• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry - Fredericksburg Area

Tricorn

imported post

Started the evening off by gassing the wife's car at Wawa at Rte 1 and Harrison Rd in Spotsy. Then went up Rte 1 to Rosner Toyota to pick up a part at the Parts Dept. Then went to the Optometrist in the Gateway Village shopping center on Rte 3 in Fredericksburg to pick up a pair of sunglasses. Then on to Logan's Roadhouse at the Spotsylvania Towne Center for dinner. The manager stopped by our table to make sure everything was good. Then home.

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

OCed today, had lunch at Burger King on rte 610. Went to Lowe's and Home Depot in North Stafford. This evening took the Javanese Princess to PHO 88 on Doc Stone for a quick supper. Nothing peculiar happened all day.

Tricorn

imported post

Went to Bivio Luciano Italian Restaurant at Courthouse Rd and Leavells Rd in Spotsy for dinner. Then to Giant Food for groceries. Didn't need much, but wandered around the store a bit. Then home.

Tricorn

imported post

Started the day by dropping off a prescription at the pharmacy in Giant Food on Courthouse Rd in Spotsy. Then on to BJ's Wholesale Club on Rte 3. Spent about an hour browsing through the place. Paid for our stuff and then home to unload it. This afternoon, went to Wawa at Rte 1 and Harrison Rd in Spotsy to gas up the wife's car. Then we went to lunch at Pancho Villa Mexican Restaurant for lunch. On the way home, swung by Giant Food to pickup my prescription. Good day.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

(Cross-posted to the restaurant carry thread)

For the better part of an hour, I thought I would have a good story to share.

I was wrong.

We were asked why we brought firearms to the Ryan's Family Steak House in Central Park. Manager (Randy) came by and asked me why I found it necessary to carry a firearm in there. I responded that I carry it everywhere, and he asked that next time I come in, I not bring it.

Needless to say, I informed him I would NOT be coming in again. At that point he just shrugged.

Best part? The couple across the aisle asked about it ("Not to be nosy, but did that manager just ask you to leave because of your firearm? I'll remember that. Too bad; it's a good restaurant.")

I will be contacting their comment line tomorrow; it's only open M-F.

AbNo

imported post

Tess wrote:

I was wrong.

We were asked why we brought firearms to the Ryan's Family Steak House in Central Park.  Manager (Randy) came by and asked me why I found it necessary to carry a firearm in there.  I responded that I carry it everywhere, and he asked that next time I come in, I not bring it.

Needless to say, I informed him I would NOT be coming in again.  At that point he just shrugged.

Best part?  The couple across the aisle asked about it ("Not to be nosy, but did that manager just ask you to leave because of your firearm?  I'll remember that.  Too bad; it's a good restaurant.")

Post that number. I'll give them a call as well.

TheFix

imported post

Why is it no matter what time you goto wawwa, I visit odd hours 3 am etc., They never give me a problem while OC'ing.

The service is always great and the clerks sometimes have an appreciative look on there face when the riffraff see your packing and decide to stop loitering.

TheFix

imported post

Tess wrote:

I was wrong.

We were asked why we brought firearms to the Ryan's Family Steak House in Central Park. Manager (Randy) came by and asked me why I found it necessary to carry a firearm in there. I responded that I carry it everywhere, and he asked that next time I come in, I not bring it.

Needless to say, I informed him I would NOT be coming in again. At that point he just shrugged.

Best part? The couple across the aisle asked about it ("Not to be nosy, but did that manager just ask you to leave because of your firearm? I'll remember that. Too bad; it's a good restaurant.")

Guess their policy has changed, cause I have OC'ed there before.

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Should have posted this earlier....but better late than never.

OC'ed 14 Oct. Went down to Costco in Spotsylvania Town Center to fill up the car and do some quick shopping in the store. OC'ed all through the store, no incidents. I get to the register, definitely the cashier and helper see my pistol. All finished with paying and another Costco employee comes up and addresses me by name. I start to think, "Oh boy, here comes the hassle about OC." Was I ever wrong, he just wanted to sell me the upgrade to "Executive" status. So the princess and I talk to him about that for a while and then off we go. No problems at Costco whatsoever!

Later that evening, the princess and I get my daughter, her two kids, and my son to celebrate my daughter's birthday. We go to South VietNam restaurant in Central Park. I have OCed there before with no probs. This night though, as I am paying the check at the register, the manager asked me if I am a police officer. I tell him no, that I just a free man like any other Virginian. The waiter standing nearby chimes in with "concealed carry permit!" I tell them that while I do have a permit, because their restaurant serves alcolhol, I must open carry and that no permit is required. They smile and nod. After that we bid them good night and were on our way home. All in all a pleasant experience. Perhaps when I eat there again I might be able to hold a longer conversation with them. Pretty nice folks there, one of the ladies was flirting with my 5 y.o. grandson.

Oh and Tess, I have OCed at that Ryan's restaurant on numerous occasions and never had a problem there. I'll OC there again soon and advise if I have probs.

Slowhand

imported post

A friend of mine that I work with told me an interesting OC story. He was at a Wawa in Stafford, late evening. He was OC'ing and just making small talk with the employees. I guess he was there at least a half hour. Well, I guess somebody saw him and called the cops to report "a man with a gun". Well, needless to say, he reported that at least 8 Stafford Deputies and Police came screaming into the parking lot with lights flashing. The first cop got out of his car and saw my friend with his weapon secured in his holster. At that moment the officer calmed down and politely said something to the effect of "I see you are open carrying. You are OK." And they talked for a short time as the other officers stood down. I think the dispatchers need to ask more questions of callers, like "Where is the weapon? Is it being brandished or pointed at anyone? Is somebody being threatened?"

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I agree, 911 operators need to ask more questions in situations such as your friend's. We are pretty fortunate to have some pretty good deputies in Stafford. Unfortunately, each month we become more like Fairfax county.

paramedic70002

imported post

Hate to break this to you folks, but dispatchers are the KEY to any successful response. Yep, the rusty, bent and dented KEY.

I have worked in large and small rural and urban systems. Dispatchers very frequently provide incomplete of inaccurate information. This either because they get incomplete and inaccurate information, or they are just overworked, underpaid , think they've given you all the info you need, and/or incompetent.

Anecdote:

Dispatched to overturned vehicle, unknown injuries. On arrival find overturned schol bus with about 20 kids, mostly uninured. Ask dispatch if they know this is a school bus. Yep. They didn't want to put that information out over the radio and get everybody excited!

SIGguy229

imported post

Slowhand wrote:
A friend of mine that I work with told me an interesting OC story. He was at a Wawa in Stafford, late evening. He was OC'ing and just making small talk with the employees. I guess he was there at least a half hour. Well, I guess somebody saw him and called the cops to report "a man with a gun". Well, needless to say, he reported that at least 8 Stafford Deputies and Police came screaming into the parking lot with lights flashing. The first cop got out of his car and saw my friend with his weapon secured in his holster. At that moment the officer calmed down and politely said something to the effect of "I see you are open carrying. You are OK." And they talked for a short time as the other officers stood down. I think the dispatchers need to ask more questions of callers, like "Where is the weapon? Is it being brandished or pointed at anyone? Is somebody being threatened?"
Which Wawa? The one by I-95 or further down the road? Funny (but still sad) to hear about this...

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well, the Javanese princess got up today and decided that she wanted to have a late breakfast. So we headed on over to the new (fairly new) Anita's in Stafford near the intersection of U.S. Rte 1 and Rte. 610. We had thier "famous" breakfast burrito. It was ok. Entire time I was OC, no comments, no strange looks, etc...

Again, a non-event.:)

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SIGguy229 wrote:
Slowhand wrote:
Which Wawa? The one by I-95 or further down the road? Funny (but still sad) to hear about this...
I've been in the WAWA at the corner of Eustace and 610 on numerous occasions while OC. I have never had a problem there.

Slowhand

imported post

SIGguy229 wrote:
Slowhand wrote:
I am not sure. I will have to ask him. I know this shouldn't mean anything, but my friend is black and he sometimes "dresses down". So, someone could have looked at his attire and judged him by that.

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Slowhand wrote:
SIGguy229 wrote:
Slowhand wrote:
I am not sure. I will have to ask him. I know this shouldn't mean anything, but my friend is black and he sometimes "dresses down". So, someone could have looked at his attire and judged him by that.
Sounds like Danbus has a brother in Stafford....

Tricorn

imported post

Monday (10/29),OCed at Carrabba's Italian Restaurant at Central Park in Fredericksburg for dinner and to attend the 2nd Amendment Rally for Chris Yakabouski, candidate for State Senate 17th District. Larry Pratt of GOA spoke. Del. Mark Cole (88th district) was in attendance as were Paul Jost and Dick Black, both vying for Rep. JoAnn Davis' 1st CD seat. First time at one of these shindigs, Republicans wall-to-wall. Was an interesting evening, shook a lot of hands. This was my first time OCing at Carrabba's. No problems. Don't even know if anyone noticed.

Tuesday (10/30)went to Giant Food on Courthouse Rd in Spotsy to pick up some prescriptions and a few grocery items. Then went toRuby Tuesday's at Mine Rd and Rte 1 in Spotsy for dinner.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Update on Ryans in Fredericksburg:

I submitted a description of the encounter, and informed them I wouldn't be back, nor would the couple at the next table. I stated if it wasn't their policy, their manager had cost them business.

Their reply:
Code:
Dear Mrs.   xxxx,

Thank you for taking the time to email; your honest feedback is greatly
appreciated.  You are a valued guest and we hope you will give us the
opportunity to "exceed your expectations" the next time you dine with
us.

I checked with HR and we do not allow fire arms in the building unless
it is a law enforcement person. Thank You.

Sincerely,Heather M.  BerresGuest Relations Coordinator
Ref # 79102
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sent in return:
Code:
Dear Ms. Berres:

How can a building be a law enforcement person?

Virginia law permits firearms - openly with or without a permit, and concealed
with a permit - in most locations. I do hope you realize that your policy will cause a drop in patronage. The restaurant in Fredericksburg
is less than one mile, prominent on a major street, from where a quarterly gun show is held - vendors come from all over the state and
stay 3 days, and its patrons frequent businesses along that street. 

I will, however, ensure that the vendors and patrons I know are made
aware of your policy. I'm sorry you have chosen to forfeit business by
denying law-abiding individuals their options.

Tess Ailshire

And apparently their Guest Relations Coordinator:
- can't read. I said I wouldn't be back; there'd be no "next time"
- doesn't understand HR sets policies for employees