• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just handed in papers one week ago today... worried about wait time...

davidmcbeth

Banned
Wow, a lot of great info here! I'm new to the forum and live in Waterbury and recently submitted my application (8/21/12). They told me 14-16 weeks. I even gave them the character references, with their phone numbers. I even asked the people that gave me the references to let me know if they hear anything since the PD said they are going to follow up on the references. I haven't heard anything yet. Should I approach my situation the same way? Should I keep on their case and keep track of where in the process my application is? Or should I wait until the 8 weeks pass before I inquire or in my case; wait the 14-16 weeks until I ask? I'm just kind of paranoid of jinxing my chances, especially after some of the horror stories I've heard about Waterbury PD. I just hope won't take the 14-16 weeks; that seems excessive to me. Any advice or things I should know would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Why would you give them references? Now they'll take time to check them out. If you have your gun rights and a handgun then they have to issue as you need a permit to take the gun out of the house to a range to practice, as this is part of the 2nd amendment. All questions not relevant to other queries are simply not appropriate. Asking for employers? I had this stricken by the board.

Our state laws have simply not been changed to account for recent case law. They still are using "suitability" examinations which are no longer relevant. People need to start OBJECTING.

Rich B

Wow, a lot of great info here! I'm new to the forum and live in Waterbury and recently submitted my application (8/21/12). They told me 14-16 weeks. I even gave them the character references, with their phone numbers. I even asked the people that gave me the references to let me know if they hear anything since the PD said they are going to follow up on the references. I haven't heard anything yet. Should I approach my situation the same way? Should I keep on their case and keep track of where in the process my application is? Or should I wait until the 8 weeks pass before I inquire or in my case; wait the 14-16 weeks until I ask? I'm just kind of paranoid of jinxing my chances, especially after some of the horror stories I've heard about Waterbury PD. I just hope won't take the 14-16 weeks; that seems excessive to me. Any advice or things I should know would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

They have 5 days to submit your fingerprints to SPBI. SPBI should process your background checks in less than 72 hours. They will then send your background checks back to Waterbury. From there, Waterbury has 1 week to issue or deny your permit.

So you need to call DESPP and ask for 'records'. Tell them you want to know the date a background check for a pistol permit was sent back to Waterbury.

You should try and have the receipts for the money orders you submitted handy.

Any specific issues or questions: rich [at] ctcarry.com

Haight240z

Why would you give them references? Now they'll take time to check them out. If you have your gun rights and a handgun then they have to issue as you need a permit to take the gun out of the house to a range to practice, as this is part of the 2nd amendment. All questions not relevant to other queries are simply not appropriate. Asking for employers? I had this stricken by the board.

Our state laws have simply not been changed to account for recent case law. They still are using "suitability" examinations which are no longer relevant. People need to start OBJECTING.

Thanks for the reply McBeth! The reason I gave them references is because they said they are required (which I know is not) and if you don't give them the references they pretty much deny you on the spot. If I had chosen not to hand them and informed them what that they cannot require this info and backed it up with a copy of the statutes they will just turn around go back to their desk and ignore you. This is what I've heard has been happening with Waterbury PD.

They have 5 days to submit your fingerprints to SPBI. SPBI should process your background checks in less than 72 hours. They will then send your background checks back to Waterbury. From there, Waterbury has 1 week to issue or deny your permit.

So you need to call DESPP and ask for 'records'. Tell them you want to know the date a background check for a pistol permit was sent back to Waterbury.

You should try and have the receipts for the money orders you submitted handy.

Any specific issues or questions: rich [at] ctcarry.com

Rich I thank you for your info and all that you have done and will do for gun rights in CT. I have heard great things about you and what you have done for us (new/current permit holders/applicants) and your wealth of information on the subject. Do you have any suggestions on who I should call first (local or state) and how often? Should I be aware of anything Waterbury might do or not do? Also do you know of any recent time frame for permits being issued in Waterbury; or do you think it will be the 14-16 weeks? I have already been finger printed in the past and both the State and FBI have them on record. No they were not for any legal trouble; I had to get them done for a job I had at the Dept. of Public Health.

Again, I thank the both of you for your insights and advice.

Rich B

Thanks for the reply McBeth! The reason I gave them references is because they said they are required (which I know is not) and if you don't give them the references they pretty much deny you on the spot. If I had chosen not to hand them and informed them what that they cannot require this info and backed it up with a copy of the statutes they will just turn around go back to their desk and ignore you. This is what I've heard has been happening with Waterbury PD.

This is what certified mail and the BFPE are for.

They have 5 days to submit your prints to DESPP's SPBI and 1 week to issue or deny once they receive the background check. Call DESPP, ask for 'records', tell them you are checking on the status of state and national pistol permit background checks. Have your money order receipts/info available when you call.

You want the date they received the prints/money orders and the date they sent them back to the PD.

davidmcbeth

Banned

My local PD also said that they would not "accept" the application too ... until I told them that I would just zip over to the village hall and serve the 1st selectman with it (which is OK too). Then they said, OK - we'll take it. All together with the DPS form with "not applicable" over most of their commie queries.

But I'm willing to go the board route and get rulings ... rather than submit to their commie and fascists ways. For folks who want their permit faster, I understand the reluctant compliance.

The board has agreed with my viewpoints so far, ruling in my favor in respect to their questionnaire they send out to applicants (you can see this on their website) .. I wrote "objection" to every single entry they had on the form .. and they sustained the objections to all but name and address...which I then submitted on a new form completed again with "objections" written on every other line..board had no complaints with this filing.

Now, the objections I had to the local cops filing their questionnaire is still pending...the board refused to rule on it until my hearing date. Its not the best way of doing business .. everyone should know what is and is not evidence. This likely will hurt the other party more than me as once a ruling is made, and any made in my favor, will likely get them wondering "what now?".

My recent dealings with state and local folks are getting me to begin leaning toward a more aggressive response(s) to their queries .. If I were to file a permit application today I would likely write "F---- You" instead of the more civilized "objections".

Last edited:

Clawed

I just handed in my pistol permit application on monday 9/17/2012 and the lady behind the desk said it MIGHT be done by the usual 8 weeks but it I could take 14-16 weeks.
I hope they get it done before 8 weeks.

Rich B

I just handed in my pistol permit application on monday 9/17/2012 and the lady behind the desk said it MIGHT be done by the usual 8 weeks but it I could take 14-16 weeks.
I hope they get it done before 8 weeks.

What 8 weeks? They have 5 days to send in the fingerprints, 1 week to issue or deny when they receive your background reports.

davidmcbeth

Banned
(b) The local authority shall, not later than eight weeks after a sufficient application for a temporary state permit has been made, inform the applicant that such applicant's request for a temporary state permit has been approved or denied. The local authority shall forward a copy of the application indicating approval or denial of the temporary state permit to the Commissioner of Public Safety. If the local authority has denied the application for a temporary state permit, no state permit may be issued. The commissioner shall, not later than eight weeks after receiving an application indicating approval from the local authority, inform the applicant in writing that the applicant's application for a state permit has been approved or denied, or that the results of the national criminal history records check have not been received. If grounds for denial become known after a temporary state permit has been obtained, the temporary state permit shall be immediately revoked pursuant to section 29-32.

Me thinks that's where they get the idea that 16 weeks is OK. Just my opinion. From 29-28a

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
It doesn't make any difference. CGS 29-29 is pretty clear. There is no other statute overriding it.

Just saying where they get their ideas of timing .. just to let people prepare for their arguments.

+ 29-29 is full of that "national background check" BS. Why do WE have to prove anything. After all if you own a pistol, you have a right to practice - and you need a permit for that. No BR check should be mandatory. In my case, I think my local authority has run my BR several times in the past few months. I refused in my application. Still waiting since March for my hearing ... they will not meet a very nice citizen who has been forced to wait for 9 months. They will hear from a citizen who has been delayed 9 mo. for no reason.

GrandZJ

No. I've told him to numerous times but he's worried that if he gets pushy they'll deny him because of his nollied record.

GrandZJ

A domestic violence arrest that was nollied and there was no conviction and no AR or anything will disqualify him?