• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MKE Gal needs help with a lawyer

KansasKraut

Mastantuono Law Office

Wow, I just checked out her law firm's page and they are absolutely the best guys for the job. They represented the pizza delivery guy who was cleared of CCW charges after defending himself. Good luck to you, MKE Gal.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
WOW, disinterested party here but don't shoot the messenger!

Capn Nemo,

Sir, all due respect, what is it you are concerned with regarding WCI?

The decision to distribute funds is a very serious one when it is from a politically based org such as WCI.

While I am not going to bother with details, a lot more than whats "fair" and what is just have to be considered.

The facts are fairly simple, but the case is quite complex. While I am unfamiliar with the case and find press reports to be more inaccurate that just about any other source, it does seem to be true, she took a gun to church (a fairly good idea actually, there are a lot of church shootings and knifing) after church when she got into her car, in some form or another she cased the weapon, someone from the church called in a person with a gun, the police pulled her over, discovered the gun, felt it was a violation of the law, cited or arrested (not sure which) and the woman involved has decided to fight the charges.

Everything beyond that is speculation from my view and it is being talked about way too much for her defense.

While you may never quite agree, it is not uncommon at all for an org to have to make decisions they can not discuss for reasons that are not popular with membership. Ask yourself this, what is the penalty faced by the accused? It is my understanding of your laws 220 bucks and possible forfeiture of a 500 to 600 pistol, under a grand overall. That is a while lot less than litigation time for a decent firm. The odds of this being settled are extremely high if that is indeed the truth, it simply does not make fiscal sense to go another direction without regard for principal, live to fight another day applies.

From the naked eye of a person whom has no dog in this hunt, I can assure you WCI has been far more transparent than I think they should as they have no indication of a legal defense fund on their webspace and in reality, looks like they have about 50 "founding members" aka 5k in donations, take out the fees for incorp, webspace, and a CPA to handle the taxes, they are trying to survive and help change things, there is no massive "war chest" to start handling lawyer fees for litigation.

Politics are a lot of poker playing, there are no rules, and while it may be frustrating that WCI will not show the members all of the cards, it is part of the game and instead of condemning them for it, they should be commended.

M

McX

wow, yoinked this off the tenn. forum

now here's something we could use in wisconsin. swiped it off the tennessee forum. going to plaster it around our forum, for all to see, and think about:

You mean along the lines of this: Section 5: Tennessee Code Annotated 39-17-1351 is amended by adding the following new section (3) No law enforcement officer may forcibly detain an armed citizen merely for the possession of a holstered firearm. Any law enforcement officer within this state who so approaches and forcibly detains any citizen merely for the possession of a holstered handgun, without having reasonable articulable suspicion that the citizen had already, was in the process of or was about to commit a crime shall be guilty of a misdemeanor offense punishable by up to 11 months and 29 days in jail.

MKEgal

Folks, there's a limit to what I can say without my lawyer(s) figuratively knocking my block off.
And since I know this forum isn't populated only with people I know & trust, I'd be a complete & utter lunatic to say publicly much more than I have already.

I was misquoted by the Brookfield 'paper', in both articles. I wonder why "K L Klein" reworded & reposted it the next day? (Whatever happened to unbiased & honest reporting of facts? Why repeat errors?) Wonder how I can get a retraction, or if that'd just invite more problems than it'd solve...
Thank you to the people who have posted comments there in defense of me! Wow.
(FYI, her contact info can be found via the Brookfield Now page: Katie Klein; kklein@cninow.com; (262) 446-6601)

I've been in touch with both Nik (WI Carry) & Shawn (ICarry), and agree with their reasoning about what to do and when. They both know the whole story, and are being supportive as best they can. So are many of you. I appreciate that.

M

McX

i think i heard once that length of time gets you jail, over gets you prison, but i'm not sure.

added on edit; clarification for cobras question.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Folks, there's a limit to what I can say without my lawyer(s) figuratively knocking my block off.
And since I know this forum isn't populated only with people I know & trust, I'd be a complete & utter lunatic to say publicly much more than I have already.

I was misquoted by the Brookfield 'paper', in both articles. I wonder why "K L Klein" reworded & reposted it the next day? (Whatever happened to unbiased & honest reporting of facts? Why repeat errors?) Wonder how I can get a retraction, or if that'd just invite more problems than it'd solve...
Thank you to the people who have posted comments there in defense of me! Wow.
(FYI, her contact info can be found via the Brookfield Now page: Katie Klein; kklein@cninow.com; (262) 446-6601)

I've been in touch with both Nik (WI Carry) & Shawn (ICarry), and agree with their reasoning about what to do and when. They both know the whole story, and are being supportive as best they can. So are many of you. I appreciate that.

MKE Gal,

Don't worry about it. You should know by now that the members of this forum process information in their own way. Personally I am behind you and I think you need to keep quiet until the DA decides what he's going to do with your case. After that is all said and done, you need to take them to the cleaners for violating your 4th amendment rights.

Maybe we you can come to a get together and we can all talk about it and hopefully laugh about it.

Anyhow, good luck.

hardballer

MKE Gal,

Don't worry about it. You should know by now that the members of this forum process information in their own way. Personally I am behind you and I think you need to keep quiet until the DA decides what he's going to do with your case. After that is all said and done, you need to take them to the cleaners for violating your 4th amendment rights.

Maybe we you can come to a get together and we can all talk about it and hopefully laugh about it.

Anyhow, good luck.

Ditto

M

McX

dropped in here to mention oc coffee event being planned for last sunday of the month, starbucks, washington ave. location- racine. good place to talk further, face to face.

J.Gleason

Banned
The question remains whether their viewing the encased firearm on the seat of the vehicle along with the 911 complaint gives them RAS to open the case to inspect its contents.

Wasn't this discussed once before in a different thread? If I remember correctly the answer was "No."

Seeing a firearm case is not probable cause for a search. There is nothing illegal about transporting either a firearms case or an encased firearm. Besides she did not consent to any searches and they had no probable cause to search or RAS for that matter.

ETA: If it were not for their illegal search, they would never have known the gun was loaded. I believe that evidence will not be admissible.
I also believe they will pull the qualified immunity crap as well.

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

Wasn't this discussed once before in a different thread? If I remember correctly the answer was "No."

Seeing a firearm case is not probable cause for a search. There is nothing illegal about transporting either a firearms case or an encased firearm. Besides she did not consent to any searches and they had no probable cause to search or RAS for that matter.

ETA: If it were not for their illegal search, they would never have known the gun was loaded. I believe that evidence will not be admissible.
I also believe they will pull the qualified immunity crap as well.

In addition, if it wasn't for an illegal search they wouldn't of known there was even a gun in the fun case.

I was reading a CA thread where they have a law that allows LEO to check to see if a weapon is loaded. One of them was going to walk around with a locked gun case with nothing in it and if stopped refuse consent for the check and then see if they would force the issue and if so, they would open the case without a warrant and find nothing in it. Not sure it would work but the same general idea. I assume I can have an empty gun case anywhere in my car I want, right? LEO would have to either get my consent or violate my rights to determine it had a weapon in it.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
MKEgal NOT quoted by Katie Klein! The 'parishioners' were quoted.

I was misquoted by the Brookfield 'paper', in both articles. I wonder why "K L Klein" reworded & reposted it the next day?
Please be more careful with charges of mis-quoting. The parishioners mis-quoted or, more likely made up from whole cloth, justifying their actions.

"According to the (Brookfield) police report:" precedes any use of quotation marks in the article and its update.

M

McX

yeah boy, just love it; go to Church, and practice religious freedom guarenteed by the constitution, speak in Church with the freedom of speech guarenteed by the constitution, but don't practice, or allow any of the other rights!

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
I commented on the church at BrookfieldNow, Katie Klein's article comments

Doug Huffman said:
If the congregants do not trust one another, armed or disarmed, then it's time to find another congregation. This battle has been fought already in e.g. South Carolina and the logic of trust works well.

"Anti-sophist" hasn't read much, or enough to understand the varying and contrasting uses of 'sophist'. The original Greek use was as "wise one", but only until Plato condemned the Sophists as 'specious' (falsely attractive). This "Anti-sophist" is worse than specious, being fallacious and fallaciousing our 'members' of the forum.
Doug Huffman said:
Luke 22:36 He told us to sell our clothes to buy a sword!

It is clear that their 'moderator' is not familiar with the near homophones 'fellatio' and 'fallacious'. Heh heh heh.

Last edited:

J.Gleason

Banned
yeah boy, just love it; go to Church, and practice religious freedom guarenteed by the constitution, speak in Church with the freedom of speech guarenteed by the constitution, but don't practice, or allow any of the other rights!

Not sure about that McX, check out this email I received.

This should light your fire...

Sent by Retired Vice Admiral Bob Scarborough, of Arlington , Va.

"I wanted to give you all some disturbing information on our wonderful president. I work with the Catch-A-Dream Foundation which provides hunting and fishing trips to children with life-threatening illnesses. This past weekend we had our annual banquet / fundraiser event in Starkville . "As a part of our program, we had scheduled Sgt. 1st Class Greg Stube, a highly decorated U.S. Army Green Beret and inspirational speaker who was severely injured while deployed overseas and didn't have much of a chance for survival". Greg is stationed at Ft. Bragg , NC and received permission from his commanding officer to come speak at our function. Everything was on go until Obama made a policy that NO U.S. SERVICEMAN CAN SPEAK AT ANY FAITH-BASED PUBLIC EVENTS ANYMORE. Needless to say, Greg had to cancel his speaking event with us.. Didn't know if anyone else was aware of this new policy. Wonder what kind of news we all will receive next. You're just starting to see the Obamanation. Is your religion on the list next.? I don't know about you, but this makes me furious.

This is just how the nazis did it in the 30's: slowly, one step at a time. If you don't see the similarities you are truly blind.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Not sure about that McX, check out this email I received.

This should light your fire...

Sent by Retired Vice Admiral Bob Scarborough, of Arlington , Va.

"I wanted to give you all some disturbing information on our wonderful president. I work with the Catch-A-Dream Foundation which provides hunting and fishing trips to children with life-threatening illnesses. This past weekend we had our annual banquet / fundraiser event in Starkville . "As a part of our program, we had scheduled Sgt. 1st Class Greg Stube, a highly decorated U.S. Army Green Beret and inspirational speaker who was severely injured while deployed overseas and didn't have much of a chance for survival". Greg is stationed at Ft. Bragg , NC and received permission from his commanding officer to come speak at our function. Everything was on go until Obama made a policy that NO U.S. SERVICEMAN CAN SPEAK AT ANY FAITH-BASED PUBLIC EVENTS ANYMORE. Needless to say, Greg had to cancel his speaking event with us.. Didn't know if anyone else was aware of this new policy. Wonder what kind of news we all will receive next. You're just starting to see the Obamanation. Is your religion on the list next.? I don't know about you, but this makes me furious.

This is just how the nazis did it in the 30's: slowly, one step at a time. If you don't see the similarities you are truly blind.

MKE Gal asked that we don't use this event to start religion bashing. I have some very strong views as well but can we please keep this on topic?

I would appreciate it as well.

Thanks!

M

McX

yep, Mr. Gleason, King Obama says.............he can still speak freely, just no one else can!

J.Gleason

Banned
MKE Gal asked that we don't use this event to start religion bashing. I have some very strong views as well but can we please keep this on topic?

I would appreciate it as well.

Thanks!

How is this religion bashing? It refers to your right to free speech no matter what religion.
Free speech and all other rights may be exercised in any church as there is no laws prohibiting them.
There is apparently a presidential order prohibiting free speech in church according to Vice Admiral Scarborough.

So if he can't change the constitution, he will just issue Presidential Orders instead.