• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pulled over, officer had his piece at the low ready...

leprechaun117

imported post

Ibelieve you agree to follow the laws of the state that you're in.I know people in NC with lifted/modified trucks (where laws are very very lax) who refuse to drive over the state line because the police will pull them over immediately.I would think it falls under the "implied consent" laws (agreeing to a breathalyser as soon as you drive a car and so on.)

UTOC-45-44

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I would not have disarmed you.

You have a permit... you told me you were armed... I have no problem with that.

You would have to have done something real bad or I knew was going to take you into custody before I take away your gun.

I might ask you to keep it on the dash so I can see it from a distance when I approach.

And I could care less about your bumper height!! ;)

You wouldn't run his SN...???:what::celebrate:monkey

Sucks to be Citizen:p:p:p

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

leprechaun117 wrote:
Ibelieve you agree to follow the laws of the state that you're in.I know people in NC with lifted/modified trucks (where laws are very very lax) who refuse to drive over the state line because the police will pull them over immediately.I would think it falls under the "implied consent" laws (agreeing to a breathalyser as soon as you drive a car and so on.)
You are correct, just like firearms laws, you must obey the laws of the place you are or you may suffer the consequenses, just like I did.:?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Reverend73 wrote:
leprechaun117 wrote:
You are correct, just like firearms laws, you must obey the laws of the place you are or you may suffer the consequenses, just like I did.:?
So, that almost sounds like you didn't beat the ticket, R73. :(

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HankT wrote:
Reverend73 wrote:
leprechaun117 wrote:
Oh, I went to court and proved to the judge I lowered the truck a little bit and he waived the fine, though I still had to pay court costs ($60)

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Reverend73 wrote:
HankT wrote:
Reverend73 wrote:

Oh, I went to court and proved to the judge I lowered the truck a little bit and he waived the fine, though I still had to pay court costs ($60)

Oh, well. 60 bucks plus compliance costs ain't too bad.

But I really think you could consider following up on the complaint. You were all hot about four months ago and believed it wassuch a travesty and all. What happened?

Frankly, the actual disarming part of the event was scary. And I wasjust reading it after the fact.

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Yes, I was a little concerned about the officer having his gun drawn, I've been pulled over exactly 3 times prior to this(over a period of about 10yrs), while armed and never had an officer draw his duty pistol on me. To be honest, I can't even remember the officers name and quite frankly, I'm over it, I know I should follow up, but I have other battles to fight right now. I havent even drove the truck since the incident, but will in a few weeks when we go wheeling up in Crozet. Hopefully the popo will leave me alone on the drive up :lol:

LEO 229

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
You wouldn't run his SN...???:what::celebrate:monkey

Sucks to be Citizen:p:p:p
Ya... I would run Citizens guns through NCIC... never know what your going to get there... ;)

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

Reverend73 wrote:
Pretty sure it is, your registration should say if it is or not, I think.

§ 46.2-1063. Alteration of suspension system; bumper height limits; raising body above frame rail.
No person shall drive on a public highway any motor vehicle registered as a passenger motor vehicle if it has been modified by alteration of its altitude from the ground to the extent that its bumpers, measured to any point on the lower edge of the main horizontal bumper bar, exclusive of any bumper guards, are not within the range of fourteen inches to twenty-two inches above the ground. Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this section, the range of bumper heights for motor vehicles bearing street rod license plates issued pursuant to § 46.2-747 shall be nine to twenty-two inches.
No vehicle shall be modified to cause the vehicle body or chassis to come in contact with the ground, expose the fuel tank to damage from collision, or cause the wheels to come in contact with the body under normal operation. No part of the original suspension system of a motor vehicle shall be disconnected to defeat the safe operation of its suspension system. However, nothing contained in this section shall prevent the installation of heavy duty equipment, including shock absorbers and overload springs. Nothing contained in this section shall prohibit the driving on a public highway of a motor vehicle with normal wear to the suspension system if such normal wear does not adversely affect the control of the vehicle.
No person shall drive on a public highway any motor vehicle registered as a truck if it has been modified by alteration of its altitude from the ground to the extent that its bumpers, measured to any point on the lower edge of the main horizontal bumper bar, exclusive of any bumper guards, do not fall within the limits specified herein for its gross vehicle weight rating category. The front bumper height of trucks whose gross vehicle weight ratings are 4,500 pounds or less shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 28 inches, and their rear bumper height shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 28 inches. The front bumper height of trucks whose gross vehicle weight ratings are 4,501 pounds to 7,500 pounds shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 29 inches, and their rear bumper height shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 30 inches. The front bumper height of trucks whose gross vehicle weight ratings are 7,501 pounds to 15,000 pounds shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 30 inches, and their rear bumper height shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 31 inches. Bumper height limitations contained in this section shall not apply to trucks with gross vehicle weight ratings in excess of 15,000 pounds. For the purpose of this section, "truck" includes pickup and panel trucks, and "gross vehicle weight ratings" means manufacturer's gross vehicle weight ratings established for that vehicle as indicated by a number, plate, sticker, decal, or other device affixed to the vehicle by its manufacturer.
In the absence of bumpers, and in cases where bumper heights have been lowered, height measurements under the foregoing provisions of this section shall be made to the bottom of the frame rail. However, if bumper heights have been raised, height measurements under the foregoing provisions of this section shall be made to the bottom of the main horizontal bumper bar.
No vehicle shall be operated on a public highway if it has been modified by any means so as to raise its body more than three inches, in addition to any manufacturer's spacers and bushings, above the vehicle's frame rail or manufacturer's attachment points on the frame rail.
This section shall not apply to specially designed or modified motor vehicles when driven off the public highways in races and similar events. Such motor vehicles may be lawfully towed on the highways of the Commonwealth.
(1973, c. 498, § 46.1-282.1; 1978, c. 605; 1980, c. 342; 1986, c. 570; 1989, c. 727; 1991, c. 688; 1992, c. 864; 1993, c. 73.)

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Kodiak, I'm familiar with that statute. What does your jeep registration certificate say (ie go get it out of the jeep and read it, should say car or light truck somewhere on it.)

AbNo

imported post

*sigh* Horse beating continues.....

I'm going to step up for Rev here....

HankT wrote:
You, conveniently, skip over the fact that there must be a process for the officer to satisfy himself that the assertion of naval officer-ness from a person he has never seen or known before is true.

He may have even skipped over the fact that he might have given the LEO his Mil ID with his driver's license, especially if he has an expired state DL... a nice little loop hole in the law for active duty military.

I'm also going to presume he has a blue-striped DoD sticker on his truck.

HankT wrote:
In ordinary situations this assertion/verification/acceptance process takes a few seconds *personal insults removed*, it took a few minutes.

HankT wrote:
And, the officer, right or wrong, stupid or not, elected to behave in a provocative (to you) manner until he was satisfied you were what you claimed to be: a legal concealed weapon carrying law abiding citizen.
[/quote]

So... the LEO was ignorant of the law, upholding of which is his PRIMARY responsibility, correct?

(Warning: Hyperbole ahead) What if the LEO didn't know that say, car theft was a crime? I file that and the incident which has occured under professional negligence.

Needlessly pointing a gun at someone? Reckless endangerment.

For that matter, would you expect him to point a gun at someone for jaywalking? That's a misdemeanor, too, and someone could be injured/killed performing it.

Finally, I'd say pointing a loaded gun at someone is pretty damned provactive.

HankT wrote:
Uh, I mean a legal concealed weapon carrying law abiding naval officer.

Are you always this much of a jerk? If it wasn't your Cheerios, whas it your Wheaties?

HankT wrote:
[*]Oddball vehicle

Off-road modified trucks/Jeeps are VERY common in Virginia. Again with the insults, as well. I have a Cherokee on a nice amount of lift and big tires, does that make it oddball?

HankT wrote:
[*]Out of state tags/registration--in state insurance
[*]Driver is out of state resident

Out of state drivers and tags are VERY common in a place with about 6 Naval bases and an Air Force base (Langley) in such a small area.

HankT wrote:
[*]Driver has a gun (at least one)

Which sounds to me that you think a LEO should point a gun at anyone that is carrying.

HankT wrote:
[*]Driver shows off that he has a gun, with cryptic comment of "be advised."

Actually, "Be advised" is fairly common among milpers, at least when I was at Lackland AFB, Ft Gordon, and Robins AFB, as well as PSAB. I'm REASONABLY sure that it's LEO lingo, as well.

Granted, it's not the BEST way to say "I have a gun!" (which probably isn't a good idea, either :lol: ) But you know, some of us expect a certain amount of intelligence/insight/wisdom out of people we speak to (and seemingly never get it...)

HankT wrote:
[*]Driver says heis a naval officer but acts like a yokel

Wow, and insult and indications you've never been to Virginia. Good job.

HankT wrote:
The officer decided to be ultra-tactical about it, no question

He pointed his service weapon at someone for a misdemeanor, one that he wasn't even sure of!

HankT wrote:
And other officers may very well have handled it less stridently.
[/quote]

So of course, this makes pointing a loaded weapon at someone for a vehicle regulation infraction all right, because it COULD HAVE been worse.

HankT wrote:
Wasn't but a four months ago that some goof got stopped for routine speeding in your state and produced a state ID.*snip* Your case isn't structurallydifferent from the Angilo Freeland stop, really. Except that in your case, the officer KNEW you had a gun.

Anecdotal at best. If he was a BG, why would he announce he was armed? Because let's face it, BG's don't set out to tangle with LEO's because A> They are known to be armed, and B> LEO + radio = LEO times Many.

And, we all know how many crimes are committed in off-road modified vehicles. :lol:

HankT wrote:
Your beef is that the officer mistreated you in some way. Should the officer have known that a FL permit was good in VA? Yeah, I think so.

You should've started and stopped here.

HankT wrote:
But you're handling even that with a crude, almost bizarre manner.

More insults. You've been reading the lib playbook, haven't you?

HankT wrote:
You, for some reason, want to file the complaint "while open carrying." Why, I don't know. The right to open carry is an extremely important issue in VA and other states.

"I don't know." Then you follow THAT sentence with the answer. LEO's and civies need to be educated. And besides, he said he would do it AFTER he made sure he could OC in a PD building. This is pointless anyway, because he decided it wasn't worth his time.

HankT wrote:
You simply want to show "them"upinstubborn and cloddish manner,just because you can.

Shouldn't that be "up in a stubborn"? At least include all the proper parts of speech in a personal attack.

HankT wrote:
And, oh yeah, in court, you are hoping to " see the officer there and can have a discussion with him over why he chose to disarm me at gunpoint."

Because, you know, trying to hear it from his side is stubborn, cloddish, and ignorant.

The rest of this post is moot, as well, and thus ignored.

In the future, don't be this...

wqmountaintrollld6.jpg

riegnman

imported post

KodiakISGOOD wrote:
a question for anyone,

is an SUV/jeep wrangler classified as a truck with regards to vehicle type on Va Motor Vehicle Registration?

happy carrying,

jason

not necessarily. I had a 1995 Mitsubishi Montero. 4WD 5000lb curb weight and the title said that it was a 4-dr sedan. I think that it has to do with the frame that it is sitting on. And that wasn't a bad thing because my insurance was based on a 4-dr sedan, (family car), rather than an SUV, (insurance is alot higher), even though it was 4wd.

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

riegnman wrote:
KodiakISGOOD wrote:
a question for anyone,

is an SUV/jeep wrangler classified as a truck with regards to vehicle type on Va Motor Vehicle Registration?

happy carrying,

jason

not necessarily. I had a 1995 Mitsubishi Montero. 4WD 5000lb curb weight and the title said that it was a 4-dr sedan. I think that it has to do with the frame that it is sitting on. And that wasn't a bad thing because my insurance was based on a 4-dr sedan, (family car), rather than an SUV, (insurance is alot higher), even though it was 4wd.
good to know, i was wondering because my friend has a jeep cherokee that i know is well over the bumper height, and im just wondering why he has not received the same ticket that rev73 did.

happy carrying,

jason

riegnman

imported post

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand cherokee laredo and the registration puts it as an SUV if that helps. Oh, and the insurance is about $250.00/year more for the same coverage as the Mitsubishi.

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

riegnman wrote:
I have a 2000 Jeep Grand cherokee laredo and the registration puts it as an SUV if that helps. Oh, and the insurance is about $250.00/year more for the same coverage as the Mitsubishi.
well that explains it... it's not a truck, but an SUV

Shooter McGavin 01

imported post

HankT. Obviously you put a lot of time and effort into this thread and you obviously enjoy doing so, (great stuff by the way) but "please be advised" that if you are not going with the "flow" here, even if you are correct, you are wasting your time.