• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

As I said earlier - congratulations on your prompt and correct action during this event. It was a pleasure to meet you today.

Holo

imported post

Good job bud. I can only hope I would have done the exact same thing in your situation.

The real truth is that none of us know what will happen in a given situation until it happens. Considering that this could have gone far, far worse...I would say he did a magnificent job.

It's also reassuring that all those days spent practicing worked in your favor when the draw and chambering went flawlessly under stress.

jarhead1911A

imported post

For what its worth i think he was correct in what he did, There comes a time when one does not think of there own safety and they consider that someone else maybe in immediate danger.

I applaud you for a job well done, Tactical errors or not you did what needed to be done and you did it well.

esstac

imported post

Holo wrote:
Considering that this could have gone far, far worse...
It sure could have, and I am glad it didn't.

In fact I am glad it went exactly the way it did. I think if I had not drawn and tryed to pull the guy off and restrained him I could have been hurt or my wife and father. If I sat on the sidelines and just yelled at him it could have went good or bad for Her or us. I have never brandished my gun or pointed on in anger, but doing so I think played a huge role in ending this without further issues, but it could have gone worse still but I hope beeing clear headed and sober I would have still had the upper hand.

I remember watching something in the last week or so(maybe 30days or on youtube) about a guy who was being attacked and just the fact he pulled his gun made the attacker stop and flee. I never put much thought into just this part of it, it has always been if I pull my firearm its with the intent to use it and I have trained as such. I am not a LEO and have always had that mindest of pulling only if I intend to use it. I am glad I did not have to but also glad I had the ability to pull and not use other then using it as a motivational tool to get him off her.

Also having it OC instead of CC was nice as that was one less thing to think about(moving clothing) A big thanks again to those who have helped clear the path for OC :cool:

And to those I did get to meet today, it was nice and wish I wasn't such a quite shy guy ;) and met more.

jbone

imported post

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Courage, also known as bravery, will and fortitude, is the ability to confront fear, pain, risk/danger, uncertainty, or intimidation"

I hopemore peoplein thesecrazy times woulddisplay what this man has done for society. Mightbe far less crime, if the criminals knew more law abiding citizens had the courage of this one man.

Shanew1

imported post

No matter what anyone said, you did the right thing, who cares if it put you in danger a woman was getting beat and any man worth the hair on his ass would have done the same, that’s why this country is going to shit, to many people afraid to do anything, stand up for the weak or their rights, I say bravo and stand and applaud you.

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

polarbz

imported post

I agree that the OP did the right thing. Others could argue that it wasn't safe, which is true. But, sometimes someone has to do something that isn't safe in order to make one piece of their world a better place.

If everyone only thought of #1, there would be no Soldiers (protecting those Constitutional Rights we use daily), no Police, and no Firefighters. Those who can think of others before themselves are to be commended.

sharp

imported post

I also am in agreement the Op did the right thing. Congratulations on a great "save".

What I haven't heard is anything about this on the news. Maybe I just didn't pick it up? Did anyone else? This is the kind of story that deserves recognition but I fear the media just doesn't want this side of it. Not into conspirousies here but it just doesn't seem right.

Machoduck

imported post

Funny you should mention that, Lonnie. It seems that the various PDs have "Information Officers", or some such title, who let the media know about ...how should I phrase this? ... incidents involving the police. Well, I don't suppose they're too keen on reporting what happened to Badger at their hands, so maybe it should be, "incidents that involve the police if it doesn't put them in a bad light". OK, fine, esstac's experience should have been reported to the media. It wasn't. I guess that citizens acting as responsible defenders doesn't fly either. I realize that the logical mind is drawn to the concept that the police have a double standard whereby they "recognize" our right to carry but in reality wish we would just go away and therefore won't report citizen defense of others. But we know that this just couldn't be.

MD

scarlett1125

imported post

I'm new on the board, but those of you who know jarhead have probably met or at least heard of me because I'm his wife. Anyway, he was telling me about this story, and I couldn't help myself. I had to come on and say that I would shake eccstac's hand if I ever met him. Let me tell you why. . .

A few years ago (before I met my husband), I was living with a man who finally threatened to kill me. Compared to the story described here, I received few bruises, but I was definitely in fear for my life. This put me and my children in a domestic violence shelter for which I am very grateful. While I was there, I heard several stories about men who would beat their wives in public just to prove to them that no one would ever help them. :shock:I could not believe that our "live and let live" society was really that horrible--that selfish. But it was true. It is still true for many, many women.

So, did eccstac put himself in danger? Yes, absolutely. Are those of you who said that she probably ended up with him again later right. Statistically, yes. However, in the state of Washington (Ohio might be different), the decision to prosecute this guy will not be left up to her--it will be left up to the DA's office. This is the case in all domestic violence situations. Had eccstac stayed in the apartment, it would be another case of he said/she said. However, since he got involved, he is now an excellent witness for the prosecution, so once again, KUDOS!

I do not believe in carrying simply for the defense and protection of my loved ones, though they do come first. However, I could not live with myself if I did defend those who could not defend themselves. I may not be as good at it as my husband :lol:, but I am no longer a victim. Does that mean that I should allow others to be victimized? Absolutely not! I don't think anyone is saying that we should all go out and look for trouble, but sometimes we are faced with a situation in which we can either act or get out of the way so that someone else can. In my neighborhood, I already KNOW that the cops are not going to come out unless there is no danger in it for them. So why not diffuse the situation as quickly as possible? If the cops had been called and no one had stepped in, he could have killed her or injured her far worse before they ever arrived.

One last thing. It seems that she was not in a full-fledged relationship with this guy, and that MIGHT make a difference. However, a woman is in the most danger 6 months after she leaves her abuser. If you ever find yourself in this situation or anything similar, please encourage the woman to get someplace safe until the guy is caught. (Not that all abusers are male, but the statistic does not go both ways.)

Thanks for letting me play on the board! :D

grishnav

imported post

Hmm...

Door open a couple of inches, both in close proximity, not really sure which one is the initiator...

Sounds like a great excuse to try out that Fox Five Point Three in Fogger mode :celebrate

Machoduck

imported post

joeroket wrote:
Wouldn't the media be notified by dispatch? After all they do listen to scanners.

It would depend on what went out over the radio, if anything. They have their ways of keeping it off the air. If it did go out over the radio, it might have been termed something simple like a normal sounding domestic call (whatever that might be), arousing no curiosity among the press.

Of course, there's always the possibility that the press knew all about what happened and chose not to report it, just as they chose not to report that guns were used to subdue the shooter at the Appalachain Law School.

MD

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Yeah I'm sure that Sound Publishing and their all mighty once every Tuesday Stanwood/Camano News is active in supressing news and information.

I'm sure one of the reporters on this contact page would enjoy hearing the story. (No I don't represent Sound Publishing but I do work in the newspaper world as a sales agent and have picked up more than a few things about how local media REALLY works...) http://www.scnews.com/pages/contact.php

Johnny Law

imported post

Machoduck wrote:
Funny you should mention that, Lonnie. It seems that the various PDs have "Information Officers", or some such title, who let the media know about ...how should I phrase this? ... incidents involving the police. Well, I don't suppose they're too keen on reporting what happened to Badger at their hands, so maybe it should be, "incidents that involve the police if it doesn't put them in a bad light". OK, fine, esstac's experience should have been reported to the media. It wasn't. I guess that citizens acting as responsible defenders doesn't fly either. I realize that the logical mind is drawn to the concept that the police have a double standard whereby they "recognize" our right to carry but in reality wish we would just go away and therefore won't report citizen defense of others. But we know that this just couldn't be.

MD
Before any more wild assumptions are cast, allow me to clarify the process.

Yes, all major PD's have a Public Information Officer (PIO). The job of a PIO is to give out info to the media regarding an incident. The media does indeed listen to scanners, and this is how they are typically alerted that an event is/has taken place. If they are interested, they will then dispatch a news truck or helicopter to the scene. Depending on the seriousness of the incident, a PIO may or may not show up onscene, or even be briefed (initially) of the incident.

The media may also call a PD (during or after an incident) requesting info. Also the media will send out reporters who review all of the days reports on a daily basis.

A PIO does not call the media to notify them of an incident,UNLESS it was dispatched solely by computer (very infrequent), a MAJOR (homocide) crime or incident, and they were not aware of it already.The PIO's respond to the media when a request for info is made by the media, not vice-versa. As you can see, it is the media who decides what is a worthy story, and what isn't, not the PD.

If you read my previous post in this thread you would see that I personally gave Esstac my congratulations on a job well done. An Officer doing what Esstac did is just another day, and the media doesn't care. My feelings are that he does deserve positive attention, as this is above and beyond what many citizens are willing to do. What the media chooses to cover is entirely up to them however, andas a rule onlywant the "spectacular" events.

Machoduck

imported post

Johnny Law: Nowhere did I state or imply that you or any other street cop would be unsupportive of citizen carry, let alone seek to hide the good results of citizen involvement. What a department might or might not do publicly is another matter. For support of the idea that higher-ups in any given department might seek to withhold information about citizen gun use, I offer the following points:

* Chiefs of Police are appointed by Mayors, who are usually lefties,

* The great number of stories on OCDO of police intimidation directed at citizens who exercise their rights to carry,

* The fact that departments know pretty well what their officers are doing, despite protestations to the contrary, and,

* The observable fact that cities and counties are often reluctant to rewrite existing laws to conform to state mandated levels of freedom.

MD

P.S. Since when is conjecture verboten? Absent my post, conjecture though it may have been, I doubt very much that you would have offered the level of detail of the process that you did. And yes, I'm glad you did post; facts trump conjecture.

Machoduck

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Yeah I'm sure that Sound Publishing and their all mighty once every Tuesday Stanwood/Camano News is active in supressing news and information.

I'm sure one of the reporters on this contact page would enjoy hearing the story. (No I don't represent Sound Publishing but I do work in the newspaper world as a sales agent and have picked up more than a few things about how local media REALLY works...) http://www.scnews.com/pages/contact.php
Clearly, I must have been referring to the Stanwood/Camano News (and whose existence I became aware of today through your referenced post)when I wrote about the national media semi-blackout of the fact that guns were used by law-abiding citizens at Appalaichan Vally Law School (if that is indeed the correct name of the school).

MD

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Machoduck wrote:
Clearly, I must have been referring to the Stanwood/Camano News (and whose existence I became aware of today through your referenced post)when I wrote about the national media semi-blackout of the fact that guns were used by law-abiding citizens at Appalaichan Vally Law School (if that is indeed the correct name of the school).

MD
I was being a bit grumpy last night, sorry.

I've got no idea what makes national media tick outside of money, but to extend the failures of national media outlets to ALL media outlets is pretty unfair. You'll get a better shake with most local outlets than you will with anything national.

Try telling this story to the local rag, I'll bet money it gets printed.