• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just handed in papers one week ago today... worried about wait time...

rt1983

Pardon my ignorance if I didn't read enough, but why do they list 6-8 weeks if they only really have half that time to really have it done by?

Technically this is how it would go:
Day one submit papers to pd
Within 5 business days, application must be submitted by pd to state pd for background checks
(This is where it can take as long as the state wants to, as far as submitting fingerprints to FBI and such)
2-3 days later assuming fingerprints were submitted within 3 days, your FBI check should be sent back to local pd direct from FBI
So now we are at around 1.5- 2 weeks
Next step your local pd must, within one week of receiving the FBI check, give answer of approval or denial
So total time should be around 3 weeks give or take a few days...
Now this is what the statute actually state, not what departments actually do, partly because there is so much confusion as to what "should" be done...
For example, newington is/was unaware that they did not need the state police background checks, their turn around time could be 3 weeks but since they are waitin for the state police background checks it. Oils take up to 16 weeks!!! Because of the " backlog" as spbi which has been proven to not exist and not be necessary.
What I have attempted to do and succeeded in some ways, is to gather information and names of people alon the way and through my process. I have learned that, as with company, there are people that enjoy their jobs and doin them correctly, and there are those that just to along with whatever the boss says so they don't get in trouble. I have received such false and bad information from people it is rediculous, and embarrassing to think that these are our state police. I have also realized that as far as my local pd, as I cannot speak for others, gets a bad wrap for taking too long for permits, in reality they were misinformed and just following along with their past practice. I hope to have helped in some way to speed this process for others and have some friends waiting to submit their applications at this time and I will aid them as well.

Edit: I dot think I actually answered your question. The 8 weeks is the maximum allowable time to approve or deny a "local" or temporary permit. Meaning if the local pd and state police dragged their feet through every deadline and the background checks actually took weeks and weeks to receive, they must give an answer by 8 weeks.

Personally I believe in the times of snail mail and paper fingerprint cards,etc that made sense. In today's world, the local pd should be able to send out fingerprints straight to FBI and check their own systems for records and give you a permit in days or hours even.

Last edited:

HWilliams

My prints are on cards so I'd assume snail mail will be involved. Does that mean the prints have to be mailed within the 5 day or gotten by state police within the 5 days? I'd guess from there it would be electronic to the FBI.

Rich B

My prints are on cards so I'd assume snail mail will be involved. Does that mean the prints have to be mailed within the 5 day or gotten by state police within the 5 days? I'd guess from there it would be electronic to the FBI.

http://cga.ct.gov/2011/pub/chap529.htm#Sec29-29.htm

Sec. 29-29. Information concerning criminal records of applicants for permits. (a) No temporary state permit for carrying any pistol or revolver shall be issued under the provisions of section 29-28 unless the applicant for such permit gives to the local authority, upon its request, full information concerning the applicant's criminal record. The local authority shall require the applicant to submit to state and national criminal history records checks. The local authority shall take a full description of such applicant and make an investigation concerning the applicant's suitability to carry any such weapons.

(b) The local authority shall take the fingerprints of such applicant or conduct any other method of positive identification required by the State Police Bureau of Identification or the Federal Bureau of Investigation, unless the local authority determines that the fingerprints of such applicant have been previously taken and the applicant's identity established, and such applicant presents identification that the local authority verifies as valid. The local authority shall record the date the fingerprints were taken in the applicant's file and, within five business days of such date, shall forward such fingerprints or other positive identifying information to the State Police Bureau of Identification which shall conduct criminal history records checks in accordance with section 29-17a.

(c) The local authority may, in its discretion, issue a temporary state permit before a national criminal history records check relative to such applicant's record has been received. Upon receipt of the results of such national criminal history records check, the commissioner shall send a copy of the results of such national criminal history records check to the local authority, which shall inform the applicant and render a decision on the application within one week of the receipt of such results. If such results have not been received within eight weeks after a sufficient application for a permit has been made, the local authority shall inform the applicant of such delay, in writing. No temporary state permit shall be issued if the local authority has reason to believe the applicant has ever been convicted of a felony, or that any other condition exists for which the issuance of a permit for possession of a pistol or revolver is prohibited under state or federal law.

(d) The commissioner may investigate any applicant for a state permit and shall investigate each applicant for renewal of a state permit to ensure that such applicant is eligible under state law for such permit or for renewal of such permit.

(e) No state permit may be issued unless either the local authority or the commissioner has received the results of the national criminal history records check.

Luckily it looks like we narrowly escaped an attempt to mandate fingerprinting this legislative session...

rt1983

Quick update, so newington PD should have received my state background check, which per statute they don't even need, back on may 8-9th which they didn't, so I
Patiently waited another week and still no reciept, so I called spbi and asked them to send it again, which they did and mailed it Friday last week, and called newington pd today, they received it yesterday, yet now tell me it will be a few more weeks due to more checks they do. I asked what the checks were and response was, " you wouldn't know wht the checks are, it's state stuff.". What the hell!!!! I technically should have had my permit in 5 weeks which in my opinion per the statutes we have is the absolute maximum any permit should take, so by 6 weeks I was expecting it in the mail, now a few more weeks for phantom checks?!?!?
I know Rich has been greatly helpful in educating my local Pd and I hope in the future it is simpler for others, and maybe they will comply with the statutes, because as of now I have lost faith. Hopefully I get my permit before the freakin appeal

davidmcbeth

Banned
. Hopefully I get my permit before the freakin appeal

I filed appeal on mine early this month .. tentative hearing date is in MAR 13 .. I filed an objection to the hearing date .. so you can file your appeal, just be ready to be told it will be heard in APR 13.

Its a process, its a process. That's what they tell folks. I reply back "oh, its a process .. a fascist process!" ...

Oh, and in respect to DESPP giving out fingerprint info, they will, if you write them a letter and note a request under the privacy act (not foia). They like to play games...playing games is what they like....I have a claims commission complaint filed already with the claims commission...so I'm amend it to include this abortion process....see? I can play games too.

rt1983

Alright Another update from newington pd...*
My application is no in hands of records dept supervisor for her "checks" then it goes to the sgt for his "checks" so either this week or next.... WTH!!!!*

rt1983

So figured I would update, been busy but, my papers and application were all completed 2.5 weeks ago at NPD, the Sargeant went on vacation when they put the papers on his desk, so here I am still waiting, he has been back from vaca for 2 days today being the third. So another week? Maybe 2? This is crazy considering everything they are REQUIRED to have was on hand Like three or four weeks ago!

ctfireman

Sorry to hear about your wait. I went through the same thing. Make sure you listen to these guys, they know this process inside out. I was another who had a permit well before my hearing date.

davidmcbeth

Banned
64 days since you first post :) .... hang in there ! Hope your gun doesn't dissolve from rust before you get your permit ... in my case, the PD did nothing with my paperwork at all. I'm waiting on an appeal ...

Like they said in Spaceballs ... "soon!" ... go and complain at your selectmen's meeting that they are violating your 2nd amendment rights (after you get your permit of course).

Of course its election time ... so go to a debate and ask a question at your 1st selectman as to why he is anti-second amendment (the chief serves at his wishes) & what other amendments does he shove aside like yesterday's garbage?

Keep on posting updates ...

KIX

Did you at least start the appeal process? Just to get the paperwork started, as it can take a bit either way.

Jonathan

rt1983

Yep appeal process started a while back, but the good news is I will have to call tomorrow and cancel the appeal since I finally got my permit, called today at 340p and NPD said my letter had just been mailed. So I drove down there, grabbed it and rushed to DSP and was their last customer, funny thing is a guy my same exact name has a record a mile long so they had to quickly do their checks and they saw I was the good guy.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Yep appeal process started a while back, but the good news is I will have to call tomorrow and cancel the appeal since I finally got my permit, called today at 340p and NPD said my letter had just been mailed. So I drove down there, grabbed it and rushed to DSP and was their last customer, funny thing is a guy my same exact name has a record a mile long so they had to quickly do their checks and they saw I was the good guy.

Enjoy your permit !

brk913

funny thing is a guy my same exact name has a record a mile long so they had to quickly do their checks and they saw I was the good guy.

Congratulations on finally getting your permit, I am betting this ^^ is one of the reasons it took Newington a bit of extra time as well, I am surprised they did not call and question you about it.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Congratulations on finally getting your permit, I am betting this ^^ is one of the reasons it took Newington a bit of extra time as well, I am surprised they did not call and question you about it.

I doubt the name issue caused confusion .. if it did then Newington is completely incompetent.

And it was between 60-70 days to get the permit ... not unusual...

brk913

I doubt the name issue caused confusion .. if it did then Newington is completely incompetent.

And it was between 60-70 days to get the permit ... not unusual...

So it was enough to make the DPS take a second look but you don't think Newington would have to? I have a lot of students from Newington and most have gotten their permit within about 6 weeks, this one definitly took them longer then their usual time frame for some reason.

You should ask someone with a permit how inconvenient it can be to have a criminal with the same name, everytime you go to buy a gun you get a temp denial and have to prove who you are and that you are not the criminal, you would think the permit would prove it for you but it doesn't work that way....

And I don't think it caused "confusion", I think it got the applicant extra scrutiny to verify that he was in fact not the same person that had the record trying to use a different DOB and address to obtain a permit....

Last edited:

Rich B

I have to agree. This is nothing but a lie.

The state criminal database provides more than just a name search. Hell, you can do it yourself here:

http://ctcarry.com/ConvictionHistory/StateSearch

For the record, I don't see anything that would be easily confused with RT's name, although I don't know his DOB.

davidmcbeth

Banned
You should ask someone with a permit how inconvenient it can be to have a criminal with the same name, everytime you go to buy a gun you get a temp denial and have to prove who you are and that you are not the criminal, you would think the permit would prove it for you but it doesn't work that way....

Well, the whole point of my permit denial appeal is to argue that an applicant has nothing to prove if they plead that they already own a handgun...because with the gun comes the right to practice & a permit is required to be issued since one is needed to walk out the door with the gun and operate it outside the 4 walls of his/her dwelling.

So, the state or issuing authority has the burden to show that the applicant does not have the right to own a handgun and if they cannot, then the permit should be issued.

I honestly have never asked a permit holder if they have the same name as a felon and if it caused them any issues...and none have told me this ... I guess you have ... but it really should not be a problem. (that's should, not is). Thanks for this info..good to know.

My last post of this thread (getting off track a little).

But the OP should enjoy being able to practice and carry (legally) ... :)

Last edited:

rt1983

Rich and David are both correct, by all rights I could have and should have had my permit by 5 weeks. All my information came back squeaky clean as it should have and as was expected. NPD just held it because they wanted to do there "checks", which are nothing more than letting paperwork pile up and sit so they an approve a bunch at once. I Think I was the unlucky guy who started the next
Pile and had to wait for it to get big enough to clear. Also I got instant denial at LGS because of that name issue, but it was cleared within 30 minutes, minor inconvenience.

I look forward to helping ct carry, ccdl and people on this website as much as I can

Haight240z

Wow, a lot of great info here! I'm new to the forum and live in Waterbury and recently submitted my application (8/21/12). They told me 14-16 weeks. I even gave them the character references, with their phone numbers. I even asked the people that gave me the references to let me know if they hear anything since the PD said they are going to follow up on the references. I haven't heard anything yet. Should I approach my situation the same way? Should I keep on their case and keep track of where in the process my application is? Or should I wait until the 8 weeks pass before I inquire or in my case; wait the 14-16 weeks until I ask? I'm just kind of paranoid of jinxing my chances, especially after some of the horror stories I've heard about Waterbury PD. I just hope won't take the 14-16 weeks; that seems excessive to me. Any advice or things I should know would be greatly appreciated, thanks.