• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NoVA (Northern Virginia) - OC reports

GlockMom

Had a great (but HOT!!!) morning shooting over at Blue Ridge Arsenal with a fairly large group of the Divas, followed by lunch at IHOP on Metrotech. At lunch, at least three of us were OC: me, Steeler-Gal, and GlockMom. No comments or issues from anyone.

Afterward, Steeler-Gal and I (along with a non-OC Diva) went over to F3 Tactical, where Jimmy helped me out by putting an angled fore grip onto my AK for me, and we chatted a bit. Then Steeler-Gal and I walked to CoffeeSmith a couple doors over, drank cold drinks and talked business. After leaving, I stopped off at Kinko's in Greenbriar to make some copies, then came home.

Hubby, Youngling, and I went to dinner over at Hibachi Buffet. I saw a couple of head-swivels, but no one said anything to me.

Had a blast with the ladies. Riana and Steeler-Gal were awesome. I was so excited about being able to have an adult lunch out with the ladies sans kids. My husband was a rockstar for watching them.

Went to Lowe's on Metrotech after lunch to see if they had a Trox T8 with security bit for husband. I got some looks but while carrying there nothing was said.

Today we went to breakfast at CrackerBarrel in Manassas off of 66. This is the second time I have OC'd there. No problems. On the way out, with one kid holding each hand, I hear a man say to his wife, "see she has a gun." I don't know if he was trying to convince her that it was ok, or that she should have one, or just point out that I had it. I smiled at the couple, and their kid, and took my kids to look at the toys/candy.

We had an outdoor birthday party to go to today, but I wanted to get hats for the family as it is/was a scorcher outside today. Went to Walmart for some cheep hats. As I was checking out, a lady comes up in line behind me, and asks, "can I ask what kinda gun that is?" I said "certainly, I am carrying a Glock 19 generation 4" She said her husband wants her to carry but she is so uncomfortable with his magnums, they are big and have a lot of recoil. We had a pleasant conversation about the gen 4's and how they come with the small backstraps, but you can make them larger with the extra ones that they give you. I told her also that 22's tend to not have any or much recoil. That the Walther P22's and the Ruger 22's have a pretty small grip. She asked if I had a class, and I said yes I have taken a handgun class at Blue Ridge Arsenal, and she asked me where I bought mine. I told her I got it at the same place, BRA. She thanked me for talking with her, and answering her questions. I told her that it was my pleasure.

Went to BRA today and bought a SOG fixed blade as a present for my husband. =) They of course had no problem with me carrying.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
We had an outdoor birthday party to go to today, but I wanted to get hats for the family as it is/was a scorcher outside today. Went to Walmart for some cheep hats. As I was checking out, a lady comes up in line behind me, and asks, "can I ask what kinda gun that is?" I said "certainly, I am carrying a Glock 19 generation 4" She said her husband wants her to carry but she is so uncomfortable with his magnums, they are big and have a lot of recoil. We had a pleasant conversation about the gen 4's and how they come with the small backstraps, but you can make them larger with the extra ones that they give you. I told her also that 22's tend to not have any or much recoil. That the Walther P22's and the Ruger 22's have a pretty small grip. She asked if I had a class, and I said yes I have taken a handgun class at Blue Ridge Arsenal, and she asked me where I bought mine. I told her I got it at the same place, BRA. She thanked me for talking with her, and answering her questions. I told her that it was my pleasure.

I carry a stack of cards for instructors I know and recommend. When I have an encounter like that, I am able to hand out the card (with an open carry card). It's nice to be able to recommend female instructors now; for a long time I had only male instructors in my stack.

I carried at Fort Hunt Park last night; the range is so used to seeing me carry that she doesn't even blink any more, and no one else even seemed to notice.

GlockMom

I carry a stack of cards for instructors I know and recommend. When I have an encounter like that, I am able to hand out the card (with an open carry card). It's nice to be able to recommend female instructors now; for a long time I had only male instructors in my stack.

I carried at Fort Hunt Park last night; the range is so used to seeing me carry that she doesn't even blink any more, and no one else even seemed to notice.

Yeah it killed me that I did not have any cards to give her. I thought of the instructors I know kicked myself. If you ladies wanna give me a few of your cards I will happily carry them. Also where do I get the "open carry card"?

papa bear

hey GLOCKMOM, glad you had a good day. glad that BRA didn't have a problem with you carrying. do you know if that is because they know you or is everybody welcome to carry there?

Steeler-gal

hey GLOCKMOM, glad you had a good day. glad that BRA didn't have a problem with you carrying. do you know if that is because they know you or is everybody welcome to carry there?

BRA has no policy against carrying.

==========================================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

GlockMom

Hello Papa Bear,

I am not certain if they are just cool with me. I have seen several others carry there, and they seem to be cool about it. But they know me really well. I have helped them with an event. I think they do not allow drawing from a holster in the range.

http://www.blueridgearsenal.com/range-rules-a-info

That is their rules and info page. I like the guys there. They are very personable and nice. They also have no problems answering any inane questions I have. So that is good. :)

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Spent last night and today in the Burke area. Carried all over Burke and Springfield including both Capital One and Suntrust banks, the new IHOP on Shiplett and a few other places...

No issues as usual, getting ready to head back to PA.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

I've never been to any gun shops where I have been asked to leave my gun in my vehicle. I have OC'd into many of the ones around where I live (about a 30 mile radius) and have never had a problem. They just seem to expect it.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Yeah it killed me that I did not have any cards to give her. I thought of the instructors I know kicked myself. If you ladies wanna give me a few of your cards I will happily carry them. Also where do I get the "open carry card"?

From Ed Levine's signature block: For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Ed has been making and distributing these for a couple of years now; they're VERY handy.

GlockMom

Just had my daily walk with the kids, it is a beautiful morning. OC'ing and we stopped at a local Bakery, Great Harvest Bread Co. They did not blink or stare. The scones were fabulous, and it was a wonderful morning. The kids and I sat outside and ate our scones for breakfast, with some orange juice. Several people stopped by and said hi, and talked to the kids.

I think the kids distract them, cause my kids are pretty darned cute, and then they see I am carrying. It does not seem to bother them. :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Just had my daily walk with the kids, it is a beautiful morning. OC'ing and we stopped at a local Bakery, Great Harvest Bread Co. They did not blink or stare. The scones were fabulous, and it was a wonderful morning. The kids and I sat outside and ate our scones for breakfast, with some orange juice. Several people stopped by and said hi, and talked to the kids.

I think the kids distract them, cause my kids are pretty darned cute, and then they see I am carrying. It does not seem to bother them. :)

It has been said before that women OCing are golden to the cause and that women with children go platinum.

Nothing allows for the reversal of the "it's about the children" message (that the antis push) more than discovering that mommy is prepared to defend them with tooth and claw, yet is normal and non-threatening otherwise.

I sincerely thank you for what you and the other ladies here do.

GlockMom

It has been said before that women OCing are golden to the cause and that women with children go platinum.

Nothing allows for the reversal of the "it's about the children" message (that the antis push) more than discovering that mommy is prepared to defend them with tooth and claw, yet is normal and non-threatening otherwise.

I sincerely thank you for what you and the other ladies here do.

Grapeshot, yeah I will defend my children's lives with tooth and nail, always have and always will. Now people can just see my teeth. I feel like a mama bear.

I have a feeling there will be an encounter at one point that some ignorant person will come up and say, you are endangering your children by having a gun in the house much less on your person where they can take it. I will have to give them a piece of my mind as nicely as I can of course.

It is part of my life now, I am happy to do what I can to help the cause. :monkey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Grapeshot, yeah I will defend my children's lives with tooth and nail, always have and always will. Now people can just see my teeth. I feel like a mama bear.

--snip--

Excerpts from a favorite site and recommended read for all.

Some folks say the most dangerous place in the world is between a Mama Bear and her cubs. It may be so. I've never met a Mama Bear, myself. The most dangerous place I ever stood was between a cornered cat and an open door.

She does only as much as she needs to do in order to escape. She doesn't deal in revenge. If she feels threatened, she simply leaves. Efficiently.

Until she needs to use them, her claws stay sheathed. She doesn't go around threatening to maul people. She's cuddly, she's cozy, she likes to curl up next to a crackling fire on a warm winter's day. She's great company. But don't try to trap her in a bad situation.

It's about making the decision to say, "Not me. Not mine. Not today." And it's about the tools to make that decision stick.

http://www.corneredcat.com/Like_a_Cornered_Cat/

GlockMom

Excerpts from a favorite site and recommended read for all.

Some folks say the most dangerous place in the world is between a Mama Bear and her cubs. It may be so. I've never met a Mama Bear, myself. The most dangerous place I ever stood was between a cornered cat and an open door.

She does only as much as she needs to do in order to escape. She doesn't deal in revenge. If she feels threatened, she simply leaves. Efficiently.

Until she needs to use them, her claws stay sheathed. She doesn't go around threatening to maul people. She's cuddly, she's cozy, she likes to curl up next to a crackling fire on a warm winter's day. She's great company. But don't try to trap her in a bad situation.

It's about making the decision to say, "Not me. Not mine. Not today." And it's about the tools to make that decision stick.

http://www.corneredcat.com/Like_a_Cornered_Cat/

That is a great article, pretty much the way I live my life. I leave if I can, and deal with the situation if I can't. But first instinct is to remove the children from any danger, and never go in an area that is iffy on the safety side. Thanks Grapeshot

papa bear

I've never been to any gun shops where I have been asked to leave my gun in my vehicle. I have OC'd into many of the ones around where I live (about a 30 mile radius) and have never had a problem. They just seem to expect it.

sorry for the off topic this probably should be discussed in another thread. but to answer this, i am constantly surprised at gun shooters that think all gun shops are not carry friendly. we had a discussion on this at a VCDL dinner tonight. most of the ranges around me are very carry friendly, but i have heard of a few that are not. we should never go to one of these shops , but we should also let them know why we will not go there.

BTW, carried all around Lexington, and in the Lynchburg area, no body even acted like they noticed. don't know if this is considered NoVA or not, just trying to stay on topic

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
sorry for the off topic this probably should be discussed in another thread. but to answer this, i am constantly surprised at gun shooters that think all gun shops are not carry friendly. we had a discussion on this at a VCDL dinner tonight. most of the ranges around me are very carry friendly, but i have heard of a few that are not. we should never go to one of these shops , but we should also let them know why we will not go there.

BTW, carried all around Lexington, and in the Lynchburg area, no body even acted like they noticed. don't know if this is considered NoVA or not, just trying to stay on topic

Lexington is definitely not in NOVA. As to the actual geographic borders of NOVA, they cover the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, and Loudoun, and part of Prince William (splits Manassas and runs east to the river). Obvious the cities of Falls Church and Alexandria are included. I am technically not in NOVA as I am in the Gainesville/Haymarket area. But in reality, the demographics and other non-geographic factors put pretty much anything from Fredericksburg north in NOVA.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
For the first time since I've lived here, I had someone make a remark in the Home Depot in Hybla Valley. It was quite positive, though. The clerk complimented me on my sidearm and said his favorites were the H&K and the Kimber. I almost got the sense he was name-dropping, but there was another customer behind me so I didn't get to continue the conversation.

Also carried for the first time today in the Advance Auto Parts on US1 at Lukens Lane. Needed help finding a part, but couldn't even tell if the clerk noticed. Some blue-collar types in the parking lot noticed (you know, 4 or 5 guys in a pickup truck!) but said nothing.

Last edited:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Was interviewed today at Sharpshooters, as part of the Shooting Divas group, as was Riana (I think). The reporter SEEMED open and enthusiastic, but we'll see. Unfortunately, I won't be available to see it when it airs (he thought perhaps Friday or Monday), so I hope someone gets it recorded.

jwinkeler

Introduced myself to a man who was open carrying at hooters told him about the forum hopefully we'll see him on here soon

Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp.

Last edited: