• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Plaxico Burress Shoots him self...

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Flintlock wrote:
Well, obviously the draconian gun laws of NYC have had little to no effect on stoppingcrime. Even millionaire, superstar football players carry guns but the problem is thateveryone knows that it is a felony to do so in NYC and his Florida permit would be laughed at there.

I believe in his right to do so, but that's not the point here... Why do these football players always need to hang out at nightclubs? Nothing good happens in the middle of the night at a club.

Don't put yourself in those types of situations and always be aware of your surroundings. An lastly, learn how to handle your weapon without shooting yourself for goodness sakes.
No one said they are brain surgeons. Remember Dexter Manley of the Redskins? He was functionally illiterate. He could not even balance a checkbook, fill out an employment application, or do the 1040A form. Now think of it. Oklahoma State actually sent him through four years of college (doesn't say much for that school, does it?) and he comes out like that.

yankees98a

imported post

Now, let's not start screaming about the Second Amendment. To begin with, the amendment should be abolished -- a sensible interpretation of the amendment is that it was written to allow the people to raise a militia for protection and to hunt for food. Clearly no one needs to raise a militia these days, and those who hunt for a living can be licensed to do so.
It would be nice if President-elect Obama had the time to focus his energies on repeal of the Second Amendment, but he first has to deal with a broken economy and the incredibly wrong-headed war started by his predecessor. What's more, the issue of gun rights causes almost as much screaming from the right as abortion rights, the irony being that those yelling the loudest about the right to life are usually those yelling almost as loud about their right to carry weapons that kill.

yankees98a

imported post

"Now, let's not start screaming about the Second Amendment. To begin with, the amendment should be abolished -- a sensible interpretation of the amendment is that it was written to allow the people to raise a militia for protection and to hunt for food. Clearly no one needs to raise a militia these days, and those who hunt for a living can be licensed to do so.
It would be nice if President-elect Obama had the time to focus his energies on repeal of the Second Amendment, but he first has to deal with a broken economy and the incredibly wrong-headed war started by his predecessor. What's more, the issue of gun rights causes almost as much screaming from the right as abortion rights, the irony being that those yelling the loudest about the right to life are usually those yelling almost as loud about their right to carry weapons that kill. "

Call WaPo and tell them to fire this guy
Main Phone: 703.469.2500

yankees98a

imported post

"Now, let's not start screaming about the Second Amendment. To begin with, the amendment should be abolished -- a sensible interpretation of the amendment is that it was written to allow the people to raise a militia for protection and to hunt for food. Clearly no one needs to raise a militia these days, and those who hunt for a living can be licensed to do so.
It would be nice if President-elect Obama had the time to focus his energies on repeal of the Second Amendment, but he first has to deal with a broken economy and the incredibly wrong-headed war started by his predecessor. What's more, the issue of gun rights causes almost as much screaming from the right as abortion rights, the irony being that those yelling the loudest about the right to life are usually those yelling almost as loud about their right to carry weapons that kill. "

Call WaPo and tell them to fire John Feinstein
Main Phone: 703.469.2500

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/01/AR2008120101335_Comments.html

Flintlock

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
No one said they are brain surgeons. Remember Dexter Manley of the Redskins? He was functionally illiterate. He could not even balance a checkbook, fill out an employment application, or do the 1040A form. Now think of it. Oklahoma State actually sent him through four years of college (doesn't say much for that school, does it?) and he comes out like that.

It's ironic that you mention Dexter Manley as he came up in conversation yesterday with a co-worker. I was always fascinated how someone could graduate from college without being able to read and write. How sad for a university to roll someone through that can play football well.

Burress just made the mistake of his life. Now he will likely get some jail time, be a convicted felon, and not be able to possess firearms again. He alsopossibly ended his football career. What a bafoon...

mrbiggles

Banned
imported post

boycott the giants? does anyone even like the giants lol...

"I do know that a lot of NFL players do carry guns," said John Mara, the president and co-owner of the Giants. Mara added, "It's not something that we're particularly pleased about, but that is the choice that they make."
does anyone even care about the NBA? i've stopped watching basketball a long time ago.

Following Jackson's arrest, NBA commissioner David Stern said he would like players to leave their guns at home when they go out in public. "I don't think it's necessary to walk the streets packing a gun," Stern said during his preseason teleconference. "I think it's dangerous for our players.

Flyer22

imported post

For as many people as there are on this board who are conversant with legal philosophy, I find it surprising that nobody had yet pointed out the obvious--the Constitution and its guarantees apply only to government, NOT to private entities. Non-governmental entities have much more latitude in restricting and prohibiting certain types of behaviour than the government does.

Overtaxed

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Gordie wrote:
He also violated several rules of common sense dealing with the handling of firearms. This is evident in the fact that he shot himself. If you want to make a test case you need to find a better example. This is embarrassing to responsible gun owners everywhere. We don't want to hold him up as an example of who we all are. The anti's already try to portray gun owners as ignorant dolts, don't let us help them in this by making Plaxico our poster boy.
+1
Speaking of Poster Boy...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29654367@N08/3075431399/

Shogun

imported post

I can clear this whole thing up...Plaxico Burress (I think that that is a great name by the way - best in the NFL) new that bare arms are not allowed in NYC, so he was careful to wear long sleeves. It wasn't until he got home from the hospital that he found out that he was not allowed to carry a gun in NYC.

Plaxico...Plaxico...Plaxico.....

Pamiam

imported post

OK, so let me get this straight:

A famous pro ball player was in a nightclub armed, and accidently shot himself in a lower extremity.

And he had to turn himself into the police for accidentally shooting himself.

Am I reading that correctly?

Assuming that is correct: Rich, famous people definitely should be armed. Moreover, if one of them is stupid enough to shoot themself justice has already been served.

"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools."
~~Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

Flintlock wrote:
Well, obviously the draconian gun laws of NYC have had little to no effect on stoppingcrime. Even millionaire, superstar football players carry guns but the problem is thateveryone knows that it is a felony to do so in NYC and his Florida permit would be laughed at there.

I believe in his right to do so, but that's not the point here... Why do these football players always need to hang out at nightclubs? Nothing good happens in the middle of the night at a club.

Don't put yourself in those types of situations and always be aware of your surroundings. An lastly, learn how to handle your weapon without shooting yourself for goodness sakes.
Flintlock, I can tell you whyPlaxico hangs out at night clubs........It's to pick up women, it's to show off (to women) what he has and what they (the women) could have if they were with him, it's to impress everyone thathe can dance, it's to flaunthis riches (to women), it's to relax and have a good time, it's to listen to music and watch pretty women dance, it's to.........There are many reasons whyPlaxico goes to night clubs. This night club, in particular, is in Manhattan, NY. It is a very nice club (from what I understand). I am sure that the people that were there were not expecting what happened to happen. I was not expecting gun shots to ring out when I went to a club in downtown Charlotte, NC in 1982, but, it happened and I am glad I was not killed.

My point is that Plaxico may have had many reasons why he went to that night club. The problem is that he used very bad judgment carrying a gun (without a holster) to that club, allegedly drinking alcohol, putting his finger on the trigger and shooting himself (I am sure he is glad that he only shot himself and not someone else), and involving Pierce in this mess. It is my understanding that the club manager and club owner were involved since security procedures were not properly followed (obviously), and, the hospital did not follow protocol by not reporting a gunshot victim to the police.

My wife asked me a question when I first started OCing and CCing in 2006: "Why haven't you been carrying a weapon with you before now?" Mind you, she grew up in Washington, DC where they banned handguns in 1976. I told her that I did not know what the laws were; it took me four years to figure it out. Now, she trust my judgement because I (believe that I) am a responsible gun owner.

I say all of this because (I feel that) Plaxico should have taken the time to get with his high priced lawyer to find out what he could (legally) do if he was going to carry a gun on his person; he chose not to. As far as I am concerned, if he is found guilty, he should be treated likeeveryone else that has been found guilty of the same crimes that he is accused of because he should have taken the time (like I did) to find out what the gun laws were (in NY and everywhere else that he chose to carry)!! And, if he did know, but,chose to ignore the gun laws, then he is an ignorant a*s!!

2nd Amendment.........Use it..........Or, lose it!!:X

Overtaxed

imported post

Flintlock wrote:

Naturally, Bloomberg, and his predecessor(s) would credit a good part of NYC's crime reduction to gun control, if asked. Of course, it had far more to do with better management of police resources. Bad guys can still easily get the weapons they want there.
When I "googled" Plaxico a few days ago, I came across an interesting comment on a sports news bulletin board. One of the posters commented on how he was stopped by police for a minor traffic infraction, and was carrying a concealed weapon. He had a PA CCW, but the cop still gave him the third degree. He barely squeaked out of a felony arrest.
Although it could arguably tread a bit on state's rights to set their own laws, I think we need universal reciprocity NOW.
NYC doesn't even accept permits from the rest of New York State!

Gordie

imported post

jddssc121 wrote:
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/28004631/

MSNBC posted a silly article as well about why guns are a bad idea

Mike Celizic makes the claim "I have considerable experience with guns and their care and handling", I seriously doubt it.

Why do I question his knowledge of firearms? I question his expertise because ofthe statements and advice given by him.

Celizic "Better yet, ditch the automatic and get a revolver. Then you can keep the hammer on an empty cylinder, so if you pull the trigger by accident, the family jewels remain intact."

On all of my revolvers, if you keep the hammer on an empty chamber it only reduces your firepower by one round. Pulling the trigger will not result in a quiet click, but a loud bang as the cylinder rotates a round under the hammer. This is hardly safer than keeping a full cylinder in this instance.

He then says "Finally, if you don’t want to do any of the above, at least make sure the safety’s on. When the safety’s on, a gun can’t fire. It’s that simple.."

This comes in real handy on guns that have a safety. Even if a safety is present, do you really want to trust it to keep you completely safe? Any mechanical device can fail.

Celizic "No matter how often guns get innocent people either dead or in more trouble than anyone ever wants to be in,"

Here he gives an inanimate object a great deal of power, guns don't "do" anything on their own. They can not be good or evil, they don't possess the capability.

Celizic "people can always point to an incident where they can convince themselves having a gun would save a victim’s life."

It happens every day, I would be willing to bet that there are people on this forum who can tell stories of this happening.

Celizic "In the NFL, players point to Sean Taylor, the Washington Redskin who was shot and killed by intruders in his Florida home last year. I heard a player talking about it on ESPN today: If Sean Taylor had a gun, he’d be alive today. But that’s an argument that can’t be proved."

Maybe, maybe not, but he would have had a better chance.

Celizic "If Taylor had a gun, there’s no guarantee things would have gone any differently. He still accosts the burglars and he still probably gets shot. Maybe he gets one of his assailants, maybe not."

But he would have at least had a chance to meet them with equal force.

Celizic "But he’s still dead."

Again, maybe, maybe not.

Celizic "This doesn't make much sense because guns aren’t about sense. They’re about fear and twisted concepts of manhood and being a real bad expletive."

Ah, the real truth comes out. This person with "extensive" gun experience is afraid of guns and doesn't like them. He feels intimidated by people with guns and feels less about himself.

Celizic "We’ve read of dozens of athletes who have gotten into trouble because of guns."

No, they got into trouble because they made bad decisions.

Celizic "What should stand out to athletes is that you never read about a jock whose life or property are saved because he had a gun. I’m sure it’s happened, but I can’t find a reference or remember an incident."

This is because it doesn't make the news unless there is blood. If no one gets shot, it won't make the headlines.

Celizic "One dumb belief is that a gun makes you tough."

He got this right, a gun doesn't make you tough. Toughness comes from who you are, not what you have in your hand. What a gun does give you is the ability to defend yourself against a bigger, stronger foe.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Burress is an idiot. Celizic is an idiot. There is a reason many people call it the "National Felon League". There is also a reason that NBC is pretty consistently the lowest of the big 3 networks. They deserve each other.

TN_TITANS

imported post

Plaxico Burress carries a firearm into a night club in NY and then shoots himself in the thigh. Burress had an HCP from TN, expired in May of 08' though. What is going on with these thugs in the NFL?

yankees98a

imported post

Giants wideout Steve Smith was the victim of an armed holdup in his own driveway on November 25. Captain Robert Rowan of the Clifton Police Department confirmed the details of the incident to PA SportsTicker on Tuesday. According to the police, Smith was approached from behind at approximately 4 a.m. last Tuesday by an unknown assailant who pointed a gun at Smith’s head and said, “Give me all you got.” Smith turned over cash and jewelry to the gunman, the amount of which has not been determined, Rowan said. No arrests have been made in the robbery, which happened inside a gated community where Smith resides. The matter is still under investigation. “It’s fairly obvious he was targeted,” Rowan said. It has been widely speculated the Smith’s holdup was the reason Burress felt compelled to carry a loaded gun into a midtown Manhattan nightclub Friday night.

Jizzzle

imported post

hmm, you would think that plaxico burress would have access to clubs that other people don't especially in NYC. And in those clubs you wouldn't have to worry about getting robbed in the club or near it it general. but, then again i could be wrong. either way someone needs to buy that poor man a fobus for christs sake.