• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Planning an OC event in VA and have some questions

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

peter nap wrote:
Geeze, two days in a row agreeing with Hawkflyer:p

Been, there, done that, think you won't get arrested...I've got a bridge for you. If you didn't live through the 60's or 70's..you might want to read about them from those of us that did. Things haven't gotten better, they have gotten worse.

Full Circle. The Pride and the Shame, The Day our constitution had a stroke

Well ... S... happens. I too am in some degree of shock.
friday.gif

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I like the "Flash Mob" idea with plastic guns to make a point in places that don't allow OC. Sounds like an interesting concept to try at local malls.

Our "OC Dinners" have an effect on far more people than most of us realize. We had one last night at a local Fuddruckers. Our reason for this particulardinner at this particular time? It was a time-sensitive thing. One of our own (Pagan) had eaten at Red Robin while OCing. After his meal, he was asked not to bring his weapon next time he visited. Long story short, he contacted management up to the corporate level and they persisted in their feelings not to allow OCers. One of our own had a similar experience at Fuddruckers, but with a different outcome. They CHANGED their policy and their corporate people now support OCing.

We had a record turnout last night at Fuddruckers and spent over $400 there. Before our arrival, the place was "pretty dead" and the manager did get :shock:when I took my jacket off (it was raining). I explained to her about OC and gave her one of our "cards" that explains Virginia laws about OC.

We are going to send pics and receipts to Red Robin and a narrative about our dinner. We also had our local Sheriff come as an invited guest. He is a big supporter of OC and the Second Amendment.

:)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:
peter nap wrote:
bohdi wrote:
BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:
Most knowledgable folks I've spoken to, including Ceorgia Carry.org president, Ed Stone, say that the Montana Law has no teeth and amounts to symbolism only. I do work in support of tougher states rights laws "with teeth." Montana's law has no provision for smacking the hell out of anyone, and does not go far enough.
Then why in Hell don't you go to Montana and tell them what they're doing wrong...and leave Virginia alone.
Or better yet...join forces with the tea party. You have a lot in common.

BARELY ILLEGAL

imported post

peter nap wrote:
BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:
peter nap wrote:
bohdi wrote:
BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:
Most knowledgable folks I've spoken to, including Ceorgia Carry.org president, Ed Stone, say that the Montana Law has no teeth and amounts to symbolism only. I do work in support of tougher states rights laws "with teeth." Montana's law has no provision for smacking the hell out of anyone, and does not go far enough.
Then why in Hell don't you go to Montana and tell them what they're doing wrong...and leave Virginia alone.
Or better yet...join forces with the tea party. You have a lot in common.

Well, I guess I've been to a tea party in Atlanta; does that count? I'm not trying to tell Montana what they're doing wrong. Personally, I think they're making a good FIRST step.

What I'm trying to do hereis tell WASHINGTON, DC what they're doing wrong, NOT Montana.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Then why not go to DC?

You need not carry a firearm to make your point or be seen.
Lots of people make signs and get their 15 minutes of fame in DC. Why bother with Virginia at all?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Then why not go to DC?

You need not carry a firearm to make your point or be seen.
Lots of people make signs and get their 15 minutes of fame in DC. Why bother with Virginia at all?
It used to be called saber rattling. Makes a lot of noise, gets attention albeit frequently negative.

IMHO it is more about personal attention than results. When someone asks you not to do something in their neighborhood, it is generally considered mannerly to acquiesce - especially when there are other venues where it would be welcomed.

This puts me in the position of opposing the concept rather than being neutral on it.

Yata hey

ODA 226

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
bohdi wrote:
BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:
Don't assume I'm not already trying that. I have donated time and effort to local constitutionalist causes, includingvolunteering for GA'smost seriousconstiotutionalist gubernatorial candidate. My point is not to jump right into "extreme" forms of activism; I've been doing the traditional kind already.
Cool man. Good on you then. Other than doing that and ghost writing legislation for your state elected officials and recruiting locally to speed up your efforts, I don't see what else you can be doing.

Putting on a display is not a bad idea. I don't want you to think that is the reason you are meeting some resistance here. The right type of display, in the right place, and the right time will be meaningful. I think alot of folks are trying to tell you that next year in our state is not (in our opinions) the right time or place, based on what we are trying to do for ourselves locally. Surely you have to understand that.

I think you'd be better served with plastic guns on the mall myself, like a flash mob. :) Less risky. It might be silly but here are what some other "protestors" have done in the same vein.

http://www.wethepeoplefoundation.org/Update/Update2008-05-17.htm

I agree with Bohdi on this. There is one other thing that you could do that would help Ga and a lot of other states. Work for incorporation of the 2nd amendment into the 14th. That would assure that the states would have to abide by it and effectively repeal all the most restrictive firearms laws.

I like the "plastic gun" suggestion. Just be sure they all have the politically correct orange tip. I still think the date is all wrong. April 19 will never be connected with anything by the press that is as positive as a revolutionary war event.

Regards

And I support and agree damn near everything Hawkflyer has stated here.... Surprise!!!!!

Brother, please reconsider this. We have many other local issues that could be negatively affected by your actions.

BARELY ILLEGAL

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

IMHO it is more about personal attention than results. When someone asks you not to do something in their neighborhood, it is generally considered mannerly to acquiesce - especially when there are other venues where it would be welcomed.

This puts me in the position of opposing the concept rather than being neutral on it.

Yata hey

So I've put out the idea of an OC event, on an OC forum, and I get asked "not to do(it) in their neighborhood."Who exactly are the "someone's" asking me not to do this? This is just an internet forum about open carry. I'd like to know who exactly is asking me not to do what in "their neighborhood," before looking at any mannerly decisions that may or may not need to be made.

To be clear, I am trying to put together a "Restore the Constitution"rally at a carry-legal location as close to DC as possible.

Whoever from the Virginia "gun rights" or "open carry" community is asking me not to do what I've outlined in bold above, I ask that you identify yourselves by name and position, if applicable, so thatI may weigh such "mannerly" considerations. I'm identifying myself here as Daniel Almond, danieljalmond2004@gmail.com, 404-788-9735.

I'mconsidering Gravelly Point. I've sent in permit application paperwork for 19 April 2010. Maybe Gravelly will work, maybe it won't.Maybe I'll bother with posting a more "PC" post on here for the event, maybe I won't.

bohdi

imported post

Again, I admire your verve and spunk. Identifying who I am isn't going to change your opinion or the weighted value of my responses as you percieve them.

I am a citizen of VA, and have no affiliation with the ocdo website other than being a mere user who exchanges ideas with others. I attend the General Assembly meeting once a year in Richmond, our state capitol, armed, and talk to my representatives. I vote for the people who will help advance gun rights and legislation. I attend cook outs and go dining with others to raise awareness of citizens rights by open carrying and I do it alone. I have attended anti-gun meetings of organizations such as the Brady/Million Mom March to provide counter points to their statements, and have videotaped and posted them.

I have seen through others examples the reprocussions (good and bad) of what happens at demonstrations/rally's and other events in this state how the media - main stream or otherwise - portrays those events. I have been misquoted in a newspaper because of an editor wanting to spin a story a certain way.

I have met a good deal of the people you are receiving advice from on how to proceed. They are not cowards who balk at conflict, but season veterns who understand the system within the state and are very effective at organizing, staging, and executing things to achieve optimal impact. That is the goal, to fire for effect and hit the target. An example of this is the recent election of three very pro gun republicans to the Governor, Lt. Gov, andAttorney General.

There are many here who believe it or not are trying to help you, and do you a favor by saving you time, money and frustration. You've asked for feedback, you are getting it. The real question you should be asking yourself, is what is the point of holding the demonstration at Gravelly Point? What do you hope to accomplish as the over all result of your demonstration? What do you WANT and how do you know when you have achieved that?

Holding a Restore the Constitution rally is all fine and dandy. The thing you are missing is that you are going to use your weapons to garner attention to you and whomever else decides to buy into the idea. What will be reported in the news is a group of extremists and fringe believers have guns in a park and are behaving like an extremist militia group. For that reason people on this site are pushing back. You will be sending the wrong message that we have been working so hard to dispell.

I have no doubt you will get attention, but based on my experience with the battle plan you have it will not be the kind that you want or desire, and will not be positive for gun owners in our state.

This area is a mixed bag. As other have pointed out, we've been directly impacted by 9/11. We've had the anthrax attacks. We've had the DC sniper. We've had the deadliest attack on a police station in the history of the state. We've had Virginia Tech. All in the last nine years. There are ALOT, a HELL OF ALOT of people who will not react the way you think they will. You need to understand why. You need to understand that you ought to reconsider your goals.

You don't need guns to hold a restore the constitution rally. You need numbers.

A mass of people will get the media's attention. Especially if a flash mob shows up on the capital steps of 5 million people. Though you won't get anywhere near 100,000 for what you are planning. If you want to be gun oriented your best bet is to join forces with other rallys and demonstrations for next year.

I don't think it can be stated any clearer than that.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

bohdi wrote:
Again, I admire your verve and spunk. Identifying who I am isn't going to change your opinion or the weighted value of my responses as you percieve them.

I am a citizen of VA, and have no affiliation with the ocdo website other than being a mere user who exchanges ideas with others. I attend the General Assembly meeting once a year in Richmond, our state capitol, armed, and talk to my representatives. I vote for the people who will help advance gun rights and legislation. I attend cook outs and go dining with others to raise awareness of citizens rights by open carrying and I do it alone. I have attended anti-gun meetings of organizations such as the Brady/Million Mom March to provide counter points to their statements, and have videotaped and posted them.

I have seen through others examples the reprocussions (good and bad) of what happens at demonstrations/rally's and other events in this state how the media - main stream or otherwise - portrays those events. I have been misquoted in a newspaper because of an editor wanting to spin a story a certain way.

I have met a good deal of the people you are receiving advice from on how to proceed. They are not cowards who balk at conflict, but season veterns who understand the system within the state and are very effective at organizing, staging, and executing things to achieve optimal impact. That is the goal, to fire for effect and hit the target. An example of this is the recent election of three very pro gun republicans to the Governor, Lt. Gov, and Attorney General.

There are many here who believe it or not are trying to help you, and do you a favor by saving you time, money and frustration. You've asked for feedback, you are getting it. The real question you should be asking yourself, is what is the point of holding the demonstration at Gravelly Point? What do you hope to accomplish as the over all result of your demonstration? What do you WANT and how do you know when you have achieved that?

Holding a Restore the Constitution rally is all fine and dandy. The thing you are missing is that you are going to use your weapons to garner attention to you and whomever else decides to buy into the idea. What will be reported in the news is a group of extremists and fringe believers have guns in a park and are behaving like an extremist militia group. For that reason people on this site are pushing back. You will be sending the wrong message that we have been working so hard to dispell.

I have no doubt you will get attention, but based on my experience with the battle plan you have it will not be the kind that you want or desire, and will not be positive for gun owners in our state.

This area is a mixed bag. As other have pointed out, we've been directly impacted by 9/11. We've had the anthrax attacks. We've had the DC sniper. We've had the deadliest attack on a police station in the history of the state. We've had Virginia Tech. All in the last nine years. There are ALOT, a HELL OF ALOT of people who will not react the way you think they will. You need to understand why. You need to understand that you ought to reconsider your goals.

A mass of people will get the media's attention. Especially if a flash mob shows up on the capital steps of 5 million people. Though you won't get anywhere near 100,000 for what you are planning. If you want to be gun oriented your best bet is to join forces with other rallys and demonstrations for next year.

+1

Nobody could have said it better. I told you guys Bohdi was literate.:lol:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
bohdi wrote:

I have met a good deal of the people you are receiving advice from on how to proceed. They are not cowards who balk at conflict, but season veterns who understand the system within the state and are very effective at organizing, staging, and executing things to achieve optimal impact. That is the goal, to fire for effect and hit the target. An example of this is the recent election of three very pro gun republicans to the Governor, Lt. Gov, andAttorney General.

+1

Nobody could have said it better. I told you guys Bohdi was literate.:lol:
Not exactly how I would have put it:uhoh:
But since we have the same goal (I just don't plan on taking the flooded road), I'll add a second to it.
+2
PS, I almost called you today, but since you wouldn't have liked what I had to say, and, since I was enjoying shooting big bullets at the range, then sitting in a tree stand...and especially since I'm busy on Sunday and won't have a chance to go to church... I didn't

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey

So I've put out the idea of an OC event, on an OC forum, and I get asked "not to do (it) in their neighborhood."Who exactly are the "someone's" asking me not to do this? This is just an internet forum about open carry. I'd like to know who exactly is asking me not to do what in "their neighborhood," before looking at any mannerly decisions that may or may not need to be made.

To be clear, I am trying to put together a "Restore the Constitution"rally at a carry-legal location as close to DC as possible.

Whoever from the Virginia "gun rights" or "open carry" community is asking me not to do what I've outlined in bold above, I ask that you identify yourselves by name and position, if applicable, so thatI may weigh such "mannerly" considerations. I'm identifying myself here as Daniel Almond, danieljalmond2004@gmail.com, 404-788-9735.

I'mconsidering Gravelly Point. I've sent in permit application paperwork for 19 April 2010. Maybe Gravelly will work, maybe it won't.Maybe I'll bother with posting a more "PC" post on here for the event, maybe I won't.

The people here on this board are some of the most active supporters of 2a rights in VA. They know more about the political environment here than you will ever know. You have beenasked to not do as you planas what you are planning will be perceived as a bunch of extremists threatening the government and will harm our cause.

You say you have applied for a permit. Did you put in the request you plan on having a bunch of people walking around with rifles on their back? I hope so and that your permit is denied.

Please reconsider what you are trying to do.

altajava

imported post

IMO your enthusiasm is appreciated. Don't be discouraged by the feedback but I thinkthe opinions stated by the regulars on the forum should be taken very seriously. They have a great deal more experience in these mattersaround here. It is a very different world when you getinside the beltway.

One of the thoughts I have had about protesting congress, pick a day when they are ending session and trying to get out of town. Do it that morning. It only takes two or three car accidents at key intersections to shut down the city and then they are stuck. There aren't very many congress critters that will get on the metro with the unwashed masses.

It is no secret that VCDL goes toRichmond for lobby day every year armed, they carry side arms(defensive weapon). You are proposing carrying rifles(offensive weapon)as well. That is a major difference in the minds of most of America and the fringe media will have a field day with you.

As far as the location is concerned, I don't think it will have much impact on congress other than giving them a good giggle because you are stuck on the other side of the moat with your weapons.Gravley Point is not a good location if you want to have people speak. The airplane traffic has been mentioned butI can tell you it is worse than implied. I have bounced water balloons off of the windscreens of 727s(4th of July all three times) and watched bottle rockets bounce out of the wheel wells(4th and alcohol all three times). You could damn near take a plane down with a rock they are so close. Those examples would would make me think if the FAA, HS, NHTSA, FBI(who did I miss) catches wind of your plans, someone will shut it down. If it is being talked about here, they have wind of it.

I'm not sure who has jurisdiction there, I have seen metro police(I can tell from personal experience, they have a big hard on about the mean high tide line), mwaa police, park police, Arlington police and the Coast Guardworking the boat ramp area on any given day.

On top of all that we have the Second Amendment March on the same day four blocks and a moat away. It has been in planing for almost a year. If you want a big turnout you have to plan well in advance to secure the proper permits and to allow people time to plan travel and lodging.

bohdi

imported post

peter nap wrote:
But since we have the same goal (I just don't plan on taking the flooded road), I'll add a second to it.
+2
PS, I almost called you today, but since you wouldn't have liked what I had to say, and, since I was enjoying shooting big bullets at the range, then sitting in a tree stand...and especially since I'm busy on Sunday and won't have a chance to go to church... I didn't

Based on the series of statements Barely has written and in the order it just seems like the plan isn't well thought out. I was grumpy and bored so the thread interested me. I just think that joining forces with another group that is 3/4 of the way to their demonstration day is a more efficient way to try and get your message out.

I personally don't think that the majority of gun owners "use their guns to call attention" to themselves or their cause. I know that sounds like a perverse statement because in essence that is what open carry is about. The difference is that opencarry is specifically about the 2A with a bit of others mixed in.

What Barely is wanting to do is demonstrate for the whole Constitution, while excercising some rights provided by it. In concept I don't have a problem with it. I really don't. I am concerned that in the execution phase of this plan that the message will get lost and the focus will solely be on the "gun nuts in the park". This is why I have responded the way I have.

Since I am open to peer review and learning from others, how would you have responded Peter? :)

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

altajava wrote:
... SNIP
I'm not sure who has jurisdiction there, I have seen metro police(I can tell from personal experience, they have a big hard on about the mean high tide line), mwaa police, park police, Arlington police and the Coast Guard working the boat ramp area on any given day. 
SNIP...

This is one of the big issues with what is proposed that has been overlooked. Because the location is right on the dividing line between Virginia and DC EVERYBODY has jurisdiction. Technically because DC is a federal enclave, even the military have jurisdiction. Virginia State police, National Park police, local park police, county police, the list goes on and on. There are a lot of reasons that that location has not historically been used for protests and this is one of them.

The fact is you may be allowed to have your demonstration. But it will be small, and if you openly carry weapons it will not be about restoration of constitutional governance, it will be about separatist militia gun nuts protesting reasonable gun laws.

The major media in THIS town will most certainly contrast your demonstration with the Million Man March (no guns), The Million Mom March (no guns), all other demonstration of note (no guns). The Washington Post will report on a bunch of white guys, from Georgia arriving in cars loaded with guns and staging a march on the anniversary of Waco, and the Oklahoma City Bombing. Bloomy in New York will pound the lectern in his next press conference yelling that this is just another example of lax gun laws in Virginia.

What you fail to see is that no matter what your intentions actually are, your message will be shut down by the Washington media and they will use you, your color, your guns, and your demonstration to press THEIR anti gun/anti rights agenda. This is not Georgia, and you cannot play be Georgia rules. Someplace long about Fredericksburg Virginia, 95 North enters a rabbit hole into Alice's wonderland, and things stop working as they do in the normal world.

Regards

Tomahawk

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Someplace long about Fredericksburg Virginia, 95 North enters a rabbit hole into Alice's wonderland, and things stop working as they do in the normal world.

Greetings from the Rabbit Hole! (I think we have a new code name for NoVA.)

For me OC is about convenience and practicality. The fact that it also displays my intention to exercise a right is a bonus, and because its practicle it also links that right to the real world. If I'm standing in line at McDonald's or filling up with gas and someone sees me OC, they know I'm not staging some sortof protest. I'm getting something to eat or fueling my truck. And I don'nt intend to be a crime victim. And I know what my rights are, what the law is, and I'm not a nut, just a guy who takes his rights and his personal safety seriously. Many people can identify with that. Protect yourself and you family and don't be shy about it.

But if I'm carrying a rifle in public then it's pretty obvious I'm just trying to get attention. It's not a practicle weapon for self defense during daily business. It's for hunting, or warfare, or target shooting, or for home defense when your pistol and shotgun are out of reach. When someone sees you carrying a rifle and a protest sign, they may watch from a distance, but most of them will be waiting to see what the cops will do to you, andthen laugh aboutit on youtube. People will not identify with you, and the news media will not help them to do so. As has been stated, you will be placed right up there with Tim McVeigh, stormfront asses, and other ne'er-do-wells.

(BTW, you can't really CC a rifle, so rifle carry is not really OC in the conventional sense)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

bohdi wrote:
peter nap wrote:
+2

Based on the series of statements Barely has written and in the order it just seems like the plan isn't well thought out. I was grumpy and bored so the thread interested me. I just think that joining forces with another group that is 3/4 of the way to their demonstration day is a more efficient way to try and get your message out.

I personally don't think that the majority of gun owners "use their guns to call attention" to themselves or their cause. I know that sounds like a perverse statement because in essence that is what open carry is about. The difference is that opencarry is specifically about the 2A with a bit of others mixed in.

What Barely is wanting to do is demonstrate for the whole Constitution, while excercising some rights provided by it. In concept I don't have a problem with it. I really don't. I am concerned that in the execution phase of this plan that the message will get lost and the focus will solely be on the "gun nuts in the park". This is why I have responded the way I have.

Since I am open to peer review and learning from others, how would you have responded Peter? :)
My response wouldn't have as diplomatic.
What he is thinking about is admirable. It seems like we are in a constant state of protest.
There are intelligent and effective protests, and then there are ineffective and ill conceived protests. I've been in both.

How he protests is really his business except he wants to do it in my back yard and won't take "I don't like it" as an answer. He wants to be pushy about it.
Further, he knows more than anyone else. Virginia doesn't know what they're doing, Montana doesn't know what they're doing ...in fact, the only one that has a clue is him and his cronies. That coming from someone that wouldn't be allowed to conduct that type of protest in his own state.

Then he demand everyone give him their name rank and serial number, and posts his information as incentive. I don't give a damn who he is. His protest is the issue. The Neo Nazie's and the Ku Kluz Klan have been parading around in uniform, trying to put the fear of God and ignorance in the government for many years.
The only thing they've accomplished is a basket full of new laws.

He reminds me of the people who move to the country to get away from the burbs, then start demanding a Walmart.

What he's proposing is in essence, showing Congress how tough they are. Ineffective and counterproductive and politically dangerous.

So the tally is:

+1 for being an activist
+1 for trying to bring the Government in line
+1 for his effort
-3 for not thinking about the efforts of his brethren
-1 for being a PITA in someone else s woods.

BARELY ILLEGAL

imported post

BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey

So I've put out the idea of an OC event, on an OC forum, and I get asked "not to do (it) in their neighborhood."Who exactly are the "someone's" asking me not to do this? This is just an internet forum about open carry. I'd like to know who exactly is asking me not to do what in "their neighborhood," before looking at any mannerly decisions that may or may not need to be made.

So far, no emails, no phone calls, and no posters identifying themselves by name in response to this. I've got my phone on me today, but I'll be in meetings today from about 4:15 to about 7:30 PM. I am curious to know if anyone in the VA gun rights community will voice any opposition, publicly and by name,to what I am putting together.

Anyone?........Anyone?

Speak now, or forever hold your peace.