• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Goings on in Tacoma

Preston1911

imported post

I am curious if a little fact finding study would show a correlation of the most dangerous cities with their hand gun control laws.

Preston1911

imported post

Perhaps the stats may show that the most liberal gun control states (least gun restricted laws) might have lower crime stats..

gregma

imported post

BluesBear wrote:
WOW!

Not only is Tacoma #33 but;
  • Kent is 60
  • Everett is 66
  • Seattle is 113
  • Spokane is 134
  • Federal Way is 140
Those are just more reasons to open carry.

Open Carry is NOT a CRIME!

It is CRIME PREVENTION!
I just don't understand the inclusion of "Car theft" in the stats. Since when does a car theft make a city dangerous? Car Jacking I can see, but stealing a car in the middle of the night from off the side of the street is not a violent crime. Maybe they should also include shoplifting? I'd like to see the stats for violent crime

compmanio365

imported post

gregma wrote:
BluesBear wrote:
WOW!

• Kent is 60
  • Everett is 66
  • Seattle is 113
  • Spokane is 134
  • Federal Way is 140

It is CRIME PREVENTION!
I just don't understand the inclusion of "Car theft" in the stats. Since when does a car theft make a city dangerous? Car Jacking I can see, but stealing a car in the middle of the night from off the side of the street is not a violent crime. Maybe they should also include shoplifting? I'd like to see the stats for violent crime
I still don't want to live in a city where car theft is high. I think it should be a much more serious crime than it is made out to be now. You really get screwed if your car gets stolen.

BluesBear

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
I still don't want to live in a city where car theft is high. I think it should be a much more serious crime than it is made out to be now. You really get screwed if your car gets stolen.

All of my current problems (including my health)can be traced back to my car being stolen.

As those great poets Greenbaum, Whipple & Martin once wtote:

Cause and effects, chain of events.

All of the chaos makes perfect sense.

When you're spinning 'round, things come undone,

Welcome to Earth, third rock from the Sun.

gregma

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
gregma wrote:
I completely agree that car theft is a bad and very serious thing. I just question the reason for including it in this case.

Could it be so those who are against gun control can't say "See, it's MUCH more dangerous to live somewhere there is rampant gun control". If you removed it, would then the most dangerous cities be those with the highest amount of gun control?

So, I'm not questioning the seriousness of it, just the motives in including it in this stat.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

.45 1911 wrote:
I am curious if a little fact finding study would show a correlation of the most dangerous cities with their hand gun control laws.

I need some of that information and am hampered by time in locating it. If anyone has some handy, I would love to see it. I am in an argument on a local liberal blog about gun control, crime rates and "public health" at this point they are down to arguing that states with more guns lead to more deaths of kids with guns, and despite NYC seizing registered long arms, that "registration does not lead to confiscation."

Urgh.

Why amI having this discussion? Dunno, hang out on a local community forum in a largely liberal town, I tend to defend certain things...

metricinch

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
gregma wrote:
BluesBear wrote:
WOW!

• Kent is 60
  • Everett is 66
  • Seattle is 113
  • Spokane is 134
  • Federal Way is 140

It is CRIME PREVENTION!

I have two trucks. In the last year they have been stolen a total of three times...in the last year! i can't even tell you how many times they have been broken into...

Mainsail

imported post

28 Nov 2145: Pearl St., subject is reported to desire to commit suicide by cop after a dispute with his girlfriend, beeper is on.

Subject is hit, send medical aid. Medical aid priority, subject has been shot. Cancel the beeper, take it to TAC 1.

I'm working from memory here, this all went down pretty fast after the initial response. It was very nerve wracking to listen to, especially with the background screaming.

EDIT: There was a call for a chaplin, but I'm not sure if it was for this call or another.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Mainsail---

I was gonna hop on here and see if you knew what was going on, as about 10 TPD units just went screaming past my house at about 2145-47, but by the time I had a chance to get on here, you had already posted! Thanks.

Mainsail

imported post

It started out as another mundane domestic dispute, and unfolded rapidly. By the time I picked up the keyboard and started typing, it was happening too fast to keep up.

just_a_car

imported post

The thing I love about this thread is that it keeps us tethered to reality. If we read the day to day goings-on of just one local city and see what happens, then we can't mindlessly go about thinking we live in a paradise where the need for self-defense and the RKBA are a grim reality.

Mainsail

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
28 Nov 2145: Pearl St., subject is reported to desire to commit suicide by cop after a dispute with his girlfriend, beeper is on.

Subject is hit, send medical aid. Medical aid priority, subject has been shot. Cancel the beeper, take it to TAC 1.

I'm working from memory here, this all went down pretty fast after the initial response. It was very nerve wracking to listen to, especially with the background screaming.

EDIT: There was a call for a chaplin, but I'm not sure if it was for this call or another.

Here's the report from the Trib.
I feel bad for the cop; it's a crappy situation to be put in. The paper doesn’t report it, but he called out on the radio for a negotiator but the subject chose to negotiate with his gun instead.

Man points gun at officer, is shot, police say

STACEY MULICK; The News Tribune
Published: November 29th, 2007 08:02 AM

A man was critically injured Wednesday night when he pointed a handgun at a Tacoma police officer and was shot, Tacoma police reported.
The man was taken to Madigan Army Medical Center for treatment of life-threatening injuries, Tacoma police spokesman Mark Fulghum said. The man had surgery overnight and was expected to survive his injuries, Fulghum said Thursday morning.
No officers were injured.
Officers were called to an apartment in the 900 block of North Pearl Street just before 9:30 p.m. Wednesday for some sort of disturbance, Fulghum said.
Witnesses told two officers where the suspect was living, an apartment near where the incident took place. The officers went to the suspect’s apartment, looked through an outside window and saw the suspect holding a handgun inside, Fulghum said.
The partners backed away from the window and called for backup. One officer backed around a corner but had the suspect’s apartment in view. The second officer, a 40-year-old with nearly 14 years on the force, went down the starts and took cover behind a tree, Fulghum said.
“He had a good view of the front of the apartment and had good view of his partner,” he said.
Moments later, the man came out of the home and pointed the gun at the officer behind the corner, Fulghum said.
“They were backed out and waiting for assistance when he popped out of there,” he said.
The 40-year-old officer behind the tree fired two to three shots at the man, injuring him, Fulghum said. No one else was in the apartment at the time and no one else was involved in the shooting.
Paramedics took the man to Madigan for treatment.
The officers were interviewed by detectives. Investigators also talked to neighbors. Pierce County prosecutors responded to the scene, which is standard procedure when there is an officer-involved shooting.
Fulghum said after a preliminary investigation, it appeared the officer who fired his gun acted within department guidelines. Criminal and internal investigations into the shooting were continuing.
The officers’ names have not yet been released.

Mainsail

imported post

Wow, I just got home!

30 Nov 1712: Armed robbery of a citizen, a pair of scissors were used, the mugger got $15. 3315 South Pine.

Someone came to the business apparently looking for work, stuck scissors into the chest of someone inside.

Mainsail

imported post

Walked back into the room,

1750: Robbery of a Key Bank, beeper is on and the tower is hot. I didn’t hear where. Black female with a note.

Rainier Pacific 1211 South Pearl. This may be a different robbery or the same, i'm only half listening.

EDIT: OK, there were two bank robberies, one was a Key Bank, the other was Rainier Pacific.