• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Getting pulled over while armed in Fairfax County.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

INAL, but let me guess and ask.

If there was no reported violence or such, why did the police even come on your property, let alone come into your house? Seems to me from what I read, they may have stepped over their bounds. Secondly, I would be very suspect that under these same conditions, why they felt the need to not only disarm you but to take your sidearm.

I know I am missing a lot in this, so I welcome corrections where needed. All I see here is you protecting your property from someone who invaded it.

Mr. Y

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA
imported post

The driver can load it after the cop departs.
That's why I keep a 'throw down' to give to an overachieving ticket writer. :p

Yeah... I know, you guys hate that. :lol:

&

For the love of Christ, why the huge philosophical tirade?

LEO put up a good, topical and descriptive post. All the nit picking wasfrankly unwarranted. The OP got some good requested information-from LEO229's perspective.

Sheriff

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Sheriff wrote:
you have to grab the trunk of the offender's car and make sure it's properly closed so Bozo The Clown can't jump out and shoot you with awater gun,
I was taught that that was to leave a handprint affirmatively establishing the officer's presence at that car.
Depends on the academy and instructor. My basic training class taught us to make sure the trunk was latched properly so a person(s) can't be hidden in the trunk, raise the trunk lid,and ambush you.

Tusker

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
INAL, but let me guess and ask.

If there was no reported violence or such, why did the police even come on your property, let alone come into your house? Seems to me from what I read, they may have stepped over their bounds. Secondly, I would be very suspect that under these same conditions, why they felt the need to not only disarm you but to take your sidearm.

I know I am missing a lot in this, so I welcome corrections where needed. All I see here is you protecting your property from someone who invaded it.

Well they were called by my daughter, it was her house. That gave them a right to entry. The rest, Yes, they were WAY out of bounds, and quite frankly they are KNOWN far and wide for going so, and have a long record of doing so. I kept my cool and avoided making it worse. At 63 I really don't need that kind of problem.

Sheriff

imported post

Tusker wrote:
......they were WAY out of bounds, and quite frankly they are KNOWN far and wide for going so, and have a long record of doing so.
And this is and will continue to be because of two main reasons:

1- Most people don't have the backbone to hold them accountable for their wrongful actions.

2- Most people don't have the money to sue them for their wrongful actions.

deircrfan

imported post

This has beena very entertaining post. I was a bit sorry to see the sparksdie down.

Citizen, why all venom directed at LEO229? I believeLEO229 answered the question posed in theoriginal post.

LEO229, thanks for keeping the streets safe. IfI am ever pulled over, I hope it is you.You seem to be very reasonable.

For those that said, remember this,remember that, I have to pose this question. You gave some isolated incidents where something went bad. It's true, thingsdid go bad. They should never have happened. Do you think those are the exceptions or the rule? IMHO, if it were therule, it would be plastered on the front page of every newspaper and on every television station. But,I do not think it is the rule. I believe these are the exceptions.

IMHO, the moral of the story is, do not break the law and you will never be faced with the decision to say or not say you are armed. Since I have had myCHP, I have only been pulled over one time (2006). I was not armed, butif I was, I would have informed the deputy (Spotsylvania County). I was speeding (52 in a 35), but it was the first time I had driven on the roadduring the day. I did not see theposted speed limit sign because it was partially obstructed by trees (a few days later [when I went to take a picture], the trees had been trimmed). The time before that was in the late '90s on the GW Parkway by USPP. Talk about a jerk.

LEO 229

imported post

deircrfan wrote:
This has beena very entertaining post. I was a bit sorry to see the sparksdie down.

Citizen, why all venom directed at LEO229? I believeLEO229 answered the question posed in theoriginal post.

LEO229, thanks for keeping the streets safe. IfI am ever pulled over, I hope it is you.You seem to be very reasonable.

For those that said, remember this,remember that, I have to pose this question. You gave some isolated incidents where something went bad. It's true, thingsdid go bad. They should never have happened. Do you think those are the exceptions or the rule? IMHO, if it were therule, it would be plastered on the front page of every newspaper and on every television station. But,I do not think it is the rule. I believe these are the exceptions.

IMHO, the moral of the story is, do not break the law and you will never be faced with the decision to say or not say you are armed. Since I have had myCHP, I have only been pulled over one time (2006). I was not armed, butif I was, I would have informed the deputy (Spotsylvania County). I was speeding (52 in a 35), but it was the first time I had driven on the roadduring the day. I did not see theposted speed limit sign because it was partially obstructed by trees (a few days later [when I went to take a picture], the trees had been trimmed). The time before that was in the late '90s on the GW Parkway by USPP. Talk about a jerk.
Wanted to says thanks.. and you're welcome. ;)

You are correct. The problems people encounter are the exception and not the rule.

I like your advice too... do not break traffic laws and you will not be stopped in the first place. :lol:

If I stopped you, you would be treated fair and with respect. I would put you at ease and even joke with you a little. The ticket you received would be fair and proper. Chances are good that you would be so happy with it that you would want to shake my hand to seal the deal. :cool:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

deircrfan wrote:
SNIP Citizen, why all venom directed at LEO229? I believeLEO229 answered the question posed in theoriginal post.
Uh, huh. Suuuuuuuure.

Please go back and re-read.

Regarding your question, LEO229 is Ambassador Plenipotentiary from the Obfuscation Confederation, a small system on the outer rim made up of the planets, Evasion, Straw Man, Twist, Alter, Omit,Weasel, and Bitter Departure.

Its a strange system. The orbits of the planets are very difficult to follow. They cross, bob, and weave so much it took astronomersa good bitof careful observation to figure out what was going on.

The latter planet was the toughest. It seems to leave the system periodically; but always returns.

Only the best astronomers with the best telescopes can penetrate the confusion.