• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

La Crosse or surounding counties up for a share and compare?

Spartacus

Banned
Well I went and pulled the trigger on a S&W 500 in .50 cal so I will be bringing it to the event on the 17th if anyone wants to give it a shot. Its got the 8 3/8" barrel with compensator which causes significant blowback so earplugs and muffs are recommended. I may end up having it re-barreled as I am dubious about the merits of ported handguns.

Anyway if you want to bring your own ammo you can as long as they are commercial and not re-loads, or you can use my commercial ammo at a buck a round. Thats what it costs.

I will also be bringing my .44 mag S&W 629 for folks to shoot.

logan

Campaign Veteran
Well I went and pulled the trigger on a S&W 500 in .50 cal so I will be bringing it to the event on the 17th if anyone wants to give it a shot. Its got the 8 3/8" barrel with compensator which causes significant blowback so earplugs and muffs are recommended. I may end up having it re-barreled as I am dubious about the merits of ported handguns.

Anyway if you want to bring your own ammo you can as long as they are commercial and not re-loads, or you can use my commercial ammo at a buck a round. Thats what it costs.

I will also be bringing my .44 mag S&W 629 for folks to shoot.

Oh god that thing sounds huge...I might have to give it a shot. I'll make sure to bring some money to this event so I can buy some ammo :p Not even sure where to buy that kind of ammo.

Depending on how many guns I want to clean that night...I might have a 9mm, .357 mag, .380 auto, and a couple .223 rifles.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
Oh god that thing sounds huge...I might have to give it a shot. I'll make sure to bring some money to this event so I can buy some ammo :p Not even sure where to buy that kind of ammo.

Depending on how many guns I want to clean that night...I might have a 9mm, .357 mag, .380 auto, and a couple .223 rifles.

Bring them ALL!

I'm bringing 1K rounds for the M1 carbine, pull the trigger 30+ times before you have to reload:banana:

M

McX

it sounds like you guys are going to have an incredible event! enjoy, and have a blast, so to speak.

Serpent

"The event may be on hold. Some of us may have a funeral to attend."

Just left Huberts. Sounds like funeral is Monday, wake is Sunday afternoon or evening.

professor gun

We are on. La Crosse Rifle Club, 1 to 5 p.m. I will have the gate open and clubhouse unlocked.

We have two handgun ranges:
1) West range is 25 yards with fixed target frames and a single steel plate rack
2) East range goes out to about 40 yards and has mobile target frames that can be placed at any distance. There are two plate racks on this range.

We have a rifle range with fixed target frames at 50, 100, 200, and 300 yards.

Rules:
1) Anyone shooting on the range is required to sign a waiver.
2) Anyone on either handgun range will be required to wear eye protection any time there is shooting at the plate racks. We have safety glasses at the club you can use if you do not own a pair.
3) Hearing protection must be worn. We have foam ear plugs in the clubhouse you can have if you forget your hearing protection.
4) If you just want to handle a firearm without shooting it, there will be a safe area set up on the range for you to do so.
5) And, of course, you are expected to follow all firearms safety rules at all times.

I will have some makeshift name tags for those who would like to have one. Looks like it will be a hot day, bring a water bottle; you will be able to refill water bottles from our well on the range or inside the clubhouse.

If anyone is interested in membership in the La Crosse Rifle Club I will have membership applications available.

If I have left anything out or if you have questions, post here or PM me. I look forward to seeing you on the range!

Spartacus

Banned
Thanks for the update PG!

I invited a bartender from my local watering hole to come and check us out. He said he had a High Point in .40 so I told him to leave it at home; come on out and shoot some "real" guns. lol

logan

Campaign Veteran
I have a buddy who will be coming with me. He will be bringing an XCR in 7.62x39. It's a pretty fun gun to shoot.

B

bhancock

Thanks for the update PG!

I invited a bartender from my local watering hole to come and check us out. He said he had a High Point in .40 so I told him to leave it at home; come on out and shoot some "real" guns. lol

Just because it inexpensive doesn't mean it is not real. The Hi Point is an excellent value for the firearm you get and it will do just as a good a job as an open carry gun as any. Actually, I think it looks less 'girly' than some of the more expensive brands. It is US made and has an excellent warranty and customer service record. With my Hi Point C9 I can put 10 rounds in 4 square inches in 10 seconds at 10 yards, I feel that is acceptable performance.

But with the lol at the end, I imagine that was more of a chide than a put down on Hi Point Carriers. Hoping to get there on Sunday to meet a few more you guys.

Spartacus

Banned
Nothing personal Hancock.

For ammo wasters, Hi Point's are fine but I'm not sure I would want to put my or my families life on the line with one. The main reason I told my homie to leave his at home was that it jammed every few rounds. He may as well get used to using the lifetime warranty.

PG, should we bring targets? I thought about bringing some water jugs or something to blow up with my .50 cal... is it possible?

professor gun

Water jugs are fine as long as they are plastic. We do have generic paper targets available; if you want a target less boring feel free to bring any paper target you like. If anyone has the IPSC type targets we do have some target frames we can attach those to.

Please everyone bring a staple gun and staples if you have them. We have target backings that allow stapling of paper targets on them. With a group at the range we typically are short on staple guns.

logan

Campaign Veteran
Bah, looks like I actually won't make it this weekend. There's a get together planned at my grandpa's this weekend. They switched the date to fit into more people's schedules. So I'll be there instead. Have fun :)

B

bhancock

Nothing personal Hancock.

For ammo wasters, Hi Point's are fine but I'm not sure I would want to put my or my families life on the line with one. The main reason I told my homie to leave his at home was that it jammed every few rounds. He may as well get used to using the lifetime warranty.

Tell your homie to stay away from Winchester White Box if he uses it. It is the only ammo I have used that is not reliable in my C9. Everything else cycles fine. I haven't had a jamb or mis-feed since the first 50 rounds, that is except the box of Winchester. I am not sure if the .40 dislikes Winchester Ammo as well.