• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

La Crosse or surounding counties up for a share and compare?

Mlutz

Hi point "haters" everywhere... Get over it! American made, lifetime warranty... I have NEVER had a problem with the 100's of rounds I have put through mine. Trust my life on it, You bet. A 40 s&w round will stop any threat to myself or my kids. If not the 500 Mossberg will do the job. I do however doubt it would get that far. Go ahead and get the "top of the line glock", and shoot yourself in the leg... Wow...

Spartacus

Banned
Looks like I opened up a can of worms. lol

Anyway, I hope you one of you guys bring your HP to the shoot. Maybe I'll "get over it" if I put a few rounds down range and it doesn't jam or blow my hand off. lol

Last edited:

Mlutz

Looks like I opened up a can of worms. lol

Anyway, I hope you one of you guys bring your HP to the shoot. Maybe I'll "get over it" if I put a few rounds down range and it doesn't jam or blow my hand off. lol

So, you are saying you have never fired one? If thats the case, I think all lamborghinis are junk. I know one person that owns one and has nothing but problems. I have never drove it, but it is junk...

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
If thats the case, I think all lamborghinis are junk. I know one person that owns one and has nothing but problems. I have never drove it, but it is junk.
Good point. I bought a new '73 Porsche 911E and drove it for six years but hated the maintenance costs and tire expense ($250 every 50K miles back when a 911 cost less than $20,000). Now I drive a diesel VW.

Mlutz

Good point. I bought a new '73 Porsche 911E and drove it for six years but hated the maintenance costs and tire expense ($250 every 50K miles back when a 911 cost less than $20,000). Now I drive a diesel VW.

Station wagon? Lol. Speaking of tires, one tire for me is 271$...

Last edited:

Mlutz

Hmmm... Of the dozens of guns there, I did not see one Hi Point. And I was sooo looking forward to having one blow up in my hand...

Well I guess that is a good thing. Now you can continue to bash guns you have never fired. :D

B

bhancock

Sorry I wasn't there!

Nothing personal Hancock.

For ammo wasters, Hi Point's are fine but I'm not sure I would want to put my or my families life on the line with one. The main reason I told my homie to leave his at home was that it jammed every few rounds. He may as well get used to using the lifetime warranty.

PG, should we bring targets? I thought about bringing some water jugs or something to blow up with my .50 cal... is it possible?

Hmmm... Of the dozens of guns there, I did not see one Hi Point. And I was sooo looking forward to having one blow up in my hand...

Spartacus,
So sorry I couldn't be there. I would have let you shoot my Hi Point C9 so you could feel like a fool for wasting so much money on your elitist's guns. Good quality and reliability doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg. Furthermore I see no reason for you to belittle those of us who can't afford an arsenal of various weapons. We are no less a respectable voice of open carry in Wisconsin. I guess I am not so welcome in your little club.

J.Gleason

Banned
Spartacus,
So sorry I couldn't be there. I would have let you shoot my Hi Point C9 so you could feel like a fool for wasting so much money on your elitist's guns. Good quality and reliability doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg. Furthermore I see no reason for you to belittle those of us who can't afford an arsenal of various weapons. We are no less a respectable voice of open carry in Wisconsin. I guess I am not so welcome in your little club.

Great point bhancock I once owned a Hi Point myself back when they first came out. I thought it was very reliable and came with a lifetime warranty. The only thing I didn't like was there was a roll pin you had to remove in order to break it down. I am sure they have changed that design by now. I never had an issue with it misfiring. I did eventually move on to S&W. I guess if you know how to shoot properly you have no worries. If yo know what your doing you can shoot with any firearm. I guess some here just think that money makes you shoot better. Go figure. The same ones that think you need training to CCW.

hardballer

Thanks for the update PG!

I invited a bartender from my local watering hole to come and check us out. He said he had a High Point in .40 so I told him to leave it at home; come on out and shoot some "real" guns. lol

I've owned a Hi-Point C-9 since the late 90's. Never once had a misfire. Wolf, Winchester, Remington ammo. Probably some other cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap stuff too. I have had it apart and together for cleaning, umpteen times without problems. Let's see, goes bang every time, cost a hundred bucks, Life time warranty. I have have put at least 1000 rounds a year through this workhorse in the last 12 years without a hiccup. Works for me.

My Colt 1911 Combat Commander, broke the second time out. Ate the slide stop. Colt wanted the gun back to “properly install the slide stop” What they meant was fit a new slide stop. Great gun, Beautiful Satin Nickle finish, I repaired it myself and told Colt to watch me buy from someone else.

Nothing personal Hancock.

For ammo wasters, Hi Point's are fine but I'm not sure I would want to put my or my families life on the line with one. The main reason I told my homie to leave his at home was that it jammed every few rounds. He may as well get used to using the lifetime warranty.

PG, should we bring targets? I thought about bringing some water jugs or something to blow up with my .50 cal... is it possible?

Peoples lives have been saved by a lot of cheap guns in the past, some I would not even want to fire, and will in the future too. Not all of us can afford a $1200 dollar gun. Heck, a $600 dollar gun for that matter. The Hi-Point is way beyond a Saturday Night Special or a Jennings or that ilk. It is an inexpensive gun, not cheaply made. For the dollars it does a fine job and I am happy to own one.

I can say here that I would love to own a Colt 44 mag. or a Kimber or Ed Brown etc. but frankly, my budget does not allow. I am fortunate to have what I have. And thankful.

Hi point "haters" everywhere... Get over it! American made, lifetime warranty... I have NEVER had a problem with the 100's of rounds I have put through mine. Trust my life on it, You bet. A 40 s&w round will stop any threat to myself or my kids. If not the 500 Mossberg will do the job. I do however doubt it would get that far. Go ahead and get the "top of the line glock", and shoot yourself in the leg... Wow...
Yup, I keep a mossy right beside the bed next to my sidearm and feel juuuuuuust fine.

Great point bhancock I once owned a Hi Point myself back when they first came out. I thought it was very reliable and came with a lifetime warranty. The only thing I didn't like was there was a roll pin you had to remove in order to break it down. I am sure they have changed that design by now. I never had an issue with it misfiring. I did eventually move on to S&W. I guess if you know how to shoot properly you have no worries. If yo know what your doing you can shoot with any firearm. I guess some here just think that money makes you shoot better. Go figure. The same ones that think you need training to CCW.
Could not agree more. As for training, teach your kids like the bear teaches her cubs and the lion teaches her kittens. We used to have bicycle safety classes when I managed a bicycle shop in Winona.

Should work for guns too. If more shop owners would take a hands on, promotional approach, they would sell a heck of a lot more guns and now, more than ever, cater to women. Many people would like to know more but there are no ads in the local paper to offer teaching about guns, or to try guns. Want to change things, take a proactive approach. Get involved and others will follow.

Last example I can remember is several years ago but my wife was at a LaCrosse area gun shop wanting to look at a gun and there was no one there who thought she was a buyer. I walked up to the counter and there were two guys there trying to help me. Hmmmmm. Can't figure that one out. We gave each other a knowing look and walked out.

We later bought at a local gun shop where an old friend of ours worked. He treated her like a friend. Had no idea she would buy a gun that day. He spent the better part of an hour helping her look at several guns. Handling them all. Treated her with respect as a friend would.

Answered her every question politely and directly. He sold two guns that day. One, a very nice Ruger and... Oh, and a Hi-Point C-9 which she keeps close.

Finally, please refrain from destroying anyones confidence in their personal defense weapon. Second thoughts don't lead to second chances.

Spartacus

Banned
Spartacus,

If you want to be thin skinned and take it personally go ahead, but what I have found is that people can afford what is important to them. You may spend thousands of dollars a year on beer and cigarettes for example (fill in your own vice), and then cry about not being able to afford a decent sidearm.

Anyway thanks to Hardballer for being the gentleman that he is and putting perspective on it all but in my experience you pay for what you get, and if it seems too cheap it probably is.

johnny amish

Hi points are a true workhorse, never had any trouble with mine. I have found it a bit to heavy to want to carry all day. If your budget is small, you won't find a better value. $150.00 to save a life, now that's cheep health care.

M

McX

my hi points have been chumming around with me for several years now. i'm happy with their company, and have faith in the machine's ability to do the job.

B

bhancock

If you want to be thin skinned and take it personally go ahead, but what I have found is that people can afford what is important to them. You may spend thousands of dollars a year on beer and cigarettes for example (fill in your own vice), and then cry about not being able to afford a decent sidearm.

Anyway thanks to Hardballer for being the gentleman that he is and putting perspective on it all but in my experience you pay for what you get, and if it seems too cheap it probably is.[/QUOTE

Spartacus,
I am not crying about not being able to afford a decent sidearm, I already own a decent sidearm. I am also not thin skinned. I am pointing out that you have a subtle way of demeaning fellow gentlemen by put downs, I doubt that it was on purpose in this case. I also don't spend thousands of dollars on beer, cigarettes or any other vice for that matter. Most of my budget goes to take care of family properly, I have a large family, some with very special needs, and that takes a lot of monetary attention. I did not have a large budget for a sidearm to protect myself and my family then I came upon the Hi Point. Yes the price did seem too good to be true. After reading reviews and doing my research I decided they were high quality and a respectable firearm. FYI, during my research I did not find one single incident of a HP blowing up in someones hand. The one slide failure I found was later proven to be a fake. I am very satisfied that it didn't bust the budget and works great.

I guess I am just asking that since we are on the same side of the battle here, don't rate me as 2nd class cause I own a Hi Point. You can bet I have seen a lot of other nice firearms I would love to own, but at this point in my life the budget needs to go to family first.

I welcome you to come on out to my place near Mindoro to meet the family. You can even shoot my C9 and see for yourself what you think about them.

J.Gleason

Banned
" We used to have bicycle safety classes when I managed a bicycle shop in Winona."

Reminds me of the song by Bucky Covington - Different World.
"we rode bikes with no helmets and still here we are, still here we are."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AlrFOBmdVI

Since this country was founded and even before people were handling firearms with little more than some instruction or demonstration from one of their parents. And still here we are.

Save all that money from training and by yourself a new Hi Point, you will get more bang for your buck.

Just a little secret, if you want to become more proficient with your firearm, relax and quit being afraid of it.

Last edited:

johnny amish

It does not matter what kind of sidearm we carry, it matters that we unite and stand by one another for the same cause. I will proudly stand next to someone who is willing to OC a Hi Point. OC is the bond that we all share, not the piece of plastic and metal on our hip. Carry on and carry proud.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Hi Points?

By far the most important factor in selecting a firearm for defensive shooting is reliability-- are you confident the gun will fire every time you pull the trigger? The only way you'll be able to determine this is to shoot it--- a lot.

Secondary factors include: Fit -- how comfortable it is in your hand to hold and to fire (and to carry - and conceal when you can). Power -- is it chambered for a cartridge suitable for defense and controllable. Accuracy -- is it capable of "combat" accuracy? There is no need for sub 1" groups at 25 yards. It's a fact that most modern guns are more accurate than the shooter's ability. Durability-- will the gun have a decent useful lifespan (maintenance is a consideration, as is availability of parts.)

None of the factors above are necessarily covered by virtue of the least important considerations -- looks, cost, manufacturer.

Nobody will be particularly impressed simply because you have an Ed Brown Massad Ayoob Signature Edition 1911 in your hand, if you're laying on the ground oozing blood. Well, maybe some people would be. I wouldn't.

Last edited:

professor gun

If more shop owners would take a hands on, promotional approach, they would sell a heck of a lot more guns and now, more than ever, cater to women. Many people would like to know more but there are no ads in the local paper to offer teaching about guns, or to try guns. Want to change things, take a proactive approach. Get involved and others will follow.

Last example I can remember is several years ago but my wife was at a LaCrosse area gun shop wanting to look at a gun and there was no one there who thought she was a buyer. I walked up to the counter and there were two guys there trying to help me. Hmmmmm. Can't figure that one out. We gave each other a knowing look and walked out.

We later bought at a local gun shop where an old friend of ours worked. He treated her like a friend. Had no idea she would buy a gun that day. He spent the better part of an hour helping her look at several guns. Handling them all. Treated her with respect as a friend would.

Couldn't agree more, Hardballer. I hear stories like this on a regular basis in the women's pistol classes I run. There is one shop here in La Crosse that I have found will treat female gun buyers like any other customer and I do recommend that shop in my classes.

I have come around to the opinion that this is the second greatest obstacle to women getting more involved in shooting. I think the greatest obstacle is their husband, boyfriend or dad. I have seen numerous examples of the guy deciding what gun the "little woman" needs, what caliber it should be, and purchasing the gun without talking with the woman or letting her handle a variety of handguns first. Then they take her to the range, start with full power loads, insist that she can only shoot from his favorite stance, can only hold the gun one way, can only use one method of sighting (one eye open or both eyes open), etc. Even when she is consistently hitting the center of the target at 10-15 yards, they will "correct" all of these things until she can't hit anything with any reliability.

OK, rant over.