• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If Obama gets elected... will u rush to gunstore?

FogRider

imported post

Flintlock wrote:
I agree with your analysis about pricing and I do think this is panic driven, but I didn't blame anyone for anything. Whatever is occuring is good for the gun world for the time being no matter whois causing it.
Sorry, I wasn't directing that at you specifically, it was more of a general "you". Call me crazy, but I keep getting this strange feeling that when prices naturally go up due to inflation somebody is going to start yelling about Obama, when it's actually natural market forces.

Blinn79

imported post

Amazing. I checked our suppliers prices for what we (Gander Mountain) are paying for Glocks, and our retail price is going to jump from $550 to $707. This is due to the price increases we are getting from our suppliers who are running out of guns because of panic. That is a huge increase. I didn't dare look at AR price increases, as I would have probably started crying. We sold all of our AR's and 5.56/.223 ammo the next day after Obama won.

2a4all

imported post

Don Barnett wrote:
The .44 mag is a VERY NICE caliber. Ruger makes a nice semi-automatic rifle in that caliber. I think the Ruger Redhawk with a 5 1/2 in barrel would make a nice carry gun...a little big...but managable. You can use .44 Specials for defensive loads...and the recoil is VERY light.
Ruger offers a lever action rifle in 44mag, not a semi-auto.

Ruger's semi-auto offerings are the "ranch rifle" collection in 223/5.56 or 7.62x39. (I'm assuming little or no interest in the 10/22 collection.)

Flintlock

imported post

It's to the point where the gun shops are so busy and are running out of stuff that they thought they would have some time devoted to the story on the evening news here in Anchorage. It aired on KTUUChannel 2 onFriday night.

Slayer of Paper

imported post

Jizzle wrote:
does anyone have a glock 29 or has anyone fired a glock 29? I'm in the market. What do you think of it?

Any just another question, what's the difference in ft/lbs between comparable standard personal protecton rounds between 10mm and .45 acp? i've been looking around the internet and i must be asking good the wrong questions becuase i'm having issues finding it.
I'll be up front and let you know that no, I haven't fired one. However, I've considered one, and can give the benefit of what my research has revealed.

First, the ammo is both expensive and difficult to find. Unless you reload your own, you will have trouble getting enough ammo.

Second, the ability of the round to stop an attacker quickly is no better than the .45 acp.

If you're really sold on the really big bore round, I'd recommend a Glock 30 over a Glock 29. The .45 acp is an absolutely proven round that's relatively inexpensive and absolutely devastating for self defense, even in FMJ.

Don Barnett

imported post

Ruger used to make the semi-auto Deer Field in .44 Mag. I am sure you could find a used rifle.

Flintlock

imported post

Slayer of Paper wrote:
Jizzle wrote:
does anyone have a glock 29 or has anyone fired a glock 29? I'm in the market. What do you think of it?

Any just another question, what's the difference in ft/lbs between comparable standard personal protecton rounds between 10mm and .45 acp? i've been looking around the internet and i must be asking good the wrong questions becuase i'm having issues finding it.
I'll be up front and let you know that no, I haven't fired one. However, I've considered one, and can give the benefit of what my research has revealed.

First, the ammo is both expensive and difficult to find. Unless you reload your own, you will have trouble getting enough ammo.

Second, the ability of the round to stop an attacker quickly is no better than the .45 acp.

If you're really sold on the really big bore round, I'd recommend a Glock 30 over a Glock 29. The .45 acp is an absolutely proven round that's relatively inexpensive and absolutely devastating for self defense, even in FMJ.

You might want to better fine-tune that research about the 10mm cartridge. Ammunition is expensive, that is true. But all ammunition is getting more expensive, even if you do reload. Secondly, finding the ammunition for 10mm is not difficult if you actually make an attempt to look. And what is enough? I have no problems with stocking upand I live in Alaska where it is all shipped in, slow for the shops to get, and theshipping is astronomical. In the lower 48, you can place an order for ammuniton, get free shipping, and it only takes a couple of days. There is no excuse.

Thirdly, .45acp is not "big bore." and neither is a 10mm, although a 10mm is more powerful, producing higher speeds with more muzzle energy with an equal weighted bullet. As for the 10mm'sability to stop an attacker, we really don't know that databecause there is not enough statistics, (that I have been able to find at least)that can determine that for a fact.

Aside from that, you are right, the .45acp is proven and that is beyond a doubt. But the 10mm is an outstanding cartridge, is more powerful, and ammunition is not that difficult to find. Try Double Tap (my favorite) or Buffalo Bore.

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php

Jizzzle

imported post

thanks, i appreciate it. I'm contemplating the 10mm atm. i do reload my .40 atm myself, nothing crazy just a little lee loader set up. And i would do the same with the 10mm.

Don Barnett

imported post

Some advice with the Lee Loader outfit: spend a bit more money for a decent scale. The Lee Loader scale is hard to keep consistent...at least for me it was. You will probably find yourself replacing all of the component over time; they are hard to work with expect for the dies, which are great.

Someone advised me NOT to reload, either the .40 cal or 10 mm I don't remember which because I don't have either, IF the cases were fired from a Glock; apparently something with the Glock makes the cases unsuitable for reloading. The .45 ACP is a GREAT round to reload as it is relatively low pressure and cases are easy to find.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Don Barnett wrote:
Some advice with the Lee Loader outfit: spend a bit more money for a decent scale. The Lee Loader scale is hard to keep consistent...at least for me it was. You will probably find yourself replacing all of the component over time; they are hard to work with expect for the dies, which are great.

Someone advised me NOT to reload, either the .40 cal or 10 mm I don't remember which because I don't have either, IF the cases were fired from a Glock; apparently something with the Glock makes the cases unsuitable for reloading. The .45 ACP is a GREAT round to reload as it is relatively low pressure and cases are easy to find.
See the "Unsupported Chamber" discussion in "Selecting a Handgun"(?) section for why to NOT reload ammo from a Glock!

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Personally I feel the the 'Press' that this 'rush' is getting is a GOOD thing for us! Many of the people that are buying guns are first time gun owners and the 'regular' people that don't qualify for the 'gun nut' status that many (most?) of us carry... This simply shows that despite our suffering in this current economy, that we, as a people, believe that 2A is there for a reason and are willing to fight for it! All these people that are buying guns, whatever their reason, are making a powerful statement to our government leaders and fellow citizens, no to mention the world!

like_the_roman

imported post

I ended up buying another Saiga 7.62x39 the next day right as the gun store opened. I wish I would have bought another few cases of ammo though. Even Wolf is expensive and hard to find now that The One is poised to take office.