• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MAINE'S OC GET TOGETHER - April 25th in Portland!

MEJeepNut

imported post

I just found out about all this and not sure what I can do by then but I have been thinking about it and thats why I am here.Health reasons keep me from driving most of the time and they are also the reason I am interested,can't run away and need to protect my wife and myself....Will see what I can do but it will be limited and not sure I can even be there.

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

LINK: http://www.pressherald.com/news/Open-carry-gun-supporters-plan-Portland-event.html and there is going to be a story on this in tomorrows portland press herald! As for information, you can bring whatever you'd like! If you want to run that portion, be my guest! That would be great! I've got my plate pretty full now with interviews and talking to the police as well as the recreational events coordinators...

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

MEJeepNut wrote:
OK,I am here because of the artical in the PPH.What is this event promoting?Is it just a show of what kind of holsters and grips people have?Does it promote gun safety in any way?Is there any substance to this event and if not is there time to change that???????

Will there be literature there on gun safety courses and if not can someone arrange to have some???????

Will there be literature about local shooting ranges and what they have to offer and if not can someone arrange to have some ???????

Will there be anyone there to talk to people about there fears of guns but who think they need one?One who can talk sainly and softly with knowledge and leave the 2nd amendment emotion out of it ?

I came to this sight hoping for a lot more then it is,It is lacking...........A lot of people came to this sight and laughed......If you people are going to have a sight that promotes guns then you need to do better then this!With all the new gun owners in this country you need to promote safety first!!!and noboy should have to register for anything that has to do with safety,it should just be there for them to click on and links to safety instructors and state laws in every state.......
We are simply having a barbecue between friends. We may plan a larger *event* later on, but for this time, the first time. We will simply be getting together and having a few burgers as friends. Like i've been saying all along, this isn't a rally, this isn't supposed to be in anyones face. This is simply a few friends having a nice little bbq. This shouldn't be any different than say the boy scouts getting together and having a burger together.

MEJeepNut

imported post

Once the press gets ahold of it it is bigger then the scouts or just friends getting together.It needs to be treated as such on the gun owners end...

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

MEJeepNut wrote:
Once the press gets ahold of it it is bigger then the scouts or just friends getting together.It needs to be treated as such on the gun owners end...
We've got it covered :) I'm now getting a permit. *E-mail sent to Ted about getting one* And like I said, if somebody wants to bring flyers or food or grills... please do! I'm still unsure who is bringing what?!

MEJeepNut

imported post

From the PPH-"Maine law allows people to openly carry a gun without a permit, according to Shane Belanger, an organizer. The Portland event isn't meant to be a rally or protest, Belanger said, but an informational gathering."

Who is bringing the information for this informational gathering? Sorry that this is getting bigger then I assume it wasplanned to be.Someone may need to try to get a Portland cop,warden and/or state cop to talk safety.How about trying to get local gun clubs and ranges that offer safety and handling courses and competative matchesto drop off some material.Who is going to talk to the press when the TV cameras show up?

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I'm going to talk to the Press and Tv. They're going to focus on me anyways because of my age and i'm heading this up... We really want to keep it to it's current level of simply a barbecue... having a bunch of gun clubs is way too in your face. Perhaps a few fliers about safety and the laws, gun club information. We DEFINITELY do NOT want a speaker or anything, that is way too much going on. Remember, this is our first event. We want it low-key. Just because news crews will be there doesn't mean it needs to stray from it's original intended purpose. The purpose if simply a barbecue between people with a common interest. If people want more information they can simply talk to me or any other person that is there. We aren't going to look to tell people about this, if they want info they will ask, if they don't ask we will not push. We don't want this to turn into the topless march! We don't want to push information, or our opinion/views on anyone!

**THIS IS NOT A RALLY, SIMPLY A GET-TOGETHER BETWEEN FRIENDS WITH A COMMON INTEREST. WE WANT TO BE WARM AND FUZZY, NOT IN YOUR FACE. WE DO NOT HAVE AN AGENDA AND DO NOT WANT TO PUSH OUR VIEWS/OPINIONS UPON ANYONE!!!**

Thanks,
Shane Belanger

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

one for the food, as well as one for use of the land by more than 25 people. Perhaps food is a bad idea? I'm going to find out today... apparently everything has to be monitored including temperatures. Maybe I can simply put up a sign saying eat at your own risk?

SmithD

imported post

Strong work, this is a great place to start. Maybe just a few non gun owners will see regular, law abiding folks, carying guns as a positive movement in public safety instead the stigma of fear....Wish I could be there I live in the area, however, someone has to work.

boyscout399

imported post

hmm. in that Portland Sun link, Lt. Bowler from the Maine State Police licencing bureau says that weapons can be banned from municipal buildings like town halls. I cannot find a statute that allows that and I'm pretty sure state preemption would limit any ordinance made. There is a statute for courthouses, but nothing for municipal buildings.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

boyscout399 wrote:
hmm. in that Portland Sun link, Lt. Bowler from the Maine State Police licencing bureau says that weapons can be banned from municipal buildings like town halls. I cannot find a statute that allows that and I'm pretty sure state preemption would limit any ordinance made. There is a statute for courthouses, but nothing for municipal buildings.
Agree that preemption should cover municipal buildings - if such are not specifically included in some manner, they are not exempted. That is the very essence of preemption.

Yata hey

boyscout399

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
boyscout399 wrote:
Agree that preemption should cover municipal buildings - if such are not specifically included in some manner, they are not exempted.  That is the very essence of preemption.

Yata hey

Just figured the head of licensing at the State Police should know that already. I put a call in to find out if there was a statute I am unaware of.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

boyscout399 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
boyscout399 wrote:
Agree that preemption should cover municipal buildings - if such are not specifically included in some manner, they are not exempted. That is the very essence of preemption.

Yata hey

Just figured the head of licensing at the State Police should know that already. I put a call in to find out if there was a statute I am unaware of.
We are often cautioned about asking LEOs for an "opinion" on laws - this is but one example of demonstrating the reason why.

Asking them/him for a cite or reference to the law is good.

Yata hey

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Ok, well unless somebody has 80 bucks on them it's going to be you eat what you bring... because I know that I don't have the 80 bucks to get the temporary license to give food to the public. Link: http://www.portlandmaine.gov/voter/tempfoodserv.pdf
Link: http://www.portlandmaine.gov/voter/tempfse.pdf

And i'm working on getting a permit for this, just in case we have more than 25 people! Ohhhh boy. Now people are kinda throwin their weight around to try and get us to not do this.

If we want a public space permit it's 40 bucks for the first hour and it's 35 for every hour after that... Link: https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=c0cd03daf7&view=att&th=127fce784a2e2d18&attid=0.2&disp=vah&zw

Link: https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=c0cd03daf7&view=att&th=127fce784a2e2d18&attid=0.1&disp=vah&zw

Hopefully those last 2 links work!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

shanebelanger wrote:
Ok, well unless somebody has 80 bucks on them it's going to be you eat what you bring... because I know that I don't have the 80 bucks to get the temporary license to give food to the public. Link: http://www.portlandmaine.gov/voter/tempfoodserv.pdf
Link: http://www.portlandmaine.gov/voter/tempfse.pdf

And i'm working on getting a permit for this, just in case we have more than 25 people! Ohhhh boy. Now people are kinda throwin their weight around to try and get us to not do this.

If we want a public space permit it's 40 bucks for the first hour and it's 35 for every hour after that... Link: https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=c0cd03daf7&view=att&th=127fce784a2e2d18&attid=0.2&disp=vah&zw

Link: https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=c0cd03daf7&view=att&th=127fce784a2e2d18&attid=0.1&disp=vah&zw

Hopefully those last 2 links work!
I might be wrong, but I don't think you are a Temporary Food Service if you simply have a picnic - not selling or distributing food, its just for your friends/guests.

Bureaucrats like to play the you shouldn't, you must game. Wonder if you cut off the group at say 20 and told the rest that they'd have to hold their own picnic. Maybe right next door at the same time - would that work? IANAL

Your last two links both go to the same goggle sign-in page.

Yata hey

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ya thats fine, we're not getting permits anyways... we'll simply do like you said and cut it off at 20 people, the next 20 can move right next door but have no affiliation with us. I highly doubt anyone will give us any trouble seeing as all the publicity this has gotten. I just got interviewed by CNN. There will be many, many cameras there. We shall see!