• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Open Carry Dinner?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Instead of dinner I suggest we call it:

National
OPEN CARRY GUN DAY

Insure Your Right to Self-Protection
Not a bad thought, but if it's on a work day many (most?) cannot carry at work. :(

Too doesn't that send a message that we are making TODAY an OC day, when everyday should be an OC day?

Hmmmm........
National Open Carry Awareness Day
, maybe?

Last edited:

Ruger95

Not a bad thought, but if it's on a work day many (most?) cannot carry at work. :(

Too doesn't that send a message that we are making TODAY an OC day, when everyday should be an OC day?

Hmmmm........
, maybe?
The exact wording is going to be debatable. I think that some form of GUN needs to be included or one might wonder what is being carried. We know, but we are trying to inform the uninformed. I think we need more input on this. I do understand your point though.

swinokur

Activist Member

Hmmmm........
, maybe?

How about National Open Carry Freedom Day? two definitions for freedom in one title. Freedom and Freedom to OC

Thoughts?

swinokur

Activist Member
Is the word firearm in the title better than gun? Gun makes the sheeple view us a "nut cases" The word firearms also will help establish a connection between "bear arms" from the 2A and seems less threatening. Thoughts?

Example

Nation Firearm Freedom Open Carry Awareness Day

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
..................................................:uhoh:

National Open Carry Gun Freedom Awareness Day Dinner Celebration.

Mechman

After the New Year would be good!

I know that here in Virginia we are planning an event during January 17th called "Lobby Day" in Richmond. A dinner that evening would be a wonderful way to close out the day. This "Lobby Day" effort is promoted by the Virginia Citizens Defense League.

Definetly keep this thread updated as to when an actual date is selected. I am in agreement that we first need to get past the holidays for sure.

Last edited:

45acpForMe

I love the idea.

Someone from each dinner should tally up the total bill and report it to a state thread. We can then total for the 40+ states the dollar amount spent in 2A friendly restaurants.

I would like them to include that total in the news report!

I would also like to tally the number of people if possible so that when we write to an anti restaurant about lost business we can reference the news report and our tallies rather than guess at percentages of lost business.

B

Bikenut

My offering for your consideration:

"National Right to Keep and Bear Arms Day"

The name works for the awareness portion..... the folks open carrying on that day, whether to dinner or just out and about, works for exposing the public to legal open carry.

Both work for the media.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I love the idea.

Someone from each dinner should tally up the total bill and report it to a state thread. We can then total for the 40+ states the dollar amount spent in 2A friendly restaurants.

I would like them to include that total in the news report!

I would also like to tally the number of people if possible so that when we write to an anti restaurant about lost business we can reference the news report and our tallies rather than guess at percentages of lost business.

Fantastic idea - the power of numbers.
How about a tally of everything that gun owners spent over the course of the entire day? Possible to do? Would require significant coordination.

My offering for your consideration:

"National Right to Keep and Bear Arms Day"

The name works for the awareness portion..... the folks open carrying on that day, whether to dinner or just out and about, works for exposing the public to legal open carry.

Both work for the media.

Bingo! National Right to Keep and Bear Arms Day

That works for all aspects, POVs, and allows other pro organizations to participate on equal footing. This could grow well beyond OCDO. A central theme that unites ALL gun owners.

eye95

Fantastic idea - the power of numbers.
How about a tally of everything that gun owners spent over the course of the entire day? Possible to do? Would require significant coordination.

Bingo! National Right to Keep and Bear Arms Day

That works for all aspects, POVs, and allows other pro organizations to participate on equal footing. This could grow well beyond OCDO. A central theme that unites ALL gun owners.

R...K...BA...Day.

It's got a beat. And you can dance to it.

February 13th is a Sunday and gives us three months lead time for planning and publicity. If Sunday is a bad day for a lot of folks, then I would suggest one day during the week following.

Let's fix the date so we can get to planning.

JoeSparky

Centurion
If we can find a national chain that is OC friendly in all states that allow OC then by all means that would be perfect. Anyone have any ideas of a chain that would be on board (Starbucks Excepted. LOL)?
I haven't read all 3 pages of this thread YET, but I ain't eating dinner at McD's even IF it is an OCDO NATIONAL EVENT! LOL

Snakemathis

I haven't read all 3 pages of this thread YET, but I ain't eating dinner at McD's even IF it is an OCDO NATIONAL EVENT! LOL

I could not agree more! lol.

Sunday seems like a great day. Few people will be working, and seeing as its right before Valintines Day a LOT of people will be out getting last minute gifts for loved ones (including us which would help with the financial tally). Could we get a certain person on each state forum to be in charge of the financial total for their state via email? Each person totals thier spending for the day and then emails it to the person responsible for thier state total, we could then start a thread for each state to list its total and add it all up? Just an idea as to how to handle that aspect if we want to go that route. I would be more than happy to do the Arizona total. Math is a STRONG point for me. :p

Would a Sunday be a good night for media attention? I'm sure that our main goal will most likely be the public in which we interact with, but the media is a great way to reach people who want to stay home during the holidays.

scot623

The media is key to this idea. Without the media, we will barely make a dent in the publics continuousness. Although Sundays do make great days for events, weekdays seem to get much better media exposure. I want no part of Valentines Day(we deserve our own recognition), so Monday Feb. 21st could make a good day.

Ruby

I think Sunday, Feb. 13th is a good day for it. I believe the 21st is a holiday, President's Day; don't know for sure, haven't looked at next year's calendar. But it's usually celebrated right around that time. I think a weekend day is better due to people's work schedules. I would be more inclined to do this on a weekend than during the week when I have been working and am too tired to go out to dinner. Our local group of OCers meet a few times a month on the weekend, it's just easier for everyone. Great idea, BTW; I fully support it. Our local group was talking about it at our get together this morning.

Prophet

February is kinda cold

I like the RKBA Day idea but i suggest a different more fitting day for it though...and that for two reasons.

The first is that February is kinda chilly for those of us of the northern persuasion. Though i rarely wear a coat so OC'ing still works for me, others may not be so hardy. Secondly is for the day i suggest changing it to...March 15th...also known as the Ides of March...also known as a day tyrants should be wary of. Has a poetic ring to it. Happens to be on a Tuesday next year.

eye95

I like the RKBA Day idea but i suggest a different more fitting day for it though...and that for two reasons.

The first is that February is kinda chilly for those of us of the northern persuasion. Though i rarely wear a coat so OC'ing still works for me, others may not be so hardy. Secondly is for the day i suggest changing it to...March 15th...also known as the Ides of March...also known as a day tyrants should be wary of. Has a poetic ring to it. Happens to be on a Tuesday next year.

The concern about the winter months has been mentioned before. Some up north have said, too cold. Some have said, no problem. However, it is important that we get the ball rolling on this and kick of the first event relatively soon, and that means winter.

Once we have the first annual RKBA Day, we can move the date to a more permanent one in the summer. I suggested Colt's B-day, July 19.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Personal opinion - would rather project this as a large, normal segment of the population standing up to be counted than as a Et tu Brute kind of thing. Not us against them, just us doing what we do responsibly.

Agree that February might be very winter like yet - some of our worst weather hits here in February. Think spring time. Isn't the SCCC planning a major empty holster date in April 2011? Coordination/timing of this events could elevate both.

Ruger95

To get the best turnout we have to have good weather. And I'm not talking about just the OCers who might brave the cold... what about the non-OCers we want to cater too. There may not be any one except us. It could be near zero exposure. Isn't it public exposure we want? Thats the whole point of this event as far as I'm concerned. We want to interact with the public and the media. We can have many regular get togethers any time but this is supposed to be a special annual event. If I'm wrong let me know and I'll shut up. :banghead:

Ruby

I don't see a problem with the weather or it being cold unless you are planning on eating outside!:D I don't know about anyone else, but when I go out to eat in a restuarant in the wintertime, I take my coat off once inside. In fact I wore a jacket this morning, but took it off in the restuarant.

However, I do see a problem if CC isn't legal where you live. We will not find a date that will work for everyone. I plan on participating whenever it's held!