• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So you want to get tough ?

bb

imported post

I'm in for that taxwhat. It needs to get in the planning stages.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

taxwhat wrote:
Venator wrote:
You know I'm in.
My wife wants to sit next to you [ must have pony tail]
Of course she does, she knows a manly man when she sees one. As for the pony tail, I might be able to pull it off, but the hair will be white. I'll try and send a picture soon.

joshuaeberly

imported post

xd-40 wrote:
submitted FOIA request on the 13'th for engineering and electrical plans for our city PD. I need to know if there's ANY public access to the federal bankruptcy court in the same building. if there is not, I do believe that the "no guns past this point" sign in the PD is unlawful, and if there is, every individual, including myself, who had a handgun "safety inspected" on those premises committed a federal offense, and every officer who accepted a firearm for "safety inspection" aided in the commission of this federal offense.
Received a letter yesterday stating that they are extending their deadline another 10 days (to a total of 15) currently compiling my request and then will examine for "exemptions".
I am going to contact them monday, and offer them a compromise, I'll save them the trouble of compiling and examining those stacks of documents, if they get me my answer, NOW, without cost. (as they did not meet their deadline, and did not notify me of the extension until their deadline had expired).
request denied, would "endanger the police department" "endanger the city employees" "endanger the citizens of GR",

grrrr,
new, narrower request sent, via email. they do not comply with new, narrow, nice request, I'm calling a lawyer.

taxwhat

imported post

xd-40 wrote:
xd-40 wrote:
submitted FOIA request on the 13'th for engineering and electrical plans for our city PD. I need to know if there's ANY public access to the federal bankruptcy court in the same building. if there is not, I do believe that the "no guns past this point" sign in the PD is unlawful, and if there is, every individual, including myself, who had a handgun "safety inspected" on those premises committed a federal offense, and every officer who accepted a firearm for "safety inspection" aided in the commission of this federal offense.
Received a letter yesterday stating that they are extending their deadline another 10 days (to a total of 15) currently compiling my request and then will examine for "exemptions".
I am going to contact them monday, and offer them a compromise, I'll save them the trouble of compiling and examining those stacks of documents, if they get me my answer, NOW, without cost. (as they did not meet their deadline, and did not notify me of the extension until their deadline had expired).
request denied, would "endanger the police department" "endanger the city employees" "endanger the citizens of GR",

grrrr,
new, narrower request sent, via email. they do not comply with new, narrow, nice request, I'm calling a lawyer.
Pick up YOUR empty BRASS ! Now Nicely Reply ask WHOM decided what,WHY ?Your attempt remind me of a time I was told at a public meeting to "sit down and shut up ". I did but fill in LOVE with " OPEN MEETING ACT and her sister FOI Act " we make LOVE sometimes ALL together ! :what:

joshuaeberly

imported post

Code:
I am requesting, under the FOIA, to know who authorized the placement of a "no 
firearms beyond this point without permission of the chief of police" sign in 
the GRPD, and under whose/what authority it was placed. 
thank you 

-snip- "clearly your freedom of information act request seeks to have the city 
of grand rapids answer a question or conduct legal research. your request 
does not seek a copy of a public record. therefore, your request is denied."

joshuaeberly

imported post

Code:
I am requesting, under the FOIA, that I be furnished with a copy of the purchase 
order for the "no firearms beyond this point without permission of the chief of 
police" sign, which is located in the GRPD.

tomorrow, record of origin of funds
friday, all cellphone numbers owned by city

monday?

taxwhat

imported post

OK I know we are all having cabin fever,jobs ,pocket cash,food ,heat and family.Some may even have spare time ? So if you do ? BJ needs input and help [volunteers with time and/or skills ,talents ,friends and contacts ] .The hope of a stand alone bold new kid on the block .Are you a real player or just hot air ?

taxwhat

imported post

Hi John As always a pleasure to speak with you .If you and Senator RR would be so kind as to help me find the right contacts . Questions are as follows . 1. -Handgun -Ownership-With/and/or Without Cpl ? Transport -What is Legal ? Gun free Zone -protect Who ? In GFZ Open Carry and/or CPL Carry ? In Liquor by Glass or buy Package ? Definitions Need Clearing up ? Preemption Laws City ordinances against ? Legal ? Why does One Need A Lawyer ? Safest way to comply if stopped [ Legally or not ] ? Some Teeth so mistreated honest that are wronged by stupid .What is a Legal CPL class ? Who enforces same and if not ? http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/21509.html2.- Next How ,Who ,What, Why ,Where ? Things that go boom and or things that leave ground and go boom ? How many children must die or be injured by Holiday Fireworks ? Why is no one doing anything ? Is it a crime if you buy fireworks with a CPL and/or gun in your possession?3.- Last definition from AG on retired Police officer Receiving state pension ? [What If Never worked for state or was injured while on duty ?] What is IN good standing ? What if person filed workman's comp ? What if Agency dissolved or no longer operational ? Thank You both PS 4.-county court house on weapon ban is IMO :to broad as per Mi. Constitution, no problem if it is a court room or judges cambers or jury room or etc not entire building that has multiple uses .Many other city and county courts have changed before litigation took place . My Mi. house Rep. chose to pass stating ""More important to Find Jobs for unemployed that change or correct entire gun or fireworks Laws "" ?? Nice Job Kate rep # 55 My Plan make Government do their Job or get OUT !..........many other documents and much more exchanged these are but highlights of very enlightening conversation .Will up date as it if it happens :what:

taxwhat

imported post

other viewpoints
They won’t tell you who is getting YOUR money

[align=justify]
“No government has ever mis­spent, overspent, stolen or other­wise misused so much as a single nickel taken from any taxpayer.” “Guns don’t kill people, people kill people.”

BY KENNETH M. BRAUN

T
hese statements are true because only people — not their tools — may be held responsible for bad behavior.
As media and transparency advocates take notice of Sun­shine Week 2009 this week, this axiom should serve as a ruler to measure the sincerity of politi­cians posing as champions of government spending trans­parency. Like the villain with a gun, a bad actor on a public payroll can be a signal of great misdeeds.
Examples abound, such as the son of embattled U.S. Sen. Ro­land Burris of Illinois getting a job on the state payroll from Rod Blagojevich, the disgraced former governor who appointed Burris to the Senate seat under extraor­dinarily controversial circum­stances.
The unprecedented cronyism (even for Detroit) of former De­troit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick’s “friends and family plan” hiring policy is another example. It is very important for the public to know who is getting taxpayer­funded jobs when a politician puts out a “help wanted” sign.
With so many of Michigan’s elected officials championing state spending transparency, you would expect that the staffing details of these politicians would be easy to find. And you’d be disappointed. With the exception of two state representatives, most of the politicians saying that they want to shine a brighter light on public finances are keeping the taxpayers in the dark about who is getting the tax dollars under their direct control.
Gov. Jennifer Granholm was talking transparency almost as soon as she took office. Executive Order 2003-8, issued on Feb. 27, 2003, directed the creation of a task force that would lead to the establishment “by the Depart­ment of Management and Budget of an online, searchable database of state vendor and contract information to increase the transparency of state contractual activities.” But this worthwhile baby step in the direction of mov­ing state spending details from the 19th century to the 21st soon became a “get out of jail free” card that the administration has waved whenever presented with more thorough transparency requests.
In 2007, the Lansing State Journal attempted to acquire the names and salaries of the political appointees working for the governor. The newspaper reported that the governor’s office “would not disclose the salaries of her staff, nor would the gover­nor’s office disclose the number of employees serving on her or the lieutenant governor’s staff.”
Last year, the Mackinac Center for Public Policy’s “Show Michi­gan the Money” transparency project again asked the gover­nor’s office to regularly post on a state Web site both the names and salaries of state employees, but the governor’s office asserted that “this level of detail provides little value to the taxpayer.”
While the governor is the most powerful and highest profile state official to advocate greater sunlight on spending, and then demur when it came to her own staff, she is not alone. On Feb. 5, Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox and the Republican caucus in the Michigan House of Represen­tatives held a press conference to boast of their own transparency accomplishments and to call upon the governor to create a search­able database for all state spend­ing.
House Minority Leader Kevin Elsenheimer, R-Bellaire, pro­claimed himself the first law­maker in state history to post his spending online. And yet, with an annual office budget of $482,000, the vast majority of which is spent on salaries for his staff, Rep. Elsenheimer’s historic online report does not list a single staff name or salary.
This oversight is replicated by nearly every member of his supposedly pro-transparency caucus (most of whom have an annual budget of $100,000 to both pay for staff and all other office expenses.) Just two legislators with two full-time employees each, Rep.
Tom McMillin, R-Rochester Hills, and Rep. Justin Amash, R-Kent­wood, provided a detailed picture of their spending by posting names and salaries. (It bears not­ing that both lawmakers are new, having just taken office in Janu­ary.) As with the governor’s 2003 Executive Order, the attorney gen­eral provided an online database of his contracts last year. Since then, he repeatedly has called upon the governor to commit to a state spending Web site compara­ble to the Missouri Accountability Portal (mapyourtaxes.mo.gov.) This is indeed a laudable goal for him to support, as the impres­sive Missouri Web site provides that state’s spending data in a searchable format and in great detail ... including the names and salaries of state employees.
And yet, though the examples of Reps. McMillin and Amash show that providing names and salaries is possible for even the newest of state officials, the attorney general has not taken this step in his own office, even after a year of demanding a higher transpar­ency standard for the rest of state government.
Likewise, while Secretary of State Terri Lynn Land provides the most complete expenditure re­port of any state official, even this laudable effort does not include employee names and salaries.
Tax dollars do not spend them­selves. Ultimately, any champion of state spending transparency is effectively demanding more exposure of who is getting the dollars that have been taken from the hard-working people of Michi­gan. Public officials who seriously want to bring about this impor­tant goal should set an example and start the sunshine at home.
Editor’s note:
Rep. Marty Knol­lenberg, R-Troy, posted staff names and salaries on his Web site after this commentary was written.
Kenneth M. Braun is a policy analyst specializing in fiscal and budgetary issues with the Macki­nac Center for Public Policy, a research and educational institute headquartered in Midland.
[/align]

none.gif