• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oklahoma Petition to Restore Open Carry Rights - bill still alive in 2010

cbxer55

imported post

Why do you bother to keep bumping this topic?

Is'nt it a dead issue for a year?

If ya have not got anything useful to say, let it die.

This forum needs to outlaw the bump post.

Most forums I belong to will delete your membership for doing this.

Lets do that here.

I do live in Oklahoma, btw. And support open carry, but for now it is over.

Oh, and I'll never open carry. Do not need no blinking target on my hip.

"Look at me, I got a gun, Shoot me first!"

russcook

imported post

Thanks for your input. The reason I bump this periodically is to keep a link to the petition on the home page. It is much easier for folks to find the petition if I tell them to go to OpenCarry.org and follow the link. If there were a permanent link on the home page to this and other petitions, this would not be necessary. Although the issue is dead for this year, there is no need (that I'm aware of) to stop collecting signatures.

If any of the Mods ask me to stop bumping this, I certainly will.

okboomer

imported post

Sue Tibs: "In fact, the men that head up the Oklahoma Rifle Association came by my office one day last week and thanked me for NOT hearing the bill. They felt had it been heard this year, it would NOT have passed and then the bill would be DEAD for two years. They actually thanked me for protecting the bill."

Hmmm, I have had discussions with the Treasurer of ORA about other issues and they have been satisfied with a delay in consideration/debate on certain legislature in the past and for very good reasons.

One of the most often cited reason for delay being useful was in garnering additional support of other legislators.

I am not saying that is the case here, but that it has been in the past. The ORA is very active with respect to legislation.

RussCook: as mentioned, online petitions are a strange beast when it comes to getting politician's attention. A better use of the internet would be to email state legislator's directly stating your view specifically. If you want to be more effective with petitions, print the bill out, then state the issue in very plain terms, then ask folks to sign with 1) clearly printed name, 2) home address including zip, 3) option to include phone and/or email, 4) signature (most important item!). Ask businesses to let you place them on their counter (include tethered ink pen in blue or black.) Be sure to service these often so that the store owner doesn't get annoyed with it being there. These signatures cannot be ignored and in OKC you will get signatures from all over the state! You will want to make copies of the pages and give/send those to the relevant legislator's, but be ready with the original's as they might be needed for certification at a later date.

You might also get a permit to solicit outside the entrance at the next gun show (Metcalf just ran this weekend.

Brigadoons, Uncle Bill's, Sam's Surplus, Sgt. Gritt's, and H&H, and the new gun range in Edmond would all be good places to start and they could probably recommend others. I would also try the pawn shops, too.

cheers - okboomer

cbxer55

imported post

Well I for one look forward to a day when open carry becomes legal.

It will be nice to be able to wear my favorite holster and tuck my shirt in again.

I know about tuckable holsters, and have two. But they still feel strange to me, even after using them pretty regularly since 2003. I want to be able to wear a belt slide type holster with a tucked in shirt.

Hopefully next year.

okboomer

imported post

There is also a very active group at www.OklahomaShooters.com who are working towards getting legislative support of this bill with their local Representatives and Senators.

Also, Mary Fallin has recently announced her candidacy for Governor. I can say that as Lt. Governor, Ms. Fallin was very pro-gun and pro-hunting and I believe she would be an excellent choice over Ms. Jeri Askins (D)who has shown a progressive-democratic stance against guns in the past. (I am currently trying to track down the specific report she authored for then Gov. Frank Keating.)

I am also against the Attorney General Drew Edmondson (D) as governor. He has been a good AG, and he has a good "grade" on guns and gun ownership, and he is not a progressive democrat, but he is a democrat and I believe he would not be as intense as Ms. Fallin on reducing the size of government and it's intrusion in our lives.

russcook

imported post

Here's a link to an article from the local TV station, channel 9 in OKC.

http://www.kwtv.com/global/story.asp?s=11988652

The poll at the end of the article is running 92% in favor of open carry.

Here are the comments I posted on the page.

With any controversial subject, there are opposing views. What surprises me is why this is controversial. The second amendment clearly says the right to keep and bear arms shall
not be infringed. It doesn't say the right to keep and bear arms concealed shall be allowed
if the individual state feels like allowing it. This is one of our most fundamental rights, and
it has already been infringed. It's time to reclaim it.

To those who argue that the weapon could be taken from the owner and used in a crime,
then what do you tell people whose car was stolen and used in a crime? Do you tell them
that they can no longer own a car, and no one else should be allowed to own a car, because
it might be stolen and used in a crime?

To those who feel that carrying openly will make the carrier a victim, then I say it is personal
choice. Do you tell people they cannot walk in certain areas at certain times, because it is
unsafe and they MIGHT become a victim? No, you leave it to personal judgment and personal
choice. That's what freedom is all about.

To those who advocate open carry because the carrier can then protect bystanders, I say that
is not what this is about. A concealed carrier can do the same. What this is about is more
toward self-defense. If a person does not carry concealed because he can't comfortable keep
the weapon concealed (hot weather, choice of clothing, etc) then he is unarmed and a means
of self-defense has been denied to him. Open carry provides another option.

This movement is an effort to restore a fundamental constitutional right, and to restore the
most fundamental of rights to state residents - the right to self-defense.

If you support this effort, please sign my petition, referenced at the end of the article.