• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NoVA (Northern Virginia) - OC reports

OC_va_gal

Joking continued...

Not sure why but I got a bad vibe from him but I think that y'all have a point. If I'm pressed for time CCIng might be better rather than sit there than educate, but screw it I'm going OC most of the time to prove that law abiding citizens can carry openly without a ruckus. Maybe if he sees me there regularly OCing he'll realize that it's ok and no one is going to harm him by going about doing their every day things. Education and making it a regular occurrence will ease people's minds. We have the right and I'm going to use it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Not sure why but I got a bad vibe from him but I think that y'all have a point. If I'm pressed for time CCIng might be better rather than sit there than educate, but screw it I'm going OC most of the time to prove that law abiding citizens can carry openly without a ruckus. Maybe if he sees me there regularly OCing he'll realize that it's ok and no one is going to harm him by going about doing their every day things. Education and making it a regular occurrence will ease people's minds. We have the right and I'm going to use it.

:D...
icon14.png

andrewf

Looking to OC for first time

I just turned 18 a few months ago and am hoping to start OCing soon. I have a several friends (they're in their 20's and 30's) who CC all the time. Just wondering what advice any of you would like to give before I go out and purchase my first gun. It can be anything from what type to buy to where not to carry.

Thanks in advance!

nuc65

Activist Member
I just turned 18 a few months ago and am hoping to start OCing soon. I have a several friends (they're in their 20's and 30's) who CC all the time. Just wondering what advice any of you would like to give before I go out and purchase my first gun. It can be anything from what type to buy to where not to carry.

Thanks in advance!

Be above reproach in all.

Buy a personal recorder first, use it always.

Don't carry where prohibited by law.

Pay attention to your surroundings.

Take a defensive carry type class, learn the law, tactics and avoid trouble.

vt800c

Not sure if this counts.

Went to the gun show and picked up a nice little chrome .32 semiauto from a private sale. Didn't feel good carrying it around so went and got a belt holster before we left the hall.

OC'd to McDonalds for a free berry smoothie (I had a coupon) then went out to Reines RVs in Manassas to look at what they had. (Am thinking of getting a pop-up that I can use to keep gear and take out places on relatively short notice. but thats besides the point.)

no issues. I doubt anyone notices something that small.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to OCDO. As NUC65 said Be Above Reproach and get a Digital Voice Recorder. Also know the law. And consider joining VCDL (www.vcdl.org) at least sign up for the free newsletter.

papa bear

Thanks in advance!

get ready for some stink from the anti-gun CCers.

but, i would suggest that you start a new thread, maybe in the VA forum. you'll get more hits

jwinkeler

Just picked up my lunch from bricks pizza in centreville, the owner is very nice and has no issues with customers open carrying and likes to see it, plus he just makes good pizza

Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Carried at Fort Hunt Park on the GW Memorial Parkway Sunday night for the concert in the park. Same park ranger as previous years, so nothing even said. The first time we OC'd there, she remarked about exercising our rights; it was a positive conversation.

I don't think anyone else even noticed.

Steeler-gal

Fairfax County has concerts in the park -- we have Friday nights in Mt Vernon (and Saturday in Lorton).

Where in Lorton?

==========================================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

zoom6zoom

Stopped in today at Potomac Cobbler on Rt. 1 in Woodbridge as I needed a new pair of shoes. If you have special needs such as being diabetic these are really good folks to deal with. Good repairs, too.

Anyway, the young lady serving me asked if I had been out chasing bad guys, which of course led to the usual discussion. She didn't know about OC, but the owner joined our conversation, said he had several other customers who OC, and we had a really nice chat. I'll definitely put them in the "friendly" column. http://www.potomaccobblerfootcomfortcenter.com/index.htm

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Pleasant conversation with the cashier at Walgreens in Hybla Valley. He was surprised that "just anyone" can carry a gun, and said some people would take advantage of having a gun to show power. I noted that most people who are going to go on those trips aren't going to advertise they have it, so someone just going about their normal business is probably pretty safe. He has something more to think about now.

Steeler-gal

Back from vacay and back in a state that allows OC -- Ahhhhh.

I'm wearing a belly band thee days because my summer pants are not "gun-friendly" and suspenders are just not my style. Not much of the gun shows but I can manage a good IWB-look with it.
Anyway ...

I went to Dogtopia of Alexandria to pick up the beasts from their vacation (sheesh their vacay cost more than mine. :cry: ) No one said anything when I paid or when I walked up the street a little bit with the dogs before putting them in the Escape to head home.

Went to the PetSmart in Woodbridge. Notice there was a 5.11 tactical store next door. After dropping my purchases in the vehicle I took the very adorable, very well behaved beasts back to the store to look around. Was asked to leave almost immediately. While they allow guns, they do not allow dogs. :mad: :mad: :mad: Most of the times I'm in that shopping center I have the beasts with me so I may never get to see what kinds of items they keep in stock.

Stopped in at the UPS Store in Lorton VA to pick up my mail and the 7-11 for some soda. No incidents at either location.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip-- Notice there was a 5.11 tactical store next door. After dropping my purchases in the vehicle I took the very adorable, very well behaved beasts back to the store to look around. Was asked to leave almost immediately. While they allow guns, they do not allow dogs. :mad: :mad: :mad: Most of the times I'm in that shopping center I have the beasts with me so I may never get to see what kinds of items they keep in stock.

Prolly because guns don't soil the floor or leave crawly, itchy critters on the merchandise. Of course, I'm sure yours are better behaved. :p

Steeler-gal

Prolly because guns don't soil the floor or leave crawly, itchy critters on the merchandise. Of course, I'm sure yours are better behaved. :p

My furry beasts are the best and cleanest. :)

========================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
========================
Looking for training by experienced staff?
We are the largest all female only firearms group on the East Coast offering firearms training courses and services provided by our experienced and certified female instructors.
http://www.shecanshoot.com/

Donna Baker

Why is open carry a bad thing?

I dont understand why openly being armed is not good....wouldnt that be a good warning to not bother an armed person????

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I dont understand why openly being armed is not good....wouldnt that be a good warning to not bother an armed person????

Ah so, the lady cuts to the chase on her initial post. OC is decidedly good and a fundamental right so to do. It is indeed a passive warning to tread lightly, like the fangs of a water moccasin.