• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Downtown Milwaukee

Geoff

imported post

In the first clip at about 4:20 he is asking if you're state certified. What is he referring to?

Does he think the state offers open carry permits?

GJD

imported post

I saw the news coverage. You maintained your composure. They obviously illegally detained you, but they dont care about the law.

Good job Riley.

AaronS

imported post

The depressing thing to think about is this.

If I took my car into a shop, would I be expected to tell the people how to change my oil?

But we are now in a position that makes us do the same, for cops. It looks like it is up to us to tell cops what the laws are.? I thought you needed some law related classes to become a cop in Milwaukee. How did it become our job to educate our cops?

patriotguy

imported post

Eleuthera,
In part two, around the 8 - 9 minute area, the one cop sounds like he agrees with you, but doesn't want to give his opinion. Did you get that feeling?
Overall, the LEOs sounded pretty professional. They're caught in a tough position, between what is legal, and what their boss wants.

Congratulations on remaining calm and handling the situation like a pro.

trailblazer2003

imported post

AaronS wrote:
The depressing thing to think about is this.

If I took my car into a shop, would I be expected to tell the people how to change my oil?

But we are now in a position that makes us do the same, for cops. It looks like it is up to us to tell cops what the laws are.? I thought you needed some law related classes to become a cop in Milwaukee. How did it become our job to educate our cops?
That's the problem when LEO's are allowed to be ignorant of the law. But on the same token we need to know every law, statue, and court ruling, not that it matters anyway. We can educate the rank and file until we are blue in the face, chances are they know anyway, but until the chiefs, mayors and town supervisors, etc recognize the laws it's an uphill battle.

eleuthera

imported post

Thanks GJD.

WI Pat - both officers essentially told me that they agreed with me, one saying that he doesn't have any problem with open carry but that the mall security were a bunch of uneducated, whining prissies, and the other saying that the mall needs to either put up signs at the entrance or not call the cops. And I appreciate the props!

eleuthera

imported post

Geoff - Good ear, he was asking me if my job requires me to carry a gun. He was ruling out the possibility that I'm a PI with a permit to carry.

Max

imported post

eleuthera, you handled yourself very well during that encounter. You were polite, cooperative, you recorded the encounter and you let them know, that you knew the law. Textbook example how to deal with LEOs when open carrying. Well done.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Hey just a suggestion for everyone. You can download Google earth for free. In the software, if you are looking at a city such as milwaukee there is a measurement tool that actually measures in feet. It is very precise and would allow you to see which streets are outside the 1000 ft limit from the actual school zone. You can also highlight every school in the city.

I hope this helps.