• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Planning an OC event in VA and have some questions

BARELY ILLEGAL

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
What was the question again?

<synopsis of thread>

Is it legal to OC a rifle on public land near National Airport?

A: Probably.

Is it a good idea?

No.

Any more questions?

Synopsis of thread: I am putting together a rally whose message is "Restore the Constitution." I intend on OC'ing rifle and pistol, and I imagine a few others will too. So I'm looking for a location as close to DC as legally possible to do this. Gravelly Point looks to be the spot b/c it is closest. The overall premise is "as close to DC as possible."

The message, IMO, requires maximum amplification and leveraging of whatever number of people show up. Showing up at a political rally armed gets coverage. 1 million people on 9-12 getsvery little coverage, and not even coverage of the main message, but rather a few fringe opinions.

Most posters agree with your statement above that what I intend is a bad idea. My question, then, if you disagree with my tactics, is basically this: How then would you better deliver the simple messageI have outlined, that the constitution is not being followed and that needs to be? And please do not suggest something that has already been done to no avail.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:
longwatch wrote:
Let me get this straight, a bunch of guys with rifles are going to stand under the flight path of Reagan National Airport.

Ok the antis are going to have a field day with that picture and if anyone has a negligent discharge we can certainly expect a push to shut down the national parks to carry.

I'm sorry I don't see how this helps the cause, it seems quite the opposite to me.

The main event would not be in the parking lot close to the airport, but up toward the north end of Gravelly Point near the bridge going into DC. "As close to DC as possible," not as close to the airport as possible. Everyone would be instructed to carry their rifles on their backs, muzzle down, and unloaded, if they chose to bring rifles. The point of this is to step right up to the line and get in Washington's face as much as possible, notto do anything unsafe.

I've been to tea party events,health care protest events, etc, and the politicians and MSM could care less. 9-12 had a million plus people on the Mall, but didCNN or MSNBC or Robert Gibbs, or Nancy Pelosi, or Harry Ried EVER, EVER acknowledge ANY of the 9-12 list of values and principles??? Did they? Did they acknowledge the 'Can You Hear Us Now" protests? Nope! Have most on here even heard of the "Can You Hear Us Now?" events?

Can They Hear Us Now?? The answer is 'no.'
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the effect of those rallies, or the upcoming ones, the true proof of their effect is in elections. No rally or movement is really going to change a politician or those solidly for or against a cause but it may change the views of the folks in the middle. Any tactic that may drive those undecided folks away is a bad idea obviously. Judging by recent polls in NJ and VA folks are pretty motivated to push back against the big G, we are just going to have to be patient.

I'm pretty sure most of us here feel as unhappy as you do about the conduct of our government in relationship to our rights. Its just that we have trouble seeing this action as anything but counterproductive, really what is the reward from this? What outcome are you trying to achieve? The big G changing its ways? Probably not so likely.

BARELY ILLEGAL

imported post

longwatch wrote:
BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:
longwatch wrote:
Let me get this straight, a bunch of guys with rifles are going to stand under the flight path of Reagan National Airport.

Ok the antis are going to have a field day with that picture and if anyone has a negligent discharge we can certainly expect a push to shut down the national parks to carry.

I'm sorry I don't see how this helps the cause, it seems quite the opposite to me.

The main event would not be in the parking lot close to the airport, but up toward the north end of Gravelly Point near the bridge going into DC. "As close to DC as possible," not as close to the airport as possible. Everyone would be instructed to carry their rifles on their backs, muzzle down, and unloaded, if they chose to bring rifles. The point of this is to step right up to the line and get in Washington's face as much as possible, notto do anything unsafe.

I've been to tea party events,health care protest events, etc, and the politicians and MSM could care less. 9-12 had a million plus people on the Mall, but didCNN or MSNBC or Robert Gibbs, or Nancy Pelosi, or Harry Ried EVER, EVER acknowledge ANY of the 9-12 list of values and principles??? Did they? Did they acknowledge the 'Can You Hear Us Now" protests? Nope! Have most on here even heard of the "Can You Hear Us Now?" events?

Can They Hear Us Now?? The answer is 'no.'
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the effect of those rallies, or the upcoming ones, the true proof of their effect is in elections. No rally or movement is really going to change a politician or those solidly for or against a cause but it may change the views of the folks in the middle. Any tactic that may drive those undecided folks away is a bad idea obviously. Judging by recent polls in NJ and VA folks are pretty motivated to push back against the big G, we are just going to have to be patient.

I'm pretty sure most of us here feel as unhappy as you do about the conduct of our government in relationship to our rights. Its just that we have trouble seeing this action as anything but counterproductive, really what is the reward from this? What outcome are you trying to achieve? The big G changing its ways? Probably not so likely.

I wouldn't dismiss the rallies, some of which I attended, as being unproductive. But I will say that they have not been productive enough. Thank you for the response and questions as it allows me to get into the crux of the matter and flesh out the position I am advocating. I'll be the first to admit that it is very out of the box and unconventional, so I am definitely put in a position of having the uphill battle of explaing it. So, first to your questions:

What is the reward? What outcome are you trying to achieve?

One of the outcomesI am going for is to get a number, the bigger the better, to gather in support of restoring the constitution in a gun-legal place as close to DC as possible, get media coverage, and get it done without "incident." If decent turnout w/ media coverage and no incident, then I would call it a success. What does this accomplish, you still ask? It accomplishes this: It demonstrates to the constitutionalist/ Patriot/ 2A/ conservative community that it can in fact be done. A group of determined individuals can step right up to the line, armed, and say their piece about the situation. It will also show to this audience that it is bieng done and what it looks like. Some of THIS target audience might get to thinking that armed rallies are at least possible, and they might not have even thought of the idea before. SO.....perhaps the NEXT "Restore the Constitution" rally might be bigger. While some may say we're a bunch of right wing loony tunes, I guarantee that some would see the event on TV and say "Boy, I wish I knew about this thing so I could have gone," or "I'd like to do that some time and get the message across loud and clear that we mean business." Speaking as an individual only here, I'll say that a significant part of my thinking in terms of target audience is the constitutionalist/ 2A segment of the population, especially the "three percent." If the hard core can be rallied, the prospect of bigger "Restore the Constitution" rallies could loom on the horizon. This prospect, of a group of highly determined individuals stepping right up to the line, might just be enough for TPTB, especially the Supreme Court, who are unelected and highly powerful as interpreters of constitutional law, to take a minute and think about actually reading what the constitution says CORRECTLY.

Now I'm not saying to go out and intentionally alienate the majority or the "middle," but let me explain why so much emphasis on a small minority who, for the most part, agrees with me on guns and the constitution. As I've said already in this post, the constitution was meant to be a guarantee of individual rights protected AGAINST the fickle will of the majority. This is a republic, not a democracy, not majority rule. However,I see most conservatives as simply playing the "majority rules" game as if it's the only game in town. It's not the only game in town. If you resign yourself to only playing the majority-rulesgame as if it's the only one in town, how can you expect to protect the rights of a political minority against the mob rule will of the majority?

That is a questionI have asked on this thread which has so far gone unanswered. I hope I have answered your question, and i really look forward to your answer to mine.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:
...SNIP

What about my questions above?  I get that a lot of posters here think what I'm doing is counterproductive, and that's disappointing.  While I'm not here to ask permission, but I would like to make sure that what I do intend goes as smoothly as possible.  I am willing to answer any questions and address any objections, and I am open minded about making adjustments.  BUT, thus far, my questions above and reasons for doing this have not been answered.  All of the objections I've encountered, I've already taken into effect.  Yes, I would rather not have to travel from my home in Georgia, take time off, go just south of DC, research gun laws, etc, etc, etc.  BUT, it seems to me that what I'm doing is, at the very least, a proportionate response to the outrageous unlawful expansion of government that has gone on recently and has just been put into hyperdrive.

But maybe I'm wrong.  If so, please have a look at the questions and points I've raised and address them and explain why a different course of action would be better.

In fact people have tried to answer your questions, you are just not listening.

I was born in Virginia and I have lived a lot of my life in Fairfax and Prince William counties. In the 1960's I went to school in DC for a time. I have seen every kind of protest you can imagine take place right here in River City. In faxct there havce been a few that came here for the exact purposes uyou state as the reasons you want to come.

We had a farmer who spent two days in the pond near the Viet Nam memorial protesting banking practices, we had a guy with a car load of rifles who wanted the gun laws repealed, we had a guy without a bomb who threatened to blow up the Washington monument as a protest. The list goes on and on, as does the range of protest methods. In the end the message is lost behind the pictures of a guy with a gun.

THEY WILL NOT HEAR YOUR MESSAGE USING THE TECHNIQUES YOU ARE PLANNING TO USE. You will scare a lot of people for sure, but your message will be lost.

I am telling you that what you are planning is a bad idea on so many scales it is impossible to list everything in this format. In the end the press here will portray you as a nut case and move on. What people here are telling you is that non of us wants to be painted with that brush as it will cause damage to firearms ownership and OC goals.

In the end what you plan will be a wonderful Easter present to the Washington Post. Since I don't read that rag, I will have to watch your arrest on TV.

The answer to your last question is use your brain and not your bravado, and listen to the people who know the terrain you are planning to enter.

Regards

bohdi

imported post

Ok let me try. I admire yourspunk and verve.

There are many folks here in VA that are part of many organizations, which are working hard to change the laws in this state that are currently unfriendly to gun owners. What you are proposing could jeapordize these opportunitiesin the coming year. There has been alot of success made up here against anti's, the Brady/MMM, and others within the legislature by these organizations. It's taken alot of time and effort.

Being an out of stater you wouldn't know that. You need to realize that we are going to get a little vociferous if you think we are just going to let you go through with this idea and not think about the longer term impacts to our welfare. When you leave, you don't have to worry about any negative reprocussions for your actions or the impacts to the people of this state. You don't live here. This is the MAIN reason why you are getting the answers you are.

You want an alternative that isn't going to completely F'up any chances VA has for getting the laws here changed? I'll give you two.

1) Pick another state, perhaps MD. That's right next to DC.

2) http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,575528,00.html

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I think you're talking to the wrong people here. We are a little too dull for this kind of demonstration.

Now there's a fellow named Tom Robinson with the tea party.
Muse_Award_001-2_bigger.jpg

You can reach him on twitter as steamer5. He's the man to talk to.

BARELY ILLEGAL

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
In the end what you plan will be a wonderful Easter present to the Washington Post. Since I don't read that rag, I will have to watch your arrest on TV.

The answer to your last question is use your brain and not your bravado, and listen to the people who know the terrain you are planning to enter.

Regards

My arrest for what?? I'm trying to avoid that by looking at the law. My idea is to get as close to DC as legally possible, NOT break the law.I totally understand not wanting to screw- up gun rights for everyone else, whether in VA or nationwide. But is to excercise one's rights full really "screwing it up?"

BARELY ILLEGAL

imported post

bohdi wrote:
Ok let me try. I admire yourspunk and verve.

There are many folks here in VA that are part of many organizations, which are working hard to change the laws in this state that are currently unfriendly to gun owners. What you are proposing could jeapordize these opportunitiesin the coming year. There has been alot of success made up here against anti's, the Brady/MMM, and others within the legislature by these organizations. It's taken alot of time and effort.

Being an out of stater you wouldn't know that. You need to realize that we are going to get a little vociferous if you think we are just going to let you go through with this idea and not think about the longer term impacts to our welfare. When you leave, you don't have to worry about any negative reprocussions for your actions or the impacts to the people of this state. You don't live here. This is the MAIN reason why you are getting the answers you are.

You want an alternative that isn't going to completely F'up any chances VA has for getting the laws here changed? I'll give you two.

1) Pick another state, perhaps MD. That's right next to DC.

2) http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,575528,00.html

1- OC at a rally in MD? I'm trying NOT to break the law here.

2- 'pink slips," not as bold of a statement, and I don't think the MSM even covered it. I've ALREADY done stuff like that and will continue to do so, but it does not fulfil the requirements of the kind of message I'm going for. Also, the "pink slip" thing references elections, so it seems to be playing the "majority rule" gameI referenced in my last long post. So I'll ask the same question again (which has so far gone unanswered) If one only recognizes the "majority rules" game as being the only game in town, then HOW can one seriously expect to protect the rights of political minorities against the mob-rule tyranny of the majority that our constitution was put in place to protect against?

This is a republic, not a mob-rule democracy.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I also admire your spunk and nerve, but I have to ally myself with the others on this forum who have given reasoned and well thought out responses as to why this rally you're planning is a bad idea right now.

The founding fathers created a wonderful vehicle of rights when this country was formed. Over time that vehicle has been dismantled piece by piece until it's nearly unworkable.

I see your ambitious rally as an effort to supercharge the efforts that have been made to restore our rights according to the constitution, but I feel that you're putting a V-8 engine on a go-kart. It's too much too soon.

No disrespect intended, but I'm staying home.

Oh, and activities being conducted within the law have never prevented people from being arrested for them.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:
...SNIP

2- 'pink slips," not as bold of a statement, and I don't think the MSM even covered it. I've ALREADY done stuff like that and will continue to do so, but it does not fulfil the requirements of the kind of message I'm going for. Also, the "pink slip" thing references elections, so it seems to be playing the "majority rule" gameI referenced in my last long post. So I'll ask the same question again (which has so far gone unanswered) If one only recognizes the "majority rules" game as being the only game in town, then HOW can one seriously expect to protect the rights of political minorities against the mob-rule tyranny of the majority that our constitution was put in place to protect against?

You see the problem with your question, and the reason nobody will try to respond directly to it is that the premise on which it is based is flawed. Your question simply makes no sense. What majority are you talking about? Yes this country is run under a representative majority rule system, but that has nothing to do with protesting or what you have outlined as your planned activity. People have tried to tell you that the BEST alternative to what you are planning is to attend the 2nd amendment event already planned, but leave your rifle home. You refuse to listen to that answer because it is not what you want to hear.

As for your arrest, you clearly are not old enough to remember the protests of the 1960's and early 1970's. Good god man four people in my age group were shot and killed ON A COLLEGE CAMPUS. They were marching too, and guess what? They were NOT carrying rifles!

In this town (Washington DC and surrounds) you do not need to actually be guilty of breaking the law to be arrested for protesting. For example, like it or not, do you have a permit for your march? I bet you do not, and I bet youdid not know that you might need one. Since what you are planning is actually in Arlington county, do you have a clue what it is like dealing with them? I do and trust me, no matter how hard you try to comply with the rules they set out, there will always be one they did not tell you about that can lead to your arrest.

Did you know that if you inadvertently set foot below the HIGH tide mark along the river front you will be in DC? If you have your gun with you, that would be a violation under DC law. Did you know that much of the park path you are thinking of using is on filled ground? Did you know that in places this fill area technically wanders into and out of the DC boundary because there are small islands used for it that are actually in DC even though they look like part of Virginia? The police know this and they are under no obligation to tell you about it or stop you until you violate the law (read that as arrest you). They can arrest you simply because you are attracting so much attention that traffic on the nearby GW parkway is affected adversely.

I have seen this hundreds of times, and I have been the victim of it myself. In the late 1960's there was an anti war protest in DC. I and a few thousand other people were scooped up by police and herded into a temporary compound on the mall. I WAS NOT EVEN ONE OF THE PROTESTERS. In any case these mass arrests were LATER ruled unconstitutional, but that did not stop the actual arrests from occurring. Not one person was ever taken to trial for those arrests on either side of the police line.

So here is the deal. If you want to pee in someone’s yard, do it in your own yard down there in Georgia. If you want to look like an idiot in the press, do it in Georgia where it will not be associated with people in my home town. If you want to look threatening by carrying a rifle do it in Georgia, not in front of the Pentagon or under the flight path of a major airport in my home state. And just for the record, no matter what other excuse you might try to give, there is NO reason to carry your rifle in this setting except to intimidate observers.

Regards

bohdi

imported post

BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:
2- 'pink slips," not as bold of a statement, and I don't think the MSM even covered it.

Fox news isn't main stream?

If you are the only one running around saying everyone else is insane, and everyone else is saying you are - who's wrong?

BARELY ILLEGAL

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:
...SNIP

You see the problem with your question, and the reason nobody will try to respond directly to it is that the premise on which it is based is flawed. Your question simply makes no sense. What majority are you talking about? Yes this country is run under a representative majority rule system, but that has nothing to do with protesting or what you have outlined as your planned activity. People have tried to tell you that the BEST alternative to what you are planning is to attend the 2nd amendment event already planned, but leave your rifle home. You refuse to listen to that answer because it is not what you want to hear.

As for your arrest, you clearly are not old enough to remember the protests of the 1960's and early 1970's. Good god man four people in my age group were shot and killed ON A COLLEGE CAMPUS. They were marching too, and guess what? They were NOT carrying rifles!

In this town (Washington DC and surrounds) you do not need to actually be guilty of breaking the law to be arrested for protesting. For example, like it or not, do you have a permit for your march? I bet you do not, and I bet youdid not know that you might need one. Since what you are planning is actually in Arlington county, do you have a clue what it is like dealing with them? I do and trust me, no matter how hard you try to comply with the rules they set out, there will always be one they did not tell you about that can lead to your arrest.

Did you know that if you inadvertently set foot below the HIGH tide mark along the river front you will be in DC? If you have your gun with you, that would be a violation under DC law. Did you know that much of the park path you are thinking of using is on filled ground? Did you know that in places this fill area technically wanders into and out of the DC boundary because there are small islands used for it that are actually in DC even though they look like part of Virginia? The police know this and they are under no obligation to tell you about it or stop you until you violate the law (read that as arrest you). They can arrest you simply because you are attracting so much attention that traffic on the nearby GW parkway is affected adversely.

I have seen this hundreds of times, and I have been the victim of it myself. In the late 1960's there was an anti war protest in DC. I and a few thousand other people were scooped up by police and herded into a temporary compound on the mall. I WAS NOT EVEN ONE OF THE PROTESTERS. In any case these mass arrests were LATER ruled unconstitutional, but that did not stop the actual arrests from occurring. Not one person was ever taken to trial for those arrests on either side of the police line.

So here is the deal. If you want to pee in someone’s yard, do it in your own yard down there in Georgia. If you want to look like an idiot in the press, do it in Georgia where it will not be associated with people in my home town. If you want to look threatening by carrying a rifle do it in Georgia, not in front of the Pentagon or under the flight path of a major airport in my home state. And just for the record, no matter what other excuse you might try to give, there is NO reason to carry your rifle in this setting except to intimidate observers.

Regards

I'm in the process of looking into permits, high water mark, etc. Again, my intent is to get as close to DC as possible without incident. If GP does not look do-able, then there probably won't be too much going on there. From whatI understand a permit is neccessary for rallies consisting of 25 people or more, and I AM looking at this from as many angles as possible. THAT's why I'm on here posting everything up front. In any event,I do not intend on showing up the 19th with everything on and go right up to the street. Most likely, I would scout it out the 18th or earlier with pistol and rifle unloaded in the trunk of my car, walkup to the nearest LEO and let them know I have my weapons in the car unloaded and thatI intend on carrying them in the park, as legally allowed. PerhapsI might even leave my rifle in the trunk of my car, unloaded, and carry a pistol only.

Bottom line: my intent is to hold a "Restore the Constitution" rally as close to DC as possible in an area that is OC-legal on 19 April 2010. Is that such a problem so asto alarm the local 2A community into opposition?

Obviously, I do not intend on jumping right in and surprising anyone; and I am attempting to wade into it as smoothly as possible. I plan on being out there myself, so I certainly don't want to be arrested or worse.

Perhaps a new thread re-stating my intent a little more discreetly would be in order?

I really don't want to hamper the efforts of the local 2A activist community, but, unfortunately, carry is not allowed in DC, and NoVA is the closest one can get to DC and carry at a rally. In fact, I could not even do any of this in Georgia, my home state, because the law prohibits carry ,even by carry license holders, at political rallies. It's a Jim Crow law intended to prevent civil rights protestors from carrying weapons........INCLUDING RIFLES.........in order to defend themselves at "public gatherings."

bohdi

imported post

BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:
Again, my intent is to get as close to DC as possible without incident. If GP does not look do-able, then there probably won't be too much going on there. From whatI understand a permit is neccessary for rallies consisting of 25 people or more, and I AM looking at this from as many angles as possible. THAT's why I'm on here posting everything up front. In any event,I do not intend on showing up the 19th with everything on and go right up to the street. Most likely, I would scout it out the 18th or earlier with pistol and rifle unloaded in the trunk of my car, walkup to the nearest LEO and let them know I have my weapons in the car unloaded and thatI intend on carrying them in the park, as legally allowed. PerhapsI might even leave my rifle in the trunk of my car, unloaded, and carry a pistol only.

Bottom line: my intent is to hold a "Restore the Constitution" rally as close to DC as possible in an area that is OC-legal on 19 April 2010. Is that such a problem so asto alarm the local 2A community into opposition?

Obviously, I do not intend on jumping right in and surprising anyone; and I am attempting to wade into it as smoothly as possible. I plan on being out there myself, so I certainly don't want to be arrested or worse.

Perhaps a new thread re-stating my intent a little more discreetly would be in order?

I really don't want to hamper the efforts of the local 2A activist community, but, unfortunately, carry is not allowed in DC, and NoVA is the closest one can get to DC and carry at a rally. In fact, I could not even do any of this in Georgia, my home state, because the law prohibits carry ,even by carry license holders, at political rallies. It's a Jim Crow law intended to prevent civil rights protestors from carrying weapons........INCLUDING RIFLES.........in order to defend themselves at "public gatherings."

It sounds like you have a plan to get arrested, to be honest, and I'll give you credit, it sounds like a good plan for that. So to make sure you are as prepared as possible, let me provide this angle for you to consider.

You walk up to Mr. Statie Trooper or Mr. Local LEO, and tell them you have a car full of guns -- you might get a little more attention than you originally anticipated. Especially when you communicate to them you are from out of state. Here's why. Most citizens in VA wouldn't do that. I would even go as far as saying NONE of the people on the VA section of this board would bother, since we all pretty much have a grasp of the law in that regard.

If you wanted to make a bigger impact, hold the rally in DC, with plastic toy guns. It would be both symbolic and epic at the same time.

You state you want to get people to follow the constitution...

BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:

The constitution is not being followed; follow it!

Perhaps starting local to change the things in GA is a better avenue....get your local state laws fixed first and then maybe work on the bigger picture? You state constitution is every bit as important.It also doesn't require you to come up here and booger up what we are trying to achive. It might also save you a night in the pokey.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

bohdi wrote:
BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:
Perhaps starting local to change the things in GA is a better avenue....get your local state laws fixed first and then maybe work on the bigger picture? You state constitution is every bit as important.It also doesn't require you to come up here and booger up what we are trying to achive. It might also save you a night in the pokey.
+2
I expect that kind of thing from someone from Florida (South Bronx) but Georgia should have better manners.
Take a lesson from Montana. Get the state in order before taking on the Feds. Then you can smack the Hell out if them.

BARELY ILLEGAL

imported post

bohdi wrote:
BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:
Again, my intent is to get as close to DC as possible without incident. If GP does not look do-able, then there probably won't be too much going on there. From whatI understand a permit is neccessary for rallies consisting of 25 people or more, and I AM looking at this from as many angles as possible. THAT's why I'm on here posting everything up front. In any event,I do not intend on showing up the 19th with everything on and go right up to the street. Most likely, I would scout it out the 18th or earlier with pistol and rifle unloaded in the trunk of my car, walkup to the nearest LEO and let them know I have my weapons in the car unloaded and thatI intend on carrying them in the park, as legally allowed. PerhapsI might even leave my rifle in the trunk of my car, unloaded, and carry a pistol only.

It sounds like you have a plan to get arrested, to be honest, and I'll give you credit, it sounds like a good plan for that. So to make sure you are as prepared as possible, let me provide this angle for you to consider.

You walk up to Mr. Statie Trooper or Mr. Local LEO, and tell them you have a car full of guns -- you might get a little more attention than you originally anticipated. Especially when you communicate to them you are from out of state. Here's why. Most citizens in VA wouldn't do that. I would even go as far as saying NONE of the people on the VA section of this board would bother, since we all pretty much have a grasp of the law in that regard.

If you wanted to make a bigger impact, hold the rally in DC, with plastic toy guns. It would be both symbolic and epic at the same time.

You state you want to get people to follow the constitution...

BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:

The constitution is not being followed; follow it!

Don't assume I'm not already trying that. I have donated time and effort to local constitutionalist causes, includingvolunteering for GA'smost seriousconstiotutionalist gubernatorial candidate. My point is not to jump right into "extreme" forms of activism; I've been doing the traditional kind already. My response at the local level to georgia's unconstitutionl, illegitimate, racist-origined, shouldn't be followed,public gathering law, for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HYvuPzobA8

BARELY ILLEGAL

imported post

peter nap wrote:
bohdi wrote:
BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:
+2
I expect that kind of thing from someone from Florida (South Bronx) but Georgia should have better manners.
Take a lesson from Montana. Get the state in order before taking on the Feds. Then you can smack the Hell out if them.

Most knowledgable folks I've spoken to, including Ceorgia Carry.org president, Ed Stone, say that the Montana Law has no teeth and amounts to symbolism only. I do work in support of tougher states rights laws "with teeth." Montana's law has no provision for smacking the hell out of anyone, and does not go far enough.

bohdi

imported post

BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:
Don't assume I'm not already trying that. I have donated time and effort to local constitutionalist causes, includingvolunteering for GA'smost seriousconstiotutionalist gubernatorial candidate. My point is not to jump right into "extreme" forms of activism; I've been doing the traditional kind already.
Cool man. Good on you then. Other than doing that and ghost writing legislation for your state elected officials and recruiting locally to speed up your efforts, I don't see what else you can be doing.

Putting on a display is not a bad idea. I don't want you to think that is the reason you are meeting some resistance here. The right type of display, in the right place, and the right time will be meaningful. I think alot of folks are trying to tell you that next year in our state is not (in our opinions) the right time or place, based on what we are trying to do for ourselves locally. Surely you have to understand that.

I think you'd be better served with plastic guns on the mall myself, like a flash mob. :) Less risky. It might be silly but here are what some other "protestors" have done in the same vein.

http://www.wethepeoplefoundation.org/Update/Update2008-05-17.htm

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

bohdi wrote:
BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:
Don't assume I'm not already trying that.  I have donated time and effort to local constitutionalist causes, including volunteering for GA's most serious constiotutionalist gubernatorial candidate.  My point is not to jump right into "extreme" forms of activism; I've been doing the traditional kind already. 
Cool man. Good on you then. Other than doing that and ghost writing legislation for your state elected officials and recruiting locally to speed up your efforts, I don't see what else you can be doing.

Putting on a display is not a bad idea. I don't want you to think that is the reason you are meeting some resistance here. The right type of display, in the right place, and the right time will be meaningful. I think alot of folks are trying to tell you that next year in our state is not (in our opinions) the right time or place, based on what we are trying to do for ourselves locally. Surely you have to understand that.

I think you'd be better served with plastic guns on the mall myself, like a flash mob. :) Less risky. It might be silly but here are what some other "protestors" have done in the same vein.

http://www.wethepeoplefoundation.org/Update/Update2008-05-17.htm

I agree with Bohdi on this. There is one other thing that you could do that would help Ga and a lot of other states. Work for incorporation of the 2nd amendment into the 14th. That would assure that the states would have to abide by it and effectively repeal all the most restrictive firearms laws.

I like the "plastic gun" suggestion. Just be sure they all have the politically correct orange tip. I still think the date is all wrong. April 19 will never be connected with anything by the press that is as positive as a revolutionary war event.

Regards