• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NoVA (Northern Virginia) - OC reports

architect

like the fangs of a water moccasin.
more like the stripes of a skunk. :) Snakes are brandishing when they show their fangs!

Welcome to OCDO, Donna.

For me, and I think many, "warning off" is not the primary point of OC. Having ready access to one's sidearm with more choices in apparel is probably a little closer to the "why," but the most important point is "why not."

bob888

Yesterday afternoon in Vienna, I was walking out of the Amphora Restaurant looking for a person I was waiting to meet up with.

After turning the corner, I saw a bunch of OC'ers heading on into the place. Naturally, I peppered them with questions like "Excuse me, aren't you supposed to have a permit for OCing?"

The lady of the group was initially shocked at my brazen line of questioning, but I think the new dude from SC handled it pretty well. :eek:

But before widespread panic and hilarity could set in, I confessed and told them I was there to meet up with them. With me not OCing this time around. :lol: :banana:

Amphora has pretty good food.

Last edited:

Riana

Just a little OC today. Met hubby and his co-worker at Euro Bistro in Herndon. No comments / issues.

After that, I went to the Reston Library to do a little web surfing on the laptop. No comments / issues there, either.

Last edited:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Saw Memphis 59 (alternative rock/country) at Grist Mill Park. About 200 people there, but I didn't even notice any raised eyebrows this time.

Riana

The only *new* place I've OC'd today is the Ashburn Icehouse. I'm currently sitting upstairs while the Youngling and his friend skate. No issues.

Steeler-gal

Had lunch at Madigan's along the Occoquan yesterday with no incidents. I kind of got a sense the people in the table were staring or may be talking about it. I felt like I was being stared at the whole time I was there. No proof just a feeling. Anyway, it was a beautiful day outside for lunch.

Riana

Had a great (but HOT!!!) morning shooting over at Blue Ridge Arsenal with a fairly large group of the Divas, followed by lunch at IHOP on Metrotech. At lunch, at least three of us were OC: me, Steeler-Gal, and GlockMom. No comments or issues from anyone.

Afterward, Steeler-Gal and I (along with a non-OC Diva) went over to F3 Tactical, where Jimmy helped me out by putting an angled fore grip onto my AK for me, and we chatted a bit. Then Steeler-Gal and I walked to CoffeeSmith a couple doors over, drank cold drinks and talked business. After leaving, I stopped off at Kinko's in Greenbriar to make some copies, then came home.

Hubby, Youngling, and I went to dinner over at Hibachi Buffet. I saw a couple of head-swivels, but no one said anything to me.

Last edited:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Had to have new tires put on my primary vehicle, and since I didn't take it in until late yesterday afternoon, had to rent a car.

Got talking guns at NTB in Hybla Valley. Guy likes to shoot, but claims he was told he can't have a handgun because of a case of neglect of his daughter against her mom. Didn't sound right to me, but he said he would be afraid if anything happened to daughter, he'd be the one they'd come hassling, so he's not worried. I advised him to check, but didn't want to get in to his personal business.

The driver who drove me to and from the rental agency asked if I was a cop, and then if Richmond Highway was really that bad. When I said I was armed everywhere I legally could be, he kind of dropped the subject. He lives in DC, though.....

Then out to Grist Mill Park for a bluegrass concert. Excellent interactions with several patrons and the band, with no comment about the sidearm.

Steeler-gal

Had a great (but HOT!!!) morning shooting over at Blue Ridge Arsenal with a fairly large group of the Divas, followed by lunch at IHOP on Metrotech. At lunch, at least three of us were OC: me, Steeler-Gal, and GlockMom. No comments or issues from anyone.

Afterward, Steeler-Gal and I (along with a non-OC Diva) went over to F3 Tactical, where Jimmy helped me out by putting an angled fore grip onto my AK for me, and we chatted a bit. Then Steeler-Gal and I walked to CoffeeSmith a couple doors over, drank cold drinks and talked business. After leaving, I stopped off at Kinko's in Greenbriar to make some copies, then came home.

Hubby, Youngling, and I went to dinner over at Hibachi Buffet. I saw a couple of head-swivels, but no one said anything to me.

No fair beating me to the post
So, I don't think I OCd anywhere new but here's my rundown
Starbucks in Fair Lakes,
Fair Lakes Walmart - talked up the clerk about carrying and handling of guns. She said she was afraid when she was ringing up my ammo and socks :D I asked if she was afraid of me and she explained that guns scared her. We talked a bit about that and about the fact that after a little time with me in class or at the range she'd understand them better and be less afraid. Of course I gave her a card.

Then yeah a fun hot time was had by all at BRA, IHOP, and F3

While at the coffee shop with Riana, I had a brief talk with two women about my church (I was wearing one of our Ts). The one woman stared pretty intently at my strong side hip but never asked me about my gun.

From there I went to my UPS store to pick up my mail and talked Shakeology with one of the clerks for a while. The clerks here have seen me OC multiple times and never inquired. Picked up a pizza for dinner - got no looks there.

I think that's a pretty good summary of my day.

==========================================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

AIC869

Well, finally back from overseas (yea!) and closing on our new house in NoVA next week. Looking forward to actually meeting some of the crowd finally. Steeler-Gal, my wife has seen the Divas page and thinks it's great and may be looking you guys up in the near future. :)

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Made a trip over to Virginia Arms late this morning for a set of sights for a gen3 Glock 19. Was in there yesterday as well as Guns and Ammo Warehouse yesterday, too. Anyway, this morning had the usual Saturday crowd at Virginia Arms. Not usual in the sense of the same folks but usual in the sense of a fair amount of customer traffic. It is one busy store. And this morning must have been a police convention there. As I was approaching, one LEO car was leaving and others were in the lot. I noticed one was from Manassas Park. Inside were perhaps four to five officers dressed all black "ninja" style clothes (not meant as a derogatory comment). Not one said a word, stared, stopped me, or anything of the sort. Only polite and friendly words were exchanged as I waited for my finished slide and examined the displays.

I'm thinking, this is all good stuff. I've never had a problem with a PWC officer or any in Manassas, either. It's good and the water is fine.

Steeler-gal

Well, finally back from overseas (yea!) and closing on our new house in NoVA next week. Looking forward to actually meeting some of the crowd finally. Steeler-Gal, my wife has seen the Divas page and thinks it's great and may be looking you guys up in the near future. :)

Definitely have her check us out. Membership is free and very laid back. We have three chapters in the area.

==========================================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

PaulX608

Haven't posted in this thread in a while, mainly 'cause nobody ever seems to notice I'm carrying and I do it everywhere, every day. This afternoon, I was in the Advance Auto Parts @ Manaport(across 234 from the Manassas Mall) to purchase a starter. The lady behind me in line asked if I was a police officer(which is funny because I have long hair and a bushy beard). I told her I wasn't and she said she liked my little .38 snub on my hip. I said 'thanks, I usually carry something more substantial, but this is easier in my work attire' and she asked if it was difficult to get a license. I told her that in VA there is no license needed for OC and that anyone who could legally own or possess a firearm could carry openly. She thanked me for the info, I purchased my starter and left. It was a very brief and pleasant encounter, but the most significant one I've had in a while so I figured I'd post it.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Haven't posted in this thread in a while, mainly 'cause nobody ever seems to notice I'm carrying and I do it everywhere, every day. This afternoon, I was in the Advance Auto Parts @ Manaport(across 234 from the Manassas Mall) to purchase a starter. The lady behind me in line asked if I was a police officer(which is funny because I have long hair and a bushy beard). I told her I wasn't and she said she liked my little .38 snub on my hip. I said 'thanks, I usually carry something more substantial, but this is easier in my work attire' and she asked if it was difficult to get a license. I told her that in VA there is no license needed for OC and that anyone who could legally own or possess a firearm could carry openly. She thanked me for the info, I purchased my starter and left. It was a very brief and pleasant encounter, but the most significant one I've had in a while so I figured I'd post it.

Great little encounter. Thanks for letting us know.