• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Triple Tap wrote:
I amnot sure if anyone posted a link to this.

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1024078861416

Read at the bottom under the "shooting blanks" title.
So mebbe it's those "information officers" keeping the story down...

Aaron Zelman, executive director of the Wisconsin-based Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership, is more certain. "It's not by accident that it's not getting reported," he says. "The powers that be don't want people thinking in terms of taking the law into their own hands."

Johnny Law

imported post

MD,

Personally I would loved to have seen a news spot on this event, but it is solely up to the media to decide what they deem newsworthy. A Dept. is a neutral entity in this process, and will only provide info if asked/requested. The job of a PIO is to see that the info is provided accurate and timely. It isnot a PIO's job to influence news, or "spotlight" certain events.

Remember that the media has access to all the reports.

Machoduck

imported post

Grumpy is fine. We're all grumpy now and then.

I wasn't accusing local media of anything dastardly, just conjecturing publicly on possible causes for the non-publication of what we all assume to be a newsworthy item. I notice that you've made a couple of references to somebody calling the story in. I infer that it would be bad form for you to do so?

MD

P.S. Great Mannlicher! Is ammo available or must you handload?

Machoduck

imported post

Johnny Law wrote:
MD,

Personally I would loved to have seen a news spot on this event, but it is solely up to the media to decide what they deem newsworthy. A Dept. is a neutral entity in this process, and will only provide info if asked/requested. The job of a PIO is to see that the info is provided accurate and timely. It isa PIO's job to influence news, or "spotlight" certain events.
I'll just bet that you left out a "not"!

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Machoduck wrote:
Grumpy is fine. We're all grumpy now and then.

I wasn't accusing local media of anything dastardly, just conjecturing publicly on possible causes for the non-publication of what we all assume to be a newsworthy item. I notice that you've made a couple of references to somebody calling the story in. I infer that it would be bad form for you to do so?

MD

P.S. Great Mannlicher! Is ammo available or must you handload?
I don't live on Camano, nor do I have a vested interest in their news, so I'm not going to. The OP would be the best one, or hope the brief police report in their logs is interesting enough to get a reporter's attention.

I can buy ammo at 2-4 bux per pop or make it from .303 brit or 3.-40 krag. Bullets are not an issue.

esstac

imported post

Just a FYI guys, I do not want to be in the media if I have my way ;) but then again I do understand why it should be there.

As to why or why not, who knows. I do know I did not talk much with the Police officers there other then relaying info I had obtained talking with the Gal and helped get that to the officers. I did not say much if at all to them of what I did as they had there hands full getting info from her about him and working on finding his sorry butt.

My wife an I did put in our statements the fact I had drawn, as far as I can recollect that was the only hint of what I had done, again I think.

Its a good chance the incident will be here in a few days http://www.everettwa.org/default.aspx?ID=995 but it may not say much other then the domestic disturbance.

This or next week I will be down getting records about my 28 year old dog bite case and at that time I will look for any reports that may be available on this also and if I obtain any I will post them.

ghosthunter

imported post

On a side note , the News was all over the guy who happen along in Seattle on a C-Store Armed Robbery and punched the suspect when he left, putting him in Harborveiw.

He's a Hero (No Gun)

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Ohio Patriot wrote:
A few things:

1. When you see two people going at it, how do you know who is good and who is bad? Just because Person A is beating the crap out of Person B doesn't automatically mean Person B is the victim. For all you know, Person A is defending himself against Person B, and perhaps Person B deserves the beating. You just don't know. In this particular case, it is likely the woman was the victim, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

2. That guy probably beats her up every night. (Ask any LEO, and he'll tell you the "daily beating" is a lot more common than you think.) How much do you want to bet she is back with that guy, right now?

3. In many of these types of situations, the woman will get mad at you for stopping her boyfriend/husband from beating up on her. Yea, sounds crazy, but it happens more often than you think. Now you have TWO people coming at you- the drunk boyfriend/husband AND the woman who was getting the beating.

4. My handgun is a defensive weapon. It is my tool for defending me and my loved ones against serious threats. It is not my job, nor and I trained, to come to the aid of strangers.

5. When you come to a stranger's aid, you are usually risking your life for someone who is not armed. Ask yourself this: Why do they care so little about their own safety that they choose to go around unarmed? Why should you- a person who cares about his safety- put your life in danger for someone who apparently doesn't even care about their own safety?

Just a few things to think about...

1. :shock::uhoh:You're dead wrong. If Person A is beating the living daylights out of person B and person B is not trying to fight back except to guard against blows, A is the aggressor and B is the victim. And nobody "deserves" to be beaten within an inch of their life.

2. Doesn't matter. If she decides to stay in an abusive relationship, she's made her choice, but if OP hadn't made the choice to stop that beating she may not have survived to make hers. "An hour of life is still life"; you do whatever you can to prevent death even though it may be inevitable.

3. Which is why the gun is the better option than getting into it hand-to-hand. If both of them turn on you a gun is far more effective at holding them at bay and/or stopping them. Yes, I know of exactly the phenomenon you speak of (it's basically Stockholm Syndrome) but the possibility that she may have rationalized his behavior to the point of defending it violently is not to be outweighed by the very simple fact that her life may have just been saved. She can rationalize being beaten to death all the wants, but there's no questioning that she could have died. It goes back to choice; by saving her life, you are giving her the chance to make the choice to protect it herself from that point forward. Whether she does or does not is not your immediate concern; to assume she wouldn't is tothrowherawayas unimportant, and there is no code of morals in which any of us have that power.

4. This is probably the point I agree most with. However, loved one or stranger, we are all human, and have the right not to be murdered. Though playing the hero when escape was anoptionhas gotten more than one person in legal hot water, there's legal and then moral; you have to ask yourself if you could live with yourself if you learned that woman had died, knowing you could have stopped it? For me, it would be very hard to do so. For others, it's all too easy.

5. We get converts to the 2A, OC/CC cause every day on this forum and others. If you were to ask one of them why they didn't think their life and those of loved oneswere worth protecting, they'd simply say "because I never thought about it that way before". I myself have only been an advocate of gun carry (open and concealed) for about 9 months, and if you'd asked me why I had never fired, much less owned, a firearm for the first 25 years of my life I'd tell you I never thought I'd need one.