• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HERE IT IS - 1st Norfolk Incident

cato

imported post

The felony stop in danbus' case by the responding officers would be justified if the reporting person (RP) left his name and contact information and communicated information (even if discovered later to be false) of a serious criminal nature to warrant a felony style stop and detention for investigation of the alleged acts.

That being said I see nothing in the tape to justify the 1st responding officers felony style (gun drawn) response.

From an officer safety point of view, I seriously question the 1st officer's tactics. Absent an immediate threat (RP telephoned or officer observed) why did the first officer act alone, without back up? He put himself and the 2nd officer (not arrived)at risk if there was a serious threat (which there wasn't)by exposing himself unnecessarily. If something, like an ambush, was in place, and the 1st officer was "down" the 2nd officer is now approaching blind.

It would have been better tactically and constitutionally to sit back, observe, wait for back up, call for more back up if contact (even consensual) was planned or wanted by the officers.

I can understand the elevated risk/threat perceived by officers when responding to any "gun" call as the majority of such dispatched calls are in fact negative in nature. However, fake, inaccurate, and incomplete information from an RP or dispatcher must be weighed against the responding officers observations.

All police, from any state,would be served by reading the following regardinggun calls and considering the legal ramifications to acting without proper authoritywhich risks both the successful prosecution of actualcriminal acts and being on the wrong end ofviolating a constitutional right
:

http://www.courts.state.pa.us/opposting/supreme/opinions/0497pdf/k00jiz95.pdf

[align=left]The Commonwealth takes the radical position that police have a duty to stop and frisk when they receive information from any source that a suspect has a gun. Since it is not illegal to carry a...gun in Pennsylvania,
it is difficult to see where this shocking idea originates, notwithstanding the Commonwealth's fanciful and histrionic references to maniacs who may spray schoolyards with gunfire and assassins of public figures who may otherwise go undetected. Even if the Constitution...would permit such invasive police activity as the Commonwealth proposes -- which it does not -- such activity seems more likely to endanger than to protect the public. Unnecessary police intervention, by definition, produces the possibility of conflict where none need exist.[/align]

[align=left]Contrary to the Commonwealth's view, the public will receive its full measure of protection by police who act within the restraints imposed on them by...the Constitution...and this court's relevant caselaw.[/align]

http://policechiefmagazine.org/magaz...ue_ id=122005

Chief's Counsel

Chief’s Counsel: Responding to Gun Possession Reports

By John M. Collins, Esq., General Counsel, Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association, Shrewsbury, Massachusetts

Because it is legal in most states to carry a handgun..., a report that an individual possesses a handgun, without any additional information suggesting criminal activity, might not create reasonable suspicion that a crime is being or will be committed.1 Where simply carrying a handgun is not in itself illegal and does not constitute probable cause to arrest,2 it follows that carrying a handgun, in and of itself, does not furnish reasonable suspicion justifying a Terry stop. The same applies to persons in motor vehicles. An investigatory stop is only justified when the police have "a reasonable suspicion, based on specific, articulable facts and reasonable inferences there from," that the subject "had committed, was committing, or was about to commit a crime."

From The Police Chief, vol. 72, no. 12, December 2005.[/i]

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Having heard this tape, I want to add something that doesn't come through in the transcript alone: the caller and the dispatcher are both rather matter-of-fact about the whole thing. Specifically, the caller sounds curious or perplexed, perhaps a bit concerned, but there is no evidence in her tone that she is panicked, acutely fearful, or even really apprehensive. She points out that she has seen Dan in the same circumstance before. (She doesn't mention if she saw Dan AND Rev there the day before.) In any event, there was no justification for this to be presented to the police as a major emergency, and no reason for the police to come running with drawn weapons. Either there was some miscommunication or the police over reacted. My guess is the latter.

LEO 229

imported post

wsweeks2 wrote:
Take a look at this case and tell me if the LEO's acted in line with what the SCOTUS has ruled:

Florida v. J.L., 529 U.S. 266, 120 S. Ct. 1375, 146 L.Ed.2d 254 (2000).

http://policechiefmagazine.org/magazine/index.cfm?fuseaction=display&article_id=757&issue_id=122005#2

I'm thinking that Danbus did nothing more than exercise his rights while black.

Excellent article from the CPM!

An investigatory stop is only justified when the police have "a reasonable suspicion, based on specific, articulable facts and reasonable inferences there from," that the subject "had committed, was committing, or was about to commit a crime."

inference
n : the reasoning involved in making a logical judgment on the
basis of circumstantial evidence and prior conclusions
rather than on the basis of direct observation

The following is not intended to take any sides. It is to help you understand my opinion on the matter and see why I see things differently.

With the information that was provided,Dan had been seenat the location several times, had a hat boasting he had a gun,was hanging out in front of/near a bank building,worried someone enoughto call in a complaint, and armed with a gun....

Each item alone means nothing and is absolutely innocent enough. But combined can raise some suspicion. In my opinion.. from the work experiences I have viewed first hand... this can be justified.

I was not there that day. I have no idea what Dan was physically doing. I did not get to see him and monitor his activity to determine if he was harmless or suspicious. His activity was suspicious to someone prompting them to call the police. I would enjoy hearing the 911 call.

Everyone here knows the entire story and that Dan was not there to cause harm. Had I responded.... It is likely I may have needed to respond in the same manner as the cops in the video. This is going to be based on prior experiences and calls.

The same concept goes for a "Kennedy" in the parking lot of the police station. Many here say "Legal, do not stop! Allow him to go about his business" But even the Chief's of Police agree that if it is suspicious and the LEO hasreasonable inferences that it appears like a crime is about to be committed...he can stop him.

Be honest for a moment.... How many people walk around a police parking lot with two rifles, some handguns, and a vest packed with ammo. He may be within his rights but this is real suspicious and clearly out of the ordinary.Keep in mind I am not loading up this question to go after those that just OC... This guy is well beyond that.

No need to flame.. this is an opinion ....right or wrong.... I am entitled to have one.

danbus

imported post

Here is the dashcam audio transcript. Please take the time to hear/read as much as you can, I know thevolume on the dashcam is low. I tried to the best of my human ability to get the word for word down, but if you hear and inaccuracies, please let me know.

START

17:23:17

LEO 2 – Why do you have a gun?

Me – Because I can’t carry a cop.

LEO 2 – You got a permit for that?

Me – I’m open carrying.

Me - *silence*

Me – I understand that you are just doing your job…

17:23:34 – LEO 2 reaches into my pocket and take out my wallet

Me – I didn’t give you consent to search me.

LEO 2 – I’m not searching you, I’m just looking for ID.

Me – No, you went through my pocket, now I understand you just trying to find out who I am…

LEO 2 – How old are you man?

Me – Like I said, I’m not answering any questions until I have a lawyer present.

17:24:19

LEO 1 – Why is the hammer cocked back?

Me – It’s a 1911, it’s supposed to be carried like that…I thought you guys knew that.

17:24:41

Me – Am I doing anything illegal?

LEO 2 – Well you’re causing because you’re standing in front of a bank with a loaded gun, yeah, that’s not illegal, but your causing some concern with us.

Me – But if I’m not doing anything illegal, why am I in handcuffs?

LEO 2 – For our safety.

Me - …And for mine too. So am I being detained?

LEO 2 – You are.

Me – For what?

LEO 2 – Investigation.

Me – Investigating what? Usually investigations with a firearm…

LEO 2- Are you a lawyer?

Me – Huh?

LEO 2 – Are you a lawyer?

Me – You forget that I’m not answering any questions.

LEO 2 – I thought we weren’t talking

Me – I’m not answering your questions.

LEO 2 – Well there you go, so, don’t talk. You don’t ask me questions and I won’t ask you questions.

Me – Well let’s talk about general stuff like, how is your day going?

LEO 2 – Great. How about you?

Me – I was actually going to come down here a little bit earlier, but traffic was terrible. Then I was going to go to IHOP, do a little bit of shopping, catch a movie.

LEO 2 – Let me take off your hat.

Me – I cut off my hair.

LEO 2 – Yes I noticed, you look different in your picture.

Me – Yup, yup!........

LEO 1 – Are you on any kind of medication? Because you’re standing on the corner with a loaded gun.

LEO 2 – You work down here?

Me – No.

LEO 1- You’re standing down here with a hat that says “black man with a gun”.

Me – Oh, so I’m displaying my 1[suP]st[/suP] and 2[suP]nd[/suP] Amendment rights…

LEO 2 – He’s what I think: you came down here to get attention and now you’re getting attention. Every time you come down here like that, with your gun like that, you’re gonna get attention. Now IF, by chance, that shirt goes even remotely over the handle of that gun, I’m going to arrest you for concealed weapon.

Me – Yeah, that’s why I make sure my shirt doesn’t do that.

LEO 2 – And all we’re doing is our job man. Just doing our job. Just our job.

Me – Can I turn around?

LEO 2 – You can turn around if you like. Dance in the street.

Now during this time I’m asking LEO 1 questions like, what do you carry, what do you like to do when you get off work, what hobbies do you have.

17:27:40 Shauncey walks by. I give her the “wait over by the car” look.

17:28:00 Dispatch gives the date and incident of when I OC’d at a Sentara hospital in Hampton. And I reply to LEO 1 that I open carried with no problems.

Right before LEO 2 come back to undetain me, I ask LEO 1 what are they going to do after this is all over? Of course I was ignored.

17:29:52

Me – I’m going to file a complaint.

LEO 1 – You can file as many formal complaints as you want, but fact is we don’t randomly come over here and just stand on a person requiring attention.

Me – (unable to translate)

LEO 1- You should have sat in your car today.

Me – Well, you know, it was kinda hot out here today and I don’t have any A/C…

LEO 1 – I don’t care…you wanted the attention, you got it.

Me – Am I free to go?

LEO 1 – If you back out here and we get another call, we’re going to be right back out here.

Me – Am I free to go?

LEO 2 – Yeah.

Me – Have a good day!

LEO 2 – There are some places where you can’t carry a gun.

Me – I know that, have a good day!

LEO 2 – Have a good day man.

17:30:25 LEO 1 & 2 wanted to have a little post call chat

LEO 1 – I just needed him to cuss at me so I can hit him, I just wanted him to do something.

LEO 2 – ….again, even if you pull up in a traffic stop and you can’t see it, concealed.

LEO 1- Yeah, I know. Let’s say he’s sitting in the car like that and you walk up to the window and you can’t see it, concealed.

LEO 2- (unable to translate)

LEO 1 - ….when you walked away he started talking to me, asking questions…he a ******* idiot, he’s stupid, he ******* sits there and say “I just listened to the police scanner”…and that’s all it is.

LEO 1 & 2 wrap out their conversation and leave.

END

ChinChin

imported post

Simple question:

What was the Action Dan took that requied an escalation of force and the extraction of an officer firearm, holding suspect at gunpoint?

Cause I'm not seeing/reading it?

LEO 229

imported post

cato wrote:
The felony stop in danbus' case by the responding officers would be justified if the reporting person (RP) left his name and contact information and communicated information (even if discovered later to be false) of a serious criminal nature to warrant a felony style stop and detention for investigation of the alleged acts.

That being said I see nothing in the tape to justify the 1st responding officers felony style (gun drawn) response.

From an officer safety point of view, I seriously question the 1st officer's tactics. Absent an immediate threat (RP telephoned or officer observed) why did the first officer act alone, without back up? He put himself and the 2nd officer (not arrived)at risk if there was a serious threat (which there wasn't)by exposing himself unnecessarily. If something, like an ambush, was in place, and the 1st officer was "down" the 2nd officer is now approaching blind.

It would have been better tactically and constitutionally to sit back, observe, wait for back up, call for more back up if contact (even consensual) was planned or wanted by the officers.

I can understand the elevated risk/threat perceived by officers when responding to any "gun" call as the majority of such dispatched calls are in fact negative in nature. However, fake, inaccurate, and incomplete information from an RP or dispatcher must be weighed against the responding officers observations.

As a street officer... I do not ask the dispatcher.. "Did we verify the person's identity? Do we have a verified call back number?" I go to the call and see what there is to see. Often times prank calls are called in anonymously and nothing is found. I have never been sent to a call where I harassed an innocent person.

The better plan for those officers would to get there and talk about a contact plan. One could cover as the other approached to talk. Drawing a gun could only be determined based on what is seen. If the person goes for his gun.. he could quickly be taken out.

It seems that the "man with a gun call" was taken seriously and not having the knowledge of the callers tone of voice.... theofficerswentforward and quickly gained control to prevent any chance for harm to others. Dan was also released quickly.

Was it absolutely necessary? Not with Dan. But there are people who want to hurt others.

Maybe Dan was a stalker and following the lady that called.. I don't know. Anything you want to tell us Dan?

sjhipple

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

An investigatory stop is only justified when the police have "a reasonable suspicion, based on specific, articulable facts and reasonable inferences there from," that the subject "had committed, was committing, or was about to commit a crime."

inference

all this guessing is great, but what really needs to happen is danbus to file a lawsuit so the judge can decide what a "reasonable inference" is. maybeleo229 is right, maybe he's not.a judge could clear all this up very easily.

my guess is that a judge would come down on danbus's side, but he has to get a lawyer and file a lawsuit before he can find that out.

LEO 229

imported post

ChinChin wrote:
Simple question:

What was the Action Dan took that requied an escalation of force and the extraction of an officer firearm, holding suspect at gunpoint?

You will have to ask the officers that were there.

I am not saying the officersare right... I only gave my opinion that what they did was allowable and justifiable.

Would it have been better for a different approach.. Sure. But I was not there... I do not have the luxury of hearing what they did or seeing what they were able to see. I do not know the last time the bank was robbed or the last time they have a shooting in the streets.

I can only offer my opinion.

sjhipple

imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
Well at least now we know why the LEOs thought it was o.k. to point guns at Danbus:
"LEO 1 –I just needed him to cuss at me so I can hit him, I just wanted him to do something"

this vid would go a long way in making danbus's case about what the police's actual inferences were. were they trying to protect people or were they just having a littlefun with a black guy on a street corner...or were they just trying to make up laws that fit their own political viewpoints.

there's only one right answer if the police want to win this case

(i'd like to know where it sayssucker-punching someone is authorized if they say "damn" or "f----". could come in handy...or does it only work for cops - "the protectors of the innocent")

LEO 229

imported post

ama-gi wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

inference

all this guessing is great, but what really needs to happen is danbus to file a lawsuit so the judge can decide what a "reasonable inference" is. maybeleo229 is right, maybe he's not.a judge could clear all this up very easily.

my guess is that a judge would come down on danbus's side, but he has to get a lawyer and file a lawsuit before he can find that out.
This does go way beyond us here. It will take a Judge and lawyers who can review case law to decide.

All we can do is talk about it and share our thoughts and OPINIONS!!! :lol:

danbus

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
cato wrote:

As a street officer... I do not ask the dispatcher.. "Did we verify the person's identity? Do we have a verified call back number?" I go to the call and see what there is to see. Often times prank calls are called in anonymously and nothing is found. I have never been sent to a call where I harassed an innocent person.

The better plan for those officers would to get there and talk about a contact plan. One could cover as the other approached to talk. Drawing a gun could only be determined based on what is seen. If the person goes for his gun.. he could quickly be taken out.

It seems that the "man with a gun call" was taken seriously and not having the knowledge of the callers tone of voice.... theofficerswentforward and quickly gained control to prevent any chance for harm to others. Dan was also released quickly.

Was it absolutely necessary? Not with Dan. But there are people who want to hurt others.

Maybe Dan was a stalker and following the lady that called.. I don't know. Anything you want to tell us Dan?

No clue of who the lady was. It's apparently so that she's seen ME before. Maybe she's stalking me since she called the police? Or perhaps she's jealous that her boyfriend/male friends/husband doesn't/or isn't able to carry a gun and so she's taking out her frustration on me? Lord only knows.

Even better, MAYBE, she's a SSS (super secret spy) from the MMM trying to get me shot and/or arrested?

LEO 229, I don't know if you had a gun pointed at you, but let me tell you,the thought everything I loved was going to be taken away from me just because someone thought I was going to do something, but couldn't articulate a reason why.

I don't know what's worse : have a BG rob you of you money at gunpoint or a GG robbing you of your dignity and trust for LEOs.

You still have yet to answer any of my questions nor give reasonable inferences as to why you could come out with gun drawn (pertaining to my situation).

cato

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

I get all the information on the caller over the computer and usually the dispatcher will add if a call is anonymous. In responding to this call I would have hoped the dispatcher would have kept the caller on the line to provide updated info on the situation as I approached. I was also disappointed that more questions weren't asked of the caller; but I'm Monday morning quarterbacking this one.

danbus,

FOIA more! Was a code three response authorizedbased on the info telephoned in? Was it authorized by dispatch or supervisor? FOIA their policy on code 3 and use of force. You might discover some violations of policy in the officersactions; wanting you to swear at him so he could hit you? WOW!

cato

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Might be good questions to ask on occasion as the legality of our actions hinge on the answer. How does one verify a telephoned ID? I think if someone leaves a name and contact info we are covered legally provided the rest of the information leads one to believe a crime was about to, is being, or will be committed, thereby allowing for a forced detention of a suspect. We assume that the names and call back info given to dispatchare true as if it is otherwise thatwould be a crime in most states.

ChinChin

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
ChinChin wrote:
Simple question:

You will have to ask the officers that were there.

I am not saying the officersare right... I only gave my opinion that what they did was allowable and justifiable.

I can only offer my opinion.

I don't discount your opinion. I don't agree with it, but it’s your own opinion and you're entitled like any other person.

That said. . .Allowable and justifiable based upon what exactly? Written and documented police policies or just "gut feeling". I understand you are an officer from a different jurisdiction and can only use your own experience, but your opinion honestly surprises me.

So, based upon everything Dan has described thus far, and from the 911 tape (transcription) what was the action he performed that makes their actions allowable and justifiable in your opinion? If simply being a person with a gun in public is the justification and makes their actions allowable. . . perhaps we need to have our legislature and district attorneys push for better prosecution of crimes committed under color of authority.

My opinion, is that what we saw was a show of force disappropriate to the actions demonstrated by the suspect and was excessive force in affecting an arrest.

LEO 229

imported post

cato wrote:
I get all the information on the caller over the computer and usually the dispatcher will add if a call is anonymous. In responding to this call I would have hoped the dispatcher would have kept the caller on the line to provide updated info on the situation as I approached. I was also disappointed that more questions weren't asked of the caller; but I'm Monday morning quarterbacking this one.

danbus,

FOIA more! Was a code three response authorizedbased on the info telephoned in? Was it authorized by dispatch or supervisor? FOIA their policy on code 3 and use of force. You might discover some violations of policy in the officersactions; wanting you to swear at him so he could hit you? WOW!
Man with a gun call... I think running Code would be allowed.

Disclaimer: Opinions here may be a pain in your rear!

taurusfan

imported post

First of all, WHAT is that gun that Dan carries he MUST be off his rocker

He should get a real gun, Glock or somethin'

LEO 229

imported post

cato wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Might be good questions to ask on occasion as the legality of our actions hinge on the answer. How does one verify a telephoned ID? I think if someone leaves a name and contact info we are covered legally provided the rest of the information leads one to believe a crime was about to, is being, or will be committed, thereby allowing for a forced detention of a suspect. We assume that the names and call back info given to dispatchare true as if it is otherwise thatwould be a crime in most states.
As I recall from my reading... No weight isgiven to completely anonymous calls. The person needs to be identified to some degree. But the person can always lie and provide false info to accomplish the false call.

Disclaimer: Opinions here may be a pain in your rear!