• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 937 passes the general assembly. Goes to governor

XD40sc

Why should the CC crowd come to a OC site to intimidate and push OCers to support their one sided legislation?

Which also brings up the question, where do your get the idea that is an OC only board? Look at the ads at the top of the page, 3 of the sponsors specialize in selling CC holsters. Kinda indicated that the forum owners do not consider this an OC only board, nor do the companies that are helping defray the costs of this forum to allow you to express your disdain for those that see things differently than you do.

Clearly the people that run this board cater to gun owners, regardless of how they choose to carry, you seem to be one of the few that have an issue with what you call elitist gun owners.

OBTW, get some meaningful OC bills up for consideration, and I will also contact the representatives in the house and senate to encourage them to pass the bill.

Last edited:

carolina guy

Which also brings up the question, where do your get the idea that is an OC only board? Look at the ads at the top of the page, 3 of the sponsors specialize in selling CC holsters. Kinda indicated that the forum owners do not consider this an OC only board, nor do the companies that are helping defray the costs of this forum to allow you to express your disdain for those that see things differently than you do.

Clearly the people that run this board cater to gun owners, regardless of how they choose to carry, you seem to be one of the few that have an issue with what you call elitist gun owners.

OBTW, get some meaningful OC bills up for consideration, and I will also contact the representatives in the house and senate to encourage them to pass the bill.

While this is not an OC "only" site...by it's very name, it would be "mostly about" OC.

For full disclosure, I CC and OC depending on the situation and location we are going. Most of the time that I CC I am either working, or out with the family, and even then, it just depends on where we are at the time. Places that are openly anti-self defense, we tend to avoid entirely. About the only "elitist" element that I have used with the CHP is not having to find the time to be in Concord at the SO during business hours to apply for a PPP. Otherwise, I could honestly care less WHO carries and WHEN they carry. IMO, anyone free upon the streets should NOT be restricted in the manner of self defense they select.

Jared

Will cite when I get home. On my phone.

Looks like they passed:

Restaurant carry
Places where admission is charged
Limited campus carry
State parking lots
Clarified recreational facilities

They kept the pp in place but added some rules for sheriff departments. They can't limit the number of permits anymore or charge additional fees.

Is the purchase permit still may-issue?

carolina guy

Is the purchase permit still may-issue?

Shall...

Old Law:
§ 14‑404. Issuance or refusal of permit; appeal from refusal; grounds for refusal; sheriff's fee.
(a) Upon application, the sheriff shall issue the license or permit to a resident of that county, unless the purpose of the permit is for collecting, in which case a sheriff can issue a permit to a nonresident, when the sheriff has done all of the following:

Waiting for the Governor's signature:

SECTION 17.2.(a) G.S. 14-404 reads as rewritten:
"§ 14-404. Issuance or refusal of permit; appeal from refusal; grounds for refusal; sheriff's fee.
(a) Upon application, the sheriff shall issue the permit to a resident of that county, unless the purpose of the permit is for collecting, in which case a sheriff can issue a permit to a nonresident, when the sheriff has done all of the following:

Last edited:

XD40sc

While this is not an OC "only" site...by it's very name, it would be "mostly about" OC.

For full disclosure, I CC and OC depending on the situation and location we are going. Most of the time that I CC I am either working, or out with the family, and even then, it just depends on where we are at the time. Places that are openly anti-self defense, we tend to avoid entirely. About the only "elitist" element that I have used with the CHP is not having to find the time to be in Concord at the SO during business hours to apply for a PPP. Otherwise, I could honestly care less WHO carries and WHEN they carry. IMO, anyone free upon the streets should NOT be restricted in the manner of self defense they select.

I understand the name, but define "mostly". There are forums for every major make of gun, yet all makes are discussed, handgun forums exist yet long gun discussions can be found.

But some, for lack of a better term, rabid OC's label you (and me) an elitist, and every other person with a CHP in their wallet an elitist, because we have caved to the man and got our permission slip from the government. I don't give a damn what they think, the sensible solution is to carry as often as legally possible, and a CHP fits that decision, plus I can thumb my nose at the sheriff when buying a gun.

I carry for defense, and based on where I live, a city overrun with rabid liberals, the easiest is to CC. I'm not out to 'make a statement' just to not have my last thoughts being "gee I wish I had my gun with me". If I lived in a more rural setting OC would be my preferred because it is simply easier.

carolina guy

I understand the name, but define "mostly". There are forums for every major make of gun, yet all makes are discussed, handgun forums exist yet long gun discussions can be found.

But some, for lack of a better term, rabid OC's label you (and me) an elitist, and every other person with a CHP in their wallet an elitist, because we have caved to the man and got our permission slip from the government. I don't give a damn what they think, the sensible solution is to carry as often as legally possible, and a CHP fits that decision, plus I can thumb my nose at the sheriff when buying a gun.

I carry for defense, and based on where I live, a city overrun with rabid liberals, the easiest is to CC. I'm not out to 'make a statement' just to not have my last thoughts being "gee I wish I had my gun with me". If I lived in a more rural setting OC would be my preferred because it is simply easier.

I think the "mostly" is covered by the general lack of interest in discussing CC on a regular basis??

rotorhead

I love the fact that the site is generally themed around OC, but a simple look at some of the main forums (General Discussion, Social Lounge, etc) makes it clear that other topics are more than welcome.

WalkingWolf

I love the fact that the site is generally themed around OC, but a simple look at some of the main forums (General Discussion, Social Lounge, etc) makes it clear that other topics are more than welcome.

As Grapeshot has stated many times this is not a anything goes forum. You should replace welcome with tolerated to an extent. There are members who come here to bash OC, and that is their sole purpose, that and pushing CC. That IMO was not the intent of this site, those members should carry their sorry arse to a CC centric site. I do not bash CC, I bash the hateful, and irresponsible use of this forum to push a agenda on others that this site was not intended for.

rotorhead

As Grapeshot has stated many times this is not a anything goes forum. You should replace welcome with tolerated to an extent. There are members who come here to bash OC, and that is their sole purpose, that and pushing CC. That IMO was not the intent of this site, those members should carry their sorry arse to a CC centric site. I do not bash CC, I bash the hateful, and irresponsible use of this forum to push a agenda on others that this site was not intended for.

Meh, I dunno about "tolerated" seeing as they owners set up those areas to let people discuss other things. But I agree that there shouldn't be bashing going on, especially toward OC on this site. By it's name alone it would imply that the main theme is for OC, not just gun ownership in general.

That said, the site wouldn't attract more than a few new threads a month if things were limited strictly to OC matters. Sad but true.

But yeah, there shouldn't be bashing against OC here.

eNomineZerum

Greenville, North Carolina, United States

I fully agree here. I take that stance that sometimes a certain amount of decorum is needed. I will carry my larger sidearm OC it would be rather foolish of me to walk into my place of work on my day off OCing. It would also be rather foolish of me to OC around certain places and people in my area. You can call this caving or you can call it avoiding unnecessary stress. I prefer the Bruce Lee statement "Be water my friend." Having a CC may have some drawbacks; however, not permit wait, versatility, and many other factors make it a welcomed addition to my personal arsenal. Also, there are quite a few people I know that OC and CC. It would be rather annoying to constantly be oogled because I carry two guns on my waist.

Back to the topic at hand. I feel that this bill is a move in the right direction as more allowances are always more allowances. Once something is granted its easier to try and keep it than remove it; ie. Obamacare.

XD40sc

But you call people with carry permits elitists. How does that wash?

a few examples:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?114999-HB-937-hold-your-nose&p=1965177&viewfull=1#post1965177
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?116092-Wisconsin-Conceal-To-Carry-Law-a-Model-For-North-Carolina-YES!&p=1965162&viewfull=1#post1965162
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?114999-HB-937-hold-your-nose&p=1950441&viewfull=1#post1950441

Last edited:

XD40sc

Your reading comprehension sucks or you are just lying. I called no one a elitist. I refereed to the card, seems you have a guilty conscience.

Really, that's your dodge :rolleyes:

So you question my reading comprehension, call me a liar, even though I linked to the very words that betray you and accuse me of having a guilty conscience. swing and a miss, swing and a miss, swing and a miss. Hope you didn't throw your back out.

Only one person without a CHP agrees with you, as if it mattered. That person does not have a CHP, probably for the same reason he can't get a PPP. Something about his record. I really don't care what a bunch of elitist CHPers want especially when the PPP does not concern them. But it does seem since you are going on about 18 year old you are OK with denying them the right to self defense in a restaurant that you reserved for yourself. You keep digging yourself deeper.

PV really should post for himself, because his minions don't seem to be anymore capable than he is...
Gee that makes your statement less than truthful :lol: now what is that called?

WalkingWolf

Really, that's your dodge :rolleyes:

So you question my reading comprehension, call me a liar, even though I linked to the very words that betray you and accuse me of having a guilty conscience. swing and a miss, swing and a miss, swing and a miss. Hope you didn't throw your back out.

Gee that makes your statement less than truthful :lol: now what is that called?

Did I call anyone directly elitist? A bunch is not all, and a elitist card is not calling anyone directly a elitist. You sir are a liar and a troll.

XD40sc

Did I call anyone directly elitist? A bunch is not all, and a elitist card is not calling anyone directly a elitist. You sir are a liar and a troll.

Yes, that is exactly what I said you do, call everyone with a carry permit an elitist. Reading comprehension much?

Jared

If having a CHP (or out of state equivalent) is elitist, would having a LEOSA qualification card be on the same tier or even more so?

carolina guy

If having a CHP (or out of state equivalent) is elitist, would having a LEOSA qualification card be on the same tier or even more so?

More than likely much more...since the only REAL qualification for the CHP would be non-felon status (or any of the other mickey mouse restrictions).

X-JaVeN-X

Why should the CC crowd come to a OC site to intimidate and push OCers to support their one sided legislation?

Do you want CCers to support your "one sided legislation"? You like to call CCers "elitists", but you are so in need of a mirror it's ridiculous. This forum has more than just OC information. You're choosing the wrong enemy and it's only hurting your cause...

jrj_51

Do you want CCers to support your "one sided legislation"? You like to call CCers "elitists", but coveringe so in need of a mirror it's ridiculous. This forum has more than just OC information. You're choosing the wrong enemy and it's only hurting your cause...

I do believe you are missing the point. The "elitism" stems from any requirement beyond being a human being, not the act of covering your firearm. The permit system requires the capital to pay for training, pay for the application, and pay for the fingerprints. Anyone that does not have the capital to do this, does not meet the requirements for a permit. As such, the classes of "haves" and "have nots" are created. How about the time to take the training or time spent at the sheriff's office? This creates classes of people based on the amount of spare time they have. Now, all of this would be moot if the restrictions for concealed carry with a permit were the same as the restrictions for constitutional open carry. Were that the case, we would all be denied the right to self defense equally. As the bill sits, however, people with time and money to spare will be afforded the privilege of carrying where people that have more important things to do than hang out with the sheriff or sit in class on a Saturday would be unarmed. No matter how minor or insignificant you make the requirements for anything, there will eventually be someone that will be unable to meet them, and they will be in a class seperated from those that are. That is elitism.

papa bear

Why would OCers be upset that CCers pushed through legislature to strentthen their ability to carry conceal?

Should not OCers also push through legislature to strengthen their ability to OC?

Why should one group expect the other group to fight their legal battles for them?

if you push a privilege you will lose a RIGHT