• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Downtown Milwaukee

eleuthera

imported post

For the record, we did not enter the park. You really have to weigh risk vs gain, and there is very little to gain here in my opinion. Parabellum did see ~ 7 cop cars roll into the park around the time that he and I were supposed to head in. We open holstered our way into the park and spoke with a sherrif's deputy that was still there - he told us it was unrelated to us. Actually had a good conversation - his understanding of the law was that open carry is entirely legal, but his supervisor is ordering them to arrest people on park property pursuant to county park ordinances. We need an opinion from the AG or a DA before we move on this.

Parabellum and I had a great conversation, I learned a ton from him. We have something planned for next Saturday, pm me if you wanna roll with - this will be in a much larger area than Grand Avenue, you may be flat out impressed by this idea.

Seems to make more sense to pm about these meetings - we don't want the wrong kind of people anticipating our moves.

AaronS

imported post

That was sure a long walk. I would agree about the park carry. One thing at a time might be a good idea.

I also agree about somewhat watching what you plan on the web. I am very sure we have some unwanted guests around by now.

Very glad it went well for you today.

Aaron

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Anyone notice that the news agencies are backing off coverage of people open carrying?

This is at the urging of the police departments so reporters will not be on scene to video any incidents giving the open carrier a stronger position.

The police simply tell the news agency to back off or they won't be getting an exclusives when real the big stories come along.

The news agencies do not care about your rights they only care about ratings.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Anyone notice that the news agencies are backing off coverage of people open carrying?

This is at the urging of the police departments so reporters will not be on scene to video any incidents giving the open carrier a stronger position.
The news cycle is always relatively short. Thats why it was important to take advantage of news media interest when it was strongest. I think the issue got 'good' coverage during that time. More would have been great, but thats not typical of news media (for any story)

I'm not disagreeing with you per se, but at the same time, do you have any reason to believe the police departments have had any communication with reporters or news directors? That seems like a stretch to me. The media doesn't care what the police say. And the media doesn't wait around for the police to call when a story comes up. News doesn't work like that. The media monitors police scanners, dispatch logs, arrest records, etc scanning for stories, and those are ALL public records. News media does care about ratings, but they don't wait for the police to "call them". And I think like every other topic on the news, open carry is going to cool off in the media's eyes until something new and earth shattering happens. Its just the way news works.

I do think that as far as news stories go, open carry DID make a big enough splash for a week or two there that the awareness level (of the legality of open carry) was shot forward miles ahead of where we were. If before the AG memo and subsequent coverage maybe 5% of the general public knew open carry was legal, perhaps maybe 30 to 50% of the general public know now.

The attorney general and the news picked the ball up and got it over the top of the mountain for us. But the ball is now back in our court (as citizens) to continue to move it forward, continue to build on the new awareness and not let the cause fall victim to complacency and forgetfullness.

Thats why its so important for people to get out on a regular basis and open carry every opportunity they have to do so. Continue to solidify awareness and normalize the general public to seeing holstered sidearms on law-abiding citizens.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Each department has a media officer who will speak to the media concerning department news and ongoing investigations. There is definitely a I'll scratch your back , you scratch mine attitude between the departments and the media.

The only way this doesn't apply for the media is if there is a huge story such as the police officer buying drugs or a homicide involving an officer (Crandon, WI) or something big like that which brings ratings.

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

eleuthera wrote:
We open holstered our way into the park and spoke with a sherrif's deputy that was still there - he told us it was unrelated to us. Actually had a good conversation - his understanding of the law was that open carry is entirely legal, but his supervisor is ordering them to arrest people on park property pursuant to county park ordinances. We need an opinion from the AG or a DA before we move on this.

Milwaukee County Ordinance 47.05 makes it unlawful for anyone to possess a firearm within any county park. This should be preempted but also carries a $800 penalty. I am trying to get an opinion out of the county corporation counsel through my supervisor who is a strict constituationalist. To say the least, it has been slow going.

It is this little glitch that forced Mr. Greg to move the Milwaukee area Memorial Day OC picnic to private property for the time being.

eleuthera

imported post

FYI - I will have the news clip up on youtube in a couple days, and the entire audio exchange cleaned and posted in the same timeframe. I'm hoping to get some larger media attention on the movement by spreading the news clip, I wonder if rush limbaugh, savage,or hannity would pick it up?

eleuthera

imported post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hJ9dzgvAkI

They honestly could not have taken a worse portion of that interview - they were totally slanted the whole time. "Was testing that law" I wasn't testing anything, I was daring Flynn to make good on this unlawful promise.

I'm honestly pretty pissed off - the earlier runs of this story were way better. Oh well, better than nothing.

eleuthera

imported post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hJ9dzgvAkI

They honestly could not have taken a worse portion of that interview - they were totally slanted the whole time. "Was testing that law" I wasn't testing anything, I was daring Flynn to make good on his unlawful promise.

I'm honestly pretty pissed off - the earlier runs of this story were way better. Oh well, better than nothing.

gbu28

imported post

I tried to get the officer laughing but Grand Avenue mall security caught me and kicked us out.

Geoff

imported post

Well done.

I like how they cut away immediately after you state that your sidearm was unlawfully confiscated. Does anyone have a picture of where this sign is that states their ban on firearms?

geoff