• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry - Fredericksburg Area

Tricorn

I always look at/around the door. I figure if there is no sign there, I'm good to go. I know the Tompkins Bldg. had one. I was surprised when I didn't see it. I actually stopped and looked all over the door, couldn't find it.

It has been a long, cold, snowy, wet winter. Pretty much required/defaulted to CC. Now that the weather has warmed up I'll be back to OCing.

Tricorn

Wife and I have been doing some "housecleaning". Have made multiple trips over the last month or so taking trash the dump and donating stuff to a new thrift store (Re-Tail on Lafayette Blvd. All the proceeds go to help the animals of Rikki's Refuge in Orange.) Haven't been in the main part of the store (looking to get rid of stuff, not buy more) but have been in the donation area several times. Other than a couple of looks at the dump, no issues.

blade10

OC at Quaker Steak and Lube. Nothing to report, just a few quick glances as often happens.

Blade

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Tricorn

Rundown from last week. OCed at BJ's, Crown Jewelers (downtown), Lancaster's Barbershop, Mimi's (breakfast), Wawa (Cosner's Corner), Giant (Courthouse Rd - Spotsy), Lowe's (Southpoint II), Wegman's, and Renato's.

POPS VA

I went to get a haircut Friday at KG Hair and Tan. I had just paid and was preparing to leave when a gentleman who had come in just after I did waved me over while eyeballing my sidearm. He quietly asked me if I got alot of grief because I OCed. I replied "Frankly, most people don't even notice." Surprised by my answer he tokd me he had just puchased his first handgun. After a nice conversation about OC vs CC, and my references to OCDO and VCDL he shook my hand and thanked me for understanding and supporting our 2A rights. I left feeling very positive.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
I went to get a haircut Friday at KG Hair and Tan. I had just paid and was preparing to leave when a gentleman who had come in just after I did waved me over while eyeballing my sidearm. He quietly asked me if I got alot of grief because I OCed. I replied "Frankly, most people don't even notice." Surprised by my answer he tokd me he had just puchased his first handgun. After a nice conversation about OC vs CC, and my references to OCDO and VCDL he shook my hand and thanked me for understanding and supporting our 2A rights. I left feeling very positive.

Good work. I am seeing more and more of this kind of interaction being posted here on the various Virginia forum threads. We need to keep on being good, normal ambassadors for the open carry of properly holstered handguns...

Last edited:

Tricorn

OC this past week: Giant (Courthouse Rd), Wegman's, Rosner Toyota, BJ's, NSWCFCU (Massaponax), Re-Tail Thrift Store, Mimi's, La Petite Auberge, Wawa (Harrison Rd & Rte 1).

mkatzpp

Not sure this has been mentioned. Went to paragon theaters today in Fred. Was concealing (I'm not an OC guy) and there was a sign at the ticket ripping stations.

I snapped a quick pic on my phone as I was passing by. I could've gotten a much better photo but I was already ignoring the sign and didn't want to draw attention to myself and generate any suspicion.

qy7yqamu.jpg

Tricorn

Not sure this has been mentioned. Went to paragon theaters today in Fred. Was concealing (I'm not an OC guy) and there was a sign at the ticket ripping stations.

I snapped a quick pic on my phone as I was passing by. I could've gotten a much better photo but I was already ignoring the sign and didn't want to draw attention to myself and generate any suspicion.

qy7yqamu.jpg

Last time I was there, they also had a sign on the counter at the manned ticket kiosk next to the elevator across from the popcorn stand.

birdus

Just in case you aren't seeing the pattern here, of course they have a nice selection. Their prices are well above even retail on some of the more popular items. There was a time about a year ago I was looking for a particular gun, they were the only store out of a half-dozen within 50 miles that had it, and again, there was a reason for that. I refuse to be gouged in times of shortage, and I refuse to patronize gougers in times of plenty.

TFred

Yeah, I hate that stupid free market thingie. Lousy free market.

All sarcasm aside, of course they have products when their prices are high and of course other companies who refused to let pricing have its natural effect were completely sold out of products when demand was high! This is how the free market works and that's how the free market's pricing mechanism works!

Please don't call it "gouging" unless you truly are opposed to the free market (something we have less and less of in this country, as the government interferes more and more). Let me recommend an excellent book which every American should read (especially politicians!!!), written by the great conservative economist Thomas Sowell:

http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Economics-Common-Sense-Economy/dp/0465022529

Cheers from a fellow limited-government loving, individual-liberty loving, economic-freedom loving open carrier from Washington!

Jay

ron73440

I have trouble calling it gouging because if no one bought them at that price, the price would have to come down.

Just because others are willing to spend more than you doesn't mean they are getting taken advantage of.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have trouble calling it gouging because if no one bought them at that price, the price would have to come down.

Just because others are willing to spend more than you doesn't mean they are getting taken advantage of.

Is the difference then to be if it is an essential - something you must have like food, water, gasoline?

If it is a want/would like to have in short supply, then raising the price drastically is not gouging?

Should the price be 10% above market may be considered acceptable, but 3 times the normal rate increase over night is likely gouging.

Much would seem to be in intent.....a very nebulous thing.

TFred

Sad attempts to defend their practice make me laugh.

As the customer, *I* am the one who makes the decision on whether they are gouging or not, and my decision is yes, they were. End of debate.

TFred

ron73440

Sad attempts to defend their practice make me laugh.

As the customer, *I* am the one who makes the decision on whether they are gouging or not, and my decision is yes, they were. End of debate.

TFred

Exactly, and if enough people agree, then the price will drop.

ron73440

Is the difference then to be if it is an essential - something you must have like food, water, gasoline?

If it is a want/would like to have in short supply, then raising the price drastically is not gouging?

Should the price be 10% above market may be considered acceptable, but 3 times the normal rate increase over night is likely gouging.

Much would seem to be in intent.....a very nebulous thing.

If things are in short supply, high prices are a signal for other suppliers to get their items to the area affected by the shortage. Price controls will prolong the shortage because people won't think twice about buying more than they need and there is no real incentive to divert goods from other areas to increase supply.

But the most important part is if you think it's too expensive then you don't have to buy it.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If things are in short supply, high prices are a signal for other suppliers to get their items to the area affected by the shortage. Price controls will prolong the shortage because people won't think twice about buying more than they need and there is no real incentive to divert goods from other areas to increase supply.

But the most important part is if you think it's too expensive then you don't have to buy it.
At the risk of being repetitious - that doesn't work for essentials/needs: food, gasoline, medicines, housing, etc.

Those on fixed or limited income, after reducing or eliminating wants/luxuries, must then decide which essential can be cut when projected outgo exceeds income.

Enter the gouger and all bets are off. The consumer is in a reactive mode.