• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oklahoma Petition to Restore Open Carry Rights - bill still alive in 2010

okielady57

imported post

How many signatures are we needing to keep this going? I have emailed everyone I know and asked them to forward the information. I am also going to email Sue Tibbs and any others that I find email address's for. The only way to move this forward and pass it is if we all band together and work hard. That is how our fore fathers made this a great state, hard work and push. Thanks Russ for your hard work and keeping us all informed.

russcook

imported post

Well, two letters (email) to Representative Sue Tibbs' office, and no replies. It would appear that she intends to let this wither on the vine. I asked her to tell me her concerns regarding this bill, so I'd at least know why she was holding it up. No reply.

More pressure folks! Keep writing and calling! You can find contact info for your Representatives and Senators at http://www.ok.gov .

okielady57

imported post

I have wrote to her and everyone in my area that would count. I have only received two replies, one from Lucky Lamons and one from Senator Coburn, which his was a standard email he needs time to check into it and get back with me. I guess if it takes an email a day to her then I am. Who else and what else can we do?

okielady57

imported post

Please find below the exact email reply I received today from Mrs. Tibbs. How can we receive a full copy of this bill to see what might be considered a hesitation on her part. Thanks
If called to do so, I would defend the 2[suP]nd[/suP] Amendment with my life. My husband and I own guns and we have gone through the concealed carry class. I am also a member of the NRA.

As a responsible Chairman of the Public Safety Committee, it is my duty to make sure something as serious as open carry is studied to the fullest before it becomes law and is placed in our statutes. You cannot imagine how many things are in the statutes that should not be there.

I explained to Rep. Ritze that I would talk to the Sheriff’s, the Chief’s of Police and the Director of OSBI, as well as the Director of the Department of Public Safety. That I would speak with the states that now have open carry to get their input as to the up and down side of what has transpired in their states, so we could make sure this was the exact bill we wanted to put in the Statutes of Oklahoma. It is my experience that once something goes into the statutes it never comes out. There is nothing wrong with making sure something is right before moving forward.

As I explained to Rep. Ritze, this bill is in no way dead. It is the property of the Public Safety Committee, and can be considered next year. In fact, the men that head up the Oklahoma Rifle Association came by my office one day last week and thanked me for NOT hearing the bill. They felt had it been heard this year, it would NOT have passed and then the bill would be DEAD for two years. They actually thanked me for protecting the bill.

Sincerely,

Sue Tibbs

State Representative

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

keep it up guys - Russ Cook the petition founder will be able to deply this petition and the email address via alerts in the commin months to get ready for the next legislative season! also, we have to move these pettition to little buttons on teh state page so as to avoide having to keep bumping this thread all the time.

russcook

imported post

Mike wrote:
keep it up guys - Russ Cook the petition founder will be able to deply this petition and the email address via alerts in the commin months to get ready for the next legislative season! also, we have to move these pettition to little buttons on teh state page so as to avoide having to keep bumping this thread all the time.
Bump back to home page ...

Donaldo

imported post

Cookie Cutter

Subject: RE: HB1414

If called to do so, I would defend the 2nd Amendment with my life. My husband and I own guns and we have gone through the concealed carry class. I am also a member of the NRA.

As a responsible Chairman of the Public Safety Committee, it is my duty to make sure something as serious as open carry is studied to the fullest before it becomes law and is placed in our statutes. You cannot imagine how many things are in the statutes that should not be there.

I explained to Rep. Ritze that I would talk to the Sheriff’s, the Chief’s of Police and the Director of OSBI, as well as the Director of the Department of Public Safety. That I would speak with the states that now have open carry to get their input as to the up and down side of what has transpired in their states, so we could make sure this was the exact bill we wanted to put in the Statutes of Oklahoma. It is my experience that once something goes into the statutes it never comes out. There is nothing wrong with making sure something is right before moving forward.

As I explained to Rep. Ritze, this bill is in no way dead. It is the property of the Public Safety Committee, and can be considered next year. In fact, the men that head up the Oklahoma Rifle Association came by my office one day last week and thanked me for NOT hearing the bill. They felt had it been heard this year, it would NOT have passed and then the bill would be DEAD for two years. They actually thanked me for protecting the bill.

Sincerely,

Sue Tibbs
State Representative
2300 N. Lincoln Boulevard, Room 303A
Oklahoma City, OK 73105
(405) 557-7379
(800) 522-8502 Ext. 379
Fax: (405) 962-7672

--------------------------------------

Sent: Saturday, February 28, 2009 7:20 PM
To: Sue Tibbs
Cc: Gary Banz
Subject: HB1414

I want full restoration of MY Second Amendment Rights, and I want this bill to go forward.

View the Petition! We Want Our Right Back.
http://www.petitiononline.com/oc4ok/petition.html

Donald Ohse
Voter

russcook

imported post

Donald,

I have seen the letter from Representative Tibbs that you posted. It appears to be a form letter that many signers of the petition have received. I was disappointed to read that she intends to speak to various bureaucrats to get their 'opinion' on the topic, as that almost guarantees that she'll get some negative input that she can use as top cover for not supporting the bill.

Also, she mentioned "the members that head up the Oklahoma Rifle Association" thanked her for NOT bringing the bill forward, but conspicuously failed to mention their names.

I was underwelmed with her response to our calls and emails.