• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Island Lake Militia Field Day Family/Open Carry Picnic

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
Big Gay Al wrote:
Assumption is the mother of all eff ups. :) I agree!

As for the rest, the OP already stated why they're having their thing at Island Lake. I'd suggest, unless someone has a better suggestion, either go or don't go. Or, try friendly persuasion on the guy who runs the range. All this back and forth here doesn't really do us any good. It does if we determine that pre-emption applies. That way we have ammo of different colors when we show up.
Well, yeah, maybe. Thing is, are any of us lawyers? So far, I just see opinions, for the most part. And do rules that govern public entities, also govern their tenants? That's the BIG question. I may be wrong, but I think the guy running the range would be seen as a tenant, so which rules take effect?

Frankly, I think we need a lawyer to figure that one out.

crosscobra

Banned
imported post

Big Gay Al wrote:
Taurus850CIA wrote:
Big Gay Al wrote:

As for the rest, the OP already stated why they're having their thing at Island Lake. I'd suggest, unless someone has a better suggestion, either go or don't go. Or, try friendly persuasion on the guy who runs the range. All this back and forth here doesn't really do us any good. It does if we determine that pre-emption applies. That way we have ammo of different colors when we show up.
Well, yeah, maybe. Thing is, are any of us lawyers? So far, I just see opinions, for the most part. And do rules that govern public entities, also govern their tenants? That's the BIG question. I may be wrong, but I think the guy running the range would be seen as a tenant, so which rules take effect?

here is somthing you guys are really forgetting about.... the group that is putting this event on... this not at range like silver bullet in grand rapids, or any other indoor range ( we all know the troble we have with these groups) this is an event for the michigan milita. Who are so called "freedom fighters" who state many times they uphold the 2nd amandment, who claim to be willing and able to fight for our rights... yet this group will not allow us to open carry.... yet they advertise on our open carry site... this is where the problem lies with me. If you wont allow open carry at your range or even no matter where it is that is fine its your event.... but if what your group stands for is somewhat alinged with this site yet you do not allow state and local laws to be upheld... just think about that for a min and u will see there is somthing wrong with that pic.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Big Gay Al wrote:
Taurus850CIA wrote:
Big Gay Al wrote:

This discussion is similar to that we had a while back about Cobo Hall. If I remember correctly, it was said that Cobo Hall is not all stadium, arena or a entertainment facility that falls under Section 5o (CPZ's). However, a private entity leasing an area of the hall had the right to ban weapons in that area leased that's not an otherwise CPZ.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

crosscobra wrote:
here is somthing you guys are really forgetting about.... the group that is putting this event on... this not at range like silver bullet in grand rapids, or any other indoor range ( we all know the troble we have with these groups) this is an event for the michigan milita. Who are so called "freedom fighters" who state many times they uphold the 2nd amandment, who claim to be willing and able to fight for our rights... yet this group will not allow us to open carry.... yet they advertise on our open carry site... this is where the problem lies with me. If you wont allow open carry at your range or even no matter where it is that is fine its your event.... but if what your group stands for is somewhat alinged with this site yet you do not allow state and local laws to be upheld... just think about that for a min and u will see there is somthing wrong with that pic.
I haven't forgotten about it. They have no authority to tell me I can't exercise a legal right while I'm on public property that they just happen to be using for their promotion. Also, if I am to understand correctly, they are conveying the range rules, not putting the kibosh on open carry.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
This discussion is similar to that we had a while back about Cobo Hall. If I remember correctly, it was said that Cobo Hall is not all stadium, arena or a entertainment facility that falls under Section 5o (CPZ's). However, a private entity leasing an area of the hall had the right to ban weapons in that area leased that's not an otherwise CPZ.
I thought about that, too, but isn't Cobo private, where Island Lake Rec is public?

crosscobra

Banned
imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
crosscobra wrote:
I haven't forgotten about it. They have no authority to tell me I can't exercise a legal right while I'm on public property that they just happen to be using for their promotion. Also, if I am to understand correctly, they are conveying the range rules, not putting the kibosh on open carry.
they said at the picnic its ok to OC but u can not OC at the range. but if you look in the flier this is an Open Carry event, they are advertsiing it as such....and here is the thing like i have said i have trained with some of these guys and there firearm handleing skills are not the greatest with long guns much less hang guns. It just kind of makes you think about what this group is really about...to me it feels like they are attaching the open carry just to bring some of the members of this forum into tier ranks but will not uphold out state and local laws

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
I thought about that, too, but isn't Cobo private, where Island Lake Rec is public?

City of Detroit I believe.

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2009/06/state_of_michigan_hopes_to_wra.html

Taurus850CIA

imported post

crosscobra wrote:
they said at the picnic its ok to OC but u can not OC at the range. but if you look in the flier this is an Open Carry event, they are advertsiing it as such....and here is the thing like i have said i have trained with some of these guys and there firearm handleing skills are not the greatest with long guns much less hang guns. It just kind of makes you think about what this group is really about...to me it feels like they are attaching the open carry just to bring some of the members of this forum into tier ranks but will not uphold out state and local laws
Maybe they need their eyes opened as to the laws. Ignorance is forgivable.

Declaration Day

imported post

Hmm, I thought we were done dealing with Crosscobra's shenanigans.

Gentlemen, this man knows nothing about us. I have never met or trained with him, nor has anybody in the SMVM. He was briefly part of another fledgling unit elsewhere in the state.

Long story short, his actions and attitude led to him being ostracized from that unit, and he is using this forum to retaliate. The simple fact that he is hijacking this thread to do so should be sufficient evidence of which I speak. Why he is taking it out on us is puzzling, as we played no role whatsoever in what happened between him and his former unit.

NOW, to be clear, the SMVM isn't setting any rules on open carry. The range at Island Lake has that rule, which we oppose. However, as I stated in an earlier post, we recently lost our private training ground and are doing the best we can with what we have, until we find a better place.

In the mean time I think it would be a great idea to try and change the Island Lake range rule, as some of you have suggested, and I intend to assist in that effort any way I can.

I am not a moderator here, but I humbly ask whoever is one to insist that this thread stay on topic and that the pointless ad-hominem attacks cease.

I will not speak any more on the issues with Crosscobra here. Anyone who wishes may PM me or email me at declarationday@yahoo.com

Thank you for your time, and I hope to see many of you at our event.

Bryan

mikestilly

imported post

FYI I myself will support no group that advertises a anti-OC range.. This is not the only range in the state. I've seen lots of excuses. You can safely OC at a range without muzzle sweeps sounds like some stereotypical doublespeak to me. I for one will be happy to tell people not to attend this event if you're really pro-2A. Promote your anti-OC private range elsewhere!

johnniebravo

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
johnniebravo wrote:
Ok I'm confused, if it is a stae range doesnt preemption apply? What am i missing in this equation guys?
Island Lake is a State Park where preemption would apply for OC or CC. I don't know how preemption comes into play for a designated shooting range within a State Park. My guess it doesn't and that would explain the OC prohibition (possibly invalid) only within the shooting area of the park.
I don't recall any disqualifier in MCL for range areas on public property. It's all public property.

Private management of the range shouldn't make a difference, either, I wouldn't think. I should think that they have to follow the law, or am I wrong?
Im thinking they wouldnt be able to ban Oc because of preemption

Taurus850CIA

imported post

johnniebravo wrote:
Im thinking they wouldnt be able to ban Oc because of preemption
I'd like to think so, but I suppose the detail that needs to be determined is whether or not a "renter" of public property retains the rights of private property owners, thus making them exempt from pre-emption, which is applicable to "local units of gov't".

crosscobra

Banned
imported post

I have trained with the SMVM at thier Camp is Stasa whitch was shut down because the family of the man who let them train on their property died and the family did not support the MM and Bryon to be honest i have no hard feelings that i left the MM. I just think it is 2 faced that you advertise here"claim it to be an open carry event, then tell the mebers they can not open carry..... if anyone is intrested in what really happens in the MM please feel free to Pm me and i can share Emails and explain exactly what the MM stands for in this nation

LFB

imported post

I'm glad to so much controversy in the ranks. I had no idea that we would have the pleasure of Cross Cobra in our ranks today. He makes it a habit of going around and stirring up trouble in the ranks of local Militia groups. I am honored that he has picked us for his shenanigans. a fight I doubt he will win.

As far as open cary goes, I have organized a very successful picnic in Wyandotte back in September. I support the open carry right. Open carry has always been a part of training. Most us openly carry not only our sidearms, but our long guns during our events at Island Lake.

As far as OUR firearm handling, I not really sure what is being said. We have a safety briefing before any firearm training. We ensure that everyone involved operates thier firearms safely.

I have never trained with Cross Cobra, nor do I ever remember meeting him. He is entitled to his opinion, as any of you are.

We are supporting our State Parks, come if you want, don't come if you don't want.

crosscobra

Banned
imported post

mikestilly wrote:
FYI I myself will support no group that advertises a anti-OC range.. This is not the only range in the state. I've seen lots of excuses. You can safely OC at a range without muzzle sweeps sounds like some stereotypical doublespeak to me. I for one will be happy to tell people not to attend this event if you're really pro-2A. Promote your anti-OC private range elsewhere!
100% agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! promote elsewhere