• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SCCC April 20-24th empty holster

nova

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
Wow! Some professors are canceling class here at JMU on Thursday because of the empty holster protest (and I think there's only like 15 students that are wearing empty holsters, or at least that's how many have come to the meetings).
seriously!? wow................

wow is an understatement:?

SoldierMedic

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Makes me wish I was back there.... why didn't we have this kind of thing when I was at JMU? Speaking of which, during my attendance, JMU seemed markedly more conservative than that Associate Professor is making it out to be currently. Anyone reading this thread care to bring us up to date on JMU's socio-political climate?

JMU Alum, 99-04, History.

GO DUKES!

Neplusultra

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
Wow! Some professors are canceling class here at JMU on Thursday because of the empty holster protest (and I think there's only like 15 students that are wearing empty holsters, or at least that's how many have come to the meetings).
Good golly. Can you document this at all? This would be really good propaganda! Please post here.....

hunter45

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
Good golly.  Can you document this at all?  This would be really good propaganda!  Please post here.....

My friend told me that his professor said she was canceling her class because of the empty holster protest. She also said that other professors are doing the same thing. She said she was definitely a supporter of the 2nd amendment, but if someone brought a gun on campus then she would feel very unsafe. :banghead:

CRF250rider1000

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
Good golly. Can you document this at all? This would be really good propaganda! Please post here.....

My friend told me that his professor said she was canceling her class because of the empty holster protest. She also said that other professors are doing the same thing. She said she was definitely a supporter of the 2nd amendment, but if someone brought a gun on campus then she would feel very unsafe. :banghead:
Why because they are law abiding? When she sees a police officer I'm sure she doesn't go "OMG a man with a gun on campus!" A LEO is a law abiding person just as most of the people who can legally CC. Her logic is very flawed IMO.

essayons

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
hunter45 wrote:

What part of empty holster do they not understand?

hunter45

imported post

Ok guys, it just got even worse...

A professor here at JMU just sent an e-mail out that said all of his students were forbidden from wearing an empty holster to class.

WOW.

essayons

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
Ok guys, it just got even worse...

A professor here at JMU just sent an e-mail out that said all of his students were forbidden from wearing an empty holster to class.

WOW.
I'd like to see that e-mail. Stories like that (professor afraid of empty holsters) can be spun into good publicity.

EDIT: From JMU's Student Handbook - Student's Rights and Responsibilities

The student as a citizen has the rights of freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom of peaceful assembly and association, freedom of political beliefs and freedom from personal force and violence, threats of violence and personal abuse.

That professor seems to be violating all of the rights in bold.

EDIT 2: Also

Students who hold opinions about basic policy matters of direct concern to them have the right to have them heard...

essayons

imported post

While I'm at it, carrying a (full) magazine at JMU seems like a no-no.

No student shall engage in any activity, which shall endanger the lives or safety of that student or of others. This includes, but is not limited to, the following activities:
  • J6-101 The use, possession or false reporting of fireworks, firecrackers, gunpowder or any dangerous chemicals or explosive materials.
If anyone is looking for a nice cash settlement from JMU, their weapons policy is full of holes.

http://www.jmu.edu/JMUpolicy/1105.shtml

Legal carry by a visitor to campus will get your weapon seized, ownership forfeited, by the JMU Office of Public Safety, and you will be barred from campus.

Off the top of my head, this violates the 2nd and 4th amendments to the US Constitution, multiple parts of the VA constitution, and the VA preemption law(s).

Where do the people who write this crap get off thinking that they can give that sort of power to themselves?

XD Owner

imported post

crazydude6030 wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
We are wearing our empty holsters next Thursday at JMU. I thought it was an all week thing, but I guess not. Unfortunately we've only had about 12 people at the meetings, but then again the SCCC group at JMU didn't even exist before last month.

Our campus leader notified the JMU police department of the empty holster protest. Look at this response he got:

Dear Mr. Dales:

[redacted]
You and other SCCC members certainly have a right to feel safe in your daily lives, but so does every other citizen.

Sincerely,

Kenneth Wright

Dr. Kenneth R. Wright
Associate Professor
Writing, Rhetoric, and Technical Communication
James Madison University
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
(540) 568-6162
The right to feel safe in your daily lives is which amendment? There is no such right. If there were, the paranoiacs would get a class action lawsuit against everyone and be awarded a lot of money. I might just call that guy and give him my two cents. Eh, not worth my time. You new that was coming, right? :lol:

AbNo

imported post

essayons wrote:
While I'm at it, carrying a (full) magazine at JMU seems like a no-no.

No student shall engage in any activity, which shall endanger the lives or safety of that student or of others. This includes, but is not limited to, the following activities:
If anyone is looking for a nice cash settlement from JMU, their weapons policy is full of holes.

http://www.jmu.edu/JMUpolicy/1105.shtml

Legal carry by a visitor to campus will get your weapon seized, ownership forfeited, by the JMU Office of Public Safety, and you will be barred from campus.

Off the top of my head, this violates the 2nd and 4th amendments to the US Constitution, multiple parts of the VA constitution, and the VA preemption law(s).

Where do the people who write this crap get off thinking that they can give that sort of power to themselves?
"No student"

Visitors aren't students. ;)

I mean, if someone really wants, I could try it sometime after my semester lets out, but I'm too busy right now, or I could even try in the Fall. :lol:

Jonesy

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
We are wearing our empty holsters next Thursday at JMU. I thought it was an all week thing, but I guess not. Unfortunately we've only had about 12 people at the meetings, but then again the SCCC group at JMU didn't even exist before last month.

Our campus leader notified the JMU police department of the empty holster protest. Look at this response he got:

Dear Mr. Dales:

As a faculty member I received your message, forwarded by Chief Schifflett, about the SCCC's plan to wear holsters next Thursday, the 23rd, though the Chief listed the 24th as the date. I have a couple of questions and comment.

First, is it the 23rd or 24th?

Second, I asked my students this morning if they new about the planned protest. They did not. Are you planning to make sure the JMU community is notified that some students are planning to wear holsters while on campus? I know you notified the Chief, but are you sure the message will get to the majority of the students? Can you imagine the level of fear if it doesn't? Wouldn't do your cause much good.

Third, even after I explained to my students that the holsters would be empty and, using SCCC's website, the reason for the protest, my students did not think the holster wearing was a good idea. It scares them, makes them feel less safe, as does the idea of students carrying concealed weapons on campus. So you may want to consider if a significant number of your peers support your cause. You and other SCCC members certainly have a right to feel safe in your daily lives, but so does every other citizen.

Sincerely,

Kenneth Wright

Dr. Kenneth R. Wright
Associate Professor
James Madison University
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
(540) 568-6162
He thinks people will be scared of a piece of leather or plastic? Hillarious. A right to feel safe? Is that in the constitution?

Jonesy

imported post

This is a state school, right? They cannot prohibit non-students from excercising our rights. Have there been any instances of non-students carrying on campus?

Neplusultra

imported post

Jonesy wrote:
This is a state school, right? They cannot prohibit non-students from excercising our rights. Have there been any instances of non-students carrying on campus?
I OC every time I go to VA Tech, but that is usually just to the library....

Neplusultra

imported post

Jonesy wrote:
hunter45 wrote:

Dear Mr. Dales:

As a faculty member I received your message, forwarded by Chief Schifflett, about the SCCC's plan to wear holsters next Thursday, the 23rd, though the Chief listed the 24th as the date. I have a couple of questions and comment.

First, is it the 23rd or 24th?

Second, I asked my students this morning if they new about the planned protest. They did not. Are you planning to make sure the JMU community is notified that some students are planning to wear holsters while on campus? I know you notified the Chief, but are you sure the message will get to the majority of the students? Can you imagine the level of fear if it doesn't? Wouldn't do your cause much good.

Third, even after I explained to my students that the holsters would be empty and, using SCCC's website, the reason for the protest, my students did not think the holster wearing was a good idea. It scares them, makes them feel less safe, as does the idea of students carrying concealed weapons on campus. So you may want to consider if a significant number of your peers support your cause. You and other SCCC members certainly have a right to feel safe in your daily lives, but so does every other citizen.

Sincerely,

Kenneth Wright

Dr. Kenneth R. Wright
Associate Professor
James Madison University
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
(540) 568-6162
He thinks people will be scared of a piece of leather or plastic? Hillarious. A right to feel safe? Is that in the constitution?

Jonesy, here's an observation I came across years ago. True rights, not imagined rights, CANNOT violated nor contradict themselves or each other. It's in the same vein as truth cannont contradict itself. So the mere fact that your "right" to feel safe by having a holster (or gun) contradicts the other's "right" to feel safe by not having you wear a holster means "feeling safe" is not a right.....

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Jonesy wrote:
I'm thinking a JMU meet sometime this fall:celebrate On the quad would be right in the center of things. We could hand out OC and CC flyers all while OCing and they can't tell us to leave;)

Neplusultra

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Jonesy wrote:
I'm thinking a JMU meet sometime this fall:celebrate On the quad would be right in the center of things. We could hand out OC and CC flyers all while OCing and they can't tell us to leave;)
I think you are probably right but I would first double check the VA code and Tech's own rules. There may be a provision where a student violating administrative rules on a campus other than his own could still be disciplined by his own school.... Just a guess but might be true....

Otherwise, I'd be in as long as you don't mind an old fat guy going with :^).

Jonesy

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Jonesy wrote:
Hahahaha, they are scared of empty holsters, how will they react if we show up armed and legally oc'ing? Dr. Wright said they had a right to feel safe...He is an associate professor you know.