• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

South Chipotle in Longmont.

cscitney87

Glad I had some back up on this one.

You guys are right. It is ABSURD to try and defend the alternative.

Oh well we're not all perfect. But honestly- Original Poster- would you please consider keeping an open mind about the situation? If so- please try to understand that your muzzle really, honestly, actually DOES need to be pointed in a safe direction at all times. Thank you, Sir.

mahkagari

Glad I had some back up on this one.

No, darling, I don't think so. The above poster was backing up a side with reason. Not the side that condescendingly quips "Apples and Oranges, pal" and when called to defend the point calls his opposition "retarded".

Last edited:

Las Vegan

If one is bound and determined to wear it in that manner, sit with the back to the wall

Even if I were to sit with my back to a wall in a restaurant, I'd have to walk past all of the other customers to get there. If I'm driving a car, I'm pointing the muzzle at the back seat passengers. Even if I only wear it at the range, I'm placing the lives of everyone behind the firing line in danger. I can't help but wonder why almost every single holster manufacturer offers horizontal shoulder holsters. They must not understand how dangerous they are.

Last edited:

bcbrown2

Even if I were to sit with my back to a wall in a restaurant, I'd have to walk past all of the other customers to get there. If I'm driving a car, I'm pointing the muzzle at the back seat passengers. Even if I only wear it at the range, I'm placing the lives of everyone behind the firing line in danger. I can't help but wonder why almost every single holster manufacturer offers horizontal shoulder holsters. They must not understand how dangerous they are.

Bingo. I was not trying to legitimize its use, simply point out that if one were bound and determined to do it a modicum of decency would insure one wasn't grubbing barbacoa and sweeping the dining room at the same time although, yes, in order to sit down it would have been necessary to walk it through the joint.

Most conscientious CCW permit holders I know sit with their back to the wall and face the door anyway...

Again, this has the potential to be instructive, even if it is a little direct.

Be safe out there...

Gunslinger

You're still missing the point. It is the 'perception' that it might, not the reality of ND ocurring. Covered, it presents no such perception problem. Covered or not, the danger of ND in a properly carried pistol is slight. The "out of sight out of mind" axiom is the instant solution to the perception problem.

Freightdog

As others have mentioned, it is impossible to comply 100% with Rule #1. Even so, I can't support wearing a horizontal holster openly. It's like the mosque at Ground Zero; you are completely within your rights, and I support your freedom to do stupid things, but you're not doing yourself or your movement any favors.

Las Vegan

Open carrying in a horizontal shoulder holster is "stupid." Got it.

For all of you who keep talking about the basic rules of safety, let's go to the source. Here is Jeff Cooper quoted verbatim:

"If the weapon is assembled and in someone's hands, it is capable of being discharged. A firearm holstered properly, lying on a table, or placed in a scabbard is of no danger to anyone. Only when handled is there a need for concern."

Got it? It's safe. Gun muzzles don't go "boom" because you can see them. And again, if sweeping the muzzle while holstered was a basic safety issue then none of the major manufacturers would be selling horizontal shoulder holsters.

For those of you who say that the holster is ok as long as it's covered by something like a jacket, I say look away or close your eyes or sit somewhere else where your feelings won't be hurt. You being upset seeing an open holster of this style makes as much sense as an anti being upset seeing you open carry in a belt holster. Tell yourself whatever you would tell them. "It's safe. It's legal. It's my right. It's not insulting or rude or dangerous to you. I'm sorry that you have been so brainwashed. I'm going back to what I was doing now. Have a nice day."

cscitney87

The primary firearm safety rule usually listed by any source is a version of "Always keep the gun pointed in safe direction." Following this rule ensures that, should an accidental discharge occur, no harm will be done.

Batousaii

Manners and Etiquette

Well, after reading the whole post, my impression is that this post in and of itself would do more damage to our "public image" than the OP's rig. I personally don't like Horizontal rigs, mostly based on the external perception (muzzle flagging everything around it), but I also consider the perception the candor of my post leaves if viewed by the general (curious) public reading this forum. On a social level, I think the OP did just fine dealing with the grumpy old guy. If I was the old guy, I probably would have just moved. Do I think H-rigs unsafe? NO. Do they make people itchy? YES. Am I going to berate and act brash against my fellow open carriers? NO… maybe I would try to politely express why I myself don’t like a certain style of carry .. Sure, but with some manners and etiquette, and in a way that shows the outside public that we as gun owners are not rude obnoxious types that go for each other’s throat over a difference of opinion. Maybe instead I would try to suggest other methods, or simply understand that this OP isn’t going to change his style, and simply offer that he learn to accept that the old man’s reaction may repeat itself when encountering random people that don’t like being flagged.

- We should be a bit more courteous to each other if we are to tout the concern of affecting public image regarding Open Carry.

Kindly

Bat
P.S. I will however note some have held a polite yet firm stance on an issue, and to them, I tip my hat with due respect. A true form of strength is to stay one's own tounge and emotion in the midst of beravement.

Last edited:

Las Vegan

The primary firearm safety rule usually listed by any source is a version of "Always keep the gun pointed in safe direction." Following this rule ensures that, should an accidental discharge occur, no harm will be done.

Actually it's "Treat every firearm as if it were loaded," followed by a version of "Always keep the gun pointed in safe direction," which Mr. Cooper was kind enough to explain to those not familiar with firearms meant an upholstered firearm.

cscitney87

Actually it's "Treat every firearm as if it were loaded," followed by a version of "Always keep the gun pointed in safe direction," which Mr. Cooper was kind enough to explain to those not familiar with firearms meant an upholstered firearm.

Actually that's wikipedia's fault. Direct copy and paste.

S

scubabeme

So what...

SO the firearm is holsterd and the muzzle is pointed at me...so what. The OP just sitting there enjoying a burrito (BTW--those are just too dang big for me!) will NOT cause the firearm to discharge--even it's a worn out POS. I might ask him what it was out of curiosity, even though I'd probably be able to identify it as a 1911 from just the muzzle view. Wouldn't matter if he had it covered with a jacket--that'd just mean I didn't know it was there in the first place--no functional difference whatsoever. Personal opinion & feelings.

Cooper DID make it clear that the muzzle of a properly holstered (which includes a trigger guard--virtually ALL modern holsters are designed with that in mind, even the minimalist types) weapon is essentially safe to be oriented (not pointed in the sense that it's not in-hand) in any direction. That is, one is not "covering" anyone/anything with it in that circumstance. To argue "what-ifs" about the possibility that he might overly excited and release the safety and pull the trigger while drawing the weapon is rather overzealous. He could just as easily INTEND to release the safety and fire while drawing (gotta clear the trigger guard first...)--you know because he's an unsafe loose cannon. Besides, are you SURE that your belt-holstered weapon absolutely NEVER points at some part of your own body? How about during that oh so dangerous draw (and I'm not being sarcastic here!) or reholstering?

I also understand the OP's reluctance to meet the complainant's in-your-face-ire with the proverbial honey. However difficult it is, the "kinder, gentler" approach in general goes much further in "influencing enemies." On the other hand, I wasn't there, so I can't really say just how I'd have reacted, but his response was at least not as openly hostile as the complainant's--which could have made things ugly and definitely wouldn't help the movement.

All in all, he did OK on my opinion.

Las Vegan

Scubabeme, agreed on all points. The bozo that the OP had to deal with used profanity multiple times and called him an idiot. Sorry friends, but I don't try to pet a poorly behaved dog that's growling and baring its teeth at me. It gets an education all right, but not one that is sugar coated.

trooper46

SO the firearm is holsterd and the muzzle is pointed at me...so what. The OP just sitting there enjoying a burrito (BTW--those are just too dang big for me!) will NOT cause the firearm to discharge--even it's a worn out POS. I might ask him what it was out of curiosity, even though I'd probably be able to identify it as a 1911 from just the muzzle view. Wouldn't matter if he had it covered with a jacket--that'd just mean I didn't know it was there in the first place--no functional difference whatsoever. Personal opinion & feelings.

Cooper DID make it clear that the muzzle of a properly holstered (which includes a trigger guard--virtually ALL modern holsters are designed with that in mind, even the minimalist types) weapon is essentially safe to be oriented (not pointed in the sense that it's not in-hand) in any direction. That is, one is not "covering" anyone/anything with it in that circumstance. To argue "what-ifs" about the possibility that he might overly excited and release the safety and pull the trigger while drawing the weapon is rather overzealous. He could just as easily INTEND to release the safety and fire while drawing (gotta clear the trigger guard first...)--you know because he's an unsafe loose cannon. Besides, are you SURE that your belt-holstered weapon absolutely NEVER points at some part of your own body? How about during that oh so dangerous draw (and I'm not being sarcastic here!) or reholstering?

I also understand the OP's reluctance to meet the complainant's in-your-face-ire with the proverbial honey. However difficult it is, the "kinder, gentler" approach in general goes much further in "influencing enemies." On the other hand, I wasn't there, so I can't really say just how I'd have reacted, but his response was at least not as openly hostile as the complainant's--which could have made things ugly and definitely wouldn't help the movement.

All in all, he did OK on my opinion.

The chance of the mentioned firearm going off is irrelevant. No matter how one wants to spin this, the fact remains that the muzzle of a loaded firearm under the OP's control was pointed at man and his wife. There are two things at issue here: respect and basic firearms safety.

I will answer your well thought out points in these contexts. First, safety of the manner of carry. It is true that a verticle holster may point at the body part of the person wearing it. However, that is MY leg or foot that it is pointing at and that is because I CHOSE to wear a holster with the remote possibility that the weapon could go off and injure myself. It does not point at anyone else and maintains the muzzle of my firearm in a safe direction. The people who the original OP exposed to the buisness end of a pistol DID NOT choose to be exposed to that risk. In effect, the OP has chosen to carry in this manner for a "comfort" reason and expose them to risk they did not ask for. If you can go about your daily life and feel comfortable with the loaded weapon pointed at part of your body, awesome! But don't be so shocked when other people are not as happy about having a loaded weapon pointed at them. They do not and should not have to have the buisness end of a weapon pointed at them simply because it's more comfortable for you.

You made a point about drawing. Drawing is not a reasonable comparison to this situation. The only reason I would draw my weapon in public is for the purpose of self-defense, once that situation occurs, all bets are off. You are in survival mode and the removal of the threat takes 1st priority in order to preserve life and limb. But in the peaceful setting of the OP's situation, there is no legitimate reason for the weapon to be pointed at anyone.

You may very well ask yourself? Why are these people so paranoid about muzzle awareness? It's not going to just go off on it's own magicly....

Well, those of us who have worked on a range, been in the military (I would think you especially would know better, but then again I've never been in the Airforce), been a LEO, or other profession that involves working with firearms on a daily basis, many of us HAVE seen weapons that were supposedly safe "magicly" go off and people get killed. It does happen, it can happen, and if Murphy has his way that day, it will happen. These are occurances that you do not forget and...trust me, you never want to see it happen again. So, yes, people tend to get a little emotional when discussing firearms safety because we've watched idiots kill their buddy because the weapon "magicly" went off.

I'm not suprised the man responded the way he did. I do not expect to have a loaded weapon pointed at me and especially not at my family. What if it did go off and kill someone, do you think there's a chance in hell your not gonna get slapped with a negligent homicide charge. I think he totally would have been justified in asking the manager to boot the OP. Bottom line,

Someone pointing a loaded weapon at someone for "comfort" reasons = selfish BLUE FALCON

Last edited: