• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guy at wrong house get's shot.

MetalChris

imported post

I would verbally warn an individual who was attempting to break in, but as soon as he breaches my home, all bets are off. I've got a wife, little boy, and little girl to take care of, I'm not f*cking around with any of the Hollywood crap.

40s-and-wfan

imported post

I've gotta say I more than likely wouldn't go to the door in the broad daylight if someone was trying to force their way into my house and try to chat with them just to let them know they were at the wrong house. Yelling it a time or two from the top of the stairs might do some good but if it doesn't and the subject still insists on getting into my home, I'll empty the magazine without saying another word. If alone then I would try to dial 911 during the whole foray and let them know what's going on but sure as hell, they won't be there in time to stop the idiot!

When I was married I had a guy come to the door of the apt. I was living in. I told my wife to stay in the bedroom with my pistol and I went to the door with my shotgun. I told the nice man knocking at my door at 0130 in the AM that he had no business here and needed to leave right away. He insisted on coming in and I told him it more than likely wasn't a good idea since I was armed and he had no reason to be there! I'm here to tell ya', the sound of a Mossberg slide being worked to chamber a shotshell is a very reassuring sound! he didn't like it as much as I did. Suffice it to say, he was arrested and I was able to sleep that night! Had he broke my door down, I'd have shot him.

I guess that kinda' condradicts what I said in the first paragraph, I did what I said I wouldn't do but I learned my lesson. The more distance you have between you and the potential threat, the better off you are! I was in fear for the life of my wife and son. Now the ex-wife can fend for herself but I have two beautiful boys to worry about and I'll defend them to the death!

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dustin wrote:
but after looking thru the windowand seeing a youngish, drunk, white kid trying to break in, I might would have tried something else before I decided to KILL HIM.

While I may not actually want to know the answer, why does it matter what color the guy is in your example?

It is fine to be ...um... "polite" until you see the elephant. Then it is time to get seriously social.

Maybe you should go to the door and tap him on the brain bucket with a bat, perhaps you yell. But in the end, when the glass breaks you have only one decision to make and that is "Will I be a victim tonight".

After the incident you will find out a lot about the person who died that you might not have known before you fired. Ask your family who they would rather be reading about.

forever_frost

imported post

I'm sorry to say this, but if I'm sitting there and the bad guy is breaking into my house by busting out my back door, I'm going to go 2 center mass and 1 in the head as fast as that cylinder can spin. I say spin because the weapon in my desk is a Dan Wesson .357 loaded with silver tipped hollow points. You know...in case he's a werewolf.

Seriously though, if someone threatens my home, I'm not going to give my position away by screaming. I'll call the police, say "Someone is breaking into my home, send police, I fear for my family" and lay the phone down and deal with the intruder in whatever manner I need to.

40s-and-wfan

imported post

forever_frost wrote:
Seriously though, if someone threatens my home, I'm not going to give my position away by screaming. I'll call the police, say "Someone is breaking into my home, send police, I fear for my family" and lay the phone down and deal with the intruder in whatever manner I need to.
Great idea! I actually like the idea of keeping an open line like the caller in this scenario did and like Mr. frost mentioned here, that way at least there's a recording of the situation and the events that took place! Kind of a 'CYA' situation!

protector84

imported post

While every situation is different, one thing I would likely not do is call 911 right away. As much as the authorities recommend calling 911 right away it is not always the wisest thing to do. The main reason is that I cannot defend myself from an attacker while trying to hold a phone and have a conversation with someone else all at the same time. Second, these calls are recorded and are public records and while the recording may help you in court, it could hurt you. If someone is outside of my house and I have reason to believe that they are trying to break in, I will issue them verbal commands to retreat while I am grabbing as many guns as I can get my hands on and piling them up in front of me, removing their safeties, and chambering any necessary rounds. I may yell, "The police are on the way. I have a gun and you better get out of here now." Even if they had already broken the window or were proceeding to pick the lock on the door or otherwise are in the process of entering, I still would not shoot unless I could actually see that they had a deadly weapon.

Laws vary by state to state but in many states you cannot shoot them until they are actually already inside of your house. If you shoot them before they are even inside, the worst charge they would be facing had they lived would be attempted burglary and the only other charge would be vandalism. You cannot shoot someone for vandalising your property. Before shooting you want to make sure that either they are already inside your house OR they are outside of your house but threatening you with a deadly weapon. Shooting someone who is in your front yard could throw you in some serious legal problems. Obviously once they were inside I would shoot them with the most effective gun I have or the first one I could get my hands on.

I would not dial 911 until I knew I was safe to report the threat either after they have been shot or they have stopped trying to break in. You want to call 911 from a safe location and it is pretty difficult to defend yourself and talk on the phone at the same time. Issuing verbal commands and racking the slide of a shotgun so they can hear it before they have broken in are good ways to prevent the problem from continuing. You are better off running off the intruder than having to shoot him because once he is inside you could have even more variables to work with. You better hope that you shoot him before he shoots you and additionally you better hope that he didn't bring his five friends. It is scary how these days entire gangs will break into someone's home instead of just one or two people. A defensive rifle may be worth considering in such situations.

Dustin

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Dustin wrote:
but after looking thru the windowand seeing a youngish, drunk, white kid trying to break in, I might would have tried something else before I decided to KILL HIM.

While I may not actually want to know the answer, why does it matter what color the guy is in your example?

It is fine to be ...um... "polite" until you see the elephant. Then it is time to get seriously social.

Maybe you should go to the door and tap him on the brain bucket with a bat, perhaps you yell. But in the end, when the glass breaks you have only one decision to make and that is "Will I be a victim tonight".

After the incident you will find out a lot about the person who died that you might not have known before you fired. Ask your family who they would rather be reading about.

Skin color does make a difference, beingStatistically our jails are filled with a higher percentage of black males, than white males, and depending on where you live.I was really just describing/visualizing as I wrote my sentence.

Like I said, if they were in fear, which it seems they were, then of course, protect yourself.

I just feel something not right about it. Then again, I know the kid, AFTER the FACT. At the time, these folks had NO CLUE who the hell he was.

Man - Breaking in back door - Not Stopping after hearing girl scream and dogs = SHOOT to Kill !

SANDCREEK

imported post

Thiswas a needless accident caused by the deceased achieving a .26blood/alcohol level that could have manifested itself in the form of a DUI incident involvingdriving on the wrong side of the road head-on into an 18-wheeler or a mini-van full of kids.

Had that been the cause of death,this incident would be getting no attention. The unfortunate young man killed himself by his own irresponsible conduct. The homeowner involved will carry his pain for the rest of his life.

That having been said - I would prefer to fire a warning shot into my carpet - before shooting a person- but no one has a right to second guess the shooter. He did not have the luxury of all the information available after the fact. Armed home invasions by multiple attackers are relatively frequent in Colorado Springs, and this particular neighborhood is a heavy crime area.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

To chase away a would be burgler that can then come back on another night, is not
a good idea. What if he returns on a night you had surgury, and are doped up.

My friend tried the 'scare him off', and 3 hours later after the police left,
guess what happened then.....

If your key does't work on the fron door, back door, garage door, and strange car parked in driveway...
Wouldn't you at least call police that there are robbers in the house and they have
changed your locks?

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Y'all better figure somethin' out here before you decide to arm yourselves.

Are you capable of killing?

If somebody's tryin' to break in... unless you have security cameras you dunno if it's one or a gang. You won't know if they're armed or not... their ultimate intent, motive, mental state, sobriety... hopped up on crack, meth or even if they understand/speak English. While you're attempting this 'conversation'... they might just put some lead in your general direction.

Y'all are 'assuming' some measure of rational normalcy. I don't think most of ya have ever goneone on onewith a really violent person or persons. One of the problems in modern society is that 'we'... (most of us anyway)... are too civilized. Use of deadly force is just that. It's violent,brutal... and often deadly final.There is no alternative but to win. There is no fairness involved. You have to get it in your head that "I'm gonna haft'akill this sumbitch" 'n do it. 'Terminate with extreme prejudice' as it was once written.

When you're forced to make this decision... it's gonna come at you blindside. You may be alone or have the family screamin' 'n cryin'... dogs goin' nuts 'n God knows what else distractions. Rest assured... your pucker factor will also kick in. It may be a matter of minutes or seconds to make that decision. Can you... would you and will you KILL?

Dustin

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Y'all better figure somethin' out here before you decide to arm yourselves.

Are you capable of killing?

If somebody's tryin' to break in... unless you have security cameras you dunno if it's one or a gang. You won't know if they're armed or not... their ultimate intent, motive, mental state, sobriety... hopped up on crack, meth or even if they understand/speak English. While you're attempting this 'conversation'... they might just put some lead in your general direction.

Y'all are 'assuming' some measure of rational normalcy. I don't think most of ya have ever goneone on onewith a really violent person or persons. One of the problems in modern society is that 'we'... (most of us anyway)... are too civilized. Use of deadly force is just that. It's violent,brutal... and often deadly final.There is no alternative but to win. There is no fairness involved. You have to get it in your head that "I'm gonna haft'akill this sumbitch" 'n do it. 'Terminate with extreme prejudice' as it was once written.

When you're forced to make this decision... it's gonna come at you blindside. You may be alone or have the family screamin' 'n cryin'... dogs goin' nuts 'n God knows what else distractions. Rest assured... your pucker factor will also kick in. It may be a matter of minutes or seconds to make that decision. Can you... would you and will you KILL?

How much coffee did you drink this morning ? :lol:

Your a little off topic of what my question was. All of the above sounds all gravy but not really what I was asking.

In fact most posters in this topic have avoided the OP question and wen't straight to,

KILL EM, no time to wait, Kill them, You don't know anything, KILL THEM !

The Shooter was literaly ARMS distance away from the BG when he fired. Meaning he walked towards the door, looked at him, then fired thru the same (ONE) pane of glass that the BG broke out.

Somethings just don't add up ....

Believe me, I'm well aware of what happens when you end another man's life.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Well... the actual dynamic of the situation was the guy prob'ly thought he had a maniac... 'n his anxiety's up with the womans hysterics... dog goin' off... 'n I'm quite certain the intruder was not bein' quiet about it... Who knows what all was comin' outta his drunk mouth by that time. "BLAM"

I'm equally certain should this happen to you.... You'll politely invite them in for tea 'n crumpets 'n discuss their general disenfranchisement with society. Agree their plight is ultimately the fault of George W. Bush... sing a few rounds of Cumbaya 'n have a good ol' time reading Frost by the fireside.

compmanio365

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Well... the actual dynamic of the situation was the guy prob'ly thought he had a maniac... 'n his anxiety's up with the womans hysterics... dog goin' off... 'n I'm quite certain the intruder was not bein' quiet about it... Who knows what all was comin' outta his drunk mouth by that time. "BLAM"

I'm equally certain should this happen to you.... You'll politely invite them in for tea 'n crumpets 'n discuss their general disenfranchisement with society. Agree their plight is ultimately the fault of George W. Bush... sing a few rounds of Cumbaya 'n have a good ol' time reading Frost by the fireside.

:lol::lol::lol: Seriously, that was pretty good.

Dustin, I don't see where your issue is here.......the guy was breaking into the shooter's house, if he was arms length from the person holding a gun at his faceand there was a woman screaming inside and he STILL didn't back down and think maybe this wasn't his house, then I'm sorry, stupid is as stupid does. I'd do the same in the shooter's place.

If you want to wait and let the guy actually get inside where he can cause harm to your family, well, then that's your prerogative. I choose to defend my "castle" with absolute prejudice. White guy, black guy, doesn't matter. All I care about is that they are an intruder attempting to get through my defenses and get to my family and I. I'm not going to wait and try to talk to this guy as he's breaking into my home.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
To chase away a would be burgler that can then come back on another night, is not
a good idea. What if he returns on a night you had surgury, and are doped up.

SNIP...

Actually there are two such recent stories already on the forum. In one case an elderly woman was raped and the guy left. By the time the guy came back a few nights later, one of her neighbors had provided her a shotgun and taught her how to use it. Scratch one rapist.

In the other three bad guys came to a persons house and she scared them off. After a while later they returned. At least one of them got shot.

buster81

imported post

Dustin wrote:
Your a little off topic of what my question was. All of the above sounds all gravy but not really what I was asking.

In fact most posters in this topic have avoided the OP question...

Your OP question was:

"I never heard the Male ordering the guy to leave, or anything else.

Somehow, I don't believe I would would sit in a chair in the living room, while someone is breaking in, without saying a word. Then as soon as they got in, BAM I shoot them ?

I think yelling/commanding the BG to retreat or die, would at LEAST be sufficient.

Your Say ?"

According to the article posted:

"Two dogs inside barked persistently and the couple shouted for Kennedy to leave in an ordeal lasting more than four minutes, all of which contributed to Parsons' sense of mounting danger, prosecutors said."

I don't see how your statement"in a chair in the living room, while someone is breaking in, without saying a word. Then as soon as they got in, BAM I shoot them" is in anyway accurate. It seems like theydid ask the drunken fellow to leave, however, he decided to continue on.

So to answer your question, I say I would have acted in much the same way.

You also say that "The Shooter was literaly ARMS distance away from the BG when he fired". How do you know that?

Dustin

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:

Your ridiculous, You have no idea what I've done, nor what I've experienced. From the looks of it, I'd doubt you've EVER been in a shoot or don't shoot situation. You wouldn't dare be that cocky.I have, several dozen times. I've seen unfortunate incidents (Not Accidents) like this happen, and I've seen and been apart of successful kick door and lethal take downs as well. So please don't undermine what you think I MIGHT do if my family is threatened. I'm simply making this out to be a TDG to discuss. This is a What If game. It goes on forever there is no end result, just discussion, so there's no need to get all smartassery with language just b/c I don't like are am willing to accept your point. ;)

I'm sure you meant it in good humor, but I just don't get it.

In Louisiana, If the BG isn't in your house, and you shoot him,your screwed.

I made the topic to see what others would do in this situation.

Why does every topic always end up with arguments, smartass posts, degrading talk. It's really getting old.

Thenthey come back with lighten up, it was just a joke.

Now days, EVERYTHING is just a joke. Maybe that's the problem.

Dustin

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Dustin, I don't see where your issue is here.......the guy was breaking into the shooter's house, if he was arms length from the person holding a gun at his faceand there was a woman screaming inside and he STILL didn't back down and think maybe this wasn't his house, then I'm sorry, stupid is as stupid does. I'd do the same in the shooter's place.

If you want to wait and let the guy actually get inside where he can cause harm to your family, well, then that's your prerogative. I choose to defend my "castle" with absolute prejudice. White guy, black guy, doesn't matter. All I care about is that they are an intruder attempting to get through my defenses and get to my family and I. I'm not going to wait and try to talk to this guy as he's breaking into my home.

No I get it, I'm just trying to proivde alternatives. Testing to see if this is really what people would have done also.

In LA, I'm pretty sure the BG would have to be INSIDE your house. Not on the outside breaking in.

:)

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Well slick... I actually have been in gunfights ('Nam and as a member of the cop shop)... and had an attempted break-in with the 911 phone in one hand 'n Mr. 1911 in the other. Cops got there before the perp got in... or I would have shot them. 'N yeah... I AM a smartass... 'n I think you're a PC wuss... so THERE!

Dustin

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Well slick... I actually have been in gunfights ('Nam and as a member of the cop shop)... and had an attempted break-in with the 911 phone in one hand 'n Mr. 1911 in the other. Cops got there before the perp got in... or I would have shot them. 'N yeah... I AM a smartass... 'n I think you're a PC wuss... so THERE!

Well thanks for giving us an example of your outstanding maturity.

No need to be objective, just be a smartass, that'll work.

pitiful

Sonora Rebel

imported post

'Works for me... Otherwise I'd prob'ly beendead meat'long time ago.

Methinks thou artmore thoughtful than effective. (and somewhat anal...)