• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Man With A Gun" Incident at UVA

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HankT wrote:
bigtup.gif

He comes back with a BANG!!

Welcome  back, Hawkflyer. 

Thanks Hank.

Spending time alone in the desert mountains of west Texas and southern New Mexico was very cathartic.

Regards

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

That's some ruggedand isolated country, Hawk.

You don't really think you were alone out there, do you?

Wooley

imported post

WhileI agree that compassion is important I also believe that expecting and preparing for the worst is the best way to roll. If you always expect something bad to happen, you'll never be surprised if it does.

That said, I would be CCing if I was at or near any location where a similar tragedy had happened. No reason to disarm myself, but no reason to wave it about under anyones nose either.

THAT said, I usually CC. Not only do I have big gun, I have big balls too, but I don't need to wear aerated jeans to prove that either. :cool:

ParaWarthog

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Spending time alone in the desert mountains of west Texas and southern New Mexico was very cathartic.
I am a week and a half away from a trip to the isolation and solitude of Lander, Wyoming. I'll be going solo, too, as it's my last vacation before I begin working for a living until retirement. Additionally, it will be my first open carry experience. I appreciate your account of your trip, as I hope mine will be very similar.

(P.S. I bought a Glock 20 [10mm] last week and some Double Tap ammo. since I'll be in bear country)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
No LEO229 is not wrong about this. But he is confronted by a lot of resistance from insensitive sots who have obviously never been where he and others have been.
Ouch! :)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've mixed feelings on it. I'm thinking that CC on VT campus would be wisest at this time--avoid hassle and insensitivity. Yet, I'm unwilling to close the door on anyone who must visit campus and is either too young to have a CHP or hasn't gotten one yet.

From a 2A activism perspective, there isn't much point in undoing your own efforts by stirring up antagonism from the very people you're trying to convert or educate. Just keep it inthe press and preachthat thefirst 32 deceased and all the wounded deserved a chance to defend their lives.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ParaWarthog wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
I am a week and a half away from a trip to the isolation and solitude of Lander, Wyoming.  I'll be going solo, too, as it's my last vacation before I begin working for a living until retirement.  Additionally, it will be my first open carry experience.  I appreciate your account of your trip, as I hope mine will be very similar.

(P.S.  I bought a Glock 20 [10mm] last week and some Double Tap ammo. since I'll be in bear country)

HankT - Well if I was not alone, the other folks were very well hidden. Now as to wildlife, I know I was not alone. The "Mule Deer" joined me for breakfast almost every morning, and long about sunset they would show up again just to check things out. I know there were some big cats around too. I never saw them but I saw lots of fresh sign.

Parawarthog - I had a Para Ord 12.45 for personal defense while on the road, but once in the bush I had a 4" .500 Magnum for mountain wear (treeed areas) , and a 3" .44 Mag for flatter ground (open desert).

I was moving a lot between Texas and New Mexico, and the rules are very different between these two locations. In NM open carry is allowed, but they do recognize a VA CHP. In Texas, open carry is NOT allowed, but they also recognize a VA CHP. Even profiling a handgun through your cover garment will get you in trouble in Texas as a violation of the OC restrictions. Also Texas has some odd laws on knives. In fact the Bowie knife is specifically outlawed. Who would have thought?

But where I was I went for many days without seeing another human, or even hearing any for that matter. I was in the Brokeoff and Guadeloupe Mountain areas and it is just plain remote. So basically, since you can see or hear anyone coming from a long way off, you could pretty much do what you wanted, and "get legal" before anyone could see you. For me that meant do whatever felt right at the time.

When I was in the city, for the most part I was in Carlsbad NM. That can cause problems. You are not allowed to carry into any establishment that sells alcohol for either on premises or off premisses consumption. In NM a lot of gas stations, mini marts, all Walmarts, and a lot of less likely places sell liquor, and there is now way to know before you get inside in many cases. So if you had to go inside for any reason, you had to disarm. Open carry is legal in NM, but it is "discouraged" by a lot of LEOs. In fact I was told (can't verify this) in Albuquerque they outright harass people who open carry.

In any case driving across Texas, I CCed all the time, and just never went into places that sell alcohol. In NM, I CCed in town, and OCed in the bush. I had no problems at all, and in fact was encouraged to carry by both the local Forest Rangers, and Sheriff's in NM. Even the Ranger in Guadeloupe Mountains National Park told me I could bring the guns into the park, if they were safely stored, and they were willing to provide me a carry permit for backwoods areas.

To be sure, some of this was because I was involved in searching for a downed aircraft, and the controlling agencies were more then cooperative in assisting me for that purpose. All of them know I was not there to hunt, but might encounter problems alone in the back country. This would be especially true if I found the airplane. (bears and lions eat things they find, and will fight to keep them)

I did get a car safe to lock up guns I was not using at any particular time, and also for crossing Arkansas. Arkansas does not recognize VA CHPs and they do not allow open carry. So obviously I did not stop in that state, and kept most things locked up as I crossed. However the safe was handy and could be opened in a matter of about 2 seconds to allow access, (or additions) if necessary.

If you are driving to Wyoming, I would recommend checking at Packing.org for all the states you are passing through to verify all the laws you might encounter. Of course if you are flying all you have to worry about is the airports and two states at either end of the trip. But you should not have any problems in Wyoming, i think they are fairly Firearms friendly.

You might rethink your caliber choice for carry in Wyoming back country. Where I was there were black bears (almost harmless really). Wyoming has Grizzlies too. The first 10mm will get the bear looking around. By your third shot he will figure out where it is coming from. By the time he gets to you, you will probably need to reload, and unless you got real lucky, the bear will be pretty pissed by the time he gets to you. About an hour after he finishes you off, he might start to get weak from blood loss, and may rest for a few days. You would be better off with a .44 Mag, 454 Casull, or 500 magnum. Even better still a short "Scout rifle".

I was told that you should wear a small bell to make noise so bears know you are coming, and carry pepper spray for bear attacks when in bear country. But the most important thing is to be able to tell the difference between black bear and Grizzly sign. Black bear droppings have a lot of berry seeds and leaves in them. Grizzly bear droppings contain a lot of small bells and smell like pepper.

Regards

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Citizen wrote:
I've mixed feelings on it.  I'm thinking that CC on VT campus would be wisest at this time--avoid hassle and insensitivity.  Yet, I'm unwilling to close the door on anyone who must visit campus and is either too young to have a CHP or hasn't gotten one yet.

From a 2A activism perspective, there isn't much point in undoing your own efforts by stirring up antagonism from the very people you're trying to convert or educate.  Just keep it in the press and preach that the first 32 deceased and all the wounded deserved a chance to defend their lives. 

+1

I did not mean to suggest that everyone disarm. CC would be very appropriate. All I was saying is that this is not the time to go to VT and flash firearms at people. There is no positive purpose in doing so, and it is very insensitive to people who may have real issues they are trying to work through. Just give it a few months.

The place to wage this battle has now moved to the media and the legislature, not the campus of VT. The VT battle was fought two weeks ago and 32 people lost that fight. Now is the time for all of us to let them heal, and take up the fight to restore self defense rights to these people in the future.

But I can assure you that open carry in and around the VT campus right now will be counter productive to the pro rights side of this issue. It will be used by the press to portray guns and gun owners in a negative light. That in turn will be used in the legislature to promote more, not less, restrictions.

Regards

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
...open carry in and around the VT campus right now....will be used by the press to portray guns and gun owners in a negative light. That in turn will be used in the legislature to promote more, not less, restrictions.
Good point!

LEO 229

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
...open carry in and around the VT campus right now....will be used by the press to portray guns and gun owners in a negative light. That in turn will be used in the legislature to promote more, not less, restrictions.
Good point!
Exactly!!!

ParaWarthog

imported post

Hawkflyer, thanks so much for your account of your trip! That sounded like an incredibly unique experience, and you were darn well prepared for anything out there. I wasn't aware of New Mexico's laws pertaining to carry in places that sell alcohol. I guess if you walk by a case of beer, your gun might get drunk, jump out of the holster, and start shooting . . .

I particularly like the part about being able to carry as you wish when you're in the woods and then "get legal" if necessary.

In terms of my transportation, I'll be flying out there. I've flown with guns several times before, and I'm amazed how easy the process is, assuming you follow the TSA SOP.

In terms of the 10mm vs. a S&W 500, I promise I'll have a S&W 500 one day. I bought the G20 for CC and to keep in my bedside safe, and I just can't afford a gun specifically for being in the woods (I'm just out of college and it'll be a while before I enjoy "luxuries" such as that). It turns out that I won't be spending as much time in the deep woods as I planned, so hopefully mountain lions that are getting bad in Fremont Country, Wy are the only things I would have to worry about.

When I'm on four wheelers out there and go way back into the woods, I have a Benelli Nova 12 gauge loaded with magnum 000 buckshot and magnum slugs, alternating in the extended magazine.

Thanks again for your account, and I hope mine is very relaxing!

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ParaWarthog wrote:
Hawkflyer, thanks so much for your account of your trip!  That sounded like an incredibly unique experience, and you were darn well prepared for anything out there.  I wasn't aware of New Mexico's laws pertaining to carry in places that sell alcohol.  I guess if you walk by a case of beer, your gun might get drunk, jump out of the holster, and start shooting . . .

I particularly like the part about being able to carry as you wish when you're in the woods and then "get legal" if necessary.

In terms of my transportation, I'll be flying out there.  I've flown with guns several times before, and I'm amazed how easy the process is, assuming you follow the TSA SOP.

In terms of the 10mm vs. a S&W 500, I promise I'll have a S&W 500 one day.  I bought the G20 for CC and to keep in my bedside safe, and I just can't afford a gun specifically for being in the woods (I'm just out of college and it'll be a while before I enjoy "luxuries" such as that).  It turns out that I won't be spending as much time in the deep woods as I planned, so hopefully mountain lions that are getting bad in Fremont Country, Wy are the only things I would have to worry about.

When I'm on four wheelers out there and go way back into the woods, I have a Benelli Nova 12 gauge loaded with magnum 000 buckshot and magnum slugs, alternating in the extended magazine.

Thanks again for your account, and I hope mine is very relaxing!

The shotgun will serve you better than any sidearm for serious predator defense if its handy. Moving on a 4 wheeler you are a more likely target for a big cat than a bear, so by all means take the 10mm with you. It may save your life in close quarters with a lion.

Whatever you do. If attacked by a lion, fight back and fight back hard. While they are dangerous, fast, stealthy, and will kill for food, they do not like their prey to fight back and people who do usually survive to tell the tale.

Have a fun and safe trip. I look forward to hearing how it went when you get back.

Regards

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

leprechaun117 wrote:
http://www.dailyprogress.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=CDP/MGArticle/CDP_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173350915695&path=

editied down:

"Frightened reports of an armed person or persons at the University of Virginia prompted a massive police response early this morning. The scare proved to be the result of a student film, and one person was arrested.

Christopher A. Smith, 19, of Dillard dormitory, was charged with brandishing a firearm after authorities determined he had been carrying a BB gun as part of a class filmmaking project, according to Capt. Michael Coleman of the university police.

The first phone calls for help came in around or sometime after 11 p.m. Monday. Soon authorities began systematically searching the McCormick Road building, some with pistols drawn and others armed with shotguns. They went hallway by hallway and floor by floor, uncertain what they would find.

No projectile weapons of any kind are allowed on the university campus, including BB guns."

I was on campus till 11ish, with my gun on my hip :shock:It was my understanding that UVA campus was public property, and could not be regulated outside of state laws? I'm hoping they are only refering to students while on campus, but a clarification would be amazing.

I think the big question to ask yourself before going on school properly while open carrying is if the school is PUBLIC OR PRIVATE, if it is a PUBLIC institution you most likely cannot go on campus open carrying.

Since Public Universities receiving their funding directly from the state, it would be more of a government institution and could be considered government property, open carrying would probably be a bad move, but you may get charges dropped if you had a good lawyer.

However if it is a private institution, where all of its funding comes directly from tuition and not tax dollars, you probably could open carry, as long as all the requirements were met, and the institution did not prohibit firearms.

I would say open carry is a no go, I went to Purdue University for three years, and was just there a week ago to pick up my brother, I left the gun in the car, I didn't even want to wear a holster into the dorm, as I knew cops would be on me like flies on shit.

If you feel you must carry a firearm with you on campus, probably a good idea to conceal, at least you lessen your chances of an altercation with police, unless you are doing cartwheels and handstands - people might see it :)

Pretty much just a common sense matter.

Ryan

leprechaun117

imported post

openryan wrote:

if it is a PUBLIC institution you most likely cannot go on campus open carrying.

Since Public Universities receiving their funding directly from the state, it would be more of a government institution and could be considered government property, open carrying would probably be a bad move, but you may get charges dropped if you had a good lawyer.

Did preemption not take care of this like 5 years ago? Carrying on state property is guaranteed... (save for schools, courts and such.)

I carried on UVA campus again this evening. Not a word, as always.

edit:

from wikipedia: "Under Virginia code, localities may no longer regulate the firearms with sole exception of regulation of discharge of firearms"

from VCDL: " Virginia law prohibits the carrying of firearms in courthouses, on K-12 school property, and in places of religious worship while a religious service is in progress. Other than these restrictions, Virginia does not have any law prohibiting law-abiding citizens from legally carrying a firearm in a public place in open view (open carry)."

actual code (taken from packing.org):

"Localities can regulate discharge of a firearm or airgun and they can regulate hunting. That is about it. Here is the preemption law:

§ 15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies.

A. No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by § 15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof other than those expressly authorized by statute. For purposes of this section, a statute that does not refer to firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, shall not be construed to provide express authorization.

Nothing in this section shall prohibit a locality from adopting workplace rules relating to terms and conditions of employment of the workforce. Nothing in this section shall prohibit a law-enforcement officer, as defined in § 9.1-101 from acting within the scope of his duties.

The provisions of this section applicable to a locality shall also apply to any authority or to a local governmental entity, including a department or agency, but not including any local or regional jail or juvenile detention facility.

B. Any local ordinance, resolution or motion adopted prior to the effective date of this act governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, other than those expressly authorized by statute, is invalid."

I'm pretty sure a public university isa "public place."

If said university were private, the decision would be up to the property owner, and the carrier could be asked to leave the grounds.