• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Intent to open carry in Milwaukee

WIG19

imported post

pkbites wrote:
I live iin West Allis/Milwaukee. 10 minutes and I'm there.

Perhaps you could simply do that since you live so close by. Certainlythere's a blotter report at least that could be gleaned...?

Para: Thanks for the info. I understand your need to keep certain things close to the vest; not bad advice from your attorney. I also understand that people have lives beyond hawking a computer so if you go quiet like a sub for awhile you might even be out for groceries; certainly doesn't bother me at least.

I'm fairly certain at some level that the DA's office is running a punchlist of:

-"how do we get through this without looking incompetent?" and

-"how do we get through to the other side without giving mere mortals a glimpse into the weakness in our statutory interpretation?" (because at some point there will be a play book written on how stupid the whole situation is)

[hijack] As an aside,I have contactedmy elected reps to ask them to beat on the AG's office; not regarding anything about this case in particular but because Van Hollen has been so clearly mute on the whole situation. That some major milestone has ostensibly been achieved because someone figured out a certification standard for retired LE and hewas able to make such ceremony of handing a 'permit' to someone is bs - something which should've been done years ago. The only thing it did was get Ms. Bonavia's pulserateat WAVE elevated (something I support). ;) Butthe AG has been a disappointment thus far.

OC is allowed because the law stands mute about it (perfectlyproper imo). But there will be other issues to come such as what to do in a vehicle. And unless something is done, it willlikely be ruled (under the current court configuration) that constant deholstering/clearing of the gun to meet transport law is both dangerous and inconvenient to the point of denying the spirit of the WI Constitution. But it shouldn't have to be that way, with each little nuance having to be ruled on at the expense of some sacrificial new test case, and wouldn't if the AG would issue a position that every LE agency in the state could see regardingconduct in these situations. [/hijack]

Edit: Pointman, good post.

:)

pkbites

imported post

Pointman wrote:
I know his full legal name, home address, phone number, other information I am unwilling to disclose.

Nobody expects his name/info to be disclosed here. That would be grossly inappropriate. I've already posted how proving this can be done without actually I.D. himself to the rest of us. And he should certainly not talk much about the case or consider any of our posts as legal advice.

But you have to admit that a few things here seem a little fishy. Para joins on May 2nd, post a bunch of times about open carrying in different parts of the state, then gets arrested within 2 weeks. If all this is true, it's a hellova thread. We need someone ballsy to do this in Wisconsin. If it's not true, we've all been taken for a ride.

I am not the only one who's yearning for verification of this. And that's all we want, to be able to believe all this not in vain.

For now I'll take Pointman's word that's it's true and leave it at that. But gawd help ya if it's all bullshit!

WIG19

imported post

Our military pilots often fly missions for only one purpose: To get the enemy to turn on their radar so we can map it & gauge the response. If that's the purpose here, then enough folks have done that for them.

If, on the other hand, circumstances are as described we can be a bit more patient. My personal circumstances don't currently hinge on Para's frequentnews-flashes so I'm willing to be a little patient. If all true as described, we'll find out in due course.

Parabellum

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Just received communication from my attorney, the ADA decided to staff the decision but hasn't assigned a date for this to take place. I will be informed if something happens on Monday. I am currently waiting on jpierce to request the info he needs to verify this thread.

Monkeyleg

imported post

Parabellum, the NRA would like to talk with you. Please give me a call at 414-543-1916 when you get a chance.

Thanks,
Dick Baker
Wisconsin Concealed Carry Association

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

pkbites wrote:
I'd believe Mike or John if they said it's real.

Parabellum has provided me with his real name, address, phone number and the contact information for his attorney as well as sharing some of the correspondence between them.

I have also seen at least one of the documents from the police department including the officers name.

This appears to be completely legitimate.

I wish him the best. The outcome of this case (if it is staffed) will be used for or against Wisconsin gun owners for years to come.

swillden

imported post

Monkeyleg wrote:
Parabellum, the NRA would like to talk with you. Please give me a call at 414-543-1916 when you get a chance.
Hopefully this is about getting him a better attorney than his Public Defender.

If this really goes to trial, gun owners who care should help to make sure that he has a good defense. I'll contribute.

cato

imported post

swillden wrote:
Monkeyleg wrote:

If this really goes to trial, gun owners who care should help to make sure that he has a good defense. I'll contribute.
Now the ball starts rolling! I'm still in for $100 when it's needed. I'm surprised some Wisconsin private attorney hasn't jumped on this gold mine and potential hero status of a case.

apjonas

imported post

Even Admins can be conned. Even if they have a name, address, whatever doesn't make the story true. My spidey-sense went off at the beginning. I was berated and told it was legit. Now there are more signs of a scam. As I said, it could just be a failure to communicate. Perhaps what Parabellum meant by his lawyer being "ditched" was that the ASA cancelled the meeting on short notice. However it was phrased as if the DA hid in men's room from an unwanted romance. I cannot see why the name of the DA and/or Para's attorney cannot be posted. I am still unsure what,if anything, Para was charged with anything or what the conference is for. Did anybody post a cite to the statute or ordinance involved? If Para's story is remotely accuratethen both sides are winging it and that is inconsistent with my experience. If some verifiable materials doesn't show up soon then I will conclude it was a work of fiction. Again some items that can be posted without any danger to Para"

Name of his attorney:

Name of states' attorney:

LEO Department Involved/Report #:

Reason given for firearm seizure:

Report in a newspaper - virtually every local paper runs a blotter than shows arrests and charges.

As for AG VanHollen - this case is the responsibility of the DA's office in Milwaukee County. I doubt that the AG is aware of much less interested in this case.

apjonas

imported post

Parabellum wrote:
Just received communication from my attorney, the ADA decided to staff the decision but hasn't assigned a date for this to take place. I will be informed if something happens on Monday. I am currently waiting on jpierce to request the info he needs to verify this thread.

What does this mean in simpler English?

P.S. Why the previous remark about drinking while armed? Is the relevant to your case or just an attempt to reduce stress with humor?

Monkeyleg

imported post

If this really goes to trial, gun owners who care should help to make sure that he has a good defense.  I'll contribute.

The NRA funded the defense for Vegas 100%, and Vegas' attorney--Craig Mastantuono--is one of the best there is.

Teej

imported post

swillden wrote

I would throw something into the hat if necessary.

And (jumping off topic a moment) swilden...was not too far from your neck of the woods in january. Was out by PC making use of some of the olympic facilities. :D Didn't really "see" anything outside that area though - landed in SLC late at night and slept in town, but headed up the mountains at first light. Made my drive back to the airport in the dark too.

T

Parabellum

Founder's Club Member
imported post

apjonas,

the admins, pointman, shotgun, GJD, and few others have been given first hand accounts of whats going on because they can keep it out of public discourse.I will reply one last time to your post and no more if you continue to call me a hoax.

1. Your spidey-sense is broken.

2. I have asked for nothing but information, so whats the scam, it doesn't exist. But you seem to make things up out of nothing so maybe thats where you came to that conclusion.

3. The conference took place, it was never canceled. It happened on the 20th of May and nothing was decided. The ADA asked me a few questions outside of the office after it had closed but i did not answer them and then he stated and I quote"Well its after 5 so you can come back on the 4th or not come and choose to be charged". So I returned on the 4th and again the conference took place and nothing was decided, but he told my attorney he would have a decision for her by 5PM, he did not contact her nor was he in the office he had gone home.Shecontacted himtoday and he stated that he was going to staff the decision, which means that a group of ADAs will decide whether or not to charge and with what they should charge. I have not been charged to date, nor has a date been set for the staffing decision.

4. I did not phrase the post to mean or be read to mean that the ADA was hiding in the bathroom to avoid an unwanted romance, this is another of the misguided ideas born of your own mind with little help of outside sources, I suggest you read posts more clearly in future.

5. My attorneys name, if not posted is because no one has asked aboutit. I am notfreely giving out information pertaining to my case because i don't want to let something slip. I am keeping this thread informedbecause well meaning posters asked me to, soI inform themof dates when things are to happenand what happens on those dates.My attorneys name is Nelida Cortes

6. The reason the ADAs name is not posted is because I don't remember it, but you would know this if you would actually read the thread before posting.

7. Again if you read the post you'd know which statutes were relevant to the case and which were cited, but as you like to call things hoaxes instead of actually going thru the thread, you obviously missed things so Ill post them again here. First the charge is "DC while armed" it is two statutes in one charge, one is the charge the other a penalty enhancer. WI Statute 947.01 is Disorderly Conduct the other is WI Statute 939.63 its a weapons enhancer.

8. What experience would you have for this situation to be inconsistent with, none. And if you had experience you might think otherwise.

9. You can go ahead and conclude its fiction, although the only proof you have is a broken spidey-sense and I have shown mine to several respected OCDO members and none has called me a hoax.

10. If you read the thread you would know which police department was involved, it is very clearly implied which PD it is, but in case you lose yourself in fantasia again its the Village of West Milwaukee Police Department.

11. i don't read the newspaper so i wouldn't know if there was news article or any other mention in a newspaper about the incident.

12. The reason given for firearm seizure is highly material to the case and it will not be disclosed.

13. I already stated the drunk while armed question was not at all involved in the incident but you obviously did not read the thread and inform yourself. It was not an attempt to reduce stress with humor, it was a serious question to which I wanted an answer. And im not going to answer for every question i post, nor is it needed.

14. Your inability to understand simple statements further proves that you make things up in your mind when a word ignites your imagination into "bathrooms and unwanted love" over the word "ditched" instead of trying to understand the actual meaning behind whats written.

apjonas do not post until you consider everything in this post AND that calling me a hoax is an aside to my character. Consider what im going thru and then read your posts, they are not what I need to be reading nor do I need to be answering questions about validity when I've already done more than most to prove im not a hoax. Your claims against me are unfounded and unfair as I've done nothing against anyone here, I've tried my best to keep everyone informed without hurting my case, I've provided proofs to many members who have already vouched for me, and still you question my validity, shame on you for working against me when I've done nothing to earn it.

smithman

imported post

I don't understand why the NRA would wish to speak with Para, as they only favor CC and do not consider OC a legitimate means of everyday carry. Some gun owners in WI who are NRA members don't know that OC is legal, because they have never been told by the NRA or other gun owners.

Monkeyleg

imported post

smithman wrote:
I don't understand why the NRA would wish to speak with Para, as they only favor CC and do not consider OC a legitimate means of everyday carry. 

Quite simply not true.

pkbites

imported post

jpierce wrote:
Parabellum has provided me with his real name, address, phone number and the contact information for his attorney as well as sharing some of the correspondence between them.

I have also seen at least one of the documents from the police department including the officers name.

This appears to be completely legitimate.
Very good. I hope that both Para & yourself understand the skepticism that a few of us had over this and hope that there are no hard feelings over wanting some verification.