDO?

• Needs More Moderation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's Just Right

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BB62 wrote:
...SNIP
- online squabbling or diatribes by users; especially HankT, HawkFlyer, and LEO229 - whose egos seem to be only exceeded by their post lengths
SNIP ...
BB62

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. Fortunately, I am entitled to hold the opposite opinion, and a few new ones of my own.

IMHO you need to learn that internet forums are not all about YOU or YOUR interests, and you need to learn how to operate your computer so that it does not irritate you by forcing you to read things you don't want to see. While you may like the world of sound bites presented on TV, this is not TV.

LEO 229 frequently represents controversial issues that require explanation, and he takes the time to explain. I am first and foremost a teacher, and ALWAYS try to present ideas in context. HankT likes to stir the pot, and does so with vigor.

Like Leo I hope you stay around. Please feel free not to read my posts. I won't edit you, and I won't let you edit me.

Regards

Tomahawk

imported post

dueling.gif

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HankT wrote:
bsflag.gif

...SNIP
No one disagreed with it and only one person questioned the  proposal by the guy, allowing a reasonable person to estimate that most readers here agree with it. A very righty/conservative kind of thinking. Which reflects the general political positioning of OCDC membership.
SNIP...

Actually that is an overly broad assumption on your part, that a "reasonable" person would NOT make. It is far more likely that not everyone on the forum read that post. It is equally possible that not everyone comments on every post they read, and they certainly do not comment on the ones they do not see. In any case, just because someone does not comment on something, does not mean they agree with it.

Your statement and the derivative conclusion are gratuitous presumptions, that serve only to support your desire to denigrate members of this forum.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Where do you find fencing smileys!! :D
There are many ways to reduce wasted bandwidth and time. An easy one is to filter emoticons. It is a bit more difficult to filter ... other non-content.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Tomahawk

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Where do you find fencing smileys!! :D
There are many ways to reduce wasted bandwidth and time. An easy one is to filter emoticons. It is a bit more difficult to filter ... other non-content.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
nopityA.gif

KellyJ

imported post

Collier4385 wrote:
I for one appreciated Kelly J as a lone watchman ringing the bells in the tower warning of impending doom. You sir are a true American!

As Colin Quinn once stated, "its all right to celebrate our diversity as long as we don't point out that people are different." While it is true that we a diverse in many ways, we should not fear alienating one another. Forums come and go, and I think that so far OCDO has been successful because of the free exchange of intelligent debate without overmoderation. As different people, we may disagree on many things, but it shouldn't be frowned upon as disrupting the collective thinking. Our strengths should come from our wide sprectrum of differences channeled in a positive direction.

I stand down from my soapbox at this time. I like OCDO as it is. :celebrate
I appreciate your remarks very much.

Gene Beasley

imported post

I like the fact that we are more or less self-policed. Sometimes it works, other times not so much. Just like life.

One thing I would like to see is someone cull the spam membership so our member count reflects reality or at least not inflated with the likes of that ilk. I can imagine a journalist creating a membership in order to have full access (don't remember what you can't access; seem to think embedded downloads, profiles and member list). I would hat to see it come out that our numbers are inflated.

Also would love to see location be a required field, at least to the state - but that's just me.